Sergio Reguilon | Man Utd Loan with January break clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traub

Which aren't much. It will cost much less than the Weghorst and Sabitzer loans.
Yeah plus we can send him back in 4 months if he stinks the place up. Makes me wonder why Levy would agree to this.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
A back up left back for 4 months isn't worth all the fuss. I still expect Dalot to start there, and Regullion will have a few appearances here or there.

If getting him instead of Cucurella allows us to get Amrabat in, then im all for it.

We just need Shaw and Malacia back.

Borussia Teeth

He looked impressive for Seville the few times I watched them and he started very well for Spurs. This is not as bad of a deal as some are making out in my opinion.

didz

Failed everywhere he's been by the way.
La Liga TOTY left back and Europa League winner at the time of his move to Spurs. Dunno what the hell happened to when he got to England, but it's plainly false to say he's failed everywhere.

The real concern for me is that the player we're signing to replace our two injured left backs missed most of last season due to injury. The club needs to rehabilitate him both physically and mentally, and he's behind most players in the league in terms of preparation.

Lebowski

Not exactly. It frees up space for a signing in January in other position. We were ready to pay 2-3m and still have that clause.

Having a player on higher wages who you dont need is not good. This is exact problem we are trying to fix. If we have tried to address it with our future signings, people should appreciate it. Think it was smart to move away from an expensive loan which dont suit our requirements
What you're describing are still money issues though.

It doesn't free up space for a signing a January unless the limiting factor for a signing in January is FFP / cash, which obviously both fall into the 'money issues' category. It isn't as if there's a rule limiting your January transfer business if you have a loan that you can't terminate.

Same with your wages point: the only issue with having a loan player on high wages who you might not need later is financial. It's not like giving a permanent player ridiculously high wages where you risk upsetting the rest of your squad, breaking the club's wage structure etc. It's Chelsea who have a contract with him on far too high wages, we're just agreeing to cover them for the duration of the loan, which is only a problem because it might mean we have to 'waste' money on wages after Luke Shaw and Malacia are back.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here and it's obviously fine to prefer that we do a cheaper loan for Reguilon rather than a more expensive loan for Cucurella, I just think we should be honest that the reason that we chose Reguilon is overwhelmingly financial. Also I don't think we should pretend that the club's decision here is an example of savvy operations and reversing the behaviour that has caused problems for us during the Woodward era, as if our issues were caused by us signing too many players on expensive loan deals without break clauses.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

I feel like Kostic would have been a much better option:
Will see how he compares when he goes West Ham.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah plus we can send him back in 4 months if he stinks the place up. Makes me wonder why Levy would agree to this.
They had no need for him and he wouldn’t get any minute for them. Essentially it is 2m-4.5m pounds for them, depending if we send him back in Jan or next July.

Traub

They had no need for him and he wouldn’t get any minute for them. Essentially it is 2m-4.5m pounds for them, depending if we send him back in Jan or next July.
Good point. Also I just checked and he transferred for 32m to Spurs, which means he amortises at c6m per year (had a 5 year contract). Letting him go permanently for peanuts doesn't even make better financial sense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He looked impressive for Seville the few times I watched them and he started very well for Spurs. This is not as bad of a deal as some are making out in my opinion.
He is difficult to judge, he looked promising for Real Madrid, he held the width and overlapped very well, he confirmed it with Sevilla but somehow regressed with Tottenham.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is difficult to judge, he looked promising for Real Madrid, he held the width and overlapped very well, he confirmed it with Sevilla but somehow regressed with Tottenham.
Indeed. He certainly looked the business when he first went to Tottenham, I think when Jose was there. So I am looking forward to seeing him overlapping down the left, maybe more effectively than Shaw. But of course he may not be as versatile as Shaw. Good loan signing in my view.

Ekeke

I rate him. At least in attack. Think theres a good chance that when he does get pitch time he'll make some good overlapping runs and look a danger finding teammates in the box

flappyjay

Redcafe is full on crazy today, which I suppose is good for Sergio and Amrabat as they have low expectations on this forum and probably the wider fan base. How are you mad at a glorified 3 month loan. He will get substantial minutes if he Dalot or AWB gets injured or if he proves that he is better than Dalot at lb which can only be a good thing. Dalot was starting lb when Shaw was playing CB whilst Malacia sat on the bench. Yet this forum wouldn't be losing it's mind if we were going into the season with Malacia as starting lb until Shaw got back.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
On Reguilon he [EtH] added: "Reguilon is here, he trained. Yes [he will be available for Sunday].

"He’s very experienced, played for big clubs, played a lot of games in La Liga and Premier League. He has a very good background. We’ve seen he can play intense football and we are happy. We had a problem with Shaw and Malacia and I think we responded very well to that emergency situation."

evil_geko

So he’s a left wing back…. The same position Regullon plays in. Left wing back.
I am pretty sure Reguilon played left back before coming to Spurs, not similar at all. He was playing Wing back at Spurs because of manager system.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I am pretty sure Reguilon played left back before coming to Spurs, not similar at all. He was playing Wing back at Spurs because of manager system.
Even then he still played the majority of his games for Spurs at LB under Jose, he didn't play too much under Conte(mainly due to injuries but then just fell out of favour).

Ronaldinho's snakebite

La Liga TOTY left back and Europa League winner at the time of his move to Spurs. Dunno what the hell happened to when he got to England, but it's plainly false to say he's failed everywhere.

The real concern for me is that the player we're signing to replace our two injured left backs missed most of last season due to injury. The club needs to rehabilitate him both physically and mentally, and he's behind most players in the league in terms of preparation.
It's funny how some folks on caf defend every player they have previously shat on while playing for opposing teams. The moment they are linked to us, they defend the said player with their lives:lol: and begin to post some stupid stats:lol::lol::D

siw2007

If I remember correctly, we were very interested in signing this lad back in 2020 but were put off Madrids buyback clause, then Mourinho and Spurs jumped in and nabbed him. I think he had a really good start to his career there before he lost his way.

Would rather we didn’t have to make emergency signings like this but in these circumstances, he’s not a bad short term option.

Status
Not open for further replies.