Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - oneniltothearsenal vs Cal?

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING: voting should be based on player performances in Serie A/Coppa Italia from the 90/91 season to 99/00. Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count.

TEAM ONENIL

VS

TEAM CAL?

ONENIL TACTICS

Serie A style 4312

Atacante: Careca

Atacante: Faustino Asprilla

Fantasista: Roberto Baggio

Centrocampista-Mezz’ala: Dino Baggio

Centrocampista-Mezz’ala: Giancarlo Marocchi

Mediano: Sandro Cois

Laterale: Roberto Mussi

Laterale: Jose Chamot

Stopper: Alessandro Costacurta

Libero: Lorenzo Minotti

Keeper: Batman Taglialatela

The overall goal is to play an attacking/counter Italian style with a classic 90s formation maximizing the free role Roberto Baggio at his best. Careca offers movement, guile, combination play with a variety of finishing options. Asprilla brings pace, power, acrobatic finishes, long range shooting. Both can comfortably roam to either wing to create space for Baggio’s dreamy dribbling or get on the end of one of Roberto’s long range assists. With this attacking trio there are endless attacking and counter attacking possibilities.

Supporting Baggio from behind is a familiar classic Italian trio as a base. Cois, Dino and Marocchi all play the role their career peak was in. There are many combos here. Cois played a similar role very effectively for Fiorentina. Marocchi and Dino are both tactically intelligent and both excelled in the mezz’ala role in an Italian diamond. Both are great as a pivot when needed providing width in the midfield and timely box to box runs. Additionally both played with Roberto Baggio successfully at Juventus and Marocchi also played for Bologna during Roberto’s outstanding season there.

The defense is anchored by a classic Italian libero-stopper combo. Costacurta was a sound stopper for Milan during this entire decade. Minotti is a bit under the radar due to having Baresi at the start of his career but Minotti was outstanding during the Parmalat era calmly controlling play from the back and defending with elegance. Mussi won the Coppa Italia twice, with Torino in 92-93 and Parma in 98-99. Mussi excellend as a classic top Serie A fullback showing positional intelligence. He has some great assists sparkled through this era so while he is not a corner charging modern attacking full back he contributes to both phases. Chamot excelled in the middle of the 90s for Foggia and Lazio as a tenacious left back. He offers the grit and hard knocks to complement Mussi who is classy and as they say ‘always correct’. Taglialatela is the Serie A for penalty save percentage and offers a solid array of shot stopping techniques.

CAL? TACTICS

Abbiati was a very capable keeper who played for Milan for over a decade, wining 3 titles including 98-99.

Ahead of him, Galli was part of Milan's legendary defense in the early 90s, he played over 200 times for Milan and won 5 titles during that time. Next to him, Desailly, who only occasionally played at CB, but excelled whenever he was played there. Panucci and Zambrotta will provide the width on either side.

Gattuso and Jorgensen will provide the stability in midfield that allows the attacking players to thrive.

Gazza struggled with injuries during his time at Lazio, but when fit, he was still more than capable of moments of magic and led Lazio to a European place in his first season there.

Lentini was a real star in his Torini days and was the most expensive player in the world when he transferred to Milan, playing a crucial role in winning the title in 92-93, his career never recovered from the accident.

Totti, L'Ottavo Re di Roma (The Eighth King of Rome), the 2nd highest scorer in Serie A history.

Klinsmann, one of the most feared strikers in the world in the early 90s.

My attacking trio should compliment each other very well, pace, vision and finishing in abundance.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There's no contest here tbh. Way too many players off peak/position. Can't see that working at all @Cal?

@oneniltothearsenal while it was wise not to prioritise fullbacks, you will need better ones to pull off the diamond going forward.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@oneniltothearsenal Do you think the 10 free role is the best for Baggio? I'd prefer him in a second striker position in a diamond or 3-4-1-2 so he can drift left but also be closer to the goal. I'd also tend to put more playmaker style players at 10 in a diamond than a second-striker unless you're going for the Pirlo Milan era diamond

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Remember Jorgensen, Desailly and Zambrotta all playing further forward than that.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Remember Jorgensen, Desailly and Zambrotta all playing further forward than that.
Indeed. Jorgensen was a right winger/ second-striker IIRC. The reason I know this is because on one of the old Champ managers 99/00 or 00/01 he always scored against me

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
"It's not a CENSORED diamond, honestly, sinch, I've used fancy Italian position names and everything".

Yeah, yeah, 1-0, course you av me old china, but you ain't got no width sunshine, 'av ya? I mean Chamot and Mussi are gonna get fecking giddy if they pass 'alf way, ain't it? (It's a CENSORED diamond, mate.)

Imaginary duologues aside, and despite all the 'characters' (idiots) involved on the pitch, this match was a disappointing affair, in the end decided by which was the worst keeper - a bunch of ribbon pasta at one end, or Abbiati, one of the flappier keepers in my memory, at the other. In the end, well, I'll let you read it if you can be arsed.

Cal's Cockbadgers were a bit of a mess to begin with, with a very sound back four spoilt by some proper show ponies in front of them, but captain Desailly was keeping the ship steady and some credit has to go to Cal for bothering to pick some high quality defenders, as well as having Zambrotta, that rare beast of a full back from Serie A who can really attack - pretty essential for all these teams who can't seem to be bothered with attacking width anywhere in their formations, even when they do have the players for it. And these managers are supposed to be United fans? Pishcha!

As for One-nil's Nihilists, they were set up for attrition, with the attacking plan basically being 'give it the ponytail' (but said in a fancy Italian accent of course, meaning of course Roberto Baggio). Maybe not such a bad plan, especially with Careca about to finish anything off in the area. Unfortunately, they spent a lot of the match pinned back and fending off the subtle promptings of young Totti. Funnily enough, this was pretty much exactly what was on Gazza's mind, too, or at least something like that, amidst some fog and some Newcy Brown, and maybe that played a part in him having one of his less influential games, as he was forced deeper and deeper, not helped by having a right-winger playing behind him, and to the left. Some stern words were had with his manager at half time, but unfortunately no one understood what they were, and there were tears in the changing room. Asked to play as a 'centrocampista' in the second half, Gazza sadly misunderstood the instruction and was to be found rolling around in an alcoholic daze for the rest of the game.

Some drama finally came to the game when Tino Asprilla got involved in an altercation with Desailly and got himself sent off. Good news for 'The Octopus' as he could sit down and have a good meal instead of playing in this pretty drossy game. However, the Cockbadgers for some time failed to take advantage, with Panucci deciding he was really not very happy going forward so didn't really bother, Jorgensen having a strop at being out of position, and Gazza crying.

0-0 at 90 minutes. Oh for feck's sake, you all say, and rightly so. Some extra time that noone wanted, least of all anyone still reading this.

Ah, but what's this? A penalty for the Nihilists! Panucci upends the ponytail in the box, and 'Our' Baggio smacks Careca away and decides to take it himself. What a dick. Surely we all know he's famous for missing important penalties? But maybe that world cup hasn't happened yet, who knows? Anyway, he fecks it, placing it expertly but shitly smack against the post instead of drilling the fecker in, as surely Careca would have done. Disaster!

In the end, being down to ten men and demoralized by the missed penalty but most of all by the sheer suffocating dullness of their own midfield and 'full back attacking options' (shite), the Nihilists lost control of their own defence, and with a few minutes of extra time to run, Zambrotta got past Mussi and swung in a decent looking cross at last. With Minotti taking his 'libero' instructions way too seriously for someone in a back four, Jurgen the German was in plenty of space and got on the end of it. His header was straight down the keeper's theoretical throat. Fortunately for him, the keeper being made of pasta did for him.

1-0 to the Cockbadgers a.e.t. but some hairdryer stuff from Cal at the end of the game. Undeserved really, all the manager's fault in my opinion.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Roberto Baggio

Iconic of Serie A in the 1990s. Faced some of the dizziest heights and also tragic moments with the calm of a Shaolin master. No need to write much more as its already been written.

Juventus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYN6VhcOPQ

Milan

Bologna

Inter

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
@oneniltothearsenal Do you think the 10 free role is the best for Baggio? I'd prefer him in a second striker position in a diamond or 3-4-1-2 so he can drift left but also be closer to the goal. I'd also tend to put more playmaker style players at 10 in a diamond than a second-striker unless you're going for the Pirlo Milan era diamond
For me its both. He played both roles at his peak level in Serie A imo. It really depended on his managers and other teammates how his sides set up. I don't particularly think Italy's tactics maximized his talents for instance. He also had 21% of his assists as considered long range assists (I lost my old bookmarks but I remember that stat) and he fabulously made goals for players like Ravenelli, Vialli, etc.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
-rubbish-
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING: voting should be based on player performances in Serie A/Coppa Italia from the 90/91 season to 99/00. Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Ah but he missed 14 penalties in Serie A too over his career, most of them probably in the 90s, and another one, unfortunately for you, in this imaginary match.

Again, complaints to @noodlehair.

Smoochies,

Sinch

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Ah but he missed 14 penalties in Serie A too over his career, most of them probably in the 90s, and another one, unfortunately for you, in this match.
Yes and Zambrotta was a left wing in 90s not a LB, Desailly was a DM not a CB, Jorgenson was a SS/Winger not a DM and Gazza was a drunk. But have fun in your fantasy land narrative!

Please direct all complaints to: reality:wenger:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Agree. I think Baggio just like Maradona is often used as #10, but was a better as a SS playing in a free role behind a CF. Fanstastic goal scorers and a bit wasted in a #10 role feeding 2 CFs ahead.

Pirlo Milan era was a 4-3-2-1 and not a diamond right? Kaka and Rui Costa behind Sheva, iirc.

antohan

Yes and Zambrotta was a left wing in 90s not a LB, Desailly was a DM not a CB, Jorgenson was a SS/Winger not a DM and Gazza was a drunk. But have fun in your fantasy land narrative!

Please direct all complaints to: reality:wenger:
You are not meant to take him seriously mate

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Agree. I think Baggio just like Maradona is often used as #10, but was a better as a SS playing in a free role behind a CF. Fanstastic goal scorers and a bit wasted in a #10 role feeding 2 CFs ahead.

Pirlo Milan era was a 4-3-2-1 and not a diamond right? Kaka and Rui Costa behind Sheva, iirc.
I'm thinking a bit later (I think) with Milan when it was Kaka behind Shevchenko and Crespo - so there Baggio would replace Shevchenko.

I'm not with you as much with Maradona as he was much more of a playmaker than Baggio and better suited to the 10 role IMO

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Baggio doing what he does best.
Joking about that penalty miss triggers me and should really be added to Niall's 'inappropriate language' thread :(.

Although if this was actually a round-about way of pointing out that Baggio has taken 107 penalties with a 85% success rate, and Messi has taken 101 career penalties with a piffling 77% success rate, and that Baggio is absolutely fecking awesome, then I forgive you :)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You are not meant to take him seriously mate
Oh I know, I had a brief flash of pub anger there with the WC94 reference :lol:
Which is ironic as I cheered wildly at the time when him and Baresi missed.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Last edited:

diarm

Breaks my heart to vote against him but the better side will win this.

Cal's Team 5 - 4 Baggio :(

antohan

Feck yeah. That miss defines him more than his career unfortunately in popular discussions. If only....
His entire career unravelled thereafter tbh. He was in an upwards trajectory 1988-94 and immediately after everything started going wrong:

1) Move to Milan to win the CL => Juve win the CL

2) Benched at Milan, demand a move => move agreed with Parma => new Parma boss Carlo Ancelotti wasn't keen on creative forwards, tells him he must play as a striker, Baggio doesn't like it => ends up at Bologna

3) Revitalised at Bologna gets a move to Inter => wants #10 => gets #10 => #1+8 gets more games

4) Moves to Brescia for Indian Summer

idmanager

Gazza is being underrated here as he didn't have a terrible time in Italy.
Of course, the shape is not quality.

I did contemplate getting Gazza in one of the rounds and think he should do well on the right side of the diamond, a role which he should have been assigned here IMO.
Agree that Totti should be left alone in the hole.

On Onenil's team, I don't mind Baggio in this role at all.
If I had to choose a striker perfect for Baggio in this role, it would be Careca, the expert at moving out of the way and creating space for the maestros behind him.

Completely disagree with Desailly not being a CB though. He had already played enough of that even before moving to Serie A and was available for both roles at Milan although he played majorly as a DM.
That should be a good enough reason to accept it.

Last edited: