Television Sharp objects | HBO

Roosney

Surprised there's no thread for the series.

A HBO mystery/thriller miniseries about a reporter going back to her hometown for a piece about two kidnapped young girls.

Two episodes in, seems decent enough. Maybe they're overdoing some things a bit but overall can't complain.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's pretty good, yeah. Production values are top notch as you'd expect, as are the performances.

Serious True Detective (season one!) vibes, but it's painfully slow so far, especially episode two. Only eight episodes though so I'll definitely stick with.

Un4givableB

I've download the first 2 episodes but haven't watched it yet, l think l will wait till l have the first 4 episodes, then give it a try.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Amy Adams is absolutely killing it in this. Very well made show too. Have a feeling the mystery would be a retread of similar stories but it still looks worth a watch.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I watched the first two episodes yesterday with the girlfriend and we both really want to watch the next one sharpish. Unfortunately her sister's getting married this week so we'll be fairly busy helping out there.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Anyone else watching this? Gets better by the episode. Seriously creepy episode tonight.
Poison references and Adora insisting on going to the pharmacist alone as well as finding out Camile's little sister was a sickly child, all point towards Adora having something to do with the murder. Also the ghost of Camile's dead sister at the end and Adora peaking through the door, chills.

jungledrums

Anyone else watching this? Gets better by the episode. Seriously creepy episode tonight.
Poison references and Adora insisting on going to the pharmacist alone as well as finding out Camile's little sister was a sickly child, all point towards Adora having something to do with the murder. Also the ghost of Camile's dead sister at the end and Adora peaking through the door, chills.
Yeah I’m only two episodes in but I read the book, both are awesome. I reckon the HBO adaptation is better. Darker, too...

@Roosney I agree re overdoing things ever so slightly. I think it’s more to do with the source material than anything else, though.

Roosney

Haven't seen the 6th episode yet, but I almost feel like giving up with the series. Feels like I'm watching the same episode over and over again; Camille drinks, sees ghosts, fecks Kansas City, is anxious, hates mother, repeat. The story is interesting but is going nowhere.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Brilliant series. Love it. Dunno if the book is as good but acting and directing has absolutely take this story up another notch.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Well, it's more horror than a detective I think, and the repetitiveness just adds to the atmosphere

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I didn’t pick up on this in episode 6 but just watched episode 7 and seems that you’re exactly right. Indication of a good show that the signs have all been pointing that way (I just didn’t pick up on them) and this doesn’t feel like a cheap plot twist as opposed to the natural conclusion based on what we’ve seen so far.

Only part I’m unsure on is whether Adora killed the two girls being investigated now, as the violence of their deaths (teeth pulling etc) doesn’t seem to fit with the posioning which were led to believe has occurred. Also don’t think it fits with the character of Adora, such evident and vivid acts of violence seems out of sorts for a character who appears much more subtle in her cruelty

Anyway I think it’s been fantastic, it was slow at first but that investment in character building and establishing the environment in which these events are transpiring is really starting to pay off. The way they’ve treated memory in this has been one of the best representations I can recall, really captures the subjective element to it and the way in which memories are relived.

Massive Spanner

I didn’t pick up on this in episode 6 but just watched episode 7 and seems that you’re exactly right. Indication of a good show that the signs have all been pointing that way (I just didn’t pick up on them) and this doesn’t feel like a cheap plot twist as opposed to the natural conclusion based on what we’ve seen so far.

Only part I’m unsure on is whether Adora killed the two girls being investigated now, as the violence of their deaths (teeth pulling etc) doesn’t seem to fit with the posioning which were led to believe has occurred. Also don’t think it fits with the character of Adora, such evident and vivid acts of violence seems out of sorts for a character who appears much more subtle in her cruelty

Anyway I think it’s been fantastic, it was slow at first but that investment in character building and establishing the environment in which these events are transpiring is really starting to pay off. The way they’ve treated memory in this has been one of the best representations I can recall, really captures the subjective element to it and the way in which memories are relived.
My understanding is that Adora isn't intentionally cruel to the children and trying to kill them, she does it to keep them near her. Remember what the nurse told the detective when he was in with her? Whatever that affliction she has that makes her cause people to be sick so they need her. I think what happened is she did that to Miriam but didn't actually mean to kill her.

Therefore I don't think she's the killer, she doesn't actively try to kill people, certainly not in such a violent manner.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm pretty sure that Adora was behind the killings in some way but wasn't the killer herself, although it's hard to think of who would help her — the police officer that has close relationship with her doesn't seem to be the type and her husband tends to ignore this rather than actively participate in the violence (although it won't surprise me if something triggered him and he killed someone as a way to deal with his feelings about his daughter's death — there was that dialog when he said to Adora that "he lost a daughter too")

nimic

something nice
Scout
My god that was unsettling. I saw some of it coming, sort of, but... christ on a bike. That post credit stuff, though...

Great TV series. Should rain Emmys, honestly.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Im trying to watch this but I can't finish the first episode. Have started it several times already only to fall asleep. I'll keep trying though..

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Brilliant series. As far as stand alone seasons go it has to be up there with the likes of True Detective season one with the acting, production and story. Thought I knew what was going to happen but the way it panned out made much more sense. The footage after the end credits was so unsettling. Definitely going to read the book now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I watched the finale last night. I really, really enjoyed this show. The slow pace, the atmosphere and the use of flashbacks worked superbly. I can see why some wouldn't like it, but i loved it. Some brilliant performances also and the finale was great.

I also never wait until the credits end so was lucky to catch the post credit sequence. I'm not sure why i left them running but obviously i'm glad i did.

Massive Spanner

Really enjoyed that finale.

It's a seriously slow burn of a show bit I feel after knowing the ending that it would be a good rewatch.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I watched the finale last night. I really, really enjoyed this show. The slow pace, the atmosphere and the use of flashbacks worked superbly. I can see why some wouldn't like it, but i loved it. Some brilliant performances also and the finale was great.

I also never wait until the credits end so was lucky to catch the post credit sequence. I'm not sure why i left them running but obviously i'm glad i did.
Did you catch the mid-credits sequence too? I'm sure some people heard about it and skipped straight to the end of the credits. It was an interesting way of doing it, but I'm not sure it was the best idea.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Did you catch the mid-credits sequence too? I'm sure some people heard about it and skipped straight to the end of the credits. It was an interesting way of doing it, but I'm not sure it was the best idea.
Yeah i caught it. Like i said, i haven't done that throughout the whole show. When the credits would start to roll i would turn off. But for some reason i watched these. Probably because of the reveal at the end was a bit of a gut punch so was just absorbing it. But yeah, that sequence caught me off guard!

I don't particularly like those post-credit stingers, either. Hate it when movies do it, too.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah i caught it. Like i said, i haven't done that throughout the whole show. When the credits would start to roll i would turn off. But for some reason i watched these. Probably because of the reveal at the end was a bit of a gut punch so was just absorbing it. But yeah, that sequence caught me off guard!

I don't particularly like those post-credit stingers, either. Hate it when movies do it, too.
Same here, it worked on me because I was still digesting what I had just seen. And in that sense it worked very well, but the problem is that a lot of people won't actually wait through the credits. They justified it partly by referring to movies that do it, which is not a good reason. It should not become the standard.

Roosney

Last two episodes saved the series. First six were frustrating and dull even though I understand it was the theme of the show but still.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Watched the first ep. - slow but interesting. Is it worth carrying on with?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Watched the first ep. - slow but interesting. Is it worth carrying on with?
It's fantastic. But if you thought the first episode was too slow, then you might not enjoy it as much. It's a pretty slow-moving thing, with a great pay-off. But I would definitely not agree with @Roosney that any episode was dull or frustrating.

Cina

It's fantastic. But if you thought the first episode was too slow, then you might not enjoy it as much. It's a pretty slow-moving thing, with a great pay-off. But I would definitely not agree with @Roosney that any episode was dull or frustrating.
You're dull and frustrating.

Runner

tried watching it but found it incredibly boring. Maybe just not in the right mood when i started.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
tried watching it but found it incredibly boring. Maybe just not in the right mood when i started.
It took me a while to get past the first episode too, but binged watch the rest easily.

Definitely nothing special, but still good stuff, specially the last episodes.

arnie_ni

Thought the ending left things up in the air. Googled it and realised i missed the clips mid credits.

Came here and realised i missed another clip after the end credits

arnie_ni

Thought the ending left things up in the air. Googled it and realised i missed the clips mid credits.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Even without the credits, it was clear that she had killed the girls in Windgap, and that she was probably going to kill or had already killer her new friend. The credits just made it more... visceral. And made it clear that Adora was not involved in the murders, but Amma's friends were.

Roosney

Even without the credits, it was clear that she had killed the girls in Windgap, and that she was probably going to kill or had already killer her new friend. The credits just made it more... visceral. And made it clear that Adora was not involved in the murders, but Amma's friends were.
Or was she "training" the new friend to be a co-killer?

Massive Spanner

Or was she "training" the new friend to be a co-killer?
No, Amma takes after Dorah in that she craves attention and the moment they were showing attention to the new girl at the dinner and Amma remarked "kiss ass" was basically when she said she was going to kill her.