Sheffield United's 3-5-2 'Overlapping Centre-backs" Approach

redIndianDevil

Great job. Another example to show you don't need world class players in every position to be a half decent team just a manager who knows how to coach a side.

starman

Wilder has a very good record of having managed 5 clubs yet has never been sacked from any of them

DVG7

Watched them for 96 minutes versus Spurs and this approach works really well. Looks like every player has bought into the managers approach. They are a deadly goalscorer away from being a permanent top half team IMO, it's very difficult to deal with them when they have possession and all of a sudden a big burly centre half starts sprinting down the wing to create an overload.

Holocene

Do the Ole in crowd think Sheffield United have better players than we do?

Walters_19_MuFc

They play some wonderful football. Big credit to Wilder. I'm really dreading playing them. They have runners from everywhere. Hopefully however, that will mean us being able to catch them on the counter with our pace in the front areas.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
From MOTD it looked like they absolutely dominated Spurs.

Can't help but be very impressed

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Wilder has a very good record of having managed 5 clubs yet has never been sacked from any of them
Have you watched his interviews ??
I'm pretty certain no-one has the balls to sack him.
He is one loose cannon.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're taking advantage of the modern football trend of focusing on the central areas of the pitch instead of the wings, especially on defence. Their main tactical wrinkle with the overlapping CBs is about creating constant numerical superiority down the wings, while keeping the centre covered in case they lose the ball. It's an approach that requires teams to do something completely different defensively than what they do most of the time. Hence why it works

Mind you, they're also just really well coached in general. But it will be interesting to see what they do once opponents start adapting their tactics to them

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The number of times I've heard "they aren't pretty" and "they are basic" is an insult to my intelligence. They are a great watch, I honestly don't think these pundits even watch them.

arnie_ni

So, someone sent me this link yesterday demonstrating Sheffield United utilising two outside CB's overlapping down the wings in order to create overloads in the field. Quite odd, really, but fascinating.
Chris Wilder is the coach who's taken them from League One to second place in the Championship and pushing for automatic promotion.

I can't embed the video due to it not being Youtube. Here's the link, however, with the video contained within.

https://www.footballdna.co.uk/featu...pOjhzkO61QTxzpKS3tEBnuRpDmw0Z9QfEBVHS3l1lt6b4
I know its only a 5 minute video but that lcb o'Connell looks a baller. Is he any good?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Both Sheffield United and Leicester look organized and almost every player knows where to be and what to. Players constantly moves around and that gives them several passing opportunities.

I admire Chris Wilder and Brendan Rodgers tactical approach and the way they set up their teams. Looks good on the eyes and it’s so far also effective. They seems to know what they want and how the get the players to execute their instructions.

Against better teams I think we should use 352 with Pogba as the attacking mid and Rashford and Martial up front until we buy a quality dm to anchor our midfield.

Edit. Leicester don’t use a 352 formation but they are very well organized.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I know its only a 5 minute video but that lcb o'Connell looks a baller. Is he any good?
He’s phenomenal. How he’s not in the England squad is laughable. Keane, Mings and even Tomori who has only appeared recently are ahead of him for some reason. Southgate has watched us enough times this season to see he’s solid. Could just be because of the system he’s playing in here, Southgate might be wary of putting him in a back four but he’s been comfortable there when we’ve had to play it.

arnie_ni

He’s phenomenal. How he’s not in the England squad is laughable. Keane, Mings and even Tomori who has only appeared recently are ahead of him for some reason. Southgate has watched us enough times this season to see he’s solid. Could just be because of the system he’s playing in here, Southgate might be wary of putting him in a back four but he’s been comfortable there when we’ve had to play it.
Southgate plays we 3 at the back sure? Or has he gone to a back 4 again?

He's a left footer (from that video) so he would slot into lcb of a 3 and allow maguire to shift to the middle.

Has he any pace? Id definitely be looking at him for utd of ole sees this 3 at the back as a long term plan

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United

He's a left footer (from that video) so he would slot into lcb of a 3 and allow maguire to shift to the middle.

Has he any pace? Id definitely be looking at him for utd of ole sees this 3 at the back as a long term plan
I’m not sure tbh, not watched England for a while. It’d be great to have a Blade in the England squad but at the same time, he’d get poached by one of the top 6. He’s not rapid but he’s got enough in him to run laps of the pitch to join in attacks. Him alongside Egan and Basham have been rock solid and a large percentage of goals we’ve conceded this season have just come down to individual errors.

I’ve just noticed there’s a match day thread for our game now and I’m already nervous, shame I can’t post in it though.

Reactions: Jippy

paulscholes18

Don’t think England have played with a back 3 since the World Cup, been 4-3-3

Pagh Wraith

The Blades achieved promotion by taking high-quality shots from close range and restricting their opponents to speculative shots. They were slow, but engineered overloads and mismatches in open play (overlapping centre-backs, anyone?) and on set pieces. Something would have to give when transposing much of the same ageing squad to the Premier League, the assumption went, but what?

The Premier League version of Sheffield United have retained the focus on shot quality. In fact, only Manchester City’s shots are of a higher average quality.
Full article: https://statsbomb.com/2019/11/sheffield-united-are-an-unconventional-success-story/

The other article linked in the quote is well worth reading as well to understand what Wilder has been doing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mate of mine, enda, plays left back for them, becoming an integral part of their system
He's done very well, pleased for him.

We (Villa) took him from league of Ireland in early 2012. I remember hoping he could be our Seamus Coleman. Didn't work out due to us being a mess in those times. Think he actually made his debut for us v Man. United at home and played the odd game here and there. Had to go down the leagues to Notts County and Pompey to work his way back again and he's done it brilliantly.

Gasolin

The patterns?
It's kind of direct, deviation to the wings, and when the player on the side goes up, 3 players in the box, one to the first post, one at the penalty spot, one to the second post, yeah well, it seems nothing revolutionary but I suppose we will have to play them to see how that works out.

sherrinford

It's kind of direct, deviation to the wings, and when the player on the side goes up, 3 players in the box, one to the first post, one at the penalty spot, one to the second post, yeah well, it seems nothing revolutionary but I suppose we will have to play them to see how that works out.
The clip was of one attacking sequence, it’s impossible to identify a pattern of play from that surely?

Gasolin

The clip was of one attacking sequence, it’s impossible to identify a pattern of play from that surely?
Surely, but he mentions patterns and asks us to watch the clip, so I suppose that's the only pattern you can see.

LVGSdive

I would be happy with a draw against them this weekend from what I have seen from Sheffield United so far this season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, this is the only way to properly call a formation a 3-5-2. If the right and left CB's aren't overlapping then it is a 5-3-2 no matter how you try and pretend that the FB's are WB's...

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
He's done very well, pleased for him.

We (Villa) took him from league of Ireland in early 2012. I remember hoping he could be our Seamus Coleman. Didn't work out due to us being a mess in those times. Think he actually made his debut for us v Man. United at home and played the odd game here and there. Had to go down the leagues to Notts County and Pompey to work his way back again and he's done it brilliantly.
100% couldnt happen to a nicer lad, was delivering pizzas not too long ago

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As a neutral I love watching them play, impressive once again bar them getting really nervous when Williams scored. Lost their composure for five minutes and Man. United played like peak Fergie years going forward.

El Zoido

They’re so amazing they couldn’t even beat this garbage United side.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
They threw that away, they were well on top at two nil then sat deep thinking it was won. Lucky to get a point at the end, looking forward to next weeks game now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They threw that away, they were well on top at two nil then sat deep thinking it was won. Lucky to get a point at the end, looking forward to next weeks game now.
I think for probably first time this season Wilder got his subs wrong (even though McBurnie scored). After Mousset got muscle injury they lost any pace upfront so no out ball, surprised he didn't put Robinson on at that point who is pretty quick.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I think for probably first time this season Wilder got his subs wrong (even though McBurnie scored). After Mousset got muscle injury they lost any pace upfront so no out ball, surprised he didn't put Robinson on at that point who is pretty quick.
Robinson may be quick but his work rate is questionable. Very half hearted whenever he’s played.