Sergej Milinkovic Savic

J_Red 11

Thought he was nothing like Hamsik but I only saw highlights so will say no more.
I am more surprised how people think he's similar to Pogba though. Pogba is more complete can control midfield and knows how to pass as a deeper midfielder and central midfielder.

MasterOfMuppets

I mean, I think we could do with more of these attributes, but to use Pogba as an example of someone lacking quick feet and mobility couldn't be more wrong. In fact, I struggle to think of a quicker-footed or more mobile central midfielder. Do you think this just because he is also tall and strong?
We may have different understanding of what "mobility" and "quick feet" means. David Silva got quick feet, but he is not a speed merchant. It is not easy to get past Silva because of this. Herrera is imo the most mobile cm we got, but he is not of the required quality unfortunately. Pogba got great top speed, in fact his top speed is the same as Sanchez, but he lacks acceleration, therefore I would not categorysize him as having quick feet. Savic is similar in that sense. I do think our midfield is stronger with Savic instead of Herrera in a 4-3-3, but we are in more need of a player like Seri, Keita or Vidal etc. Although these are not similar players they have the required mobility needed to complement our midfield.

beingshe7don

I have a feeling that Madrid won't be able to buy their usual targets and will end up getting him to revamp their midfield. He's one hot prospect and they would probably get rid of one of their midfielders (Modric, Kovacic, Casemiro or Kroos). Even though I'm a huge fan, I don't think Jose will spend money on him. We will most likely try and get a replacement for Carrick and a possible RW. Sanchez won't be played on the RW. He'll probably be played on the LW or behind Lukaku with Lingard or Mata out wide on the right which are very light weight options.

It's gonna be one scary summer. With the shop window reduced, world cup year and player prices to increase, it could be one difficult summer to negotiate since there's not much time to haggle on prices.

It would be wise to get majority of our main business done now. Sanchez was a great coup but we need to try and persuade someone like Dybala or Bale right now.

Nick.

We have been linked recently to Seri, Weigl and Jorginho. All are playmakers, and all are vastly different players to Milinkovic-Savic.

I think Mourinho has looked at Milinkovic-Savic and has decided that although he is a very good player, he is not the profile of central midfielder Mourinho is looking for.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We have been linked recently to Seri, Weigl and Jorginho. All are playmakers, and all are vastly different players to Milinkovic-Savic.

I think Mourinho has looked at Milinkovic-Savic and has decided that although he is a very good player, he is not the profile of central midfielder Mourinho is looking for.
I'm sure he has said we may need 2 CMs in the summer. He said we need to replace Carrick and we also need another CM anyway. Seems to me the playmakers replace Carrick.

Thats not to say we sign SMS, btw, but it makes sense we would have 2 profiles of CMs

MasterOfMuppets

I'm sure he has said we may need 2 CMs in the summer. He said we need to replace Carrick and we also need another CM anyway. Seems to me the playmakers replace Carrick.

Thats not to say we sign SMS, btw, but it makes sense we would have 2 profiles of CMs
Pereira is the second CM.

We need an rvn

He hasn't even played centre mid for Valencia what makes you think he will play there for us. I think he will go on loan again next season this time in the premier league.
Please tell me the last time a United player has gone out on loan for 3 years in a row and made it here. He needs to come back to United next season or he's gone

L1nk

If indeed we are not in for Savic my only guess is, he'd obviously cost a lot of money and Mourinho has decided he is too similar to Pogba to warrant a purchase when we need other types of midfielders to go alongside Pogba himself instead.

engulfing

Please tell me the last time a United player has gone out on loan for 3 years in a row and made it here. He needs to come back to United next season or he's gone
If he's gone so be it, put a buy back clause on him and let him continue developing. He isn't ready to play centre mid for us and i don't think we have squad space for him at the moment. If he makes the jump we can always bring him back just like barca do.

We need an rvn

If he's gone so be it, put a buy back clause on him and let him continue developing. He isn't ready to play centre mid for us and i don't think we have squad space for him at the moment. If he makes the jump we can always bring him back just like barca do.
true, but also put into context the "kid" has a contract until 2019, option to 2020 (so basically 2 more years). If we loan him out next season and he hasn't been at the club for 3 years in a row we're pretty lost with regards to Andreas mate

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Not sure that transfer rumours are 100% indicative of what Jose is thinking. He also likes physical monsters, Savic ticks that box. Can you imagine a midfield of Matic, Pogba and Savic. All good on the ball, two of them very young. :drool:

J_Red 11

Not sure that transfer rumours are 100% indicative of what Jose is thinking. He also likes physical monsters, Savic ticks that box. Can you imagine a midfield of Matic, Pogba and Savic. All good on the ball, two of them very young. :drool:
Pure power midfield.

izec

Just another midfielder who is better offensively than defensively. He is better than Pogba defensively, but not a natural in that regard. His instincts are going forward and i wouldnt bet on him making us much better in the current setup, not for the money anyway

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Just another midfielder who is better offensively than defensively. He is better than Pogba defensively, but not a natural in that regard. His instincts are going forward and i wouldnt bet on him making us much better in the current setup, not for the money anyway
We got Matic to play that role. We need someone like him so Pogba can be freed up to go forward and do damage and not worry too much on the defensive side of things.

Devil may care

Matic needs help as much as Pogba does, the CM we need has to be able to help with both sides of the game, slotting between the 2 of them in midfield, Savic is just as bad if not worse than Pogba defensively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Matic needs help as much as Pogba does, the CM we need has to be able to help with both sides of the game, slotting between the 2 of them in midfield, Savic is just as bad if not worse than Pogba defensively.
Putting Pogba in a midfield two with Matic is suicide in the big games due to Matic not having the legs to cover Pogba. Someone like Matuidi would be much more effective.

E-mal

You guys better forget about this guy, we had better go and get someone with good positioning and has the ability to to play under pressure in midfield.

Devil may care

Putting Pogba in a midfield two with Matic is suicide in the big games due to Matic not having the legs to cover Pogba. Someone like Matuidi would be much more effective.
We definitely need more ground coverage in the midfield, but I think we need someone with more on the ball than Matuidi, someone in the mold of Modric or Thiago.

suhaylah

We need a midfield destroyer like Kante and a box to box midfielder imo.

gajender

We need a midfield destroyer like Kante and a box to box midfielder imo.
Kante is box to box midfielder and midfield 3 of Matic, Pogba and Kante would again be devoid of controlling Midfielder and be too reliant on Pogba for any creativity rather add Jorginho with another youngish well rounded midfielder for better balance and control.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Kante is box to box midfielder and midfield 3 of Matic, Pogba and Kante would again be devoid of controlling Midfielder and be too reliant on Pogba for any creativity rather add Jorginho with another youngish well rounded midfielder for better balance and control.
What United are essentially looking for is someone who covers a lot of ground but is also good on the ball.

I think of players like Kovacic or Thiago.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We definitely need more ground coverage in the midfield, but I think we need someone with more on the ball than Matuidi, someone in the mold of Modric or Thiago.
What United are essentially looking for is someone who covers a lot of ground but is also good on the ball.

Yep definitely this. Need someone who can control games for us, pick the ball up off the defence, spray passes around, feed the attackers like pogba in more advanced positions, while pogba plays as the 3rd midfielder with freedom rather then being asked to dominate the midfield, since he can't do that.

gajender

Thiago is unattainable may be Kovacic could be prised out of Madrid but hasn't his progress stalled due lack of playing time otherwise we could take a chance on likes Barella or Pellegrini from Italy and hope they work out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not necessarily saying it should be Matuidi but if we can't get the players you mention then a mobile midfielder with good ground coverage should be considered as a squad option. Matuidi might be limited as a footballer but he would do a better job than Matic in a midfield two at least against the big teams.

J_Red 11

I'm not necessarily saying it should be Matuidi but if we can't get the players you mention then a mobile midfielder with good ground coverage should be considered as a squad option. Matuidi might be limited as a footballer but he would do a better job than Matic in a midfield two at least against the big teams.
It will be very frustrated because we will never be able to build up play from the back with Matic, Matuidi, and our current centre back in XI.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It will be very frustrated because we will never be able to build up play from the back with Matic, Matuidi, and our current centre back in XI.
Spurs had Dier in midfield against us who most would consider limited as a midfielder but he got the job done.

All our midfielders are slow with the exception of Pogba. And it's been like that for many years. Having a squad option that gives us legs in midfield like Matuidi would be good especially in the big games.

J_Red 11

Spurs had Dier in midfield against us who most would consider limited as a midfielder but he got the job done.

All our midfielders are slow with the exception of Pogba. And it's been like that for many years. Having a squad option that gives us legs in midfield like Matuidi would be good especially in the big games.
But they got Vertonghen as a ball playing centre back. We can't build up our play from the back since we can't pass the ball forward if we have Matic, Matuidi and our current centre back, they are too clueless with their passings. All we can rely on to build up our play from the back is de Gea.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Out next midfielder needs to be able to offer a passing route for all four of our defenders. That's it. Someone who can receive the ball quickly from Smalling and move the ball on, pass, offer, receive etc etc.

Issue currently is we have is Matic who isn't suited to that and Pogba going deep to get the ball doesn't get the best from him.

Probably the ideal player is Fernandhino mk2 :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But they got Vertonghen as a ball playing centre back. We can't build up our play from the back since we can't pass the ball forward if we have Matic, Matuidi and our current centre back, they are too clueless with their passings. All we can rely on to build up our play from the back is de Gea.
We have Bailly and Lindelof that are good on the ball. Tuanzebe is better than Smalling and Jones on the ball too..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Out next midfielder needs to be able to offer a passing route for all four of our defenders. That's it. Someone who can receive the ball quickly from Smalling and move the ball on, pass, offer, receive etc etc.

Issue currently is we have is Matic who isn't suited to that and Pogba going deep to get the ball doesn't get the best from him.

Probably the ideal player is Fernandhino mk2 :lol:
Fernandinho mk2 would be lovely

J_Red 11

We have Bailly and Lindelof that are good on the ball.
Good on the ball means nothing if they can't bring the ball forward with their passings, some footballer can control the ball very well but can't pass the ball. Example ball playing centre back, Rio Ferdinand, Ramos, Luiz, Vertonghen. Example deeper playmaker: Carrick, Alonso, Kroos, Pirlo.