Shea Lacey

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Don't forget that so far, all of Lacey's U18 stats are as a 15 or 16 year old - most of them as a 15 year old due to his injury this year.

I'm not sure about Gomes' exact age for his 2000+ U18 minutes, but suspect on average he was older.

So it's not really fair to compare the stats at this point.
Gomes also debuted as a 15-year old and all of his U18 games were at 16 or 17.

Perhaps you’re right though. Just responded to a poster saying output separates Lacey from Gomes.

Anyway it’ll be great to have him back, it’s a shame his breakthrough season (with the U18s) has been somewhat ruined by an injury.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Anyone suggesting to bring him in needs to look at that photo for like 2 seconds to realise why he needs more time before he gets first team action.

Remember the geese

Anyone suggesting to bring him in needs to look at that photo for like 2 seconds to realise why he needs more time before he gets first team action.
I wouldn't give him game time, but I'd be very tempted to bring him on tour in the summer. With the Euros on, we could/should have quite a youthful squad. Though it would have been much better if he hadn't missed as much football as he has this season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't know, I remember Foden looking tiny when he made his debut at 17. Similar type of player too.

Not saying we should though.

Pericles

I wouldn't give him game time, but I'd be very tempted to bring him on tour in the summer. With the Euros on, we could/should have quite a youthful squad. Though it would have been much better if he hadn't missed as much football as he has this season.
He is not near ready for that. Rushing his development will only damage him long term.
Players like Williams, Scanlon, Wheatley are more PHYSICALLY ready for the summer tour.

saik

He's more or less missed the whole season due to injury. I don't think I've seen him play for the u18s since November. Training with the first team is fine but he's nowhere near ready physically and I'd say he needs one full year of u18/u21s before we can think of promoting.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Think it’s a year too soon for tour?

Great technical player but he’s got some developing to do.
I don't know, I remember Foden looking tiny when he made his debut at 17. Similar type of player too.

Not saying we should though.
I think (if I remember correctly) Foden was levels above Lacey. I agree they are similar(ish).

Remember the geese

Think it’s a year too soon for tour?

Great technical player but he’s got some developing to do.
Potentially, yes. However, they are just a bunch of friendly matches essentially. Especially with so many first team players unavailable. It would be as much about the experience itself, as it would be about making an impact on the pitch. Minutes would be very limited anyway.

Yes, lots of development for him to do. He needs to stay fit next season. A full season of under 18 football, with a sprinkling of performances for the under 21's later in the season and then you can possibly consider integrating him into the first team squad. Similarly to what is happening/will be happening with Amass at the moment.

Gungerz

It is worth mentioning that, like Ibragimov, although Lacey is small he comes from a combat sports background (in his case he was a very good boxer before moving full-time to football), so he's not at all someone who will be phased or shy away from physical duels.

There's no rush with him though, the club believe he will grow so just give it time. The technical ability is already there in spades, the rest will come.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Potentially, yes. However, they are just a bunch of friendly matches essentially. Especially with so many first team players unavailable. It would be as much about the experience itself, as it would be about making an impact on the pitch. Minutes would be very limited anyway.

Yes, lots of development for him to do. He needs to stay fit next season. A full season of under 18 football, with a sprinkling of performances for the under 21's later in the season and then you can possibly consider integrating him into the first team squad. Similarly to what is happening/will be happening with Amass at the moment.
Agree with 2nd paragraph. See how he does with some U21s first. Unfortunately I just think injury has probably made it unrealistic to send him on tour.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It is worth mentioning that, like Ibragimov, although Lacey is small he comes from a combat sports background (in his case he was a very good boxer before moving full-time to football), so he's not at all someone who will be phased or shy away from physical duels.
It’s not that he’s shy or anything it’s just there’s still quite a bit of physical development before he has his man’s body if that makes sense?

I’m not sure the best thing for his development is to throw him that soon onto a tour.

Sancho99

Big talent but needs time and football in the u18s to build himself back up. Not a fan of all these academy channels on social media giving so much hype and exposure to sub 16 year old kids. It's not fair IMHO.

jesperjaap

Historically we have taken loads of kids on tour, its a tour, some experience for him beingabroad, with (a no doubt depleted) squad wherehe can get 10-20mins of time under his belt.

not ready for the first team, sure but why are people reading so much into a tour and one as others have mentioned where duethe Euros there will be opportunities for players that are not ready for opportunities in the premiership.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Agree with 2nd paragraph. See how he does with some U21s first. Unfortunately I just think injury has probably made it unrealistic to send him on tour.
Didn’t the U23s / second string go on tour with us last year? I remember Hannibal being theIr best player in at least one game? Maybe a good few of the lads will get going like that if it’s happening again

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not a fan of all these academy channels on social media giving so much hype and exposure to sub 16 year old kids. It's not fair IMHO.
I agree — there’s that one something ‘Scoop’ which is going way OTT and really gaining traction on Twitter. So much unnecessary pressure on these young kids

GueRed

Looked impressive when he was fit for the first few months of the season. Talent was evident to see.
Hopefully he has his head screwed on, develops well and stays clears from serious injuries from now on.
One to watch.

DanClancy

Isn't he a scouser? How did United manage to sign him, must be from a family of Evertonians!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Isn't he a scouser? How did United manage to sign him, must be from a family of Evertonians!
They are Liverpool fans actually. But his oldest brother trained with us for a while before choosing to join Liverpool as he supports them. After that their dad made Shea and Luis join United as he thought the facilities, coaching, and development were all better in United’s academy.