Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - Tuppet vs Gio/Theon

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Another World Cup winner with 35 caps for Brazil.

Of course he's no 23 year old Damiano Tommasi, mind.
Opinions... but again you are using team achievements not individual ones and Mazinho was hardly one of Brazil's big players. I also like the balance of the Teewats midfield better. Your lot is too defensive.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Also saying Gullit was not at his best in 90s is just not correct. His Sampdoria (93-94) season was his highest performing Serie A season by any metric. He played the most games in any one season (31), He scored the most goals of any one season (15) and he dragged his team to its last big title of Coppa Italia. Also there was only one season in 80s (1987-88) when he scored more goals in Serie A (9) than his most seasons in 90s, when he scored 7 goals in each season from 1990 to 93, 15 goals in 93-94 & 12 goals in 94-95. His goal scoring peak in serie A was undoubtedly in the 90s.

Here are the full records - http://www.worldfootball.net/player_summary/ruud-gullit/ita-serie-a/2/
Yeah I'd agree with that. I think the off-peak applies more to Brehme, Tommasi.

sincher

Tommasi was well established and an international in the 90s. He was doing the same job for Roma in 98/99 as he was in the next decade.

Tuppet

Wing play should not be underestimated in this particular game, with team G/T lacking attacking width compared to mine. Brehme is on another level to either of G/T's fullbacks when it comes to attacking. But the only truly wide attacking player is Hassler, here's one of his many great goals -

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Opinions... but again you are using team achievements not individual ones and Mazinho was hardly one of Brazil's big players. I also like the balance of the Teewats midfield better. Your lot is too defensive.
It was more just a tounge in cheek response, but any player who has won the World Cup and amassed 35 caps for Brazil is competent and deserves some level of respect. It's also just a way to highlight the massive disparity in the way you seem to be rating our players compared to Tuppet's.

Deschamps is possibly the most decorated midfielder in the entire draft, yet you've written him off compared to two midfielders who aren't in the same league across this era.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Tommasi was well established and an international in the 90s. He was doing the same job for Roma in 98/99 as he was in the next decade.
He played in two friendlies in 1998 and didn't play again until 2001, which is when he became established in the International side.

That's also when the Roma team peaked as I mentioned earlier. Go figure.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/tommasi-intl.html

Tuppet

Yeah the whole Tomassi thing is getting a bit exaggerated, its not like his peak season was miles off, it was one season out of the draft timeline. As I mentioned before he is not one of my star player, but he was doing the solid job throughout his career. And he is facing Giannini who played almost all of his international careere in 80s and his peak was also in 80s.

sincher

It was more just a tounge in cheek response, but any player who has won the World Cup and amassed 35 caps for Brazil is competent and deserves some level of respect. It's also just a way to highlight the massive disparity in the way you seem to be rating our players compared to Tuppet's.

Deschamps is possibly the most decorated midfielder in the entire draft, yet you've written him off compared to two midfielders who aren't in the same league across this era.
This is based on watching players... and not written him off anyway, it's just a bit dull, like us when we picked Carrick and Hargreaves. You could at least have used Diddy for what he does best and had a wide attacking player instead of Mazinho... oh well :)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah the whole Tomassi thing is getting a bit exaggerated, its not like his peak season was miles off, it was one season out of the draft timeline. As I mentioned before he is not one of my star player, but he was doing the solid job throughout his career. And he is facing Giannini who played almost all of his international careere in 80s and his peak was also in 80s.
Come on, have a read back in the thread and see what was exaggerated.

Was it Tomassi not being at his peak (which is true, and was said as a minor point) or was the exaggeration around Deschamps and Mazinho. The Tomassi discussion is indeed getting dragged out but it's only due to the bizzare defences being thrown around.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Brehme is on another level to either of G/T's fullbacks when it comes to attacking.
Brehme is indeed an excellent attacker, but as pointed out before it's another instance where you're playing someone who doesn't quite fit the theme or peak in the decade. He has just 23 games in Serie A for 90/91 and his 91/92 season was largely disappointing (as it was for the majority of that Inter side).

sincher

Jeez you have got a right monk on about the phrase 'Deschamps and Mazinho is a bit underwhelming' even though it obviously is, they are both highly defensive, for one thing, and you already have Sousa as well... you have three defensive midfielders and not enough on the flanks. The 'decoration' of the players isn't going to mean they can create anything... who plays with three defensive central midfielders? Moyes at West Ham maybe? :)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Jeez you have got a right monk on about the phrase 'Deschamps and Mazinho is a bit underwhelming' even though it obviously is, they are both highly defensive, for one thing, and you already have Sousa as well... you have three defensive midfielders and not enough on the flanks. The 'decoration' of the players isn't going to mean they can create anything... who plays with three defensive central midfielders? Moyes at West Ham maybe? :)
I wouldn't call Sousa a defensive player, he was a deep-lying playmaker really which is one of the reasons his partnership with Deschamps worked so well (watter carrier vs ball player). That's not to say he was a Pirlo mind, you're quite right that he wasn't a pure playmaker but he wasn't miles away. Technically he was excellent and he would be a key cog in any sides build-up.

In terms of system that's mid-00s Milan side isn't far off what we've gone for here and it was also the way that Juventus set up, with Conte no less defensive than Mazinho here. That worked for Juventus as they won Serie A and the Champions League.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Deschamps does get under rated around here, again like Costacourta in the context of this draft he is one of the best midfielders available .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Only Serie A’s dominant side from 94-98. That Juventus had a very similar set up and conquered everything in front of them.

After all, this is 1990s Serie A. Defence is king and 433s and 4231s can vaffanculo.

Tuppet

Brehme is indeed an excellent attacker, but as pointed out before it's another instance where you're playing someone who doesn't quite fit the theme or peak in the decade. He has just 23 games in Serie A for 90/91 and his 91/92 season was largely disappointing (as it was for the majority of that Inter side).
His peak notwithstanding which came a season before (When he finished 3rd in Ballon D'or), he is still the best fullback on the park. His 90/91 season was very good, where Inter squad finished second level with Milan and won the UEFA cup. And his 91/92 season was not bad either, he is still one of the two best wide players on the pitch along with Hassler.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
His peak notwithstanding which came a season before, he is still the best fullback on the park. His 90/91 season was very good, where Inter squad finished second level with Milan and won the UEFA cup. And his 91/92 season was not bad either, he is still one of the two best wide players on the pitchalong with Hassler.
His club peak would surely be 88/89, though I agree there's not much in it.

And yes I agree he was very good in 90/91 - the problem is that was only 23 games though. You need 40 games to even be eligible for this draft, so it flies in the face of any weighting given to consistency over the era. The 91/92 season is well established as one of Brehme's weaker seasons in his career, hence the exit for Zaragoza.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Two cracking teams, but after looking at formations and discussion I will call it as I see it. That defence from Gio/Theon is hard to go through, especially with the midfield cover and he has just enough quality to nick it on the counter imho.

But, fine margins between two sides and really tough to vote.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

This draft has had a distinct lack of Gazzetta.

GEORGE WEAH
  • 1995 Ballon D’Or Winner
  • 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year
  • 1996 FIFA World Player of the Year runner-up
Franco Baresi said:
Weah surprised everyone, including myself. He was unknown at international level when he came to Milan and wasn’t that young either. Yet after a few training sessions we realised he was outstanding. He was a great forward who had everything. Quick, unpredictable, great technique.
Thierry Henry said:
In the history of the game, I have never seen power and speed like George Weah.
Arsene Wenger said:
Weah amazed me with his talent.
It’s 2008, and George Weah is walking out onto the pitch in the SKD Stadium in Monrovia, Liberia’s national football stadium. The crowd, 30,000 people packed in behind metal fences, are screaming his name: “Weah, Weah, Weah.” Such is their frenzied pride, it is as if they are chanting the name of the country itself. Such is Weah’s effect on Liberians, they might as well be.

Weah had retired five years earlier, but he would forever be Liberia’s sporting deity. Born and raised in the Clara Town slum on the edge of the capital, children today still gather to play on the same muddy pitch Weah graced in the mid-1970s. The hours and days spent in bare feet and with ball offer the perfect escape from the hardship of everyday life.

how important Weah is to Liberia and its capital. This is a city perched on the west coast of Africa with only a small strip of beach separating the Atlantic Ocean from the ramshackle houses of Bushrod Island. The presence of United Nations Drive, running like a vein through the centre of Clara Town, gives an indication of just how desperate the situation has been, and still is. Monrovia is the world’s wettest capital city, the rain bringing waves of mosquitoes to an area still getting over the Ebola crisis. Forty-one per cent of in-patient deaths of children under five are as a result of malaria. Liberia might mean ‘land of the free’ in Latin, but precious few get the opportunity to work their way out of poverty.

Yet in Weah, this ramshackle country has a hero. There have been far more accomplished winners of the World Player of the Year award, but there can never be any more important or inspiring victor. Weah was the first African to win any individual international award, voted African Player of the Year on three occasions, and the continent’s Player of the Century in 1999. This is Africa’s greatest footballer of all time.

For Weah to achieved that feat having been born and raised in Liberia is astonishing. This is a country where over three-quarters of the population live below the poverty line, where 1% have access to electricity and 80% are unemployed. In a United Nations list of countries ranked by their GDP per capita, Liberia ranks 189th out of 194. And there he sits, King George, sandwiched between Hristo Stoichkov and Matthias Sammer for the Ballon D’Or and between Romario and Ronaldo for the World Player of the Year.

Starting his career in Monrovia at Mighty Barrolle and the wonderfully named Invincible Eleven, Weah moved to Tonnerre Yaoundé in Cameroon at the age of 21. It was not until he had almost turned 22 that Arsene Wenger brought him to Europe and Monaco. The manager was shocked by the quality of his new recruit.

“Weah amazed me with his talent,” Wenger said. “For me it was like a child discovering a chocolate bunny in his garden at Easter. I have never seen any player explode on to the scene like he did.”

Having scored 66 times in four seasons at Monaco, Weah moved to Paris St Germain. It was at the Parc des Princes that the striker starting truly making waves, leading PSG to a league title, three domestic cups and the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners’ Cup. He also top scored in the 1994/95 Champions League, and scored 16 goals in 25 European matches for the club.

Shortly after moving to Milan – it is hard to believe now that he was almost 29 at the time – Weah was named the world’s best player. In an act of typical humility, he dedicated his award to Wenger: “Arsene Wenger made me not just the player I am today, but also the man I am.”

Not leaving Milan until he was 33, Weah astonished the Italian public with his speed and skill. He was a very modern striker, comfortable both in the air and dribbling with ball at feet, his pace allowing him to create his own chances with a burst of speed and drop of the shoulder. His famous goals against Verona and Bayern Munich showed off every one of his attributes in excelsis.

“In the history of the game, I have never seen power and speed like George Weah,” says Thierry Henry. This was a natural wonder, honed through hard work and propelled by a drive to make the most of an opportunity few in his homeland would be afforded.Weah scored 58 goals in his 147 games for the Rossoneri, winning two Scudetti. Just as at Monaco and PSG, he shocked both teammates and opposition with his quality.

“Weah surprised everyone, including myself,” says Franco Baresi. “He was unknown at international level when he came to Milan and wasn’t that young either. Yet after a few training sessions we realised he was outstanding. He was a great forward who had everything. Quick, unpredictable, great technique.” Baresi picked Weah in his all-time XI of Milan teammates, playing him alongside Marco van Basten up front.

Whatever Weah’s on-field impact, it was forever destined to be dwarfed by his effect off the field. Between 1989 and 2003, a period spanning all but three years of Weah’s career, Liberia experienced two bloody civil wars. A country was torn apart, 250,000 people killed and an economy and infrastructure destroyed, including 95% of all healthcare facilities. Already stricken with poverty, Liberia had been trodden further into the dirt.

Weah realised his responsibility, appreciated his place in time and the importance of the country’s national team. As well as the star player, he was also part-time coach and often paid out of his own pocket to fund the team’s travel and accommodation for away matches.

“We have a responsibility to make the national team represent the country and portray a positive image,” Weah said. “Everyone has their destiny, but you have to make use of the opportunities. It makes me happy. I love the game. I love scoring goals. But I have always taken it seriously. It is not what the game gives you, it is what you give it.”

If that sounds like an over-estimation of football’s power for change, Idriss Kaba (general secretary of the Liberian FA), explains the real impact of Weah’s performances: “When his matches were on, the soldiers used to come past their checkpoint, lay their arms down and watch the game with us. Then they would go back, take their guns and start shooting. During a match you would not hear the sound of guns. You would not know who was a rebel and who was not a rebel. All of us were Liberian at the same time.”

Weah came within a whisker of achieving the impossible, Liberia missing out on a place at the 2002 World Cup after finishing one point behind group winners – and therefore qualifiers – Nigeria. At the age of 35, he had given it all for his country. In return, a country bowed at the feet of King George.

Even before his retirement, Weah understood the difference he could make, and the inspiration he could be. He set up Junior Professionals, a football team in Monrovia which rewarded children with competitive football for staying in school, and was involved in multiple initiatives to fight racism within the game. He was also named as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, and awarded the prestigious Arthur Ashe award for courage for his humanitarian work in his home country. In 2014, with Liberia uneducated on, but badly affected by, the Ebola crisis, he recorded a song to raise awareness, credited with saving hundreds of lives.

Now a senator and leader of Liberia’s opposition party the Congress for Democratic Change, Weah is clear on his reasons for entering politics.

“Whatever you do in life, you have to do it with commitment and perseverance,” he says. “I am committed to helping my people and my country, just as much as I was committed to helping my team when I was a player. Though through war we were devastated, war also helped me to grow in my life. I want to make change in my country because I lived a life that no child should live.”

George Weah’s career should never have been possible. Starting out in a Clara Town slum and playing in bare feet with his friends – stories like these are supposed to be the stuff of daydreams and fiction. But it did happen. A poor boy from a poor family really did become the best player in the world. On the way he inspired a nation, and temporarily halted a civil war.

Weah’s experiences gave Liberians a chance to dream, when daily life was doing little else to console them. His achievements gave a generation of African footballers an example to follow. Still revered as the continent’s greatest football export, he has a simpler explanation for his popularity in Monrovia, Buchanan and beyond. “Once you take care of people,” Weah said. “People respect you.”

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Aye, for a Ballon d’Or and World Player of the Year winner Weah should be getting some more appreciation.

In his pomp he was a ridiculous player - standing 6 ft 1 and built like a brick shit house, yet lightening fast and extremely technical to boot.

The perfect counter attacking player. Mourinho would have loved him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I've opened Pandora's box with those ratings :lol:

Daemon

Very even game this, but I am surprised Berti is being questioned. From my memory he was one of the best serie A midfielder. Very versatile & a proper work horse who can chip in with goals and played well in 94 World cup so must be in his peak around that time.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Very even game this, but I am surprised Berti is being questioned. From my memory he was one of the best serie A midfielder. Very versatile & a proper work horse who can chip in with goals and played well in 94 World cup so must be in his peak around that time.
Aye, Berti was actually fairly high on our list of midfield options, so there’s been no real criticism of him from us - he was a solid campaigner.

The only point I’ll make on Berti is that there’s a clear gap in class / credentials when compared with the Juve Sousa / Deschamps axis. In the context of what he’s up against Berti can be questioned imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I know Mazinho has been questioned, and in fairness he's probably the third best of our three central midfielders because the other two are the best central midfield partnership of the decade. Even then that makes him the third best central midfielder on the park, especially based on 1990/91 when he was ranked the second best central midfielder in the league. Here are a couple of snippets of him bossing Maradona's Napoli in September 1990:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Midfield creativity has been questioned as well. But the real strength of that great mid-90s Juve side was the suffocating midfield which swallowed up the opposition then knifed through them on the counter, with the sheer class of Paulo Sousa capable of playing outside-of-the-boot balls down the line like this:

Can see the same happening here with Sosa getting in behind the attack-minded Petrescu and bursting clear. Paulo Sousa was the Serie A Player of the Year in 1995 - Guerin D'Oro - for a reason and both Sosa and Weah would love receiving that kind of space-creating service.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Credit to @Enigma_87 and @Joga Bonito for this one.

Clearest route to goal on the park
IMO, given his superb record at Inter and his specific set of strengths that are precisely what an attack-minded Petrescu and a relatively sluggish centre-half pairing (a still classy but still 34-year-old Blanc next to Apollini) do not want.

Rubén Sosa – Uruguay’s Little Prince, a Poet of the Goal

How do you describe the greatest moment in a professional footballer’s career? Scoring the winning goal against a European giant in one of the most elite cup competitions at the mere age of 20? Being crowned the kings of Europe almost a decade later with another European powerhouse? Winning another top European league in another two years? Or winning two Copa titles for your country? None of these probably apply to you if you are Rubén Sosa, because you would rather spend time with youngsters teaching them the tricks of your trade.

Rubén Sosa Arzaiz was born on April 25, 1966 in Piedras Blancas, a suburb in Montevideo. He was born to play football, and was a class apart from a very tender age. So, even though he started working at a poultry to support his family—he had 10 siblings , the perfect number for organizing a football match—he went on to become a part of one of the best quarries in Uruguay and South America, the Danubio, when he was only 15. He recalls his foundation days with a great deal of gratitude: “The Danube provides everyone with an excellent training facility. It takes great care of youngsters who are raring to go. In fact, even if you’re old, you do have conditions to make you feel like a debutant.”

Sosa was drafted into the national side quite early in his career. It was on his national duty against Argentina that Avelino Chaves, then a technical secretary team member of Real Zaragoza, spotted the canny left footed youngster and wasted no time in signing him in 1984. In Sosa’s own words: “I was about to leave for England that week when Zaragoza approached me. I did not hesitate. I went there on a Sunday and Monday I signed. I found some great people, a leadership that protected me because they knew I was still a child. Avelino Chaves was like my dad in Zaragoza, he talked to me, soothed me, and encouraged me. I would like to thank all members of staff, especially Pedro Herrera, I was ‘adopted’ as his younger brother, and Cedrún, with whom I still have some contact. “(1)

The move paid off almost immediately as he clinched the Copa del Rey in 1986, scoring in the final against FC Barcelona at Vicente Calderon. It was 35 minutes when the referee awarded a free kick about 25 meters away from the goal for a foul on “The Little Prince” (Sosa was called so in Uruguay as Enzo Francéscoli was referred to as “The Prince”). As Sosa put it: “I did not think that the defender hit me to break my leg. I was lucky because the ball hit the wall, I think (it was) Pichi Alonso and misled the goalkeeper. It was great, and time to start the party. We were the Cup Champions!!!” This was truly a memorable event for the club, which had last tasted success in 1966 (when Sosa was barely a month old)!

His achievements did not go unnoticed as the pocket striker, nicknamed Sosita, “El Principito” or Peter (of Peter Pan fame) for his small stature (a skinny lad with a height of 1.72 m) was selected to the national side for the Copa 1987. This was no mean feat as Uruguay was a very strong side then. Being the defending champions, Uruguay entered the competition at the semifinal stage. Sosa started the match—and the subsequent final—and made his presence felt in a title winning campaign. His name started doing rounds with another legend of that era, Enzo Francéscoli.

Enzo Francescoli and Rubén Sosa together in the Uruguay team photo of 1987 Copa America
With his short stature, tapered legs and stocky, overstuffed torso, Sosa looked like anyone but an athlete. That, as we all know, was an illusion—especially for the defenders who dared to ignore him due to his appearance. He was, in fact, one of the swiftest sprinters with sudden outbursts of speed that left his markers dumbfounded. How such a stiff and top-heavy person could transform into such an act of balanced grace still remains a mystery. He was forever ready to skim over a cushion of air. Sosa is best remembered for his image of speeding down the left wing, with his trunk slightly forward, his head erect, like a trotter racing down the homestretch.

Sosa was more than a prolific striker—he was a true showman. He had earned nicknames like “The Poet of the Goal” and “Speedy Gonzalez” for his craftsmanship. He would never shy away from deft-flicks, a bullet header, or a 30-metre toe-poker. He is best-remembered for his spectacular efforts and thunderous free kicks. Most of his goals came from moves beginning at midfield or just inside the half-line. He scarcely has an easy goal to his name. He was not a typical no. 9 or goal poacher who would be playing on the shoulder of the last defender. Rather, he was a complete forward who could shoot or volley from a distance, dribble or provide assists for others, and move deeper and create space for others to exploit. It is no coincidence that he was one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe, much like today’s Luis Suárez.

On a personal front, Sosa had a very satisfying Copa 1989. He finished with four goals, and won the Silver Boot. Uruguay started the final match against Brazil—tied on points as well as on goal difference and goals scored—aiming to clinch a third consecutive Copa title. However, a certain Romário had other plans, as Brazil won the match 1-0 through his winning goal and lifted the trophy after a gap of 40 years. Sosa’s mesmerizing display, though, did not go unnoticed as the man dwarfed stalwarts like Diego Maradona, Romário, Bebeto (Golden Boot winner) and Francéscoli to be awarded the Best Player of the Tournament.

Sosa’s mesmerizing display, though, did not go unnoticed as the man dwarfed stalwarts like Diego Maradona, Gabriel Batistuta, Romário, Bebeto (Golden Boot winner) and Francéscoli to be awarded the Best Player of the Tournament.

Comparison with a certain Maradona was inevitable in that era. True, Sosa did not have the three-dimensional genius and creativity of Maradona. However, he made up for that with his eagerness to create openings with the ball at his feet. He did demonstrate two very different sets of skills en route to demolishing Argentina 2-0 in the final round. In the 38th minute, Sosa benefited from an error from an Argentine defender. He intercepted a back pass intended for the onrushing goalkeeper Nery Pumpido in the penalty area. Sosa, with the ball in his left foot, rounded Pumpido with ease and slotted the ball in an empty net with his right. But, if the first goal was all about awareness and lazy elegance, his second in the 81st minute was about raw pace, body strength, and composure. Sosa got the ball near touchline in his own half, and everyone who thought that he was too far from the goalpost was about to be proved wrong. “Speedy Gonzalez” ran with the ball hogging the touchline— effortlessly beating his marker in speed. Midway in the “La Albiceleste” half, he started coming inside and shrugged off the shoulder charge from his second marker. By this time, he was inside the penalty area and Pumpido had narrowed down the angle. However, Sosa flicked the ball with his left toe inside the far post with amazing composure while still running in full throttle. The goal went unnoticed in most part of the world due to the lack of live coverage at that time, but the Latin American media went ga ga over it. It was, indeed a great goal, as proven by the fact that it was referred to and compared with Gareth Bale’s wonder solo effort last year against Barcelona.

Sosa went to the World Cup 1990, his only ever World Cup, with high hopes. Unfortunately, the tournament was a disappointing one for him. He failed to score a goal, got himself booked, missed a penalty against Spain in the group stages and by the time the knock outs came, “El Principito” found himself relegated to the reserve bench. Uruguay did not fare well either and exited from the round of 16.

By this time Sosa had moved on to Italy, first to Lazio—where he became the top scorer for them in 1991-92 — and then to Inter. Sosa made a name for himself in Serie A amongst stars like Diego Maradona, Marco van Basten, and Lothar Matthäus. He reached the pinnacle of his club career at Inter as he led the goal charts for the club in two consecutive seasons, rounding it off with a UEFA Cup in 1994. However, for some strange reason, he was overlooked for the Copa campaigns during this period. The results were as expected—Uruguay crashed out of the group stages in 1991 and barely managed to scrape through to the quarter finals in 1993.

Sosa made a name for himself in Serie A amongst stars like Diego Maradona, Marco van Basten, and Lothar Matthäus. He reached the pinnacle of his club career at Inter as he led the goal charts for the club in two consecutive seasons, rounding it off with a UEFA Cup in 1994.

Naturally, Sosa was called back for the 1995 Copa. But injury and loss of form has diminished his utility by this time. He was a bits-and-pieces player and could not manage a full 90 minutes in any of the games he featured in. He had lost his regular number 11 shirt and was donning a more squad player’s number 20 jersey. In fact, he was left out entirely of the crucial semifinal and final matches. But Francéscoli’s brilliance and a golden ball-winning performance ensured Sosa got his second Copa winner’s medal.

Sosa never played for the national team after 1995. In Europe too his time was up after a couple of injury-laden seasons with Borussia Dortmund. The club won the Bundesliga during this time, and Sosa received another silverware in his third European country. Sosa was, however, far from done. He tied his shoelaces to fulfill his dreams and joined his boyhood favorite club, Nacional. At Nacional, Sosa won the Uruguayan League in 1998, 2000, and 2001—himself being the top scorer of the Uruguay Championship in 1998 and the Copa Libertadores in 1999—becoming a fan favourite.

Sosa : The favorite son of Nacional
Life was not always a hunky dory affair for the “Little Prince” as the temptation of a fat paycheck brought him to play for Shanghai Shenhua in the Chinese League in 2002. Everything looked perfect as Shanghai won the Chinese Jia-A League title in 2003, but ten years later, the club was stripped of the title for match fixing.

Sosa did not stay long in China. He returned to Nacional in 2004 as an assistant coach, and immediately helped the team win the league title in 2005. He is still an assistant coach in the youth club, where he gives a master class in goal scoring to the young forwards. Besides, he just set up his own football school three years ago. “It’s called ‘Joy, joy’, is in Carrasco (a neighborhood in the east of Montevideo) and the name is what has always defined me. Children come from many parts of Montevideo and I teach them to play football. This is what fills my life, always linked to football.”

Seems like Sosa has found his peace, and it lies in spending time with kids. He does not want to graduate to a head-coaching job because, as he freely admitted, he is too impetuous for the role. He is still a popular figure and can be found in the streets of Uruguay, stopping by to sign autographs and talking to people about football. After all, he will always be remembered as their “Little Prince”.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Looks like this one is over which I can't quite believe.

In terms of Serie A peaks it's not even particularly close.
  • We have the far better goalkeeper (a multiple IFFHS World Goalkeeper of the Year vs a 36 year old Michael Konsel)
  • Two centre backs in Baresi and Cravero who were the orchestrators of the two defences that conceded the least goals in the entirety of 90s Serie A
  • Deschamps and Sousa replicating a domestic and European title winning midfield partnership, which led to Sousa winning Serie A Player of the Year
  • An attack which boasts the best goalscorer in the game (Ruben Sosa) and the only Ballon d'Or winner on the park (AC Milan legend and FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah)
Expected to lose some of the scan votes but surprised at some of the managers have voted the way they have given the theme of the draft.

Any explanation for the votes @Edgar Allan Pillow @idmanager @Oaencha @Lord SInister

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Different opinions and all that, but it seems to me that this no flashy but hard-working, efficient, substance over style midfield of Deschamps, Sousa and Mazinho doesn't get near enough credit.

idmanager

To be honest I don't have anything genius to add mate.
Its obviously a close match but what won Tuppet my vote was his players were well suited to the formation he employed although I don't really rate Voller too highly in the 90's.
In fact I would have even considered starting Papin ahead who had 1 pretty good 20 goal season with Milan

With your setup, I see attempts to provide width from the fullbacks causing more harm than good and I think Tuppet did well to read your formation.
From the defensive end while it does look tight in the midfield, I can't see too much penetration throughout the game from the middle as well.

Tomassi was there to be taken but I think you needed someone much better in the number 10 role considering that is where the Diamond's creativity lies in.
By much better, I mean a round 2 or round 3 pick quality.
It usually should be one of the first few picks around which the diamond is built and am not a huge admirer of Giannini based on what little I have watched.

It should be a close contest, but I think Tuppet edges this one for me.
I am sure I maybe wrong at some places like Giannini for example whom I have not watched a hell lot of. FWIW, I did watch more than half of the video you shared yesterday and was pretty impressed with how well he is adored.

One last thing would be Tuppet got super lucky with Scifo and Apolloni in round 8 and 9. That simply raises the overall quality by a few notches.
I am pretty sure I and most others would have lost to his team in R1.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It was mostly a scan vote by me as I was driving yesterday.

Deschamps became the highest rated player after Sousa left and he was moved to the deepest middle role iirc. Also Sosa was better off without a #10 in a counter game was my perception. A very individualistic player. I don't think this is his peak role, esp lest of a diamond. Too much is expected out of Giannini.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Deschamps became the highest rated player after Sousa left and he was moved to the deepest middle role iirc. Also Sosa was better off without a #10 in a counter game was my perception. A very individualistic player. I don't think this is his peak role, esp lest of a diamond.
Nah Deschamps and Sousa were both deep in that system, it was just that Sousa was more of a playmaker and Deschamps the water carrier.

You're absolutely spot on about Sosa being a counter attacking player, that's why we picked him. We maybe should have made it clearer, but if you look at the last two bullet points in the OP the tactic is very much to soak and then hit the opposition on the break:

1. Because that fits Sosa and the way Inter Milan played during the era (as @oneniltothearsenal pointed out)
2. That's the exact role that Weah played when he was the Ballon d'Or and World Player of the Year for Milan.

Weah was a classic counter attacking player, probably the very best during the entire era.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Gio/Theon have the much superior Serie A players imo, in terms of Serie A 90s peak Baresi and Weah are streets ahead of their counterparts and a arguably a few others too. A lot of Tuppet’s players either played their best football outside the timeframe or in a different league. But I don’t agree about the earlier assessment of Gullit, although not his absolute peak in the 90s he was still a fantastic player at that time.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
To be honest I don't have anything genius to add mate.

Its obviously a close match but what won Tuppet my vote was his players were well suited to the formation he employed although I don't really rate Gullit and Voller too highly in the 90's. In fact I would have even considered starting Papin ahead who had 1 pretty good 20 goal season with Milan.

One last thing would be Tuppet got super lucky with Scifo and Apolloni in round 8 and 9. That simply raises the overall quality by a few notches.
I am pretty sure I and most others would have lost to his team in R1.
Cheers for the post man, will respond to the rest of it after lunch (at work at the mo) but will respond to these two points quickly.

In terms of Papin I probably also would have started him over Voller. He was still a great player and brought more than goals to the team, but given the supporting cast (who provide a lot of that already) and the calibre of defence I think you want more goals in the team than Voller's 18 in 60.

Which leads me on to the defence, as you mention Apolloni as a great pick (which he was) but the credentials of Cravero bare mentioning again as they really are exceptional. As the fulcrum of that Torino defence (along with his teammate here in Bruno) he conceded just 20 goals which is the second lowest tally of the entire decade. And in the year prior to that, Cravero was rated as the third best player in the entire league which is outstanding for a Torino centre back.

Serie A 1990/91: highest rated players

In terms of Serie A peaks it doesn't get much better.

Thisistheone

This draft has had a distinct lack of Gazzetta.

GEORGE WEAH
  • 1995 Ballon D’Or Winner
  • 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year
  • 1996 FIFA World Player of the Year runner-up

.”[/spoiler]
:drool:

Massive Weah fan. He was incredible back then.

idmanager

Which leads me on to the defence, as you mention Apolloni as a great pick (which he was) but the credentials of Cravero bare mentioning again as they really are exceptional.
Wondering how well do people rate the Baresi and Cravero partnership considering both were sweepers.
Its Baresi of course who should be able to adapt I guess but not ideal.

Cheers for the post man, will respond to the rest of it after lunch
Sure mate. Still consider it a close context and open to change my vote if something convinces me.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:drool:

Massive Weah fan. He was incredible back then.
:lol: He was a ridiculous player, said it before but he’s a Mourinho player down to a tee. I can’t think of many better counter attacking strikers in an all time context - let alone 90s Serie A.

Scored some fantastic goals as well. Unstoppable.

Oaencha

Looks like this one is over which I can't quite believe.

In terms of Serie A peaks it's not even particularly close.
  • We have the far better goalkeeper (a multiple IFFHS World Goalkeeper of the Year vs a 36 year old Michael Konsel)
  • Two centre backs in Baresi and Cravero who were the orchestrators of the two defences that conceded the least goals in the entirety of 90s Serie A
  • Deschamps and Sousa replicating a domestic and European title winning midfield partnership, which led to Sousa winning Serie A Player of the Year
  • An attack which boasts the best goalscorer in the game (Ruben Sosa) and the only Ballon d'Or winner on the park (AC Milan legend and FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah)
Expected to lose some of the scan votes but surprised at some of the managers have voted the way they have given the theme of the draft.

Any explanation for the votes @Edgar Allan Pillow @idmanager @Oaencha @Lord SInister
Sorry for the lack of comments so far. Partly down to work and partly down to needing a breather as I feel I should have won my game.

Both of your teams are very good but Tuppet’s left side and the Gullit/Völler partnership was the reason for my vote. Brehme, Berti and Gullit will cause your right side of Bruno, Cravero and Mazinho too many problems.
  • Bruno was a tough fecker but his peak was in the 80s.
  • Mazinho only played in Serie A for two seasons and was good but not amazing. He was better in Brazil and Spain.
  • I liked Cravero as a player but I still don’t rate him highly enough to deal with Tuppet’s left side and attack.
  • Zenga was obviously class but goalkeepers mean feck all in this draft.
  • I really like the Deschamps/Sousa and Sosa/Weah partnerships.
  • Baresi is a GOAT but he has Hassler, Scifo and Völler to deal with, meaning he can’t help with protecting your right side.
  • This one is just a personal bias but I liked De Agostini better as a midfielder when he was at Juventus.
To summarise... It is close and I like your team but your right side isn’t as good as Tuppet’s left.

Thisistheone

:lol: He was a ridiculous player, said it before but he’s a Mourinho player down to a tee. I can’t think of many better counter attacking strikers in an all time context - let alone 90s Serie A.

Scored some fantastic goals as well. Unstoppable.
Yeah. I actually picked Weah in the all time draft, which shows his pedigree. He was a monster.