Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - Prath92/Crappy vs Moby/Pat_Mustard

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING: voting should be based on player performances in Serie A/Coppa Italia from the 90/91 season to 99/00. Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count.

TEAM Prath92/Crappy

VS

TEAM MOBY/PAT_MUSTARD

PRATH92/CRAPPY TACTICS

Goalkeeper

Luca Bucci - A reliable goalkeeper who won multiple honours with Parma.who was known for his consistency, athleticism, and acrobatic style of play. He was highly regarded for his speed when rushing off his line to anticipate strikers outside the area who had beaten the offside trap, and for his ability to get to ground quickly to collect or parry the ball, and was also effective at stopping penalties.Furthermore, Bucci was highly competent with the ball at his feet

Defence

Andrea Fortunato - A strong, hard-working, dyanmic, energetic, and gregarious team player, Fortunato was known for his pace, class, stamina, determination, and tactical intelligence as a footballer, which enabled him to cover the left flank well and win back possession effectively. He also had a good left foot and was known for his crossing accuracy from the touchline, and ability to beat opponents, make attacking runs down the wing, and deliver balls to teammates in the area. He had been compared to Paolo Maldini and Antonio Cabrini by his managers

Mark Iuliano - A key player for Juventus in the late 90s, he was regarded as one of the best and most consistent Italian defenders of his generation, Iuliano was a large, tenacious, and physically strong defender, who excelled in the air, and who was an accomplished man-marker and an experienced tackler.

Lorenzo Amoruso - Another Reliable CB who was key to Fiorentina’s success during the mid 90s where they reached Cup Winners Cup and won the Coppa Italia and super Cup.

Paolo Negro - He was a strong, aggressive, tenacious, hard-tackling, physical player, who excelled in the air, and who possessed a powerful shot from distance. He was also a tactically intelligent, reliable, and versatile player, and a cautious, disciplined defender, who excelled at zonal-marking. He was also an attentive man-marker, with reliable technique and distribution, as well as good pace and stamina, which allowed him to be effective when going forward along the right flank after winning back possession.

Midfield

Demetrio Albertini
- Albertini was a complete, experienced and composed midfielder, who was gifted with stamina, power, technique, and class, which allowed him to be regarded as one of the best midfielders of his generation. His key strengths as a player were his mentality, his excellent vision, tactical knowledge and ball control, but above all, his brilliant passing range, which made him a bonafide legendary member of the Milan of the 90s. During his time with Milan, he won 5 league titles, 2 Champions Leagues, 2 Uefa Super Cups and three Italian Super Cups. A proper “Metronome”.

Paul Ince - A tenacious, athletic, and hard-working player, Ince was known for his tireless running and ability to provide defensive support to his team in midfield. He was extremely effective in both attack and defence. Some may think he was not at his best during his time at Inter but he helped Inter finish third in his second season, scoring as many as 7 goals from a midfield position. Inter wanted to extend his contract but he left on his own accord.

Stefan Schwarz - A reliable midfielder who was hardworking but at the same time technically gifted. He was part of a very good side Fiorentina had in the late 90s under Viola, winning the Italian and the Super Italian Cup. Was also a part of the Swedish that came third in the 94 world cup too. He complements Ince and Albertini well

Attack

Pavel Nedved - A mainstay in the Lazio team of the late 90s. Due to his crossing ability, with his left foot, as well as due to his ability to cut inside and shoot with his right foot. Primarily known for his powerful shots and volleys from distance, as well as his stamina, he was also noted for his speed, endurance, technique and goal-scoring ability. He was also an accurate set piece taker

Déjàn Savicevic - One of the most gifted playmakers of the 90s Milan side, he was often played out wide on the wings there, on either flank, due to his ability to provide crosses to teammates in the area from the left wing, or cut into the centre onto his stronger left foot from the right. Milan bought him before the 90/91 season for a fee around 9.4 million, at a time when the world record fee was 10 million. He had some troubles in his early days for Milan due to being a Berlusconi purchase rather than a Capello one, but when he got to prove himself he shone. He scored 15 goals in 42 matches in 2 seasons from 1994-1996.

Christian Vieri - Vieri was a complete, quick, prolific and opportunistic striker, with a keen eye for goal. He was unique and direct offensive in his style of play, which blended power with pace and a solid technique. Which made him quite dangerous both in the air and with the ball at his feet.

Why we will win

1. We have a very strong midfield and attack which has both hard work and technical ability. A trio of Nedved Vieri and Savicevic supported by Schwarz Ince and Albertini will create chances even with the best of defenders. More over in addition to Vieri - Nedved, Dejan and Ince are capable of getting on the scoresheet.

2. A midfield of Ince Schwarz and Albertini is a very good trio and can dominate most midfields. It is excellent in both defensive work rate and ball winning abilities but is just as excellent in attacking contribution. More over they will be aided by Nedved who as hardworking as any winger/AM could be. We believe we can dominate possession in this match and create most chances as a result.

3. We also have a very reliable defence with defenders who were key to title wins. Both Fortunato and Iuliano were highly rated defenders who were reliable and consistent to a reasonable degree. Had it not been for Fortunato’s untimely demise, he was seen as a mainstay for Italian and Juventus set up. Iuliano was also key member for Juventus for a longtime in many title wins. Both Amoruso and Negro are also very reliable defenders who, even though they aren’t big names, they are well capable of performing to a very good level. Most importantly the defence has at least 4 midfielders in front of it, to enhance the overall defensive prowess of the team.

MOBY/PAT_MUSTARD TACTICS

Formation: 3-4-1-2

A classic Serie A formation, and a familiar one for our era-defining centre forward Gabriel Batistuta, who tore up Serie A for most of the decade and played a similar setup for Fiorentina. We’re content to cede some possession here, defend in numbers and then slice the opposition open on the counter with one of the finest attacks in the draft.

Goalkeeper: Luca Marchegiani. Boasts an impressive body of work and performance level across the entire decade, and has the edge in quality over his opposite number Bucci in this match.

Defence: Fabio Cannavaro and Julio Cesar flank our sweeper Luca Fusi. Fusi played much of his career as a midfielder before dropping back to play as a sweeper with distinction during his final two seasons with Torino. Torino boasted the fifth and sixth best defensive records respectively in those two Serie A seasons, and Fusi was ranked by Dbscalcio.it as their first and second best player respectively. His intelligent reading of the game and good distribution will kickstart our transitions here, and in the defensive phase he’s amply protected by two monstrous defenders in Cannavaro and Cesar. Cesar was an ox-strong and technical CB who excelled alongside Jurgen Kohler in a miserly Juve defence, while Cannavaro’s credentials as one of the all-time great Italian defenders speak for themselves.

At wing back, Alberto Di Chiari will run our left flank. An industrious and creative converted winger, he impressed for an excellent Parma team in the same role. At RWB we field the Juventus stalwart Birindelli. He’s got the most demanding individual assignment in our team vs Nedved, but his defence-first nature and the protection of our three man central defence will stand him in decent stead.

Midfield: The voracious ball-winner Almeyda partners the offensive B2B David Platt, who had a stellar Serie A career marred only by an unsuccessful season at Juventus, averaging around a goal every three games from midfield for Bari and Sampdoria. He has some history with our trequartista and leader Mancini, who effectively harassed him into signing for Sampdoria.

Trequartista: Roberto Mancini takes centre stage here in the role that he revered sufficiently to write a Masters Thesis on it. If the increasingly pervasive Sacchi 4-4-2 orthodoxy led to him playing much of his career in a two-man attacking line, his skill-set and instincts mark him as a classic trequartista. A wonderfully creative talisman who book-ended a decade at the cutting edge of Serie A with a Scudetto win at either side, he was at his zenith during Sampdoria’s 1990-91 triumph. Here, as with Sampdoria, he’ll be at home playing on the counter, and he’ll be in his element supplying two prolific goalscorers.

Attack: Batistuta’s credentials bear comparison with any forward in the draft: 151 goals in 243 Serie A games across the decade, all of them playing outside of the traditional powerhouse clubs for Fiorentina, with a high-water mark of 26 goals in 32 games in 1994-95. He’s in a familiar system here, and he’ll thrive off the creativity of Mancini and his dynamic, hard-running partner Enrico Chiesa, a consistently good performer across the decade who hit an astonishing peak in 1995-96 (playing with one Roberto Mancini at Sampdoria) of 22 goals in 27 Serie A appearances. A scorer of great goals as well as a great goalscorer, Chiesa had an incredible knack for the spectacular from long-range – videos to follow in the match thread.

Last edited:

idmanager

Amazing front 3 that in the Batistuta team, but the ball retention capabilities in that midfield look very bleak.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
'Molto Bello!!'

No, not what I told the doc when I somehow managed to injure little sinch when the candle wax went down a bit too far from the belly button, but a description of this match.

The elegance and wizardry of Batigol and Chiesa up against the hardmen of Amoruso and Iuliano. I think we all know what's going to happen there, but other areas of the pitch offered some tasty battles and a real spectacle for the neutral fan, as well as offering a mildly irritating (from my point of view) lack of chances to poke fun at the managers for dodgy setups.

Crappy's Scatmen started the match well, with Nedved and Savicevic causing problems for the well stocked, if mostly a bit diminutive, Mustardmen defence. They got an early breakthrough after Savicevic bamboozled Fusi and slipped it between Marchegiani's legs. Nice to see old Dejan happy and with no need to tell his manager to feck himself like he did with Capello. 1-0 Scatmen, wee ba da ba da bop.

Still, it was only a matter of time before the Mustardmen's array of sexy attacking options broke through, Platt scoring somehow off his shin or arse. One of several players on the pitch (along with Vieri and Albertini) who seemed to be very effective despite never looking very good at football, Platty gave his usual charismatic interview after the game with only three 'obviously's littered amongst other Plattitudes. IMO it was the shape of the 3 across midfield that led to the goal or at least meant that I didn't have to bang on about diamonds and use words the caf doesn't like. 'What a refreshing tactic', as Platty might have put it, showing no sign of why he has such an enormous head. 1-1 at the break, but a cracking contest.

After the break Batigol unsurprisingly scored and Chiesa followed suit, both beautiful goals that I would describe if I wasn't getting a bit tired of making up goal descriptions. Point is, they were fecking good, and Iuliano, in particular, was a bit of a clogger. Goals.

Negro and Schwarz were both having bad days and formed a bit of a 'black hole' in the scatmen's setup, which is a really dodgy 'clever' joke that even I know is not remotely funny but I am tired, so tired. Good job Kingsley Black didn't play in Serie A or I assume he would have been picked as well.

Still at 3-1 the Mustardmen looked to be cruising and took their collective feet off the gas, with Mancini the main culprit, seemingly caught getting simultaneously fecked off with his team mates for their lack of discipline but also not really focussing himself. Maybe he was contemplating his next thesis or his future disgusting allegiances, who knows? In any case, Vieri was finally able to distract Julio Cesar with some good old Aussie sledging and bury a header. 3-2 and what a match was developing. In my fecking head.

Growing in confidence, the Scatmen pulled level with a great strike from Nedved, after his flowing locks momentarily deceived Cannavaro. Golazo! And still time to win it!

But no. Oh no. There's Bucci rushing out of his goal and getting into a right mess with the formerly mentioned overrated Albertini, and there's Batigol picking up the pieces and lashing it home. What a game. What a relief I can finish writing.

Still, spicy stuff from the Mustardmen and Negro Fortunato on the scatmunchers.

See you next time.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Best front trio in the draft by a mile. At this stage and possibly at a final.

Midfield provides a good platform, particularly with Fusi (an inspired pick) shuttling between the lines.

The wingbacks are underwhelming, but Zanetti and Benarrivo are now available. And Kohler for Julio César as it's likely nobody remembers him and keeps f8nding the goalie's wiki.

Ominous.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Once again can’t see the score...

Guess both team strategies are clear, a CA set up by them while we intend to dominate the ball. I think for a 3412, his wing backs are underwhelming to say the least. For me wingbacks in a back 5 have always been critical.

Unlike Sincher, I think Albertini would be a key player for us here. I expect him to run the game. Both Nedved and Savicevic are capable of scoring/creating too. Combined with Ince bombing forward, I think we are good for a goal or two at least.

sincher

Unlike Sincher, I think Albertini would be a key player for us here.
Absolutely a key player. Just not in a positive sense.

You did score 3 mate. Just got a bit fecked by your cloggers at the back.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Best front trio in the draft by a mile. At this stage and possibly at a final.

Midfield provides a good platform, particularly with Fusi (an inspired pick) shuttling between the lines.

The wingbacks are underwhelming, but Zanetti and Benarrivo are now available. And Kohler for Julio César as it's likely nobody remembers him and keeps f8nding the goalie's wiki.

Ominous.
Cheers Anto. We had a feeling that Fusi would last so we delayed picking him for ages which was a serious gamble looking back. He's ended up being quite crucial to the setup with his ability to step into midfield and his quality on the ball.

he elegance and wizardry of Batigol and Chiesa up against the hardmen of Amoruso and Iuliano. I think we all know what's going to happen there, but other areas of the pitch offered some tasty battles and a real spectacle for the neutral fan, as well as offering a mildly irritating (from my point of view) lack of chances to poke fun at the managers for dodgy setups.
Cheers mate. Glad we escaped the ridicule :D. Although I'll admit to rating Albertini on the other team quite highly :nervous:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Two really good sides. Will have to watch the discussion to play out before making up my mind

antohan

Cheers Anto. We had a feeling that Fusi would last so we delayed picking him for ages which was a serious gamble looking back. He's ended up being quite crucial to the setup with his ability to step into midfield and his quality on the ball.
You got very lucky there. I was in two minds over André Cruz and Fusi in that round. Went with Cruz purely because I already had too many picks and targets on the wrong side of the 90s and had a feeling (by now fully confirmed) that most never actually watched Serie A until the second half of that decade and most memories go off EC/UEFA/WC and not the actual league.

Pat_Mustard

Once again can’t see the score...

Guess both team strategies are clear, a CA set up by them while we intend to dominate the ball. I think for a 3412, his wing backs are underwhelming to say the least. For me wingbacks in a back 5 have always been critical.

Unlike Sincher, I think Albertini would be a key player for us here. I expect him to run the game. Both Nedved and Savicevic are capable of scoring/creating too. Combined with Ince bombing forward, I think we are good for a goal or two at least.
Beyond Candela and Benarrivo there's few if any better-suited to that LWB gig than Di Chiara. He played in the exact same role in a brilliant Parma team:

He's a frequent inclusion in all-time Parma XIs (they've got a short history at the top end of the game but they've had some brilliant players):

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ortbloggers.it/all-time-xi-parma/&prev=search

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/14-parma/213235-all-time-parma-xi.html

Alberto DI CHIARA 1991-96
Became the first Parma player to be capped by Italy when he featured against Portugal in 1992. Di Chiara’s left foot was so often a joy to watch. Only played seven times for the Azzurri but would have added to that tally had Paolo Maldini not been in front of him. Added guile and pace to the Parma attack before retiring in 1996. Previously played for Roma, Fiorentina and Lecce.
He achieved consistently excellent ratings in the sports media for Parma, generally being one of Parma's highest-ranked players:

An example of his quality on the ball, with great work in the build up to a goal from 1:45, and then a nice finish himself from 2:05:

He's both a very good player and a perfect fit. Far better suited for the task at hand here than either of your CBs trying to deal with our attacking trio- the weakest area of your otherwise excellent team.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Despite the arrows Saviceivc looks out of position. He does have the workrate to be a wide player. You'd need a lot of support from Negro to man that wing. Have no prblems with Albertini. Not exactly Pirlo, but with support from Schwarz and Ince he can run the game here.

crappycraperson

Scout
Despite the arrows Saviceivc looks out of position. He does have the workrate to be a wide player. You'd need a lot of support from Negro to man that wing. Have no prblems with Albertini. Not exactly Pirlo, but with support from Schwarz and Ince he can run the game here.
Savicevic is absolutely fine as RAM. It's his best position IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
Оdd that. It's Savicevic's best position and where he played most at Milan at the time.

Perhaps a more attacking full back than Negro would be better critique, rather than Savicevic's role IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
On the game. Two very strong teams. Moby/Pat have done real good job of building their side around their attacking trio, but on the other hand Nedved/Vieri, Savicevic have it all and probably equals it out in terms of quality, especially with Albertini spraying passes from deep.

Moby/Pat have better defensive unit, but I like crappy/prath midfield - perfect stage for Albertini to shine.

sincher

Jeez do you boys ever overrate Albertini.

idmanager

Went with the purple folks even though they lack 1 midfielder to be more balanced.

They do have the better defense to deal with the opposition attack.

Both amazing attacks though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
In the context of the midfielders available in this draft he's one of the better ones. Obviously at an all time level he's not that great.

antohan

Think you meant doesn't.

Am I the only one thinking Ince wasn't all that at Inter?

Enigma_87

You know who
It was mostly as a right sided SS to Massaro or more centrally behind Massaro and Melli iirc. I recall him more on left flank where he cuts in and cross with right foot.
You have to bear in mind Prath/Crappy are playing 4-3-3 not 4-4-2 and that's Saviceivic's sweet spot right there. He doesn't have to have the work rate to put a shift in like when playing in a 4-4-2.

Blame the research.
:lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
In an all time draft he'd probably never be picked. In this one tho there aren't that many quality playmakers, especially restricted by a timeline.

antohan

Went with the purple folks even though they lack 1 midfielder to be more balanced.

They do have the better defense to deal with the opposition attack.

Both amazing attacks though.
That's Fusi at the base when required.

crappycraperson

Scout
On the game. Two very strong teams. Moby/Pat have done real good job of building their side around their attacking trio, but on the other hand Nedved/Vieri, Savicevic have it all and probably equals it out in terms of quality, especially with Albertini spraying passes from deep.

Moby/Pat have better defensive unit, but I like crappy/prath midfield - perfect stage for Albertini to shine.
This is pretty much how I feel about the game as well. I think his midfield duo up against the 433 set up which includes someone like Nedved in front 3 would result in very little ball retention even for a typical CA set up. It's fair that people think our central defensive area may be lacking a bit against his central attack but it is not as if their side will have majority of the ball, setting up attack over attack against our defence. On the other hand their wing backs are escaping similar scrutiny against our 2 wide players, both match winners in their own right.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Two great attacking trios here. I like the Nedved-Savicevic flanks. And everyone is going to love the Batigol-Chiesa-Madcini trio.
Leaning towards the 3412 though as I think it matches up better against this style of 433 since it leaves Amoruso-Iuliano against Bati and Chiesa.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
2 lovely teams.

That said, Fiorentina is more exciting offensively.

Battistuta and Chiesa would work very well

Pat_Mustard

Great game @Moby @Pat_Mustard . Was a tough matchup and great team you have. Cheerio
Cheers mate and well played! It was a rough draw for both of us and I don't think either team deserved to go out in the first round. Bonus points for picking Fortunato - if ever a player deserved to feature in a draft it's him in this one. I still remember watching him play. Such a sad story :(