Sergej Milinkovic Savic

iamkiranks

No way we're going to spend upwards of 80 million for him. If we do, it will be to replace Pogba imo. We definitely won't spend 50m & 90 -100m for two CMs, where both can't start every game together. We should rather buy a rotation CM for about 30 and spend the rest on a quality CB or FB

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No way we're going to spend upwards of 80 million for him. If we do, it will be to replace Pogba imo. We definitely won't spend 50m & 90 -100m for two CMs, where both can't start every game together. We should rather buy a rotation CM for about 30 and spend the rest on a quality CB or FB
I agree

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
@ForeverARed @Globule

Matic was over £30m and almost guaranteed to start.

Then you have Pogba and Savic over £80m each and Fred around £50m.

I agree we need a stronger squad and more options. But I don’t think we should be signing savic and Fred for a fortune and benching one of them.

Maybe Golovin instead of Savic.

Cliche Guevara

Maybe Pogba was slacking because he thought he was irreplaceable, and these links to SMS were just to give him a boot up the arse. Some players need that from time to time.

Maybe we wanted him as a squad option at £40-£50m but the ridiculous price has put us off.

Who knows.

Craig Ward

We/You are grossly exaggerating how ‘bad’ Pogba’s season was for us. It seems Souness has polluted the minds of many. In many, many games Paul Pogba was far and away our best player. When he plays well, we go up at least one level. And this isn’t just some hypothetical, his actually happened on more occasions than it didn’t last season, and I imagine if you hop over to the forum next door - it would show that he’s won MOTM on here more often than he’s had poor games.

What do you do when you sign a next 23/24 year old midfielder for £100m who has bad games sometimes? Any idea of selling Paul Pogba is ridiculous. He’s one of probably no more than 3 players in our entire squad that we should not entertain selling if we want to get back to being one of the best teams in world football.
Please re-read my comments.

I never said we should sell Pogba - I'm just not prepared to hype him up and deem him world class and unsellable until his performances warrant that praise on a consistent basis.

He is not world class and cannot be compared to the likes of Kroos/Modric/De Bruyne etc.

I agree we should keep Pogba and hope he develops as he should. We shouldn't look to sell our better players, that wasn't the meaning of my post. The previous comment suggested w eshouldnt sell Pogba for anyone in the world. I dont hold Pogba in that high regard. I'd swap him for Kroos/Verrati/De Bruyne in a heartbeat because they are all better than him

Biji.Kelot

Is he really worth that much ? He plays for Lazio for feck sake. The team which bottled their CL campaign at home.

What special attributes does he have ? If we are gonna throw $80 or $100 millions, we should throw it to ready-made player, not that one with potential. Haven't we learnt ?

He is aint Modric, even not better than Nainggolan, why should us spurn hefty money for him ? With the budget you can get Mahrez and Ndidi, they may not fancy but they will complete our lack of midfield. One AM and one DM. EPL proven.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Personally the 4321 or 4312 looks very promising.

Midfield of Fred, Pogba and Savic with Sanchez behind Lukaku and a another.

James Peril

Please re-read my comments.

I never said we should sell Pogba - I'm just not prepared to hype him up and deem him world class and unsellable until his performances warrant that praise on a consistent basis.

He is not world class and cannot be compared to the likes of Kroos/Modric/De Bruyne etc.

I agree we should keep Pogba and hope he develops as he should. We shouldn't look to sell our better players, that wasn't the meaning of my post. The previous comment suggested w eshouldnt sell Pogba for anyone in the world. I dont hold Pogba in that high regard. I'd swap him for Kroos/Verrati/De Bruyne in a heartbeat because they are all better than him
Oddly enough, a lot of posters on here compared him to de Bruyne for large chunks of last season - people forget easily. Remember the debate about goals/assists and points on average? Then he hits a rough patch, which was obviously down to sickness, illness and what not, perhaps mixed with a little of sloppy Mourinho-interviews to create tension. When Pogba was substituted that one game and the camera zoomed in on him, it wasn't anger or temperament, it was someone who looked struck by influenza or something like that. Pogba is judged differently to every other player and we will definitely regret everything if he leaves. Pogba was easily one of our best players at the start of the season, which was ruined because of injuries at bad times, but he still racked up something like 18-20 goal points.

Just to compare players in different situations. Pogba's team finished 2nd and he was the most productive non-attacker with 6 goals and 13 assists done in 2145 minutes. Eriksen's team finished 3rd, flirted with 5th for large parts of the season and he got 21 goal points in 3218 minutes. That's one point pr. 113 minutes for Pogba compared to 153 minutes for Eriksen. Eriksen takes all set-pieces and enjoyed a season without any major injuries, basically playing every game. I am not saying we can just add to Pogba's tally like it's a given, but his average this year dictates around 30 goal points over 38 games. Something like 10 goals and 20 assists if he had played all the games he was out for. I am not saying Pogba was great in every match, I do also see the inability to play smarter in certain games under heavy pressure, but the rhetoric on here is largely uncalled for - every player struggles over a season. Some say Eriksen is world-class coming off a great season, some say Pogba has been awful and they wouldn't mind him being sold for Savic, whom offers no guarantee whatsoever. Still Pogba's team finished higher than Eriksen's and his stats are much better - makes total sense right? Life is not easy for a Manchester United-player under huge scrutiny, luckily I think Pogba is more than capable of handling it next season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@ForeverARed @Globule

Matic was over £30m and almost guaranteed to start.

Then you have Pogba and Savic over £80m each and Fred around £50m.

I agree we need a stronger squad and more options. But I don’t think we should be signing savic and Fred for a fortune and benching one of them.

Maybe Golovin instead of Savic.
I’d be happy with that, great little player

In Rainbows

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he more on the attacking end of things? We already have Pogba in that role so no need for another player like that. What we need is either a beast of a destroyer, or someone who can control the game through solely his passing.

lysglimt

Scout
Is he really worth that much ? He plays for Lazio for feck sake. The team which bottled their CL campaign at home.

What special attributes does he have ? If we are gonna throw $80 or $100 millions, we should throw it to ready-made player, not that one with potential. Haven't we learnt ?

He is aint Modric, even not better than Nainggolan, why should us spurn hefty money for him ? With the budget you can get Mahrez and Ndidi, they may not fancy but they will complete our lack of midfield. One AM and one DM. EPL proven.
Where he plays is hardly relevant. As for not better than Nainggolan and Modric - maybe but he is 23, they are 7-9 years older. And if he continues to develop like he has over the last 12-18 months, he will be better than Nainggolan at least.

Biji.Kelot

Where he plays is hardly relevant. As for not better than Nainggolan and Modric - maybe but he is 23, they are 7-9 years older. And if he continues to develop like he has over the last 12-18 months, he will be better than Nainggolan at least.
If is a big word. The ultimate goal of club as big as United is winning a prestigious EPL and CL.
Some of us, may not like an instant process, but history only writes a winner is a fact.
Continuing with typical potential World Class here and there wont take us any further.
Martial, the next World Class Striker. Depay, the next World Class winger ala Robben, Lindeloff, the next World Class ball playing defender. Pogba, the next World Class Midfielder.
Look at them. Are they potentially good ? Yes. But are they now fulfil the potential ? Big no. Are they expensively valued by their potential ? Yes. But are they worth the value ? Big no.
And where they play is relevant. It will be a determining factor whether they can adjust in EPL. Like an example, Darmian at his peak in Torino, considered one of best back in Serie A, but when he came here, he is flop.
Balotelli was a wonderkid of Serie A, but in City, he is just a decent type of striker. I can mention you other names, Jovetic.
I dont argue about targeting potential player like SMS, but to be valued so high, without any actual achievement is crazy and if we actually buy that without any firm strategy of utilising what you called this potential aspects, just like waste of money.

Walters_19_MuFc

As explained above, that's because Chelsea don't play with fullbacks & wingers - they just have a single pair of wingbacks. We man-marked them all over the pitch and their only 'spare' man was Christensen.
It also worked against Spurs, and before you say they dont play with wingers either because they like to drift inside, then who, apart from City, do play with wingers?

Fer

Savic was great last season. But I would prefer to invest those 100m on Bale, Griezmann or Dybala.

Infra-red

It also worked against Spurs, and before you say they dont play with wingers either because they like to drift inside, then who, apart from City, do play with wingers?
The flat 4-4-2 isn't as popular in the Premier League these days, but there are still some decent sides playing with natural width (eg Burnley/Leicester). Obviously City position their wingers high and wide, which makes space for Silva/De Bruyne to operate in. Napoli's system is not dissimilar. Elsewhere in Europe (trying to think who I've seen bits of this season) - Juventus (sometimes), Bayern, Inter, Lyon, Monaco, Marseille, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen. It's not all diamonds, christmas trees and 3-5-2s.

Silas

I don't think Mourinho want two forward lines upfront. What I think he would be interested in is a powerful presence who can play behind the striker, score goals but can still drop deep in midfield and work hard if needed. Basically SMS would be an upgrade of Fellaini.
Although it could theoretically work, I'd consider it too defensive. With three CMs already, we shouldn't have to worry about getting someone else to drop deep and sure it up.

Nickthepip

Our interest would only make sense if Pogba was to leave. That could happen if we thought Madrid would be interested in a swap with Bale.

Otherwise, we’ve too much cash to spend elsewhere in the squad to make this viable.

SSSSnake

Fred comes in for Carrick. Surely we won’t blow a load on this for a bench warmer? I see a big chunk going out for the RW spot now.

Tony247

Savic wasn't great against Chile. Misplaced passes, errors. But he was above average in seria A against napoli, inter. He has good physical presence, good in air but also give away fouls. All in all he looks good for 50m but definitely not 90m.

Mainoldo

Savic wasn't great against Chile. Misplaced passes, errors. But he was above average in seria A against napoli, inter. He has good physical presence, good in air but also give away fouls. All in all he looks good for 50m but definitely not 90m.
He’s not that great that’s why. After this World Cup we will see the price tag does not match the player. Let’s save them fee’s for Bale and Griezmann.

Patrick08

If City land Jorginho and Liverpool land Fekir than it leaves us with no option than to Land Savic this very window no matter the price.

Mourinho's choice of football and his total ignorance for Fekir and Jorginho has put us in this position in my opinion. Personally I am not convinced that Pogba,Fred and Matic and Herrera can absorb the burden next season through out the season.One or two crucial injuries or loss of form or fatigue will send our Season into jeopardy if we don't get another Midfielder of his Quality.

If we wait for another season, who knows the likes of Real Madrid and Psg might be on his trail too making our task even more difficult.

I don't see following a top down approach and getting Bale or Griezmann will land us any major honours until we fix our midfield issues and footballing fundamentals first and I feel a bottom -up approach is more sustainable and better strategy for team building with a manager like Mourinho with his tactics keeping in mind the steep challenges we will face next season and its better to invest maximum kitty in defense and midfield this season and get a player like Willian or Bailey or Aurantovic for the right wing problem.

Reactions: Dargonk

golden_blunder

Staff
If City land Jorginho and Liverpool land Fekir than it leaves us with no option than to Land Savic this very window no matter the price.

Mourinho's choice of football and his total ignorance for Fekir and Jorginho has put us in this position in my opinion. Personally I am not convinced that Pogba,Fred and Matic and Herrera can absorb the burden next season through out the season.One or two crucial injuries or loss of form or fatigue will send our Season into jeopardy if we don't get another Midfielder of his Quality.

If we wait for another season, who knows the likes of Real Madrid and Psg might be on his trail too making our task even more difficult.

I don't see following a top down approach and getting Bale or Griezmann will land us any major honours until we fix our midfield issues and footballing fundamentals first and I feel a bottom -up approach is more sustainable and better strategy for team building with a manager like Mourinho with his tactics keeping in mind the steep challenges we will face next season and its better to invest maximum kitty in defense and midfield this season and get a player like Willian or Bailey or Aurantovic for the right wing problem.
I was hmmming until you said Aurantovic for RW. Next!

Infra-red

Mourinho's choice of football and his total ignorance for Fekir and Jorginho has put us in this position in my opinion.
This reads like a parody.

kirk buttercup

Fred injury today shows that we need depth with this type of Quality, if any one of Pogba Matic or Fred get injured We are down to Herrera or Mctominay both decent players but this is United and we need to be more than just decent .

Bwuk

Fred injury today shows that we need depth with this type of Quality, if any one of Pogba Matic or Fred get injured We are down to Herrera or Mctominay both decent players but this is United and we need to be more than just decent .
I agree. I haven’t seen enough of SMS to debate his quality, but we don’t have enough top level players in our side.

Patrick08

I was hmmming until you said Aurantovic for RW. Next!
I'd love to take other names than him, but we can only sign those which suits Mourinho's football the most and he does suit him too who can play 3 positions including being a target man back up to Lukaku.Not the most ideal signing we'd like to see but if Chelsea refuse to sell Willian to us after their Matic sale which caused a uproar with Chelsea fans, he could be a quick fix suiting Mourinho's requirements. We neglected Sadio mane back then for Mkh we will have to pay the price for our Reactive transfer policy when we have ignored that position for years.

Fergie replaced Ronaldo with Valencia and Made it work, so Mourinho could follow suit with under par Names, though not at the price West ham are quoting.

golden_blunder

Staff
I'd love to take other names than him, but we can only sign those which suits Mourinho's football the most and he does suit him too who can play 3 positions including being a target man back up to Lukaku.Not the most ideal signing we'd like to see but if Chelsea refuse to sell Willian to us after their Matic sale which caused a uproar with Chelsea fans, he could be a quick fix suiting Mourinho's requirements. We neglected Sadio mane back then for Mkh we will have to pay the price for our Reactive transfer policy when we have ignored that position for years.

Fergie replaced Ronaldo with Valencia and Made it work, so Mourinho could follow suit with under par Names, though not at the price West ham are quoting.
the player is shit on the wing and average as a striker. He did ok for Moyes but I wouldn’t be paying 50m quid to see if he could repeat his one non-shit season

sherrinford

Our transfers should not be influenced at all by other clubs.

Pogba, Matic, Fred and Herrera is a strong group of midfielders, and there are more pressing concerns in our team. If depth is an issue then there is a returning Pereira and there was/ is the opportunity to pad the squad with options such as Wilshere, Can or Meyer on free transfers. To bring in Milinkovic-Savic for a huge sum of money to safeguard against fatigue/ injury/ poor form is daft, unless you somehow believe that sort of outlay won’t affect the money available for other positions. Our options at left back and right wing pale in comparison to the quality we’ve got in the middle of the park so adding another centre mid can’t possibly improve the team to the extent that a starting-quality purchase in either of those two problem positions would.

Pav1878

Our transfers should not be influenced at all by other clubs.

Pogba, Matic, Fred and Herrera is a strong group of midfielders, and there are more pressing concerns in our team. If depth is an issue then there is a returning Pereira and there was/ is the opportunity to pad the squad with options such as Wilshere, Can or Meyer on free transfers. To bring in Milinkovic-Savic for a huge sum of money to safeguard against fatigue/ injury/ poor form is daft, unless you somehow believe that sort of outlay won’t affect the money available for other positions. Our options at left back and right wing pale in comparison to the quality we’ve got in the middle of the park so adding another centre mid can’t possibly improve the team to the extent that a starting-quality purchase in either of those two problem positions would.
Can!? Does the name Phil Chisnall mean anything to you?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

So basically you're just crying over Liverpool signing someone and the only way to dry those tears is if Man Utd sign someone as well?

sherrinford

Can!? Does the name Phil Chisnall mean anything to you?
Would you care to comment on the actual point or opinion in the post rather than picking out the mentioning of a Liverpool player who was name dropped merely as an example of the kind of quality that was available for free this summer?

tonnas

Mourinho's choice of football and his total ignorance for Fekir and Jorginho has put us in this position in my opinion.
Most probably you have never seen them play more then 5 games each! Overrating players as usal by some of our fans.

Thoth

Give Munich £70-80m for Thiago and Vidal, both available.

Get Bonucci, £25m or Chiellini on a free transfer

Rondon, £16m. Would be a good back up target man. PL experienced. 1 in 4 for West Brom. Heart like a lion. Better player than RL.

1 of Bale £90-100m, Malcom £40m, Rodrygo £44m

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
100M is insane.

At least Pogba showed potentially world class ability consistently for 4 seasons and great Champions League performances. Good luck to whoever gets him.

IrishRedDevil

Give Munich £70-80m for Thiago and Vidal, both available.

Get Bonucci, £25m or Chiellini on a free transfer

Rondon, £16m. Would be a good back up target man. PL experienced. 1 in 4 for West Brom. Heart like a lion. Better player than RL.

1 of Bale £90-100m, Malcom £40m, Rodrygo £44m
Rondon is a better player than Lukaku? :houllier: Tell me everything he is better at please?

I don’t even know why I’m entertaining you with a reply.