Sheep draft QF - Edgar Allan Pillow vs kps88

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Jaysus, yes. I remember that one. That was a bleedin' disgrace, I thought. There's no way in the world Pep's Barca would've stood a chance against what is essentially a fantasy team capable of doing everything and more Maureen's Inter did - with added quality in just about every bloody position.
Terrible result that was.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Midfield:

1) From a purely defensive view, Carlo ranks equal. I'd rate Carlo's work rate to be higher than Redondo's too.
2) Here you have Desailly on Laudrup. I presume most of play at both ends will be dictated from the deep by Redondo and Carlo. Redondo has the edge here, but then when looking at the other midfielder in the equation Thomas Muller offer so much more attacking threat than Tigana.

Despite perceptions, the gap in midfield is not that wide as people make out to be.

Attack:

Garrincha for all brilliance was not as a consistent goal scorer. The "goal threat" gap between Jairzinho vs Carboni far outweighs Garrincha vs Cabrini. Jairzinho will score as he has done consistently in the WC. If you look at probability of scoring goals here, Jairzinho is the one the watch of the two. Add that in to my superior attack, I'm sure I can outscore him.

Full Backs:

1) As mentioned above Carboni vs Jairzinho will leak to more goals than Cabrini vs Garrincha (See goal comparison in OP).
1.5) Assuming the full backs are occupied, the players in that flank upfront are Del Piero vs Baggio. Baggio is far more lethal and would cause more damage than Del Piero.​
2) The full back on the other side are Sagnol and Gerets. Gerets will easily be more effective of the two.

If you look at different battles that might come into play all through, I have significant advantages overall, especially where in matter...in front of the goal.
Damn. Bottomed out. Copying again.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
:lol: Did you really? The amount of influence you have on these things...you're the Rupert Murdoch of drafts.
:lol:

So much to like about both teams here. I think Garrincha fits in pretty well in KPS's team. Laudrup is a particularly unselfish and relatively non-egotistical playmaker, so I don't see much conflict there. Eto'o is a nice fit to get on the end of Garrincha's cut backs as well. As Edgar's defence inevitably gets pulled to their left a little to cover Garrincha's relentles dribbling threat, there's few more capable than Laudrup at springing their defence by playing in Del Piero instead.

I agree with @Raees about Desailly's passing range too. He was very classy on the ball. Maybe that gets lost a bit due to his fearsome physical qualities and him being cast as the stopper to Blanc's ball player in that great France defence. Nevertheless, there's something a bit off with Edgar's midfield, namely that Muller-lite does most of hisbest work closer to the opposition penalty area. Honestly, I preferred his initial formation, with Baggio assuming a more central and creative role. Maybe you lose a bit of his goal threat by playing him deeper, but there's enough goals in EAP's attack anyway, and he desperately needs someone to thread together his midfield and attack.

Edging towards Kps here.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Jaysus, yes. I remember that one. That was a bleedin' disgrace, I thought. There's no way in the world Pep's Barca would've stood a chance against what is essentially a fantasy team capable of doing everything and more Maureen's Inter did - with added quality in just about every bloody position.
Aye, that was one result that I was genuinely quite agitated about.

kps88

Throw Donadoni into the mix - exceptionally clever player, disciplined too. I'd do it. There's creativity in buckets there anyway, with both Laudrup and Garrincha - you don't really need Del Piero's brand of genius on top of that (I guess that's where my problem with the balance lies, ultimately).

Anyway, it doesn't matter in this match - but perhaps something to consider if (should be when) he progresses.
Agree with Chester here, ADP and Laudrup doesn't do it for me.
Isn't it similar to Del Piero-Zidane at Juventus? I'm valuing his goal scoring and movement more than his creativity in this setup. Was worried removing him would mean losing a significant goal threat.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Isn't it similar to Del Piero-Zidane at Juventus? I'm valuing his goal scoring and movement more than his creativity in this setup. Was worried removing him would mean losing a significant goal threat.
That's how I see it. I don't see del Piero, the more creative, central trequartista. I see del Piero, the goalscoring, direct inside forward. It actually works out quite well, too. Laudrup, pretty much, completes his midfield. Whilst Garrincha is quite undisciplined in his game, he does have a ton of ability in him, so he will cause problems for Cabrini and Montero. Plus, Eto'o is not your traditional striker; he drifts around quite a lot, so Garrincha's indiscipline won't have that much of an impact, IMO.

Defensively, kps has quite a solid setup. Sagnol and Cannavaro may be the weak points, but Redondo and Tigana in midfield do really help, particularly because EAP doesn't really have someone to link the defence with the attack. If he went with a counter-attacking, backs-to-the-wall approach, I'd edge towards him, but kps has a really good setup here, so I have to vote for him, especially since he beat us convincingly when I thought we were quite equal.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If anything Carboni against Jairzinho is the weak point, not Cannavaro or Sagnol with Bergomi inbetween them.

I told EAP he should replace Ancelotti with a complete midfielder and play a sheep at fullback for one more round because it's the more obvious flaw. I doubt it would have been enough to beat kps88 here, who quietly built an incredible team, but EAP's team really is too flawed to go further now.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
If anything Carboni against Jairzinho is the weak point, not Cannavaro or Sagnol with Bergomi inbetween them.

I told EAP he should replace Ancelotti with a complete midfielder and play a sheep at fullback for one more round because it's the more obvious flaw. I doubt it would have been enough to beat kps88 here, who quietly built an incredible team, but EAP's team really is too flawed to go further now.
EAP got a bad draw.. I could have seen him going through again against a couple of other teams

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

I didn't mention that as it was fairly obvious that Jairzinho was going to win the battle, and I think I may have underrated Cannavaro and Sagnol with my previous statement. Having said that, though, I do see Muller causing some problems for Cannavaro as his movement is excellent and tough to read.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Agreed. The link between the GOAT defense and attack was always the prime weakness for EAP with almost everyone bleating about it.

He should have gotten that CM which would have improved him much more than the RB pick. Esp when that RB sheep has Desailly covering and Montero-Baresi-Cabrini to help out. I'd rather let the opposition's LW have the edge if the pick meant my team is much more cohesive tactically and much better as a whole.

Unfortunate that his weaker midfield is against the imposing kps midfield as well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't mention that as it was fairly obvious that Jairzinho was going to win the battle, and I think I may have underrated Cannavaro and Sagnol with my previous statement. Having said that, though, I do see Muller causing some problems for Cannavaro as his movement is excellent and tough to read.
Fair enough, I agree with that.

kps88

Nah, this is gone.

Good game @kps88 . A proper left winger and maybe a LB or Striker are my upgrade recommendations for your team.

All the best for rest of the rounds .
Thanks. You did well to get that sort of team considering the three sheep.

Would be sad to drop Del Piero :(