Serie A 90's Draft QF - Moby/Pat_Mustard vs Gio/Theon

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

RUI COSTA: THE SLICK PRINCE WHO BECAME A KING IN ITALY

In Italy, Fiorentina were building a formidable side. A sleeping giant was about to wake up in the birthplace of Leonardo da Vinci, with the club’s recent signings, Brian Laudup, Francesco Baiano and Gabriel Batistuta, helping them gain promotion to Serie A. Rui Costa signed in 1994 to aid them on their return to the top-flight. They were all set up for their own Renaissance with Claudio Ranieri at the helm.

In a league full of world-class number 10s, Costa quickly emerged as the preeminent alongside Zinedine Zidane, after taking over the shirt from Roberto Baggio, no small task in itself. With beguiling grace and mesmerising artistry, he was the fully packaged playmaker, capable of making a palace out of paper and tape. In a team that was lacking in defence and didn’t fare much better in the middle, Batistuta and Costa were an attacking phenomenon, zigging in a league that chose to zag.

Their telepathic bond quickly consolidated them as the Serie A’s most formidable and iconic duo, the complete number 9 and 10. Their partnership was not unlike Manchester United’s Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. They were brothers-in-arms, with the instinct of a killer and the mesmerising quality of two virtuoso talents running wild. Italian football is traditionally conservative and defence-minded, but the Florentine side built their mid-1990s success on the strength of their attack.

Together, the duo not only won two Coppa Italias and one Supercoppa Italiana, but they looked great doing it. Costa will be remembered as much for what he achieved as for how he achieved it. The way he played looked effortless, and in a way it became so over time, but it was his work-rate and football academy upbringing that nurtured his talent. The way he looked on the park might have seemed effortless too, but that wasn’t the case.

The Italian’s call it sprezzatura, making something look like no thought or effort went into it, when in fact, it had. Before a game, everything had to sit right – the oil in the hair, the tape under the knee, the rolled down socks and the half tucked-in shirt. He was the embodiment of Italian football style, giving him the reckless air of a true maverick roaming the field. His style would influence a whole generation of young boys that watched Football Italia religiously every weekend, glued to their screens and trying to emulate him at their local park.

His style served a purpose; when everything sat right, what happened on the pitch became instinctual. His pre-match rituals freed his mind, allowing him to operate on what often seemed like a subconscious level on the park. This nonchalance combined with his passion made him an enigmatic player with a devoted cult following at Fiorentina. From the city once run by the Medici family and strategized in Niccolò Machiavelli’s The Prince, it was fitting that the man who was the apotheosis of footballing grace and tactical craft would come to be known as The Prince of Florence, and when Batistuta left for Rome in 2000, he was the heir to the captain’s throne.

Whenever Rui Costa had the ball, there was a feeling that anything could happen, such was the unpredictable nature of his game. His trenchant passes came a second before it was anticipated, wrong-footing many defenders and goalkeepers with its’ off-beat syncopated timing. This was best exemplified when Portugal took on England at Euro 2000. Down 2-0 early on in the match, Costa came alive with his wizardry of spherical physics assisting three goals to provide the win. The third through ball that set up Nuno Gomes was of vision and precision rarely witnessed since the construction of the Egyptian pyramids.

In 2001, then-manager of Fiorentina Fatih Terim, or Imperatore, took over at AC Milan, bringing Costa with him for just under €44 million, an offer Fiorentina couldn’t refuse given their own financial difficulties. Costa would swap Batistuta for Filippo Inzaghi and Inzaghi would swap Zinedine Zidane for Costa, who made a comment on signing for his new club that Costa was the superior player to Zidane, an eternal debate in Italian football, similar to Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi now. Costa and Zidane played similar roles, and there is no questioning Zidane’s genius throughout his career, but in their heyday in the Serie A, it was Costa that seemed to excite and appeal on a more visceral level. Where Zidane played from his head, Costa played from his heart and that resonated deeply with Italian fans.

Italian football lives and dies by their defence, a philosophy developed since time immemorial by managers like Helenio Herrera and lauded by classic calcio writers like Gazzetto dello Sport’s Gianni Brera. Milan were solid at the back with Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta, but it was Costa’s job to add some attacking flair to the famous defender’s grit. The north of Italy already had Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and now it had Rui Costa. He was the gleaming paint job, the roar of the engine and the effortless blur in the eyes of defenders.

In Milan he picked up another nickname, Il Maestro, alluding to the leader of a classical music ensemble or opera. The thing is, he wasn’t so much the classical conductor as he was the spontaneous jazz musician. He roved free without restraints, abiding to no particular time signature nor scale, inhabiting a number 10 role that has seen a steady decline in the last decade, making way for a more central attacking role for the number.

Rui Costa’s time at the Rossoneri never quite reached the hoped-for peaks that were expected from a superstar entering a supercharged squad, but by no means was it a failed venture. During his time there he managed to add more silverware to his personal collection, including a Champion’s League trophy in 2003.

Rui Costa came up against Zidane, as part of Real Madrid’s Galácticos, in the group stage of the tournament. Milan won the group, thanks in part to a 1-0 home win that featured Rui Costa’s fan-favourite pass. Before the stroke of half-time and behind his own centre circle, his picked out a solo Andriy Shevchenko with a heat seeking pass along the ground, splitting the four defenders in their own half that could never have anticipated the move. [Think Sosa and Weah bursting on to that] His seeming prescience of the movements of his own and opposing team-mates marked him as one of a kind – at the time he was the best passer of a football in the world.

Read more at:
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/02/20/rui-costa-the-slick-prince-who-became-a-king-in-italy/

Have a gander at this:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Serviced of course by our good man Rui Costa and Laudrup too for that matter.
No denying the quality of Rui Costa, but Laudrup only shared one season with Batistuta, with Fiorentina getting relegated, and Laudrup's inconsistency already noted in this thread. He then moved to Milan, racking up a grand total of 9 appearances, before getting shipped off to Scotland. A fine footballer without a doubt, and he had his moments in Italy without question, but he has by far the weakest credentials of the attackers on the pitch here.

While we're on the subject of service, our own No. 10 hasn't got much of a mention here. Mancini was one of the stars of the league across the decade, and possesses easily one of the most influential single seasons of any player in the draft, leading Sampdoria to the only Serie A title in their history in 1990-91, and winning the Guerin d'Oro himself.

With Mancini pulling the strings and providing the service, Gianluca Vialli hit a career-high tally of 19 leage goals that season. Our striker Enrico Chiesa would hit his career-best form playing alongside Mancini too, hitting a stunning 22 goals in 27 games in 1995-96.

Here's an all-touches compilation we made for Mancini vs Baresi's Milan when both players were near their peak in 1993. Sampdoria won 3-2, with the interesting part for us tactically being that they started with Gullit and Mancini up front and were 2-0 down when they subbed in a little-known centre forward called Bertarelli after 55 minutes. Mancini moved further back to the trequartista role we're playing him in, they scored a minute or two later and went on to win the match:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What I'm really struggling with here is the notion that both teams will be playing a counter-attacking game.

I can't for the life of me see how PatDick are going to restrain the attacking impetus in that side. Neither the front three nor Verón will sit back, Fusi will be forced to come forth to cover the Little Witch and both fullbacks were converted wingers (Cafú was still very much a WB/RM more than a proper defender).

To their credit, they can play that way too, while I can only see the Old Firm lovers being effective on the break. Problem is, that's exactly the game that suits them best.

antohan

Everyone is using photos now :lol:
Was bound to happen, looks a lot more appealing and is a real draw when you sport greats. I find it exceedingly difficult to overlook Baresi is there when he is staring right back.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What I'm really struggling with here is the notion that both teams will be playing a counter-attacking game.

I can't for the life of me see how PatDick are going to restrain the attacking impetus in that side. Neither the front three nor Verón will sit back, Fusi will be forced to come forth to cover the Little Witch and both fullbacks were converted wingers (Cafú was still very much a WB/RM more than a proper defender).

To their credit, they can play that way too, while I can only see the Old Firm lovers being effective on the break. Problem is, that's exactly the game that suits them best.
This was the whole rationale for choosing Bruno and Laudrup for that specific job. Could easily have played better 90s Serie A players, but tactically this was the most obvious way to set it up. Go balls deep with a counter-attacking approach ensuring everyone on the park could excel in that system. No half and half bollocks, just be true to the gameplan. Build around Baresi at the base, with the Torino duo excelling in the same model, the Juve duo in midfield, Sosa, Weah and Costa together in the attack all in their element with this style of play. It is very clearly coherent from #1 to 11 and designed to suffocate a midfield 5 where only Almeyda has primarily defensive instincts then pick them off on the break. I don't really trust any of the 5 in transitions, bar Almeyda to be frank.

antohan

This was the whole rationale for choosing Bruno and Laudrup for that specific job. Could easily have played better 90s Serie A players, but tactically this was the most obvious way to set it up. Go balls deep with a counter-attacking approach ensuring everyone on the park could excel in that system. No half and half bollocks, just be true to the gameplan. Build around Baresi at the base, with the Torino duo excelling in the same model, the Juve duo in midfield, Sosa, Weah and Costa together in the attack all in their element with this style of play. It is very clearly coherent from #1 to 11 and designed to suffocate a midfield 5 where only Almeyda has primarily defensive instincts then pick them off on the break. I don't really trust any of the 5 in transitions, bar Almeyda to be frank.
Yeah, I can see that. I would have voted for your gameplan execution ages ago if it weren't for Brehme and Laudrup being far from convincing within the theme.

On the other hand, it's not like you picked Pirlo and play him as a DLP. Your team doesn't really revolve around either so I can see how a competent -if not stellar- display would suffice.

antohan

That said, PatDick have assembled a great side, very coherent, loads of proven combos and unproven ones you just know would work superbly.

The only flaw I find is the gameplan assumption that they will keep finding pockets of space and the defenders will all be going walkabout as they get pulled everywhere. That's not what the game would look like at all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Tactically I think Gio/Theon are spot on. Laudrup is an odd one out but since Moby and Pat can't even spell his opponent's name right, I don't think that he's going to be found out. Baresi's presence edges it for me.

Pat_Mustard

Tactically I think Gio/Theon are spot on. Laudrup is an odd one out but since Moby and Pat can't even spell his opponent's name right, I don't think that he's going to be found out. Baresi's presence edges it for me.
Di Chiara? Yeah, I stared at our teamsheet for two minutes trying to work out what you were on about and then after a Ctrl+F job I realised I'd fecked up the spelling in the write up :lol:. Well, by way of compensation to our somewhat unheralded LWB, here's an all-touches video we made of him vs Laudrup and AC Milan.

and there's a few moments showing his class going forward in this video, with a nice pass in the build up to a goal from 1:45, and getting on the scoresheet himself from 2:05:

I have no problem with Gio's tactics per se, but I don't buy that Bruno will have the luxury of permanently tucking in alongside the CBs with Di Chiara foraging down that flank.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Di Chiara? Yeah, I stared at our teamsheet for two minutes trying to work out what you were on about and then realised and then after a Ctrl+F job I realised I'd fecked up the spelling in the write up :lol:. Well, by way of compensation to our somewhat unheralded LWB, here's an all-touches video we made of him vs Laudrup and AC Milan.
yeah :angel:
At wing back, Alberto Di Chiari will run our left flank
Will look at the compilation though, when I'll have enough time to use vpn :(

Enigma_87

You know who
In the end went for Gio/Theon for the same reasons. Baresi edges it when you consider his impact in similar setups. Think Deschamps/Sousa combo has been little underrated given the theme of the draft. Very solid midfield to set the base for Rui Costa to shine.

Having said that Pat/Moby have an awesome attacking trio and good base at it. Great match up this.

Pat_Mustard

In the end went for Gio/Theon for the same reasons. Baresi edges it when you consider his impact in similar setups. Think Deschamps/Sousa combo has been little underrated given the theme of the draft. Very solid midfield to set the base for Rui Costa to shine.

Having said that Pat/Moby have an awesome attacking trio and good base at it. Great match up this.
I can't argue against Baresi being a huge plus point for Gio here - in a brilliant pool of defenders he's still the standout IMO. I would point out that Bruno was mostly memorable for being a lunatic, and that Cravero as another sweeper/defensive organiser doesn't seem an ideal foil for Franco.

Deschamps/Sousa is a great midfield but I don't think Almeyda/Veron suffer in comparison. Both proven, Serie A-winning partnerships, with Deschamps bettering Almeyda and Veron topping Sousa in terms of overall quality. Strangely, it's Almeyda and Sousa that happened to win the Guerin d'Oros, which only goes to show that neither are remotely out of their depth here I guess.

antohan

My instincts tell me Gio could nick this, but that I would feel the same in any game when Baresi marshalls the defence of a CA side.

My heart screams Sosa (diametrically opposed to @oneniltothearsenal :lol:) and that Rui Costa would be the best player on the pitch... along with Baresi. But then it goes Brehme? Laudrup? WTF?

My head tells me both teams can and probably will score... but if PatDick score first it's pretty much game over. It's always the danger with "if you don't concede you can't lose", I'm not sure that side can turn around a game once it goes behind. It's just too 100% set up (and very well set up) for a singular Plan A.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well done @Pat_Mustard and @Moby. Well drafted side with strong Serie A CVs across the board.

I can't argue against Baresi being a huge plus point for Gio here - in a brilliant pool of defenders he's still the standout IMO. I would point out that Bruno was mostly memorable for being a lunatic, and that Cravero as another sweeper/defensive organiser doesn't seem an ideal foil for Franco.
Just on the Cravero/Baresi point. We thought long and hard about their compatability particularly given he's often described as a libero. But when we viewed a lot of the Torino footage, he's very much an all-rounder. Strong in the air, excellent at covering across the defensive line, reading the game is top notch. His use of the ball is very precise as well which probably gives him that libero reputation when you contrast him to the more agricultural types from the era like Bruno, Vierchowod or Gentile. Basically I didn't think there would be anything missing from a Cravero/Baresi partnership and we would have been quite happy to ride those two to the final had we got there.

And on Bruno, yes he was a nutter. I love this piece on his time at Hearts:

Vital Hearts said:
In football (and indeed in sport generally these days) it seems that we are forever lamenting the lack of characters present in the modern game, with various factors such as intense media scrutiny tending to make individuals much more insular than they perhaps were in yesteryear.

Quite where 'yesteryear' meets the 'modern game' is always open to debate of course, but regardless of that there can be no doubt that when we're talking characters, and in particular those with a connection to Heart Of Midlothian Football Club, there were few bigger than Pasquale Bruno.

The Italian defender, who was already something of a legend in his homeland (probably for all the wrong seasons!), was a truly inspired Jim Jefferies signing for Hearts back in November 1995. As mentioned in the article about Gilles Rousset last week (who signed for the club a month before Bruno), Hearts had been through some difficult times and Jefferies was desperate to stabilise things and build a new team that was capable of challenging back up at the right end of the SPL table again. The signings of Rousset and Bruno provided the catalyst for the subsequent few years of talented Hearts sides to make their mark in Scotland, and although the Frenchman went onto achieve legendary status for his part on the Scottish Cup triumph of 1998, there will be few who will forget the sight of Bruno donning the famous maroon and white jersey.

Nicknamed 'The Animal' in his native Italy, Bruno was approaching the age of 33 by the time he came to Tynecastle, which was a move that no-one in Scottish football had predicted. Despite his advancing years he was seen as a relatively 'big name' signing, and one who could provide the necessary boost that the playing squad badly required. He had a wealth of experience from his time in Italian football, where despite his nickname he'd earned distinction as an extremely uncompromising defender, with Torino and most notably Juventus being among his former clubs.

Most people had heard of Bruno, and most would also have seen the infamous footage of him completely losing the plot after a red card whilst with Torino, where he started fighting the referee and subsequently all of his team-mates as they tried to intervene! It was probably this that had earned him 'The Animal' nickname, because despite appearing to know every little dirty trick in the book, it was relatively uncommon for Italian defenders of his generation not to as a rule - their cynicism around the world was well-known (Claude Gentile anyone?!), so to have such infamy attached to his reputation must have taken some doing. I therefore liked the guy before I'd even seen him kicking a ball for us!

I'll never forget seeing Bruno's debut for Hearts. It was on a bitterly cold November afternoon at Tynecastle where the opposition were Partick Thistle. Hardly the most glamourous of introductions to the Scottish game I'm sure you'll agree, but Bruno's influence on the side was clear for all to see. He played in the middle of a three man defence, and compared to everyone else on the park the guy just oozed class - his reading of the game was immaculate and he just had the air of a player with so much confidence in his own ability that everything looked so easy for him. Of course, it WAS only Partick Thistle, and a poor Partick side at that (Hearts convincingly won 3-0), so we didn't immediately see him as the greatest player we'd ever had, but given the mediocrity of the previous few years there was genuine belief that having a talismanic character like Bruno in the side could help to inspire Hearts to better things. This faith was fell founded.

During his first couple of months as a Hearts player, Bruno demonstrated little in the way of excessive aggression or anything that would lead you to believe that his reputation was justified, but at the same time he had a real aura about him that clearly made opponents keep their distance. You just knew that underneath the grinning, charming exterior he was displaying to everyone that the animal inside was waiting to escape, and it most certainly did at times through the 14 months or so that he was a Hearts player.

Bruno actually crammed quite a lot into his reasonably short stint at Tynecastle, so I thought I'd list some of the more memorable moments below, in no particular order:

1 On his debut against Thistle, Bruno goes to escort the ball over the byeline as two opponents converge of him from either side. Thinking that he was simply going to leave the ball alone till it ran out of play, the two Thistle men desperately ran towards the byeline to block his route, only for Bruno to take the ball at the last minute. As he did so both Thistle players ran straight into each other, both requiring attention from the physio! Cue several 'Bruno, Bruno' chants from the stands.......not the last time this was to be heard over the next 14 months.

2 Scoring his first and only goal for the club at Celtic Park. With Hearts a goal down early in the second half, Bruno came up for a corner and steered it on the volley into the corner of the net. Cue wild celebrations from the player, who left the field of play by battering through a couple of stewards to join the Hearts fans crammed into the partially completed stand behind the goal. At last someone putting these cretins in their place!

3 Being the first of four Hearts players to be red-carded on an infamous afternoon at Ibrox. We all know what tends to happen at Ibrox from time to time as far as referees are concerned, but admittedly Bruno was eventually given his second yellow for probably his umpteenth foul on Brian Laudrup. Before leaving the field of play, Bruno then proceeded to burst out laughing and shake the hands of almost every member of the Rangers team - he offered his hand to referee Gerry Evans who flatly refused.......I wonder why?!

4 Absolutely nailing Keith Wright at Easter Road right in front of the Hibs bench. Wright had been niggling the whole afternoon and Bruno chose him moment wisely when both the referee and linesmen were unsighted. Wright got a good old-fashioned kick in the kidneys for his troubles, provoking a furious reaction from those in the Hibs dug-out.. For the rest of the match Bruno could then be seen making 'cut-throat' signs to the Hibs bench - clearly someone had annoyed him........!

5 A major tussle with Raith Rovers' Ally Graham at Starks Park one afternoon. I didn't get a good view but apparently off the ball and again with none of the officials looking, Bruno had clocked the big striker and completely laid him out. Urban myth has it that Bruno overheard Graham moaning about him in the tunnel afterwards and saying he wanted to fight him...........Bruno was rumoured to have gone over to him grinning from ear to ear, stating that 'with me.....there is no fight - I just call my friends, and they go...(making a gun trigger gesture)....'BOOM'!' I don't believe that the fight ever took place......

6 Giving a masterclass in man-marking during the home leg of Hearts' Cup Winners' Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade. Bruno looked a million dollars in the gloriously deep maroon strip that Hearts played in that night (as also sported in the Coca Cola Cup Final that year), and he rarely allowed Red Star's main man Stankovic (I think) a look in. The only time that the wirey young midfielder got away from Bruno saw the Italian committing an absolutely hilarious professional foul right on the touchline. His acknowledgement was equally hilarious - not even waiting for the referee's decision, Bruno simply turned his shirt around to show him his number, effectively awarding himself the booking. Genius.

7 Playing in an unfamiliar central midfield role, Bruno strolled through the famous 3-0 win at Ibrox in 1996 when Allan Johnston scored a hat-trick. At one stage with the score at 3-0, he got the ball in the centre circle when the Hearts fans started chanting his name - instead of carrying on playing, he put his foot on the ball and waved to the fans from the centre circle, before spraying a pass nonchalently out to the right wing. Any bears who were still in the ground by then (admittedly not many) were absolutely raging!

I've no doubt omitted some other classic Bruno moments (and feel free to list your own in the comments below), but hopefully this has been an enjoyable little reminder of the sheer entertainment that was Pasquale Bruno during his time at Tynecastle. I wonder if and when we'll see his like again? I tell you what, we couldn't half do with someone like that at our club right now........

Read more: http://www.hearts.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=110300#ixzz56XYg8eyT

Enigma_87

You know who
To be honest I know Cravero mostly of the time while at Lazio, not Torino and stylistically IMO he isn't a bad fit for Baresi( the Scirea type). Correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon he played in a flat back 4 in the last season with Lazio when they finished 2nd in the league in 95.

Bruno I agree is a weak point but he isn't facing someone who can trouble him on that left side - only Chiara and he has a winger in front of him as well who will occupy your LB during transition.
Deschamps/Sousa is a great midfield but I don't think Almeyda/Veron suffer in comparison. Both proven, Serie A-winning partnerships, with Deschamps bettering Almeyda and Veron topping Sousa in terms of overall quality. Strangely, it's Almeyda and Sousa that happened to win the Guerin d'Oros, which only goes to show that neither are remotely out of their depth here I guess.
Aye, Almeyda and Veron are excellent choice as a midfield pair, but Deschamps and Sousa are great at doing what they need to do here - provide the stage for Rui Costa to shine and perhaps control the game (with 2 counter attacking sides, one has to do it at the end).

So yeah tough to separate the two sides, but the combination between the proven double pivot with Rui Costa on top of the midfield feeding balls to Sosa and Weah and a defence marshaled by Baresi won it for me.

Pat_Mustard

Well done @Pat_Mustard and @Moby. Well drafted side with strong Serie A CVs across the board.
Cheers Gio and well played. Honestly, I was expecting this to be far, far closer. You had a really well-constructed team (particularly all the way through the centre with Zenga/Baresi/Deschamps/Sousa/Sosa/Weah) and argued your case excellently as ever.

Just on the Cravero/Baresi point. We thought long and hard about their compatability particularly given he's often described as a libero. But when we viewed a lot of the Torino footage, he's very much an all-rounder. Strong in the air, excellent at covering across the defensive line, reading the game is top notch. His use of the ball is very precise as well which probably gives him that libero reputation when you contrast him to the more agricultural types from the era like Bruno, Vierchowod or Gentile. Basically I didn't think there would be anything missing from a Cravero/Baresi partnership and we would have been quite happy to ride those two to the final had we got there.

And on Bruno, yes he was a nutter. I love this piece on his time at Hearts:
Aye, I tried not to be too emphatic on that Cravero/Baresi point firstly as I don't remember much at all about Craero's playing style, and secondly because Baresi himself was such a great all-rounder that I can buy him partnered with most CBs, as long as there wouldn't be too great a clash as to who organises. No doubt Baresi would be the senior man here so it's fairly moot.

Great stuff on Bruno! It doesn't look like he's mellowed much in retirement:

Pasquale Bruno admits he fantasises about “punching Leonardo Bonucci in the face, giving him five stitches to a split lip.”

The former Torino and Fiorentina defender was nicknamed ‘The Animal’ for his ferocious attitude on the field and the legendary time he was sent off but refused to leave, forcing several teammates and club officials to drag him away.

“The other night I was watching Juve against Torino and seeing Bonucci protest all the time made me think,” Bruno told Tuttomercatoweb.

“I’d love to have the chance to play today, in a Juventus-Torino against Bonucci. Seeing him so excited, euphoric, ready to protest all the time, made me imagine Pasquale Bruno in the tunnel punching Bonucci in the face, splitting his lip with five stitches and that way he can’t talk for five months.

“His behaviour is absolutely infuriating. People didn’t like me, maybe I was the worst of the lot, but I fought hard and protested very little.

“This is my secret dream. Bonucci irritates me and I take as an example the penalty given against Bologna for a foul on Alvaro Morata.

“While the Bologna players were protesting, up comes Bonucci to tell the referee it was a penalty. That’s unacceptable.

“If I had been a Bologna player, I’d get myself sent off straight away for punching Bonucci. As a player he’s debatable too, as I consider him a normal defender, but his behaviour with his hands always raised to complain is what annoys me.”

A physical altercation with Bonucci might not be wise, as the Juventus and Italy defender punched a mugger who had held him at gunpoint.
https://www.football-italia.net/75257/bruno-i-want-punch-bonucci

:lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
My instincts tell me Gio could nick this, but that I would feel the same in any game when Baresi marshalls the defence of a CA side.

My heart screams Sosa (diametrically opposed to @oneniltothearsenal :lol:) and that Rui Costa would be the best player on the pitch... along with Baresi. But then it goes Brehme? Laudrup? WTF?

My head tells me both teams can and probably will score... but if PatDick score first it's pretty much game over. It's always the danger with "if you don't concede you can't lose", I'm not sure that side can turn around a game once it goes behind. It's just too 100% set up (and very well set up) for a singular Plan A.
:lol: Hardly surprising we are far apart on that one.