Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Joga Bonito

I'm operating on the premise that he's going with a back 5. A back 4 with Passarella, Lizarazu and Cafu is just reckless imo.

Key Tactical Changes

Roles of Suárez Miramontes (SPA) & Schuster :
I used post injury Barca Schuster and Barca Suárez in the last game as I had the freedom in midfield and could afford to go with an attacking Suárez version who didn't contribute much defensively.

This game is crying out for a midfield with more defensive nous and that is exactly what Inter's Suárez will provide in addition to pre injury Schuster's work rate, dynamism and attacking drive. Their roles are reversed to add better resistance against the opponent's clogged midfield.

That is not to say Suárez becomes handicapped going forward and morphs into a Pirlo. He won't have the same goalscoring potential but can still play a supporting role (dribbling forward when the occasion calls for it) with added defensive nous whilst being the glorious ball 'pinger'. As this video of him at Inter will demonstrate.

Schuster has full license to roam and contribute to both phases of the game. He'll be the ubiquitous tornado here, pressing, probing, going on powerful mazy runs, pinging balls, scoring screamers and getting on the end of things :drool:

Seems overboard? Read more about the force of nature Schuster & Suárez to gain a better understanding of my midfield dynamics.

Addition of Brehme : Gives more balance whilst forming a formidable and complete left flank with Czibor. Vieri likes this.

Defensive Line : Normal

Style of Play : Off the ball, the defense and midfield will stay compact (not sitting back-overly defensive) and stifle his centrally oriented attack. Schuster will be in his pomp as the irrepressible and probing presence in midfield.

Burgnich being the defensive RB tucking in or going wide relative to Lizarazu's position. Brehme and Czibor will work in tandem to pin back Cafu here. Relatively straightforward flank battles without too much support out wide for him.

On the ball, Littbarski and Czibor/Brehme will look to stretch his defense, pulling his defenders out of position and with Schuster's powerful and mazy runs capitalising on a midfield which doesn't offer too much resistance bar Souness. The deadly Vieri would look to pounce on the resulant chaos.

Why I'd win this

1) Inability to stretch my defense

Serious lack of width and pace (bar Sheva) in the final third with too many midfielders who love to hog the middle. Expect Passarella to bomb forward, exacerbating the cluster in the middle and clogging it up even further.

Generally when you are up against a defense consisting of Mr Catenaccio Burgnich, the greatest ever Spanish defender in Hierro, arguably the greatest stopper ever in Kohler and a top 5 GOAT LB in Brehme, shielded by the reliable Mascherano, you'd ideally want to stretch them and pull them out of positions, to have a better chance of breaking through.

Granted, he does have 2 fantastic WBs who can provide width. However, they have the toughest jobs on his team and no two players can be solely relied upon to provide width, without any support out wide. Esp when they are up against the pacey and tricky Czibor-Littbarski on one end and two rock solid FBs in Burgnich and Brehme on the other.

Boris's set up was screaming for a Nedved/Boniek/Rivaldo like player. Not Zico tbh. Even teams which used a narrow midfield with WBs bombing forward, had players in the final third who can stretch play (Peters & Ball 66 Eng, Eder 82 Bra, Six & Rocheatau 82 Fra etc).

I've rarely, if ever, seen a set up with just the WBs solely providing width and pace, even in a back 5 set up (which typically has a pacey AM or two who are comfortable pulling wide ala Rivaldo/Ronaldinho). Pires could do it to a certain extent but he does seem a bit 'meh' given the context.

In his current set up, Boris is more or less heavily reliant on pieces of magic through the middle (passing/dribbling/one-twos through a GOAT defense wall or long shots against 2 time Ballon d'Or Bronze Ball winner Kahn) against a comfortable and compact GOAT defense which isn't going to be stretched much. Esp considering his 2 WBs aren't going to get too much joy against 2 brilliant FBs, without much support out wide, whilst having to deal with Litti and Czibor as well.

2) Lack of solidity & balance in midfield

Playing as one of the CM duo in a 5-2-3 is an tactically exacting and a physically demanding job. Shielding the defense, being dynamic, covering for the WBs, putting in a great shift etc. Souness could most certainly fulfil this role but Gerson? Definitely not. He was a static and a fairly cumbersome player off the ball and is extremely ill suited to this role.

Socrates and Zico won't be contributing much defensively either, esp the former who's a passenger in this regard.

It just leaves Souness alone to carry that midfield defensively, leaving him heavily over burdened against Schuster and Suárez.

Obviously Passarella will push into the midfield to add that graft, which it is so sorely lacking in. However, he has a dilemma here. Does he prioritise pushing into midfield, knowing that it deprives his WBs of the full freedom to push forward to provide width? Another department he's sorely lacking in. Or does he prioritise staying back, maintaining the shape and giving his WBs full freedom whilst leaving the midfield weaker? Yes, he can balance both jobs but not to the extent that either of them require in this particular context.

3) Brehme-Czibor axis

This is an area I believe I'll get a lot of joy. Simply put, you just do not give this much room to Brehme, a proven match winner and a Ballon d'Or Bronze Ball winner (only 4 other FBs have managed a Ballon top 3 finish). Schnellinger, Maldini, Facchetti and R.Carlos, if you are interested (Breitner was a CM and Krol a sweeper during their top 3 finishes).

Brehme will be given full license here to dominante the left flank alongside Czibor and pin back Cafu (depriving them of a crucial width outlet). This doesn't mean we'll be caught on the counter, with Czibor more than capable of covering, as he did for the Mighty Magyars, singlehandedly manning their left flank. Besides they are intelligent players who know how to time their runs.

This'll probably mean Souness will be frequently helping out Cafu to stem my left flank dominance, which seriously deprives his midfield of the only midfielder with steel and graft. You could also potentially see Lucio being overly pulled out of position and disrupting his team's shape which my forwards and Schuster wouldn't mind.

How this will play out

His band of conductors would be easy on the eye on the ball and link up well centrally. However, without the necessary dynamism, decoy runners and width in the final third, he'll struggle to break my defense down. My defense will be in their comfort zone against a predictable and centrally oriented attack with my FBs stifling his sole flank threat WBs in a fairly straightforward wing battle.

This here is the gamebreaker imo. Off the ball you'd expect my midfield to function flawlessly. The intense and ubiquitous pre injury Schuster probing and making a nuisance of himself without the ball and then driving forward at pace and playmaking/linking up with the forwards. La Grande's Suárez with his positioning, tactical intelligence and defensive nous without the ball and his technique, dribbling and 50 yard pinged balls on the ball. Mascherano being the pesky ball winner off the ball and a decent recycler on the ball.

You just can't say the same for his midfield off the ball. This is where I'll have the significant edge (and the left flank), winning the tactical battle despite possessing the less illustrious names. I expect Schuster (assisted by Suárez) to run the show here against a midfield with only the over burdened Souness offering any kind of resistance.

Apologies if I came across a bit too harsh there. Obviously, a lot of disputable (and biased) points here which we can debate upon. I really think you have a team brimming with great players but it is 1 or 2 tactical/personnel tweaks away (esp in midfield) from being a great team tbh.

Anyway good luck Boris

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
a late tactical change by Joga:

vs

Team BorisDeLaFora

This is my team.

Sometimes in life things happen, here Daniel Passarella is playing in midfield.

Passarella obviously made his name as a sweeper, and excellent defender and reader of the game who liked to break forward from defence. Here I have moved him 10/15 yards ahead of where he normally played which for a lot of you may impact his 'Greatness' in this context. In this position, he has the option to drop between the centre backs to get on the ball, so as far as an attacking threat goes he doesn't lose much. Without the ball, his main role will be to fill in behind the full backs when the opposition attack the flanks as my full backs will get no support from elsewhere. He was aggressive and strong in the tackle so would prove to be vital in this position.

This in turn allows Gerson to move closer to Socrates and Zico and enables them to link together and create opportunities. Cafu and Lizarazu can also play to their natural attacking instincts knowing that one of the greatest defenders of all time is there to cover them. Also, it allows Souness some freedom, he knows Passarella is an insurance block, so he can now maraud about the pitch and inflict pain.

At the back Lucio and Tresor are a good blend of power, strength, and footballing ability, and Buffon is Buffon. Then up front I have Shevchenko, a man who will thrive with his pace, positioning, and movement off the ball with these playmakers in behind him.

Good luck @Joga Bonito and @BorisDeLeFora

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't see the point of shoehorning Passarella in midfield. He is a libero and he will do everything that you ask him to do in this midfield position anyway - it's just his natural game.

And what's with the ban? I don't see any signs of it so far? @BorisDeLeFora

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thats a mighty fine writeup @Joga Bonito
Cheers mate. Tbf I was obviously quite biased there with some exaggerations of his weaknesses but they are there. I really do believe I have the considerable tactical advantage and the more balanced team here, which is better set up to win the match despite possessing the less illustrious names.

Anyway initial thoughts guys? I've said everything there is in the OP and will wait for Boris. Quite long but skim through it if you can.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Anyway here is someone who I really expect to thrive along with Schuster.

Brehme was as complete as they come. Shooting, passing, crossing, set pieces, tactical intelligence, tackling, defending and he was literally the most two footed player I've ever seen.

As I stated in my write up, he's one of the 5 full backs ever to finish in a Ballon d'Or top 3 and he also won the Serie A POTY, in a league featuring Maldini, Baresi, Gullit, Matthäus, Rijkaard, and Van Basten as a LB for Christ sake!

Just watch it. The ridiculous bugger had it all. Can hardly think of such an well rounded threat at LB and someone who was an imposing and versatile threat to opponents, bar Facchetti ofc.

His match winning exploits at the WC as a LB were legendary to say the least. Scoring in the 86 semis against France and leading the failed comeback in the final against Argentina, with 2 of his corners resulting in goals. Repeated the feat in 1990 by scoring in the semis against England and topping it off with the WC winning goal in the final. Epic stuff.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@Joga Bonito, not saying you should swap them but would prefer a winger like Czibor in front of Burgnich and an AM like Littbarski in front of Brehme. TBH, considering your midfield, it's more a case of Brehme would be better on the right and a Burgnich being needed on the left, then it would all come together beautifully.

@BorisDeLeFora, you have Socrates and Zico the wrong way around. I suppose you can swap them from their usual but can't see why when it's better to have Zico v Hierro and Socrates v Kohler.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think Joga slightly plays down the width that Socrates and Zico will offer for Boris's team. The former almost played a hybrid role in that Brazilian '82 side as a right sided player, with Eder pulling out the other way. Zico would have no trouble finding pockets of space out wide either, he's probably more natural at doing that than Socrates given his dribbling and burst of agility.

Sheva is the same, I'm not a big fan of Sheva as a lone striker but he was a complete forward at his peak with a tendency to forage out wide for the ball, as he did behind pure #9's at Milan.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito, not saying you should swap them but would prefer a winger like Czibor in front of Burgnich and an AM like Littbarski in front of Brehme.

@BorisDeLeFora, you have Socrates and Zico the wrong way around. I suppose you can swap them from their usual but can't see why when it's better to have Zico v Hierro and Socrates v Kohler.
Yeah I get where you are coming from. Czibor was someone who could bomb up and down the flank single handedly, offering more fluidity and balance to the flank. The same way Jair did for La Grande Inter's right flank as a marauding runner. Brehme, on the other hand, could man the left flank single handedly, allowing Litti more freedom to cut inside and roam from the left.

I did consider it, but how could you say no to the jizzworthy Brehme-Czibor duo :drool::drool:. Besides I think playing with Czibor allows Brehme to flourish more with more freedom to express himself. Expecting him to play a match winning role here (alongside Schuster) as stated in the longass OP.

That is a flank that would singlehandedly win you matches. Esp with only Cafu on the right and not too much support out wide defensively and offensively for him.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think Joga slightly plays down the width that Scorates and Zico will offer for Boris's team. The former almost played a hybrid role in that Brazilian '82 side as a right sided player,
Agreed. These guys esp Socrates were decent out wide but they aren't the type of players you can rely on to properly stretch a defense like a Nedved, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Boniek etc would. Zico and Socrates could venture to the wider channels but they'll ideally wait for support to arrive to link up with before cutting inside. They aren't the type of players who have it in their gameplay to selflessly make decoy runs outside, with the sole purpose of stretching the defense. That is what I meant by an inability to stretch my defense (in the vein a Czibor/Littbarski could), that's not to say that Zico and Socrates are useless out wide, before someone misunderstands me.

As a result, I expect my GOAT defense and midfield to stay compact without being stretched too much and have an excellent chance of keeping their fairly straightforward (but brilliant) attacks at bay.

I also think my multi faceted attack is better set up to stretch his defense and have more joy against his equally GOAT defense (esp with a pretty soft midfield core and two WBs who must bomb forward to provide width, more prone to leaving space for my wing forwards). I do feel my attack faces less resistance than his attack, all things considered.

Last edited:

BorisDeLeFora

Jesus, that's some write up @Joga Bonito , fair play.

Passarella is in midfield for a lot of the reasons Joga pointed out. At this level Gerson and Souness would get run over without extra protection, so instead of Passarella coming out from defence into midfield, he just starts from that position. Now obviously this looks unnatural for him, particularly in a graphic, but his most important role will be sweeping in behind Cafu and Lizarazu. Thus, once the ball goes right he steps accross in behind Cafu, and Souness covers in as the holding midfielder. Now yes there will be times when Passarella may be caught up the pitch, but Souness will have covered in for him in these situations,, so there will always be some protection for my defence, and the variation means that they won't tire as quickly if it was only one for the entire game.

You have a more diverse threat than me, obviously. Suarez especially and Schuster were excellent passers of the ball and your wingers are most certainly gifted dribblers. There's also the option for Hierro to rake balls into the corners for them, and Brehme carrying it out of defence. So the key for me s to hope that Souness and Gerson can somehow curb the influence of your two playmakers and instruct Socrates to try and cover for Hierro. He may not be a workhorse but he certainly would have the intelligence to show your players where I want the ball to go; Mascherano. Now, I personally think Mascherano's ability on the ball is very under rated, but in this class it's not up to scratch. There's not a whole lot I can do (again) about Brehme, however once he gets to a certain point he will have Passarella to deal with in a supporting defensive role.

Socrates and Zico are reprising their roles from the 82 world cup as Theon mentioned. Socrates in general needed a bit of freedom in order to impact the game, and Zico accepted that and drifted into areas toward the right side in order to make his own space, so it's not entirely fair to say that Cafu will be on his own out there.

Shevchenko is probably the only attacker I have with the speed to take advantage of the relatively slow Hierro and Kohler yes, but with the passers I have in behind him I believe there will be one or two occasions at least where they can slip him through. I do however think that Socrates also offers some kind of threat in this regard. He was a player who was capable of breaking the defensive line from time to time and get a goal, case e.g.:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Zico's lightening turn and pass is fantastic in that Socrates goal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Tough game to call for me this, I dislike both the strikers in this match up. @Joga Bonito I would normally vote for you here but something about Boris's side here just makes me excited and it is his midfield.. it just looks so rock solid for a magic square, I am not usually a fan of them but I see this one working. As for his lack of width, he has brilliant full backs and Shevchenko for all his faults, is good at running the channels and supplying width to a narrow side which will allow runners from deep.

I am open to changing my mind here though.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Jesus, that's some write up @Joga Bonito , fair play.

Passarella is in midfield for a lot of the reasons Joga pointed out. At this level Gerson and Souness would get run over without extra protection, so instead of Passarella coming out from defence into midfield, he just starts from that position. Now obviously this looks unnatural for him, particularly in a graphic, but his most important role will be sweeping in behind Cafu and Lizarazu. Thus, once the ball goes right he steps accross in behind Cafu, and Souness covers in as the holding midfielder. Now yes there will be times when Passarella may be caught up the pitch, but Souness will have covered in for him in these situations,, so there will always be some protection for my defence, and the variation means that they won't tire as quickly if it was only one for the entire game.

You have a more diverse threat than me, obviously. Suarez especially and Schuster were excellent passers of the ball and your wingers are most certainly gifted dribblers. There's also the option for Hierro to rake balls into the corners for them, and Brehme carrying it out of defence. So the key for me s to hope that Souness and Gerson can somehow curb the influence of your two playmakers and instruct Socrates to try and cover for Hierro. He may not be a workhorse but he certainly would have the intelligence to show your players where I want the ball to go; Mascherano. Now, I personally think Mascherano's ability on the ball is very under rated, but in this class it's not up to scratch. There's not a whole lot I can do (again) about Brehme, however once he gets to a certain point he will have Passarella to deal with in a supporting defensive role.

Socrates and Zico are reprising their roles from the 82 world cup as Theon mentioned. Socrates in general needed a bit of freedom in order to impact the game, and Zico accepted that and drifted into areas toward the right side in order to make his own space, so it's not entirely fair to say that Cafu will be on his own out there.

Shevchenko is probably the only attacker I have with the speed to take advantage of the relatively slow Hierro and Kohler yes, but with the passers I have in behind him I believe there will be one or two occasions at least where they can slip him through. I do however think that Socrates also offers some kind of threat in this regard. He was a player who was capable of breaking the defensive line from time to time and get a goal, case e.g.:

Fair enough but that highlighted bit is hard for me to buy tbh. Gerson was always a fairly static player and is ill suited to the role off the ball. It just leaves Souness overburdened, especially with 2 attacking mids who won't contribute much defensively.

You do have Passarella but he needs to stay back and maintain the shape as much as he can here, since both Cafu and Lizarazu need to bomb forward frequently to provide the much needed width. As stated in the OP, he can do both but not to the extent both require in this context imho.

Tough game to call for me this, I dislike both the strikers in this match up. @Joga Bonito I would normally vote for you here but something about Boris's side here just makes me excited and it is his midfield.. it just looks so rock solid for a magic square, I am not usually a fan of them but I see this one working. As for his lack of width, he has brilliant full backs and Shevchenko for all his faults, is good at running the channels and supplying width to a narrow side which will allow runners from deep.

I am open to changing my mind here though.
It is a midfield that would be sensational on the ball but it is a stretch to call them rock solid to be brutally honest.

Hmm, just visualise Gerson instead of Falcao for the midfield in Bra 82. On the ball it would still be carnival football which anyone would love to watch. Off the ball it will lose shape and be fairly leaky due to Gerson's lack of dynamism and defensive ability. You could replace any of the other 3 midfielders with a less dynamic and ill suited player and get away with it. Not Falcao. He was the player who held it all together and truly made it function tactically.

I could have seen a Van Hangem pulling it off or even a lesser talented but more dynamic and defensively sound player. Not a static midfield playmaker like Gerson for that immensely physically and tactically exacting role.

Keep in mind that BorisDeLeFora is playing a sort of 5 at the back formation with Passarella dropping back. This actually increases the demand on Gerson more as he has to play more of a shuttling role, covering for WBs and what nots. I have gone into detail on this in my 2nd point in the OP.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Zico's lightening turn and pass is fantastic in that Socrates goal.
Even more so, considering that Gentile was on him with his killingman-marking mission. Sublime :drool:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Why, Jogo voted for Boris?
He voted for me first and it was only right that I returned that courtesy :p.

Anyway those votes are redundant and just a bit of tongue in cheek Mani. I do love my team though :lol:. You must be wondering after that tongue in cheek overrated post I made about my team in the main thread.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Want to vote for joga but zico and socrates :/
2 players you can never tire of watching really. They will be fantastic on the ball, no doubt. However, my compact GOAT defense and midfield is well set up to contain them, whilst my team is better set up tactically (imo at least) to take advantage of his slight tactical imperfections and outscore them.

Try to read my entire write up if you haven't already and if you have the time. If you still feel like voting for Socrates & Zico then fair enough, I can understand. If I was a neutral, I would find it pretty hard to vote against Passarella, Gerson, Socrates and Zico as well but I hope voters view it from a tactical view point as well.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Anyway I'll leave you all to feast on the awesome Littbarski. Well worth the watch, regardless of who you are voting for.

Notice his absurd close control dribbling in the tightest and most crowded of places; pace which allows him to drive forward from deep whilst also allowing him to tap the ball past defenders and outpace them; his 2 footedness when it comes to dribbling, shooting and passing, in combination with his invaluable ability to operate from the centre or either flank.

Doesn't fully portray his goalscoring prowess and his crossing/passing ability though, being a dribbling compilation. He even functioned as more of a playmaker in his latter years when his legs started to go.

Sensational player and a jaw dropping magician

MJJ

2 players you can never tire of watching really. They will be fantastic on the ball, no doubt. However, my compact GOAT defense and midfield is well set up to contain them, whilst my team is better set up tactically (imo at least) to take advantage of his slight tactical imperfections and outscore them.

Try to read my entire write up if you haven't already and if you have the time. If you still feel like voting for Socrates & Zico then fair enough, I can understand. If I was a neutral, I would find it pretty hard to vote against Passarella, Gerson, Socrates and Zico as well but I hope voters view it from a tactical view point as well.
This one is a toughie since I can see the amount of effort you have put it so don't want to vote because of favouring a particular footballer.

Will think about it a bit more and vote tomorrow morning.

Mani

He voted for me first and it was only right that I returned that courtesy :p.

Anyway those votes are redundant and just a bit of tongue in cheek Mani. I do love my team though :lol:. You must be wondering after that tongue in cheek overrated post I made about my team in the main thread.
First i thought was it a mistake take that you had voted,I dont see those post as overrated,instead i love to read especially when you read something new

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I remember had this on all time draft, and few posters were bitching about having 2 AM/SS behind one:

Shevchenko

Baggio--------Maradona​

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I suppose the problem with that duo is that Baggio would cut inside onto his right and Maradona inside onto his left, and they'd clash in the same area.

antohan

@Joga Bonito, not saying you should swap them but would prefer a winger like Czibor in front of Burgnich and an AM like Littbarski in front of Brehme. TBH, considering your midfield, it's more a case of Brehme would be better on the right and a Burgnich being needed on the left, then it would all come together beautifully.

Still can only see these two issues when I look at the teamsheets, just in a more detailed way:

@Joga Bonito has a more advanced Schuster than Suárez now, which further compounds that you want a Czibor on the right and Littbarski to shift left and out of Schuster's (and Brehme's) way. I agree Brehme-Czibor makes for a brilliant flank, but so does Brehme-Littbarski.

@BorisDeLeFora should actually get the mirror image of that square in play, because you also want Gerson behind Sócrates and Souness behind Zico. Furthermore, you want Souness on Schuster more so than on Luis Suarez (who may be better dealt with by the combined -limited- work of Gerson and Socrates as he adopts deeper or more advanced positions).

I thought this would be an easy vote for Joga for me, but Boris' improvement has been remarkable. I thought he was lightyears behind from the rest of the quarterfinalists going into the reinforcements, but it has all come together very nicely.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I suppose the problem with that duo is that Baggio would cut inside onto his right and Maradona inside onto his left, and they'd clash in the same area.
See Robben and Ribery. Do you think if Vidic and Rio swap position, they'd clash making tackles and defending in the same area?

Although Yeah, that could happen...
if we play with two balls!!

Last edited:

NoPace

I remember had this on all time draft, and few posters were bitching about having 2 AM/SS behind one:

Shevchenko

Baggio--------Maradona​
I had people complain about Cristiano-Baggio-Messi not being a perfect fit as a front 3. The only safe thing in a draft here are 2 chalk on the boot wingers.

NoPace

A narrow team will lead to crosses which will lead to a Vieri goal. But I'm not voting on account of not having seen lots of pivotal figures in this game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I had people complain about Cristiano-Baggio-Messi not being a perfect fit as a front 3. The only safe thing in a draft here are 2 chalk on the boot wingers.
That is more insane.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Still can only see these two issues when I look at the teamsheets, just in a more detailed way:

@Joga Bonito has a more advanced Schuster than Suárez now, which further compounds that you want a Czibor on the right and Littbarski to shift left and out of Schuster's (and Brehme's) way. I agree Brehme-Czibor makes for a brilliant flank, but so does Brehme-Littbarski.

@BorisDeLeFora should actually get the mirror image of that square in play, because you also want Gerson behind Sócrates and Souness behind Zico. Furthermore, you want Souness on Schuster more so than on Luis Suarez (who may be better dealt with by the combined -limited- work of Gerson and Socrates as he adopts deeper or more advanced positions).

I thought this would be an easy vote for Joga for me, but Boris' improvement has been remarkable. I thought he was lightyears behind from the rest of the quarterfinalists going into the reinforcements, but it has all come together very nicely.
:(.
A narrow team will lead to crosses which will lead to a Vieri goal. But I'm not voting on account of not having seen lots of pivotal figures in this game.
Fair enough. Always knew the likes of Schuster, Suarez, Czibor might potentially cost me some votes but I wouldn't have it any other way.

antohan

Won't be around again before the end, so guess I'll have to go with Joga.

The swapping I mentioned above would have made a significant difference: while Zico exploits Hierro's weaknesses, Socrates plays to his strengths. I can see Mascherano focusing on Zico, while Hierro can come forth and pick up Socrates outside the box, safe in the knowledge Burgnich has his back. With Zico that would be a pointless and dangerous exercise, but with Socrates it should be effective and recovering is possible.

As it stands, I can see Joga dealing with Boris'threat reasonably well. At the other end, Boris has an excellent defence and, so long as Passarella comes forward to pick up Schuster (Gerson sure won't stop him), it is all largely well accounted for on the left and centrally. His right side is a problem though, good as Cafú was, he won't cope with Czibor and Brehme and that means crosses coming in all day long. A dangerous proposition with Vieri in the box, the record scorer of headed goals in Serie A history.

That's the easiest path to goal on the pitch, a bit boring, but effective and enough to see Joga go through.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
See Robben and Ribery. Do you think if Vidic and Rio swap position, they'd clash making tackles and defending in the same area?

Although Yeah, that could happen...
if we play with two balls!!
Robben and Ribery aren't 10s like Baggio and Maradona.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Slight tactical tweak and a jersey swap to confuse Boris's team :p. @Skizzo @Balu

Thanks to antohan for the suggestion

Czibor moves to the right and whilst he doesn't have a brilliant attacking threat like Brehme behind him, he gets to assume more responsibility on the right. With Burgnich as the defensive tucked in RB, Czibor can commandeer the right flank as he likes, a role he singlehandedly played to perfection for the Migty Magyars. He offers more fluidity with his style being more winger (up and down) like than Littbarski despite being capable of cutting in and scoring a goal himself (as his 1 in 2 record for Barça-Honvéd-Hungary and this spectacular goal will demonstrate).

Whilst Brehme doesn't have the Mighty Magyar to link up with, he will adapt his game and will thrive alongside his fellow WC winning German. Littbarski cutting in and his mazy dribbling at pace will pull players out of position and leave more space for Brehme, which just screams for an inch perfect delivery to Vieri's head or a blistering 30 yarder into the top corner.

Just fantastic to have two wingers and a LB who are genuinely two footed, versatile and bloody complete.