Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - Edgar Allan Pillow vs Antohan

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING: voting should be based on player performances in Serie A/Coppa Italia from the 90/91 season to 99/00. Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count.

TEAM EAP

VS

TEAM ANTOHAN

EAP TACTICS

GIOVANNI GALLI (Napoli, 1990-93) - Regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in Italy during his prime, Galli was an extremely consistent, composed and reliable goalkeeper, who was known in particular for his efficient rather than spectacular playing style. He was also known for his leadership and ability to organise his defence, and was quick off his line and possessed good distribution and ball skills.

Italian Supercup: 1990

GIANLUCA SIGNORINI (Genoa, 1990-95) - A large, tough, elegant, and physically strong player, Signorini is regarded as one of Italy's best and last true sweepers; his talent, technical ability, and tactical intelligence as a central defender had a strong influence on Franco Baresi's playing style. This linkillustrate on how Sacchi made a young Baresi watch and learn from Signorini's performances and follow his moves to smallest detail.

GIANLUCA PESSOTTO (Juventus, 1995-2000) - Pessotto was a correct, hard-working, tactically intelligent, and versatile utility player, who was able to play as a full-back or wing-back, or also as a central, defensive, or wide midfielder on either flank; despite being right-footed, he usually preferred to play on the left side of the pitch, where he was known for his ability to chase down opponents, win back the ball, and subsequently carry it up the flank. He was also used as a centre-back, due to his consistency, awareness, and man-marking ability.

Serie A - 1996-97, 1997-98
Coppa Italia - 1994-95
Supercoppa Italiana - 1995, 1997

MAURO TASSOTTI (Milan, 1990-97) - Regarded as one of Italy's greatest defenders, and as one of the best full-backs of his generation, he is mostly remembered for his role alongside in the legendary Milan backline of the early 1990s. Tassotti was a tenacious defensive minded full-back who was known for his strength, anticipation and defensive awareness, as well as his marking ability, positional sense and tactical intelligence. These attributes made him extremely adept at reading the game and at covering defensively for his teammates, and allowed him to excel in Milan's zonal marking system, which used a high defensive line and the offside trap.

Serie A - 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96
Supercoppa Italiana - 1992, 1993, 1994

GIUSEPPE PANCARO (Lazio 1997-2000) - A strong, reliable, and tenacious left-back, who was effective in the air, he was known for his stamina and work-rate, which allowed him to contribute both offensively and defensively. A versatile player, although he was usually deployed along the left flank, he was also capable of playing on the right. His discipline in training ensured that he was rarely injured throughout his career. In addition to his footballing abilities, he was also known for his consistency, correct behaviour, and leadership.

Serie A - 1999-00
Coppa Italia - 1997-98, 1999-00
Supercoppa Italiana - 1998, 2000

MASSIMO AMBROSINI (Milan 1995-00) - A physically strong, tenacious, energetic, and hardworking box-to-box, central, or defensive midfielder, with a wide range of skills, Ambrosini was well regarded for his ability in the air, and was capable of being a goal-threat, in particular from set-pieces, due to his height, elevation, ability to make attacking runs into the area, and his heading accuracy, as well as his powerful striking ability from distance. Throughout his career, he stood out for his leadership, as well as his stamina, versatility, tactical intelligence, and aggressive tackling. Although Ambrosini primarily served as a ball winner, he was also known for his ability to start attacking plays after winning back possession, courtesy of his vision and passing range.

Serie A - 1995-96, 1998-99
A.C Milan Hall of Famer

ALBERIGO EVANI (Milan 1990-93 | Sampdoria 1993-97) - Evani was a dynamic and skilful left-sided midfielder, whose speed, discipline and dependable qualities proved vital to the success of the Milan senior team during early 90s; his technique, distribution, crossing ability, and in particular his tendency to make attacking runs along the left flank enabled him to excel in this position. Due to his tactical intelligence, versatility, positional sense, stamina, and work-rate, he was also capable of playing as a full-back, a position which he frequently occupied earlier on in his career, or even as a central midfielder. Evani was also an accurate set-piece taker, and possessed a powerful shot from outside the area.

Serie A - 1991-92, 1992-93
Coppa Italia - 1993-94
Supercoppa Italiana - 1992, 1993
A.C Milan Hall of Famer

DEJAN STANKOVIC (Lazio 1998-2000) - An attacking midfielder who could also play out wide on the wings, or track back in a defensive midfield role. A tenacious and hard-working player, "Deki", as he is nicknamed, was best known for his efficient, accurate passing, versatility and creativity, as well as his ability to score goals from long distance;he was also effective in the air,and known for his overall influence on the pitch.

Serie A - 1999-00
Coppa Italia - 1999-00
Supercoppa Italiana - 1998, 2000

ROBERTO DONADONI (Milan 1990-96, 1997-99) - "Roberto Donadoni is the best Italian player of the 1990s " Michel Platini".Regarded as one of Italy's greatest ever wingers, Donadoni was a quick, consistent, intelligent and complete wide midfielder, who was capable of playing on either wing, through the centre, or even as an attacking midfielder. A highly talented player, he stood out for his pace, agility, and his outstanding technical ability; his acceleration, control, dribbling skills, and creativity allowed him to beat players with feints when undertaking individual runs. A hard-working, tactically versatile and energetic player, he was also known for his stamina, which allowed him to contribute defensively as well as offensively, as well as his vision and distribution, which enabled him to function as a box-to-box player. accurate crosseR and set-piece taker, he was also a powerful and accurate striker of the ball from distance with both feet.

Serie A - 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99
A.C Milan Hall of Famer

TOMAS BROLIN (Parma 1990-95) - A dynamic, energetic, creative and technically gifted footballer, Brolin was a world-class player in his prime, who was known for his excellent dribbling skills, as well as for his passing ability and powerful shots on goal.A versatile player, apart from Striker, he can also play offensive-midfield playmaker, winger, central midfielder and as a deep-lying forward throughout his career, due to his work-rate and tactical intelligence.

Coppa Italia - 1991-92,
Ballon d'Or (4th place) 1994

MARCO VAN BASTEN (Milan 1990-1995) - Regarded as one of the greatest strikers of all time, Van Basten was renowned for his attacking intelligence and clinical finishing, with a penchant for scoring acrobatic goals.His height and strength allowed him to excel in the air, and his technical ability and agility saw him execute spectacular strikes, such as volleys and bicycle kicks, throughout his career. A fast and opportunistic striker with quick reactions, he often took advantage of loose balls in the penalty area. Possessing a powerful and accurate shot, he was capable of scoring goals with both feet from inside or outside the penalty area, as well as with his head; he was also an accurate penalty kick and free-kick taker. In addition to his goalscoring ability, Van Basten possessed excellent vision and distribution, which enabled him to play in deeper, more creative positions and provide assists to his teammates. Despite his large stature, Van Basten possessed excellent technical skills and ball control, as well as good balance and a notable elegance on the ball, which inspired his nickname: "The Swan of Utrecht.

Serie A - 1991-92, 1992-93,
Supercoppa Italiana - 1992
Serie A Golden Boot - 1991-92
Ballon d'Or (Winner) & FIFA World Player of the Year - 1992
A.C Milan Hall of Famer
Italian Football Hall of Famer

TACTICS:

A compact defensive trio with Tassotti playing a defensive role enabling Pancaro to attack the flank. They are shielded by the hardworking Ambrosini. Both Evani and Stankovic have excellent workrate and defensive contribution to make this a tough midfield to break.

Pancaro will provide width down left flank. He.s supported by Evani with his trademark runs down the flank. Donadoni will work his magic on the right. The creativity of Stankovic will support him through the middle. The versatility of both Donadoni and Deki means they can swap places and interchange confusing their markers and making them difficult to mark out.

Brolin and Van Basten make for a super efficient partnership. At the peak, both were world class strikers and they have a stellar support group behind them setting up a platform for them to shine.

TEAM ANTOHAN TACTICS

Note: please follow links for less well known players

We set up as a classic 90s Serie A 3-4-1-2.

We have acknowledged Edgar’s key strengths (namely, the front two of van Basten and Brolin, and his stronger right flank with Donadoni) by deploying Benarrivo on the left and forming a rock solid central core with Mihajlovic, Sensini and Kohler. Angelo Peruzzi is right behind them, in case anything gets through. On the other flank we have José Herrera, a consistently reliable ever-present for Cagliari, playing 144 out of 170 Serie A games between 1990-95.

Not too worried about the rest, be it his midfield or defence, so we are not going to be playing backs against the wall long ball counters (if that were the case Claudio Caniggia and Kennet Andersson would be on the pitch, an option I always have off the bench to recoil back and play out the game).

Instead we expect to control the game in midfield, with a proven partnership like Crippa-Alemão, except that here they aren’t working in tandem with Maradona but Manuel Rui Costa, who carved up defences week in week out throughout the 90s for Fiorentina.

Along with the support received down the flanks, they will service one of the most devastating strike partnerships in 90s Serie A:
Aguilera-Skuhravy.

Serie A Top Scorers 1990-91

What we can easily infer from that is that, jointly scoring 30 goals, they were every bit as deadly as Matthäus-Klinsmann or Vialli-Mancini (who scored one more rigori, i.e. penalty). In doing so, they achieved Genoa’s best post-war Serie A finish: 4th, and a spot in the UEFA Cup. Remarkable.

"The Goal Twins - More than 50 goals for Genoa" (Serie A, 1990/91 & 1991/92)

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can you put the 2 formations together at the beginning of the post, @2mufc0 ?

idmanager

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING: voting should be based on player performances in Serie A/Coppa Italia from the 89/90 season to 99/00. Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count.
Shouldn't it be from 90/91 to 99/00?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good luck @antohan

A quick note. I think both teams are tactically set up well with no noticeable flaws. It would come down to player quality and I believe I have an edge there.

- Brolin came 4th in Ballon d'Or vote in 1994 and MvB won it in 1992. They clearly have an edge over their counterparts in this game and at their prime magical match changing players.
- Evani is a AC Milan Hall of Famer player and Stankovic are both better players than Alemao and Crippa. They both also have an advantage as they can drift wide and interchange with Pancaro/Donadoni respectively making my midfield more difficult to handle.

I think Anto has a big one man risk as his team needs Rui Costa to run the show. Ambrosini is a good fit here and has the workrate to keep up with Rui Costa and limit his influence.
Otherwise, anto'll depend on odd crosses from Benarrivo (who has Donadoni against him) to make things happen. I expect Donadoni to get the better of an exchange between these them too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good to see Marco managed to get over that ankle injury and turn out into his 30s.

Good luck @antohan

A quick note. I think both teams are tactically set up well with no noticeable flaws. It would come down to player quality and I believe I have an edge there.

- Brolin came 4th in Ballon d'Or vote in 1994 and MvB won it in 1992. They clearly have an edge over their counterparts in this game and at their prime magical match changing players.
- Evani is a AC Milan Hall of Famer player and Stankovic are both better players than Alemao and Crippa. They both also have an advantage as they can drift wide and interchange with Pancaro/Donadoni respectively making my midfield more difficult to handle.

I think Anto has a big one man risk as his team needs Rui Costa to run the show. Ambrosini is a good fit here and has the workrate to keep up with Rui Costa and limit his influence.
Otherwise, anto'll depend on odd crosses from Benarrivo (who has Donadoni against him) to make things happen. I expect Donadoni to get the better of an exchange between these them too.
Good point on Rui Costa. He is the key here for anto.

Not overly enthused by the Pancaro/Brolin/Ambrosini/Pessotto area of the park though. The right side is tasty though with a proven Tassotti - Donadoni - Van Basten axis.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Same mate, although I can't say I had it. Just involved in a car crash and waiting for the insurance people. Just bent metal and plastics though, fortunately.

Surprising you think that :lol: I disagree, your defence is all over the shop.

Although Brolin's 4th spot is clearly more about Sweden being 3rd in the World Cup, I won't dispute they are your star players and ones I really have to respect. I think the way my defence is set up reflects that.

BTW, you inadvertently listed a lot of Supercoppas Brolin never won. Poor copy pasting, boo!

- Evani is a AC Milan Hall of Famer player and Stankovic are both better players than Alemao and Crippa. They both also have an advantage as they can drift wide
Stankovic wasn't even an established regular. He showed great promise, but the Serie A winning Lazio midfield had others higher in the pecking order (Verón, Simeone and Almeyda). He did provide a good tactical option offering that ability to drift wide right, I'll give you that. Same with Evani.

Where I disagree is just dismissing a midfield pair that carried on in the same form that helped Napoli win the title in 89-90. Both of them were quite handy breaking through defensive lines to receive Diego's defence-splitting passes and Crippa in particular was completely at ease peeling wide left where he will find the exact same wingback he played in tandem with for a very tasty Parma side.

Ambrosini, like Stankovic, played the bulk of his career (let alone his peak) in the 00s. He only has a couple of seasons at the tail end of the 90s when he was finally getting regular appearances. By no means someone who can keep Rui Costa quiet.

Odd crosses :lol: Benarrivo has his back well covered, as does Herrera who will also chip them in. And it's not like I need that many (or my midfield trio getting much joy) for my proven strike pair to eviscerate that odd quartet mascherading as a defensive line.

antohan

Good point on Rui Costa. He is the key here for anto.
Yes, I expect my top class midfield playmaker to make a mark in the game.

Not overly enthused by the Pancaro/Brolin/Ambrosini/Pessotto area of the park though. The right side is tasty though with a proven Tassotti - Donadoni - Van Basten axis.
Aye, and that has guided the setup with Benarrivo shifted left and Sensini in the middle instead of the silkier André Cruz. Mihajlovic still provides a great outball from the back anyway.

Bar that, it's a bit of a mess though IMO, a mixed bag of players who either had their peak form outside the 90s or weren't particularly adept at their role. Looks like a bunch of squaddies from big clubs. Great to rack up on club titles.

At the other end you have Peruzzi-Kohler (Juve), Sensini-Mihajlovic (Lazio), Crippa-Alemão (Nápoli) and Aguilera-Skuhravy (Genoa) running up the spine.

And Benarrivo-Crippa (Parma) on the flank I need to neuter.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Pancaro - Evani is a good and solid if relatively unspectacular flank. They will move the ball ahead and between them provide a good outlet to attack.

As to my right wing, it also has Stankovic who was instrumental in Lazio's stellar run at that time and has played wide too.

Enigma_87

You know who
More like a tucked in Side Back. The Back 3 is compact with Pancaro only tasked to provide width. Donadoni mans the other flank.
Yeah, but why Pessotto as tucked in side back when you have Pancaro. Pessotto is much better going forward and usually played as a wing back for Juve at the time. Pancaro is a defensive full back who also played as a CB in some games. It should be the other way around.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah, but why Pessotto as tucked in side back when you have Pancaro. Pessotto is much better going forward and usually played as a wing back for Juve at the time. Pancaro is a defensive full back who also played as a CB in some games. It should be the other way around.
From what was able to gather, Pancaro acted as a wingback for his teams. Pessotto has done that, but was more of a bit in a straight back 4 formation. He is also a better defensive manmarker than pancaro, so fits in there perfectly.

Yeah. A lot hinges on which Brolin rocks up.
Just the Parma version. Very successful and influential for the team between 1990-94. He excelled in that era in a 2 striker formation with Melli and would fit in well with MvB upgrade. Very versatile in dropping back to link with midfield or moving up to stretch play and open spaces. Quite comfortable drifting wide and this formation offers him flexibility to showcase his skills.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Evani, Stankovic and Ambrosini are all excellent defensively with tremendous workrate and Rui Costa will rarely have time and space to have a lasting influence. It's not possible to negate him completely, but then anto's team would be without 90% of their creativity if Rui Costa is hobbled.

Between Stankovic, Donadoni, Brolin and van Basten, I have a wider variety of threats from all over the park, supported by able and hardworking players.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Fun presentation on your striker duo Anto. I like that Panini pic
Only question mark for me is Pessotto. I remember the Pancaro pick seemed odd to me that Pillow wasn't going for a CB. Surely a Pessotto-CB-Signorini-Tassotti line would have been stronger than playing Pessotto as a CB?

antohan

You discounting 1998-99 season, why?
You said he was instrumental in their run to the title?

As said, I wouldn't rubbish him as the talent was clear, but he wasn't at his peak, a regular, let alone instrumental.

Mihajlovic on the other hand...

Enigma_87

You know who
From what was able to gather, Pancaro acted as a wingback for his teams. Pessotto has done that, but was more of a bit in a straight back 4 formation. He is also a better defensive manmarker than pancaro, so fits in there perfectly.
I tend to disagree on both.

Pancaro acted as a defensive full back for Lazio. He was either right or left back and played behind Sérgio Conceição or Pavel Nedved. He wasn't wingback by any means. For Milan he was usually a sub and filled voids.

Pessotto was definitely more versatile, but not surely what you mean by better defensive manmarker? :confused:

antohan

Seems you gathered it all the complete wrong way around. Explains a lot really.

Just the Parma version. Very successful and influential for the team between 1990-94. He excelled in that era in a 2 striker formation with Melli and would fit in well with MvB upgrade. Very versatile in dropping back to link with midfield or moving up to stretch play and open spaces. Quite comfortable drifting wide and this formation offers him flexibility to showcase his skills.
I think what @Gio was getting at was his inconsistency. But yeah, lovely player on his day, that's why I have three hard as nails competitive bastards on his and Mario's case, with Sensini well suited to step up in front of them in the DM role he had to shut down games at Lazio (more likely upon turn overs here and there).

Evani, Stankovic and Ambrosini are all excellent defensively with tremendous workrate and Rui Costa will rarely have time and space to have a lasting influence. It's not possible to negate him completely, but then anto's team would be without 90% of their creativity if Rui Costa is hobbled.
You are not playing the real peak version of any of them, just what they did in the 90s. In fairness to Evani, he has on his side the experience the other two lacked.

You are severely underrating the B2B impact Crippa and Alemão had, very complete players and more adept at bearing the burden of a midfield battle on their shoulders than any of yours.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Seems you gathered it all the complete wrong way around. Explains a lot really.

I think what @Gio was getting at was his inconsistency. But yeah, lovely player on his day, that's why I have three hard as nails competitive bastards on his and Mario's case, with Sensini well suited to step up in front of them in the DM role he had to shut down games at Lazio (more likely upon turn overs here and there).

You are not playing the real peak version of any of them, just what they did in the 90s. In fairness to Evani, he has on his side the experience the other two lacked.

You are severely underrating the B2B impact Crippa and Alemão had, very complete players and more adept at bearing the burden of a midfield battle on their shoulders than any of yours.
Honestly there will be no midfield battle. All I do is to limit Rui Costa and you'll find it hard to break my team.

Very unidimensional, your team is.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Two of the ropiest teams. Edgar's Elephants lack pace and look well unbalanced and defence looks Donadodgi. Antohan's Arseholes are a nasty bunch of feckers.

EAP would edge it due to Marco Van Basten scoring a worldie scorpion kick after a tummy touchdown from Rollin Brolin, and a couple of penalties after Mihaijlovic is sent off. Skuhravy might score, perhaps after poleaxing Galli. Mihaijlovic might belt in a free kick before his early bath. Which he might be sensuously sharing with Sensini.

Rui Costa to get royally fecked off with the rest of his team's agricultural hoofing of it over his head.

3-2 to the Elephants.

Either team's chances of progressing further seem considerably slimmer than Tomas Brolin.

antohan

Honestly there will be no midfield battle. All I do is to limit Rui Costa and you'll find it hard to break my team.

Very unidimensional, your team is.
And yet Fiorentina kept beating teams with the exact same setup but far more limited midfielders.

If not playing players out of position and drawing arrows everywhere is unidimensional then I'm glad to be so.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Two of the ropiest teams. Edgar's Elephants lack pace and look well unbalanced and defence looks Donadodgi. Antohan's Arseholes are a nasty bunch of feckers.

EAP would edge it due to Marco Van Basten scoring a worldie scorpion kick after a tummy touchdown from Rollin Brolin, and a couple of penalties after Mihaijlovic is sent off. Skuhravy might score, perhaps after poleaxing Galli. Mihaijlovic might belt in a free kick before his early bath. Which he might be sensuously sharing with Sensini.

Rui Costa to get royally fecked off with the rest of his team's agricultural hoofing of it over his head.

3-2 to the Elephants.

Either team's chances of progressing further seem considerably slimmer than Tomas Brolin.
:lol:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Also, commiserations to antohan for losing but congratulations on Alemao winning the player-who-most-resembles-Kevin-Richardson award.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I tend to disagree on both.

Pancaro acted as a defensive full back for Lazio. He was either right or left back and played behind Sérgio Conceição or Pavel Nedved. He wasn't wingback by any means. For Milan he was usually a sub and filled voids.

Pessotto was definitely more versatile, but not surely what you mean by better defensive manmarker? :confused:
while wing-back Giuseppe Pancaro, signed from Cagliari, also proved to be a key player.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_S.S._Lazio_season

I reckon he's at par with Gary Neville here. Something I believe to be at par excepting a handful of players during that era.

idmanager

I wonder how much did Pessotto play as a CB before 2000 considering the players Juve had there. I don't have the stats but I could bet not quite a lot.
One would imagine maybe he played there in the later stages of his career there. A bit of a deal breaker that for me especially against a 2 man striker setup.

One thing I would change in Antohan's setup is move Kohler to the other side onto the Tassoti-Donadoni-Van Basten axis.

TheReligion

Abusive

3-2 to the Elephants.

:lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
At the moment I've gone for EAP on the basis that he has got the better front two and Ambrosini, who was tireless, deployed specifically to pester the legend Rui Costa.

I could be persuaded otherwise given Rui, Sinisa and Peruzzi are three of my favourites from the era, however currently I think its a close game which a moment of brilliance up top wins.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

3-2 to the Elephants.

:lol: This has to be a feature in every match now or the result won't be accepted.

harms

Staff
Pessotto is an odd one for sure. Considering the CB pool's depth I struggle to imagine why would Edgar play him there

harms

Staff
How was van Basten's record against Kohler in Italy btw? When I think of their clashes I'm usually thinking of international games, which are irrelevant here.

Enigma_87

You know who
How was van Basten's record against Kohler in Italy btw? When I think of their clashes I'm usually thinking of international games, which are irrelevant here.
I thought for a while MvB never scored against him in Italy, found it in a bit of a trivia. Then @Pat_Mustard corrected me tho :lol:

With that being said I think Kohler has a great record against him and definitely was rock solid against Milan.

Think anto has a good core to neutralize Edgars attack there especially with three at the back. Rui Costa will have some joy against Ambrosini, regardless whether it's peak Ambrosini or not.

It's definitely close, as Edgar's right flank and MvB/Brolin combo is pretty tasty.

harms

Staff
I thought for a while MvB never scored against him in Italy, found it in a bit of a trivia. Then @Pat_Mustard corrected me tho :lol:

With that being said I think Kohler has a great record against him and definitely was rock solid against Milan.

Think anto has a good core to neutralize Edgars attack there especially with three at the back. Rui Costa will have some joy against Ambrosini, regardless whether it's peak Ambrosini or not.

It's definitely close, as Edgar's right flank and MvB/Brolin combo is pretty tasty.
Looked it up, in the league it's 1 goal in 2 games for van Basten.
No doubt that Kohler is the best stylistic fit for Marco though, probably of all-time (not that anyone can realistically completely stop him from scoring)