Semi final dates are clearly unfair to United

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
United play Chelsea as we all know in the semi finals and that is the Sunday fixture of that weekend. City v Arsenal is the Saturday game.

However in the midweek leading up to the semi finals United play on the Thursday night away at Palace and Chelsea play on the Tuesday at home to Norwich meaning they get an extra 2 days rest than we do for the semi final. And with an easier fixture just to rub the salt in.

Now we can't help how the fixtures fall but the rest days need to be looked at there for me. Absolute joke in my opinion. Arsenal n City both getting getting same gap between the midweek games and their semi final but we aren't. Huge advantage to Chelsea in my opinion.

All due to TV no doubt too.

sparx99

Yeah it clearly sucks. At least we can travel to London early and just stay for the cup semi assuming it’s at Wembley. Less travel.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
To be fair, Chelsea play Saturday then Tuesday before hand, I think it's fairly even overall in terms of days rest.
But yeah, it probably gives them a slight advantage overall, however we have the bigger squad so I still fancy our chances.

Red00012

Yeah it clearly sucks. At least we can travel to London early and just stay for the cup semi assuming it’s at Wembley. Less travel.
Id imagine it doesn’t work like that especially with what’s going on at the moment.

They travelled to Norwich on Saturday ,came back to Manchester and then on to Brighton Tuesday .

A-man

Match days. it's a big puzzle to solve and no way you can make everybody happy.

PeteManic

United play Chelsea as we all know in the semi finals and that is the Sunday fixture of that weekend. City v Arsenal is the Saturday game.

However in the midweek leading up to the semi finals United play on the Thursday night away at Palace and Chelsea play on the Tuesday at home to Norwich meaning they get an extra 2 days rest than we do for the semi final. And with an easier fixture just to rub the salt in.

Now we can't help how the fixtures fall but the rest days need to be looked at there for me. Absolute joke in my opinion. Arsenal n City both getting getting same gap between the midweek games and their semi final but we aren't. Huge advantage to Chelsea in my opinion.

All due to TV no doubt too.
Mou, is that you?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its a fair point. Two days extra for Chelsea is a pretty significant advantage. It means they get to recover AND prepare for this match whereas we will simply have time to recover.

Playing on the Monday night prior to this for TV purposes has played havoc with our schedule. Its simply bad luck that the on paper easiest fixture for that week (Soton Home) on the Monday is the one we will have most preparation time for.

RickG19

Wouldn't you rather have the extra time before the league game... since that's more important?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Wouldn't you rather have the extra time before the league game... since that's more important?
Not for me. We should beat Soton at home. The fact that its a semi final and against Chelsea elevates this fixture for me, and we know that there's no way Ole plays anything less than his best available team.

rotherham_red

I mean, Thursday-Sunday isn't that bad, considering we've been having such a schedule all season and have had substantial recent experience of doing so due to the Europa League.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I mean, Thursday-Sunday isn't that bad, considering we've been having such a schedule all season and have had substantial recent experience of doing so due to the Europa League.
No its not that bad agreed, and we do have experience of Thursday night football this season.

However the purpose for the thread is still worth pointing out if nothing else. Chelsea have a comfortable Saturday/Tuesday/Sunday schedule compared to Uniteds Monday/Thursday/Sunday.

There's no doubt that it gives them an advantage going into the game, and I'm sure we've been on the right side of these before and we will again, but nonetheless its hard to argue that, in this instance, the scheduling is unfair on us.

AshRK

Ole has to rotate the squad but wisely. I would keep periera and lingard as far as from starting the game. He can rest Matic against Palace and play fred or Mctominay who have showed they are more than capable of doing well. I feel.we should beat palace even without Matic and Pogba. You can also rest shaw and play brandon and even rest martial or rashford and start Ighalo for a change in the league. I just wouldn't make changes in bulk as that just disrupts the momentum as we saw in Norwich game.

Goku23

I dont expect a full team vs Chelsea anyway it would be foolish CL qualification is a must the FA cup is a nice bonus but not important right now

rotherham_red

No its not that bad agreed, and we do have experience of Thursday night football this season.

However the purpose for the thread is still worth pointing out if nothing else. Chelsea have a comfortable Saturday/Tuesday/Sunday schedule compared to Uniteds Monday/Thursday/Sunday.

There's no doubt that it gives them an advantage going into the game, and I'm sure we've been on the right side of these before and we will again, but nonetheless its hard to argue that, in this instance, the scheduling is unfair on us.
Yeah, you're right in that sense, but it probably evens out for most of the teams during this condensed portion of the season.

rotherham_red

Ole has to rotate the squad but wisely. I would keep periera and lingard as far as from starting the game. He can rest Matic against Palace and play fred or Mctominay who have showed they are more than capable of doing well. I feel.we should beat palace even without Matic and Pogba. You can also rest shaw and play brandon and even rest martial or rashford and start Ighalo for a change in the league. I just wouldn't make changes in bulk as that just disrupts the momentum as we saw in Norwich game.
I think the key is that at least one of Pogba or Bruno have to play in any of the rotated line ups. I think today would be a good opportunity for Fred to come in for Bruno and have Pogba as the 10, after Bruno's exertions Vs Norwich last week. And then for Palace, I'd have McTominay starting instead of Pogba and have Bruno starting. And obviously both Bruno and Pogba should start the games against Chelsea and Leicester. The West Ham and Southampton games should be opportunities for limited rotation as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels a while since we moaned about schedules. So it's good news we're in the advanced rounds of cups for it to be a thing again!

Nickelodeon

I’ll be happy to rotate for the Chelsea game and play like underdogs in the first 60 mins. Hopefully, we remain in the game. Then we unleash our stars.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The entire season extension is abit farcical for everyone, and will throw up absurd scenario's for everyone. It is what it is. You just have to plan for it.
OGS is lucky to have his entire squad available, so needs to be strategic with selection and subs to ensure his best players are fresh for the biggest games.