Sevilla Summer 2019 - 14 outgoing players, 14 incoming

IrishRedDevil

Brilliant rebuild business culminating in a Europa League win, with many players making their European debuts. 21 games unbeaten.

Totally goes against that old myth that signing anymore than 4 players in one transfer window causes team/club imbalance.

https://www.sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/almost-30-changes-summer-signings

There have been a total of 14 new additions to the squad, with 13 signings and the promotion of Alejandro Pozo from the reserve team to the first team, after his profitable year on loan at Granada CF last year. There have been two loan signings: Reguilón and Bono; and ten permanent signings: Dabbur, Diego Carlos, Joan Jordán, Koundé, De Jong, Ocampos, Óliver Torres, Fernando, Rony Lopes and Chicharito. Centre-midfielder Gudelj, who arrived on a free transfer, completes the list.Ocampos, Óliver Torres, Fernando, Rony Lopes and Chicharito. Centre-midfielder Gudelj, who arrived on a free transfer, completes the list.

The amount of exits cannot go unnoticed too, with this needing to happen to allow for the new arrivals to join the team. It was a gradual process that led to a total of nine loan deals, four to LaLiga Santander, two to the Serie A, one to the Premier League and two to Ligue 1. The players that left on loan are: Aleix Vidal, Juan Soriano, Roque Mesa, Corchia, Arana, Kjaer, Amadou, Gnagnon and Sergio Rico. In addition, five players have left the club on permanent deals: Muriel, Wöber, Sarabia, Promes y Ben Yedder.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Pound for pound the best run club in the world

monosierra

That is an astonishing turnover. And Lopetegui only started this season as manager? Do they have some kind of consistent team ethos or system that remains regardless of manager and player?

NYAS

They’ve always been a player-laundering club with Monchi there. Not really buying the praise for them, they’ve been here and done this before too many times; a club in their situation should be adjusting their expectations to take the next step and that doesn’t happen when you’re consistently a temporary parking space for random players and agents.

Ekeke

Yep this is a great example where a big clear out has gone right.

A lot of business in from France, where Lyon and PSG have done great in the champions league. Also some incredible loan work with Regulion at left back and Bounou doing a great job as a backup keeper coming through big in the final stages. Not all of those signings have been great, but enough have gelled with the players they already had to improve from 6th place last season, to 4th and a Europa League win.

Also any poster guilty of saying something like "These days it takes £40-50 million to sign a good player these days" should give themselves a slap. Sevilla signed 3-4 Europa League final starting players for that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They’ve always been a player-laundering club with Monchi there. Not really buying the praise for them, they’ve been here and done this before too many times; a club in their situation should be adjusting their expectations to take the next step and that doesn’t happen when you’re consistently a temporary parking space for random players and agents.
Very few at the club have ‘been there and done that’ given the turnover of playing staff. I’d guess it’s just the owner and some board members plus monchi.

as fornew expectations; they are equivalent to Leicester - no way their business model can compete with Madrid clubs or BarcelonA. They don’t have enough Match going fans. This is the best they can do, and they do it regularly enough.

jesperjaap

Spot on OP. The last four summers, end of window I have always moaned about it, not just the players signed. My main gripe has always been the numbers are too low both in and out. Whenever I mention this or talk about what we need and mention 5/6 signings ond 9/10 outs ALWAYS get absolutely lambasted that its impossible to do that many deals in one window (with us it probably is sadly) and that no chance a team can gel with that much of a turn over of players.

My argument has always been if the current players arent good enough that are sold, they are not gelling anyway so why should a new player (apart from culturally) have more problems gelling? And Sevilla are excellent evidence of this. They have done great work in the transfer market but the main thing watching them is that they are a TEAM, they have gelled. There arent really star players, those that are bar maybe the left back on loan are still Banega and Navas, there older players. And they are hardly the first team to do so much business in one window, Guardiola has often done it, especially first window at a club, there are failures like AC Milan and successes too.

My question is, people saying we cant sign SAncho and other players barely, why not?

Dalot
Mensah
Smalling
JOnes
Rojo

That is the obvious dead wood. Can probably add, should be sold to:

Pereirra
Lingard
Mata

We also have other players you could consider in some what expendible within our squad possibly:

Romero or DeGea
Bailly
Fred

Personally would add Daniel James straight away as dont rate him at all.

Im am not going to put a value on these players or total value of all of them, as that always causes arguments of not getting anywhere near that value blah blah......but that is a fair chunk of money could be bought in selling a fair few of those players. I dont think we can do the five signings we need this window regardless unless doing a couple of real bargain gamble buys.....I do however think if we are ruthless outgoing wise, we can certainly sign three quality players, maybe even four.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
If you guys look through our history in 21st century, it has been like that (more or less) every season. Sure, not everytime does the club turn over 10+ players, but the numbers are usually always above 4-5 signings. And keep in mind that almost every season our biggest stars are being sold, so the club needs to rebuild, as the ambitions are kept intact, or increased. This is an art form that has made Monchi legendary.

el3mel

I'm kinda happy for Lopetegui that he managed to re-discover himself after the disastrous period at Real Madrid. Looks a different person now.

He'sRaldo

If you guys look through our history in 21st century, it has been like that (more or less) every season. Sure, not everytime does the club turn over 10+ players, but the numbers are usually always above 4-5 signings. And keep in mind that almost every season our biggest stars are being sold, so the club needs to rebuild, as the ambitions are kept intact, or increased. This is an art form that has made Monchi legendary.
Is it just the financial and transfer side of things that Monchi is involved in, or is he also very involved in the playing style of your club?

Ekeke

So who are you selling this summer?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm kinda happy for Lopetegui that he managed to re-discover himself after the disastrous period at Real Madrid. Looks a different person now.
Absolutely. He is a very good coach. Probably would have been a good fit at Barca with his style. Real just wasn't made for that.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
So who are you selling this summer?
This was Banega's last dance. He will enjoy his last years in middle east.

Rumours so far: Diego Carlos going away (PL being possible destination so far), Kounde being asked for by Zidane, and it feels like half of Europe are about to compete for Ocampos signature. Regeuillon will go back to Madrid, and is probably sold to highest bidder (not necessarily Sevilla :/ ).
Though, thanks to the new season is soon starting again, who knows - maybe for once we manage to keep most of these players.

@He'sRaldo Haha, he is responsible for making sure that our signings are being well-settled in the city and in the club - and that they have fit the manager's requests:). Everyhting on the pitch is obviously credit to the Manager.

NYAS

Very few at the club have ‘been there and done that’ given the turnover of playing staff. I’d guess it’s just the owner and some board members plus monchi.

as fornew expectations; they are equivalent to Leicester - no way their business model can compete with Madrid clubs or BarcelonA. They don’t have enough Match going fans. This is the best they can do, and they do it regularly enough.
The players should be ecstatic of course. I wasn’t talking about them, I meant the club’s ambitions as a whole.

Disagree this is the best they can do. There’s always the next step. Atletico as an example.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This was Banega's last dance. He will enjoy his last years in middle east.

Rumours so far: Diego Carlos going away (PL being possible destination so far), Kounde being asked for by Zidane, and it feels like half of Europe are about to compete for Ocampos signature. Regeuillon will go back to Madrid, and is probably sold to highest bidder (not necessarily Sevilla :/ ).
Though, thanks to the new season is soon starting again, who knows - maybe for once we manage to keep most of these players.

@He'sRaldo Haha, he is responsible for making sure that our signings are being well-settled in the city and in the club - and that they have fit the manager's requests:). Everyhting on the pitch is obviously credit to the Manager.
I wasn't impressed by him tbh.

Ekeke

The players should be ecstatic of course. I wasn’t talking about them, I meant the club’s ambitions as a whole.

Disagree this is the best they can do. There’s always the next step. Atletico as an example.
Atletico have got there by being very pragmatic and playing a particular style. They've still spent a fair bit of money too.

You can name Atletico but other clubs have tried and failed. For example Emery at Valencia kept getting them into the top 4, but they wanted to push on and challenge the big boys. Then they fell dramatically and have struggled to get back to the strength they had before he left.

GazTheLegend

Also any poster guilty of saying something like "These days it takes £40-50 million to sign a good player these days" should give themselves a slap. Sevilla signed 3-4 Europa League final starting players for that.
There's hardly any of those Sevilla players I'd take though.

Individually they're kind of shite. Not sure how they end up being so dangerous but a lot of its down to the frustration their endless diving, fouling and time wasting causes on otherwise better opponents.

For instance:. Jesus Navas and de Jong. are not great players but they seem to work well for Sevilla here. Would you take them at United, even for 5 million?

Ekeke

Individually they're kind of shite. Not sure how they end up being so dangerous but a lot of its down to the frustration their endless diving, fouling and time wasting causes on otherwise better opponents.
They just showed us they are the better team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

For instance:. Jesus Navas and de Jong. are not great players but they seem to work well for Sevilla here. Would you take them at United, even for 5 million?
I'd take Ocampos.

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
Pound for pound the best run club in the world
That honour must go to bohemians and i know 99% on here will never have heard of them but you've just got to trust me on this one

NYAS

Atletico have got there by being very pragmatic and playing a particular style. They've still spent a fair bit of money too.

You can name Atletico but other clubs have tried and failed. For example Emery at Valencia kept getting them into the top 4, but they wanted to push on and challenge the big boys. Then they fell dramatically and have struggled to get back to the strength they had before he left.
So because other clubs have tried and failed that means it will never work? What’s the point then?

There always has to be a next step. Otherwise you’re just a community service organisation.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How was Óliver Torres this season? Very hyped up years ago

::sonny::

Monchi is a top class (in that contest, at his home)

Lopetegui showed masterclasses beating Roma, Wolves, United, Inter

We were unlucky in that game, paying the bad game of bissaka, Williams and Lindelof

In a right environment for him, Lopetegui can do important things

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I find the idea that a club is well run because they have 14 successful ins and outs laughable. A well run club doesn’t get in that position first of all and secondly:, there is a huge amount of luck to any transfer so the majority of them working out is national lottery jackpot territory.

SambaBoy

They were a horrible ugly team to play against. Got a few decent player but don't think they can make the next step without serious investment. Monchi signings manage to keep them in their position. Constantly getting good fees for players and then bringing new successful players into replace them.

Drz

I'd take Ocampos.
I was thinking the same... Remember thinking he is actually quite good back when he was at Marseille.
Was surprised to see him at Sevilla as I didn't particularly follow his career, but glad his hard work is being rewarded.
Thought he'd be older than 26 though...

Ekeke

So because other clubs have tried and failed that means it will never work? What’s the point then?

There always has to be a next step. Otherwise you’re just a community service organisation.
The best step for a club like Sevilla is a secure future.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Quite a few of their transfers didn't work actually...Rony Lopes, Dabbur, Torres, Hernandez. Never even heard of Wober. 70m euros for those guys.

Ultimately Sevilla got the midfield combination right, Fernando-Jordan-Banega all excellent individually and collectively, Ocamps had a stand out season, despite him being pretty average Luuk De Jong stepped up with some big goals in the europa and La Liga and Sevilla always seem to have the knack of finding and developing excellent CBs.

Think Jules Kounde is going to be following likes of Fazio and Lenglet and be sold on for a very hefy profit in a year or two. Great pick up from the French league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Credit to Lopetegui for making it work so well. He's done a great job there this season and i think Sevilla are a good club for him

Kounde and Jordan have been revelations. Now the hard part will be replacing Banega. They missed out on Parejo imho

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree with you but, they did reach the CL quarters a couple of years ago. That’s around about where they should be.

Nick7

They did well to win the EL, but this kind of stuff limits their top level.

Mark Pawelek

I find the idea that a club is well run because they have 14 successful ins and outs laughable. A well run club doesn’t get in that position first of all and secondly:, there is a huge amount of luck to any transfer so the majority of them working out is national lottery jackpot territory.
Not just that.
2018-19 Sánchez-Pizjuán's Attendance Grows 9% On Last Year

Sevilla also have DoF who's been on the job for the last 2 decades (apart from a brief spell at Roma). For so long as United lack a DoF our transfers will be a mess and our squad inadequate at the start of every season.

ti vu

Absolutely. He is a very good coach. Probably would have been a good fit at Barca with his style. Real just wasn't made for that.
Lopetegui did well this season with Sevilla, but let's not forget he also spectacularly at Porto. His time Spain NT also ain't impressive. How he got Real Madrid was so strange in the first place.

Credit where it's due, but let's wait and see how he goes from here with his career before making it sound like he was in position of power and made a wrong career move, when it's luck and some connection getting him Spain NT and Madrid job.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I really like the look of Ocampos, but not necessarily for us to sign. His footwork and skill is great for a guy his size.

For those that have seen him more, what's his best position? Is there any chance that he'd move to an Everton or Wolves level of team this summer? He'd be a great player for a team at that level, possibly even higher. I've not seen enough to figure out exactly how good he is but others might know more.

Last edited: