Television Shōgun (FX Networks series) - premieres February 27, 2024

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Another enjoyable episode. Though at the rate they sacrifice/abandon soldiers they are going to run out :lol:

Spark

Another enjoyable episode. Though at the rate they sacrifice/abandon soldiers they are going to run out :lol:
Yeah they're absolutely riddled with honour.

I don't mind the slightly tacky fight scenes, think they're pretty good. The show is definitely well built, feel like I really need to read the book now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah they're absolutely riddled with honour.

I don't mind the slightly tacky fight scenes, think they're pretty good. The show is definitely well built, feel like I really need to read the book now.
You do!

Word of warning though....it is quite large (1200+ pages), but it is definitely worth it!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Awesome show.

Shame about mercifully brief Sand Snakes level of fight choreography in the latest episode.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
great episode. FX, and especially the actress, doing justice to, Fuji, one of my favorite characters in any book.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Decided to watch the 2nd ep this morning and that Portuguese grey haired fella is feckin close to impossible to understand, might have to turn subtitles on just so I can understand him, sounds like he's constantly got a mouth full of marbles.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That's how you do a "slow" episode. Excellent dialogue, pacing, visuals and music, ending with the explosive obliteration of a dozen or so baddies.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Watched the first episode and decided I've seen enough movies and TV shows about the far East with a white protagonist.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Watched the first episode and decided I've seen enough movies and TV shows about the far East with a white protagonist.
If it makes any difference:

- the characters, and story, are based on real people

- the show took purposeful steps to avoid being “stranger in a strange land” like the original mini series was.

-Blackthorn is one of 3 protagonists in this story, with the other 2 being Japanese.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Latest episode was excellent character/story building. Ending took things up a level.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thought episode five was a bit meh until the final few minutes.

was that shit with the pheasant in the book? All felt a bit silly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thought episode five was a bit meh until the final few minutes.

was that shit with the pheasant in the book? All felt a bit silly.
Haven’t watched the episode yet, but if the scene you are talking about is:

To get him some European food he is craving his staff catch a pheasant and are disgusted as he hangs it by the neck until it is “aged” enough that the body falls off. I think the guy who did it is either killed or offers to be killed.

the yes, it is in the book.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Intense dinner party, saké is no joke. Epic ending. This show is easily the best thing on TV at the moment.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Great episode. Can we just give Moeka Hoshi (Fuji) the Emmy for best supporting actress now?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Latest episode was surprisingly slower than I was expecting after the cannon scene the week before. Some good character building though.

Spark

It's so good. Feudal Japan was fecking ruthless with honour holy shit.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just finally started watching and finished episode one. Pretty good but they speak a lot of non English in other countries.
I’m lost. They speak a lot of foreign languages in foreign countries? Yes, that’s usually how it works.

Spark

Yeah, feudal Japan seems like it was one of the bleakest times and places of all time. Absolutely fascinating.
Must be the cleanest place in the world at that point though. Weird mix of high healthcare (by virtue of keeping shit tidy) and low life expectancy (by virtue of having being at risk of decapitation for the slightest offence - e.g. the bloke in episode 1 who gets in the way of the samurai).

So fascinating.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just wanted to see that 3 episodes in myself so far this show is fkin brilliant. For some reason Asian history never appealed to me that much as a premise and maybe the weaving in of western history makes it more palpable for me in that sense, but I absolutely love it. One of those shows I can honestly not wait to see what happens next.

Withnail

I read the book, and all of Clavell's stuff at least 30 years ago, and watched the original series when it was shown on Sky 1 in the 90s. I'm really enjoying this, it's excellent.

Toranaga is some cnut all the same. Sending Mariko to the pillow house with the Anjin, and her being offered the option "in the dark", was sly enough, although she didn't fall for it. That scene where she's speaking Kiku's words, and the way the sexual tension and jeopardy is ramped up, was very well crafted.

It really paints a picture of a society where you've to guard yourself constantly.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
This is really good so far.

The English guy's fortune is a bit ridiculous and I don't think that the actor is good, but I'm happy that they haven't gone all "white savior" with his character.

Last edited:

didz

I find Yabushige absolutely hilarious and have to keep reminding myself he's the dude who boils people for giggles.