Television Serengeti (BBC Documentary)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surprised there's not mention of this already. A big budget BBC doco without Attenborough, instead with John Boyega narrating.

Lots of people don't like it for that alone, but I rate him.

Lots of people also complaining it's heavily and obviously edited to create a made up storyline, something I think Attenborough's docos have suffered from in my opinion, although most would rather lap up the story there than think about it.

I've enjoyed it though, and as much as I do like Attenborough narrating, a change is nice. BBC just need to stop dramatising and humanising things so much, to the point where they're switching between times of day, seasons, and locations to sew their story together.

Also wondering how the feck this fire started that's on now? Considering they showed a tree being struck by lightning just as their drone swooped over it. Is it all cgi perhaps? Certainly wouldn't put that past the BBC.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Made in Chelsea with Animals. If you aged over 6 years old you’ll find the narratives tiresome.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Serengeti was a deliberate dramatization I thought, Attenborough stuff is completely different in my opinion, this program isn't intended to educate on the animals themselves but to tell a story through editing. Which is basically what they did with Dynasties only that was good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Made in Chelsea with Animals. If you aged over 6 years old you’ll find the narratives tiresome.
I do but I did with Attenborough's recent stuff too. At least Dynasties sort of owned it though, as @Stobzilla says, and the shots were truly incredible. The latest Planet Earth was as bad if not worse for it though, and everyone buzzed their teets off about it.

Irwin99

Surprised there's not mention of this already. A big budget BBC doco without Attenborough, instead with John Boyega narrating.

Lots of people don't like it for that alone, but I rate him.

Lots of people also complaining it's heavily and obviously edited to create a made up storyline, something I think Attenborough's docos have suffered from in my opinion, although most would rather lap up the story there than think about it.

I've enjoyed it though, and as much as I do like Attenborough narrating, a change is nice. BBC just need to stop dramatising and humanising things so much, to the point where they're switching between times of day, seasons, and locations to sew their story together.

Also wondering how the feck this fire started that's on now? Considering they showed a tree being struck by lightning just as their drone swooped over it. Is it all cgi perhaps? Certainly wouldn't put that past the BBC.
I've noticed that with a lot of the BBC footage of wildlife in Africa and not just this series; that it's all stitched together from different sources, different times/places and different animals. Really poor stuff.

Member 39557

It's really terribly done. I feel sorry for Boyega as he's a more than competent narrator but the made up story and the tone of the writing, such as describing things as "us", and "ours", makes the whole thing sound awful.
The way they stitched all the footage together is blatantly false too. This animal is about to attack it's prey, followed by an impossibly close ground level shot of the animal walking face on towards the camera. It's like they're not even trying.

The music is annoying as feck too.

Some of the footage is great, but the overall programme ruins it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Whenever I see it's on TV I start singing Africa by Toto... and then watch something else.