Shaw confirms ref bottled the penalty

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This is always the case. I don't even care about the odd decision going against us, it's the narrative when one goes in our favour that drives me up the wall.
Absolutely.
Even this, implying that it's ridiculous Ole is talking about penalties when we've had so many.

There's been 2 or 3 over the last 18 months which were contentious. The rest are absolutely penalties. In the last few weeks we've had 2 definite penalties not given (which almost balances it out), goals disallowed and goals given against us that shouldn't have been.

Media narrative annoys me the most.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Absolutely.
Even this, implying that it's ridiculous Ole is talking about penalties when we've had so many.

There's been 2 or 3 over the last 18 months which were contentious. The rest are absolutely penalties. In the last few weeks we've had 2 definite penalties not given (which almost balances it out), goals disallowed and goals given against us that shouldn't have been.

You don't get a certain quota for penalties allocated before the season starts. If it is a penalty, it's a penalty.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You don't get a certain quota for penalties allocated before the season starts. If it is a penalty, it's a penalty.
Absolutely.

The media narrative does irk me and that's why I really want United people in the media to point it out but they tend to go the other way completely.

Amarsdd

Absolutely.

Who is this feckin cnut?! I am more annoyed now than during the game after that decision. WTF is he talking about "probably was a handball but would have been harsh"

Denis' cuff

Imagine if Sir Alex was still in charge. Heads would be rolling and you'd know that Manchester United ain't a club to be fecked with. :mad:
fecking joking pal.

we’ve been repeatedly fecked over while Alex was boss. Double ban for a Eric, unprecedented bans for Rio, Scholes, Neville, Rooney etc etc

ShinjiNinja26

Ole is furious! You can tell he’s holding back what he really wants to say here too

The comments to that video are infuriating. Full of ABU’s not even acknowledging the fact a PL ref has openly admitted to bottling a penalty decision but instead just having digs at Ole and saying we deserved to get fecked over cause “We GeT aLL ThE PeNalTies AnD DeCisioNS!!!”.

lsd

The Oracle
The games over we were crap in a big game once again and did not deserve to win

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What people also forget is that penalties are much more common now anyway . Tyler mentioned in commentary today that this season league has already seen as many as the whole of last season so clearly the overall number is going up rather than just United getting more . Pretty sure Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester have similar numbers to us this season

RashyForPM

The comments to that video are infuriating. Full of ABU’s not even acknowledging the fact a PL ref has openly admitted to bottling a penalty decision but instead just having digs at Ole and saying we deserved to get fecked over cause “We GeT aLL ThE PeNalTies AnD DeCisioNS!!!”.
It’s football Twitter mate. I’ve learned to not get wound up so much about those comments. It’s basically trolls from the 20 PL clubs going at each other.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Shaw was nowhere near the ref. Harry’s obviously told them that at half time and Shaw’s repeated it then realised he’s dropped Harry in it so said he heard it himself

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What people also forget is that penalties are much more common now anyway . Tyler mentioned in commentary today that this season league has already seen as many as the whole of last season so clearly the overall number is going up rather than just United getting more . Pretty sure Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester have similar numbers to us this season
Chelsea and Leicester have had more than us but that doesn’t suit the bollocks media narrative. Any hint of controversy BT spend 16 fecking hours talking about it...unless it’s against United then who gives a feck?

RashyForPM

The games over we were crap in a big game once again and did not deserve to win
That’s for the post match thread, where I’ve vented my frustrations too. This thread is to berate a ref for not giving a pen which would have won us the game. Even if we didn’t deserve to, which we didn’t, who cares if we did? It’s Chelsea away, Fergie’s teams hardly won there and if we did, it was often undeserved. Chelsea would say the same coming to OT. The refs done us here, essentially cheated us.

ShinjiNinja26

Absolutely.

Whose the fecks this no mark? But as I fear he’s just echoing the sentiments of the media in general and will just brush this under the carpet and claim we’re just moaning cause we never got the penalty.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s football Twitter mate. I’ve learned to not get wound up so much about those comments. It’s basically trolls from the 20 PL clubs going at each other.
Aye. should know better really but just pissed off as I know this will just get swept under the carpet and never spoken of again when in fact if true is a pretty fecking big deal that needs to be seriously looked into.

Adcuth

We've had 8 same as Chelsea, Leicester have had 10

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Chelsea and Leicester have had more than us but that doesn’t suit the bollocks media narrative. Any hint of controversy BT spend 16 fecking hours talking about it...unless it’s against United then who gives a feck?
Even when we win 9-0, nope gotta talk about a random pen.

mav_9me

They can hardly ban him for quoting/paraphrasing, can they?
I personally wouldn't be surprised at all. They banned Scholes in PL for a tackle in a preseason friendly. They banned Cavani for speaking his language.

passing-wind

He’s saying what we all knew already, refs bottling the big decisions, the buck being passed between the on field officials and VAR. They don’t want to deal with the backlash so take the easy option it’s an absolute joke! State of refereeing in the PL is disgusting.
To be fair from what the commentary stated VAR told the referee to give the penalty. It was the ref who decided against that decision.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
allowed Brighton to take a quick free kick from which they scored
Split second before it went over the line he blew his whistle and didn’t give the goal
Then gave the goal
Then went to VAR who told him you stopped play before it went in so it can’t be a goal
Then got injured apparently so couldn’t be involved tonight
Feck me sideways

ShinjiNinja26

To be fair from what the commentary stated VAR told the referee to give the penalty. It was the ref who decided against that decision.
Aye on this occasion VAR got it right but my point was more about the general state of things as well. Far to often It looks like the refs are afraid to make the big decisions, they don’t want to deal with it and hope VAR bails them out after mulling it over for 5 minutes. They also seem very reluctant to go against each other’s decisions even when it looks like an obvious error has been made.

Winrar

I don't care what team was affected the decision (just happened to be us), but if the ref really denied us a penalty solely because he was afraid of the media talking about it then he really has no business being a PL referee.

On another note, wasn't there one season several years back where we weren't awarded a single penalty? Or if we did have one it was after a very dry spell. Where were the media clamoring for "injustice" back then?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It was obviously a penalty.

If the ref said something stupid then the Premier League should remind him of his duties and potentially sanction him. There's no reason for a referee to be justifying his decisions to players anyway.

Shaw should've kept his trap shut.

Brophs

The One and Only
To offer some bit of balance, I wonder was it a badly articulated way of saying that the offence involved an inadvertent handball and giving a penalty for it would be a judgement call (which would get people arguing). I dunno. I don't agree with it, but it seems such a nakedly daft thing to say to a player, that I sort of assume that it couldn't have been as watery as it sounds.

ajay1002

It was obviously a penalty.

If the ref said something stupid then the Premier League should remind him of his duties and potentially sanction him. There's no reason for a referee to be justifying his decisions to players anyway.

Shaw should've kept his trap shut.
If the ref has actually said what has been claimed, then Shaw has every right to draw attention to it.

ajay1002

To offer some bit of balance, I wonder was it a badly articulated way of saying that the offence involved an inadvertent handball and giving a penalty for it would be a judgement call (which would get people arguing). I dunno. I don't agree with it, but it seems such a nakedly daft thing to say to a player, that I sort of assume that it couldn't have been as watery as it sounds.
CHO's hand is above his shoulder. According to the rules on the FA website, this alone makes it a handball offence. Intention or otherwise is no longer a consideration.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If the ref has actually said what has been claimed, then Shaw has every right to draw attention to it.
No. The club should draw attention to it. Not Shaw in a post match interview.

GwilDor

While i understand they cannot make themselves liable for lawsuits etc., if this is true... i’m a bit out of words.
Surely if he said this he won’t ref the PL ever again? In the normal competetive business world, and with the amount of money involved, the PL would face a hefty lawsuit.

When presented with all the available facts at the time. How did you make the wrong decision. Like, explain it, and i might accept. But the decision to open VAR without making ref’s have mic’s, post match interviews or otherwise making them susceptible to the consequence of their decisions is beyond me.
It’s not going to happen. The more likely outcome is that a similar handball occurs and a penalty is given
Ifthat happens it will be a pen for SHU, so they can maintain narrative.Bonus: they miss it.
What I want to understand is what is it that the referee has seen that convinces him that it isn't a penalty. This is why refs need to come out and be questioned at the end of games. It's all guesswork until they start doing this. If they know that they're going to be questioned after games, maybe they'll make better decisions during the match.
Exactly. TV2 norway got a comment from the VAR bus saying CHO’s hand was not moving towards the ball, hence no pen. Which obviously is both wrong, AND wrong use of the rules. If he had said Greenwoods hand affected the handball, i could have accepted the deciscion(even though wrong). According to Atwell you can obviously position yourself like a GK, as long as your hand doesn’t move towards the ball. Also, looking from last change of direction kn the ball, he moved his hand towards the ball for everything but the last 2/100s of a second...
Might be wrong but is that not what they do in their referee reports after the game which get submitted to the league and FA? Basically explaining every decision they’ve made and why.

Again, I might be talking pure sour grapes here but I’m sure that’s what they do after every game they officiate?
That has do be filed what, 24(?)/48(?) hrs after the game? Whoch is when the normal controversy has all died down, other games have taken the spotlight.
What we need is to know why they make the decision they do, when they make it. I’m all for putting mic’s on refs and/or having them themselves give the reason behind their call in VAR situations, like in american football. Without further comparison to that game, that should be possible. In cases like today, where that is obviously not enough. Why are they shielded from post match interviews? The restrictions should be on the interviewer, asking non-loaded questions. I can accept understandable mistakes, if you can tell me how you made them.
Or just have them mic'd up! If we heard their conversation with the VAR we'd know exactly what's going on and why they're making the call. When you hear rugby refs talking to the TMO it's completely clear to everyone what's going on, whereas in football it's deliberately left for us to guess.
Exactly. For me, easier to accept even imo wrong decisions if you say why. Like, greenwood affected CHO’s arm enough that i thought it wasn’t a pen. OK, fair enough. I disagree, but at least i know why you didn’t give it.

Amarsdd

It will be the same as the Sheffield United game. The ref will come out saying they made the wrong decision and everything will be brushed under the rug. Its not like it was a decision that went for us which obviously would need to be talked about for a week even when we won the game 9-0.

Brophs

The One and Only
CHO's hand is above his shoulder. According to the rules on the FA website, this alone makes it a handball offence. Intention or otherwise is no longer a consideration.
Fair enough. As I said, I don't agree, but I think depending on the angle you could possibly argue that the hand wasn't above the shoulder.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
No. The club should draw attention to it. Not Shaw in a post match interview.
You have to bring it up in the moment, as by tomorrow you have Gallagher on sky defending him with some bullshit defence now he will have to answer this as well, we’d end up looking like Southampton if the club said something first and nothing would be done.
The only thing the fa or who ever hires the refs can do now is sack him he’s incompetent and incapable of doing his job because of outside critiques, it’s almost akin to match fixing.