Sheep Draft - NM vs MJJ - players at their peak

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skizzo

Team Writeup:

A 4-4-2 diamond with a twist.

In goal, we have “El Buldog”, Chilavert. 3 Time IFFHS World’s Best goalkeeper award winner, and one of the best around in his time. In defense, we have a solid CB pairing of Rio Ferdinandand Hans-Georg “Katsche” Schwarzenbeck. Rio needs no introduction, and Schwarzenbeck is the perfect complement to him. “The Kaiser’s Bodyguard” was the man who stayed back while Beckenbauer ran the show for Bayern, and was a strong, brilliant defender in his own right. A very strong solid Centerback combination anchors the team. The team’s RB will need no introduction either. Carlos Alberto (captain) will dominate the entire right flank, neutralizing threats while going forward to provide width as needed. On the left, Ze Roberto (Bayern and Brazil regular) will provide a solid, dependable presence, while also going forward to support the attack as needed.

In midfield, the Andrea Pirlo will sit at the base of the diamond, controlling the game along with the incomparable Michele Platini at the top of the diamond. One of them alone will cause nightmares to opposing midfields, but both will result in complete control. Platini and Pirlo will have the freedom to do as they please due to the men in the center of the diamond, Marco Tardelli and Gennaro Gattuso. Two genuine box-to-box midfielders with an emphasis on defensive duties will help give Pirlo and Platini the freedom of the field, while also being willing runners when the team is in possession.

In attack, we have one of the greatest of them all, “The Galloping Major” Ferenc Puskas leading the line. 508 goals in 521 games, and the undisputed leader of the “Magical Magyars”. Alongside him, we have one of the most prolific wingers of all time, Kurt Hamrin. Hamrin will start on the right hand side, but will drift in or out, creating space for the others, while remaining a threat himself. He is still the 7th leading scorer in Serie A.

The tactics are straightforward. A solid defense, a brilliant balance of creativity and grit in midfield, and magic in attack. The team will control the game, and Platini/Puskas/Hamrin/ will score the goals.

Where the game will be won:
  • Goals galore: Platini, Puskas and Hamrin are amongst the greatest and most prolific in their positions. 981! goals between them.
  • Proven partnerships in midfield: Platini-Tadelli and Pirlo-Gattuso are proven partnerships at the highest level in football. They work like magic, and the entire midfield will be a seamless glove.
  • Solidarity in defense: 1 World Cup, 1 European Championship, 3 European Cups, 10 Budesligas, and 7 German cups.And that's only Schwarzenbeck and Ze Roberto's haul! I don't think Rio and Carlos Alberto need to list their trophies. The gist: This defense is very solid.
In summary, I think my team will have no problem controlling the game, and will overwhelm MJJ's team with power and creativity. Dominance in possession will result in multiple chances being created, and my attack is simply too good not to put them away. I don't see MJJ's team controlling this enough to create plenty of chances, and my defense should certainly have a much easier time keeping him out than his will mine.

I prefer not to directly attack/criticize opposing teams, so will not post much more about MJJ's team in the tactics.

TEAM NM/Theon

TEAM MJJ

Tactics

Defend deep and hit long balls to drogba. Having a five man defense with gilberto shielding it helps prevents nm from creating too much. Sinclair will provide pace on the right while carlos will do the same on the left.

Bebeto trickery, drogbas physicality and xavi's eye for a pass should ensure my victory.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Clearly a win for NM here. That said shouldn't Tardelli and Gattuso be swapped round?

sajeev

the number of sheep means this is a mismatch despite MJJ having some great players on his team

Golden Nugget

I voted MJJ because I picked Bebeto. Really don't think it will make much impact on the results.

NM

Good try @MJJ. I was worried about the power of Eboue, but it seems he has failed you.

MJJ

I'll give you my vote if it means I'm able to visit Kashmir... This strategy might work.:lol:
:lol: just need to get the deed of kashmir somehow now.

Awesome team nm, with the right reinforcements can easily see you winning this whole thing. That's a final worthy midfield and attack.

MJJ

Also can anyone explain why they feel pirlo platini won't work well as haven't seen platini play at all? Since pirlo and Totti won Italy a wc don't really see why platini would struggle playing with pirlo.

NM

Also can anyone explain why they feel pirlo platini won't work well as haven't seen platini play at all? Since pirlo and Totti won Italy a wc don't really see why platini would struggle playing with pirlo.
I don't think anybody can really say that in this context. In some cases, it could be too many cooks in the kitchen, but in this case, both have the freedom of the field. Every player in the team has a defined role/idea of what they are supposed to do.

MJJ

I don't think anybody can really say that in this context. In some cases, it could be too many cooks in the kitchen, but in this case, both have the freedom of the field. Every player in the team has a defined role/idea of what they are supposed to do.
Yup and with you not playing two wingers platini has the attacking third to do whatever he wants, similarly with pirlo in my opinion anyway.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For me this match comes down to pure talent. You can talk all you want about tactics when it comes to certain draft match ups but in this case there is a great difference in the technical quality of one side v the other. Of course MJJ has some brilliant individuals in his side and tactically his side looks decent, it'll be tough to beat in the initial stages... but NM's team is not going to be tactically exposed in such a one sided match up.

Everyone on NM's team is comfortable on the ball, there will be waves of attacks upon attacks until MJJ's defence surrenders and inevitably gives way. The Pirlo/Platini conundrum is not going to be an issue in this match at all, both will see ample possession and dovetail beautifully in this game, taking turns to dominate the game. Xavi will be all at sea.

Ze Roberto instead of being a hindrance is a strength in this match up, because when you're looking to break down a defence, he's an ideal wing-back. Creative, plenty of attacking nous.. you'd rather him than a solid defensive Left back whoo'll do nothing but pass sideways and back.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's not that both won't work together at all, but it's difficult for me to imagine how you can get the best out of both players at the same time, which is what you ideally want when you pick both players so early in a draft. In a way it's also true for Pirlo and Totti. I don't think Totti ever showed his best form with Pirlo pulling the strings in midfield for the nationalteam. They didn't play a lot together anyway, only the World Cup in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. Totti was still good in 2006, but he was clearly limited in his role in comparison to for example his final performance in the Euro 2000.

And Platini could do so much more on the pitch than Totti, you'd really want him to control the pace of the game, drop deeper if he likes, have the game surrounding him at all times. With Pirlo, you all of a sudden need Platini to roam around in the final third and wait for the ball. It's just not a good fit, even worse if you have a striker like Puskas who's also a very complete final third player and wants to see more of the ball than just finish chances.

At least they stopped trying to get another striker and went with the asymmetrical line-up with Hamrin as a wide forward. Never understood why Hamrin was a problem, he's a fantastic fit here. NM/Theon tried to pick Romario, Kocsis and Müller and each of them would have turned this into a clusterfeck while Hamrin adds more than enough goals (how many more do you need with Puskas and Platini in the team?), but also opens up space for Platini upfront, the same way Rocheteau played that role in the French version of the magic square in the 80's or how it worked in Juve's zona mista tactics with one striker, a wingback on the left and a winger on the right.

MJJ

@Balu thanks for that. Always thought of puskas as more of a lead the line striker so wasn't aware that he was a playmaker as well at times. If you add him into the mix I agree that it can be a case of having too many play makers but on the other hand no team will be able to shut both pirlo and platini at the same time. So nm will always have a world class player pulling the strings.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There is no doubt that NM has issues there with that trio, I just don't think this is the match to expose them.

MDFC Manager

With the way MJJ has set up, it could actually turn out to be a tight game. But ultimately, NM has enough talent up there to create goalscoring opportunities for Puskas to bury.

NM

There is no doubt that NM has issues there with that trio, I just don't think this is the match to expose them.
I'm still not sure. The idea is very simple - no other team will be able to control Pirlo and Platini, and Puskas and Hamrin will always find space to score goals. Of course Puskas can do a lot more than that, and he will need to with time - but not yet!

To be fair, nobody ever said Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were too many cooks in the kitchen. Different positions, but you get the idea.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm still not sure. The idea is very simple - no other team will be able to control Pirlo and Platini, and Puskas and Hamrin will always find space to score goals. Of course Puskas can do a lot more than that, and he will need to with time - but not yet!

To be fair, nobody ever said Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were too many cooks in the kitchen. Different positions, but you get the idea.
That brings us back to what @antohan probably meant when he said that Platini would do what Pirlo does anyway. If your opponent tries to "control" Platini in the final third, he'd just drop deeper and then you'd want someone different to Pirlo in the team. If you need Pirlo, Platini will do the job and you'd rather have an additional player in the final third who could receive passes and do something with it, because you don't have Platini there anymore. It's what Giresse and Tigana offered for the French nationalteam. You just cut something away from Platini's natural game without gaining anything. In a way, having Pirlo in the team makes it easier for the opponent to control Platini, as strange as it sounds.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are complementary both in terms of personality as well as tactically.

You have one dominant match-winning personality.. the numero uno in Messi supported by two submissive but very confident players. They are happy to serve him, there is no jealousy on their part.. their enjoyment of the game is not affected by having Messi on the pitch.

Iniesta is not miffed at having Xavi as the central midfield hub, he is happy to float around and wreak havoc. Xavi has no concern in getting forward, he just wants to control proceedings and Messi.. he just wants to win games, give me the ball and let me score a goal or find the killer pass. Psychologically they're all pretty humble and it is proven in matchplay.. they all get on well, there is no tension between them.

Tactically they operate in different areas, Messi up front/10 or on the right, Iniesta occupies the left hand side and occasionally number 10/CM and Xavi CM/rarely 10. They sometimes occupy same spaces but rarely, they have a telepathic understanding of where each others positioning needs to be in response to their colleague.

In contrast you have Platini/Puskas who both very much like to occupy the 10 spot. Puskas was one of the most complete forwards of his time, he is incredibly similar to Messi at his false 9 peak in terms of style and positioning. He wasn't a 'striker'.. but he did manage to play alongside other great names in Di Stefano/Kopa so we can assume he can adjust.

However Platini has further conflict because he is having to play alongside Pirlo. Platini was not a final third number 10, I'd say he influenced games more than a Maradona in terms of the 'control' he exercised in games. He was Cruyff-like in the sense he really did come deep, play make and then he'd be the furthest player at times.. he really was a complete 10, an orchestrator. In that sense, he is not complementary with Pirlo who needs breathing space in that midfield to be at his best. He would not be at his best if someone like Platini was coming deep and asking for the ball to feet quite often, he'd get frustrated.

In this game even accounting for this issue, I think MJJ doesn't have enough to take advantage of the 'disharmony' in NM's set up. Then again NM's decision to place Tardelli and Gattuso is a nice attempt to add 'harmony' to that midfield and make Platini and Pirlo feel more comfortable. It is definitely a good method of deflecting the attention away from issue but I still think against potentially better balanced midfield's further down the line, something has got to give.

NM

@Raees @Balu I see and understand what you guys are saying, but don't see it as a huge issue.. yet. Against another team I can see your argument. I just believe that great players make each other greater.

Regardless, the consensus seems to be a LB and LW for the replacement round, yes?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Raees @Balu I see and understand what you guys are saying, but don't see it as a huge issue.. yet. Against another team I can see your argument. I just believe that great players make each other greater.

Regardless, the consensus seems to be a LB and LW for the replacement round, yes?
Who would you jettison for a left winger?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If you pick a left winger, would you leave Pirlo out of the team?

NM

Who would you jettison for a left winger?
It would give me tactical flexibility. That's all. Not sure who yet.

If you pick a left winger, would you leave Pirlo out of the team?
He would be the one, yes, but it would depend on who I would face. It would give me tactical flexibility.

Safer bet is to focus on LB for now.
Aye that's the number 1 priority. I see 3 areas that could use an upgrade over time. LB (for now) and eventually CB (I don't think Schwarzenbeck will be rated by scan voters) and eventually one of the CMs.

Depends on whose available of course, but right now that's the way I go. However, if I see a GOAT in other positions, I might not be able to resist it.:drool: