Sergej Milinković-Savić

kps88

The only problem with SMS that I really see:

In other words, if he does poorly for us, we'll have deadweight. If he does well for us, we could end up with a frustrating headache instead.
If his performances for us earn him a move to Madrid, he'd instantly become the best signing we've made in years.

Idxomer

Rabiot I agree is a player who wouldn’t improve us. But SMS is on another level when compared to the dross we’ve been linked over the past few days. I would happily take him to play CM.
They both aren't of a similar profile to De Jong and they don't offer something that different to what we already have. They will be more effective but they aren't gonna help us play the way Ten Hag wants imo.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
They both aren't of a similar profile to De Jong and they don't offer something that different to what we already have. They will be more effective but they aren't gonna help us play the way Ten Hag wants imo.
SMS doesn’t offer something different to what we have? Fred and McT can’t play a simple pass without giving the ball away and they certainly can’t dribble without giving away possession either. SMS can be the link between defense and attack that ETh is looking for. He is strong, doesn’t fold under pressure, can pick a pass and can dribble with the ball upfield.

saik

Every player dreams of playing for the Spanish giants. That isn’t a concern. He is already 27. Madrid will go and get the next big thing.
Ehh they already have spent big in Tchouameni to add to Camavinga. Their midfield is set for the next few years.

RDCR07

Ehh they already have spent big in Tchouameni to add to Camavinga. Their midfield is set for the next few years.
That’s not going to stop them from getting the next big player who comes through in a couple of years.

Idxomer

SMS doesn’t offer something different to what we have? Fred and McT can’t play a simple pass without giving the ball away and they certainly can’t dribble without giving away possession either. SMS can be the link between defense and attack that ETh is looking for. He is strong, doesn’t fold under pressure, can pick a pass and can dribble with the ball upfield.
I'm comparing him more to Bruno and Eriksen and I don't think he's great under pressure despite his strength.

saik

That’s not going to stop them from getting the next big player who comes through in a couple of years.
Oh for sure they won't but I think their focus will be to add a striker in the future. That is why I think our chance to sign Sesko has gone. If he hits it off at Leipzig he will have Barca, Bayern and Real all looking for strikers in a couple of years.

RDCR07

I'm comparing him more to Bruno and Eriksen and I don't think he's great under pressure despite his strength.
Why would you compare him to Bruno? SMS isn’t going to play #10? I would start Eriksen at #10 and SMS in the #8. Bruno needs to know he is not indispensable. His performances haven’t been up to the mark for a good 12-15 months.

angak

He is 10x the player Bruno is. A genuine world class midfielder.

Lazio fans see him as a god.

JohnnyLaw

His touch and close control is excellent
It is and it isn’t, In the same way Pogbas was and Pogba couldn’t handle the press either. Not consistently anyways.

If we signed him I’d leave the build-up to Eriksen and hopefully Frenkie or someone like him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It is and it isn’t, In the same way Pogbas was and Pogba couldn’t handle the press either. Not consistently anyways.

If we signed him I’d leave the build-up to Eriksen and hopefully Frenkie or someone like him.
He isn't being signed to play as a #6. He will replace McTominay as the box-to-box midfielder

RDCR07

The reason Pogba kept giving the ball away was he never kept it simple. He always tried to do complicated things and tried too hard. That’s why when it came off it looked great but most times he lost possession. SMS is different. He keeps it much simpler on the ground. So he doesn’t lose possession as much.

Devil may care

€68M for this plank will see us lumbered with more unsaleable deadwood, a midfield trio of him, Rabiot and Eriksen will barely scrape top 6.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The reason Pogba kept giving the ball away was he never kept it simple. He always tried to do complicated things and tried too hard. That’s why when it came off it looked great but most times he lost possession. SMS is different. He keeps it much simpler on the ground. So he doesn’t lose possession as much.
He loses possession as much as Pogba but with a far worse pass completion rate.

SungSam7

Agreed, the amount of times he tried to play fancy like he believed he was the best in the yard among school kids. Yeah he pulled off a highlight or 2 in some games that wowed fans, but in games when it cams to grafting, he couldnt be bothered to get stuck in.

Add to that, he'd do stupid stuff deep in our half putting unnecessary pressure on our defence. Wasted talent, no one can deny the talent he has, but he couldn't be fecked when things weren't going right.

saik

€68M for this plank will see us lumbered with more unsaleable deadwood, a midfield trio of him, Rabiot and Eriksen will barely scrape top 6.
What other realistic options do you suggest? Or do you much rather prefer we keep playing with McT, Fred and Bruno and that will help us get top 4?

Devil may care

What other realistic options do you suggest? Or do you much rather prefer we keep playing with McT, Fred and Bruno and that will help us get top 4?
I don't want any of them bar Eriksen, we'll barely scrape top 6 whether it's McFred or this lump and the trash from Juve.

RDCR07

He loses possession as much as Pogba but with a far worse pass completion rate.
I disagree. SMS is a much better player with his back to goal and much better at hold up play. Pogba only does well when he is surrounded by good players. Same with Juventus when he had Pirlo and Vidal behind him and same with France when he plays with better talent next to him.

saik

I don't want any of them bar Eriksen, we'll barely scrape top 6 whether it's McFred or this lump and the trash from Juve.
I don't know. I feel like there's some serious underrating of SMS here when people say he isn't any better than McT which is who he will be replacing.

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree. SMS is a much better player with his back to goal and much better at hold up play. Pogba only does well when he is surrounded by good players. Same with Juventus when he had Pirlo and Vidal behind him and same with France when he plays with better talent next to him.
You may disagree but what you wrote was factually wrong. You are talking about a player with career stats around 5 possession losses per 90 and 77% pass completion rate. Pogba is around 4 possession losses per 90 and 83% pass completion rate. SMS loses the ball more not less.

Idxomer

SMS losing the ball a lot is a fact.

Devil may care

I don't know. I feel like there's some serious underrating of SMS here when people say he isn't any better than McT which is who he will be replacing.
McTominay is crap, being better than him isn't anything special, for the price we might as well go for Neves who is PL tested, if we want a technically sound but limited mobility midfielder.

OT_United

SMS would be a top top buy. But if we're willing to spend £50-60m on him, why aren't we willing to spend that on holding midfielder which we desperately need like Ndidi rather than another box-to-box.

JohnnyLaw

He isn't being signed to play as a #6. He will replace McTominay as the box-to-box midfielder
Hopefully, yes.

I’ve seen SMS be similarly clumsy in build up.

JPRouve

Scout
Also attempts an average of 10 more passes per game putting him in the 91st percentile (Pogba 68th)
Pogba averages 51 passes per 90 over his career against 47 for SMS.