Shooting in Dublin

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Breaking:
Mountview Dublin 15
Some guy shot his brother. Police arrived. Shot 2 cops. They are lying in the street and people can’t get to them as he’s still shooting. Crazy

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
What leads you to believe the regular Guards would all need to carry guns?
They don't. Armed garda were on site within 5 minutes. Which is quicker than the lads in blanch would have been.

Withnail

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Regular cops having pistols is not a solely American phenomenon. Regular cops being better armed than some small country militaries is, though.
As an aside. I was 21 when I first saw a regular cop hold a gun. I nearly got myself into trouble by going for a piss in Beauvais airport and leaving my bag at the bar.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I like Dalkey. The rest of it is rubbish alright.

Let’s all move to Dalkey. Anyone have €20m they can spare?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
yeah its not Murica but the way things are going they may have to
Dublin has had three gangland style murders since January 2020. I wonder what the stats are in your average American city of 1.5 million over the same 16 month period?

Well police in Europe carry firearms not only the states, canada, etc
Yeah most countries in Europe do. Here even rent-a-cops are armed. I'm a little surprised Irish police aren't considering the last 50 years across the border.

Withnail

Yeah most countries in Europe do. Here even rent-a-cops are armed. I'm a little surprised Irish police aren't considering the last 50 years across the border.
You probably don't have an accurate view of what it was like living in the Republic at that time. It wouldn't really impact on daily life in Dublin, for example, apart from obvious concern about friends or family living up there.

It certainly never necessitated all of the police in the country to be armed. To me it's better to only have highly trained armed units who can attend these types of incident rather than giving a gun to every person who comes out of the academy.

The Firestarter

It certainly never necessitated all of the police in the country to be armed. To me it's better to only have highly trained armed units who can attend these types of incident rather than giving a gun to every person who comes out of the academy.
I am not aware of your gun laws , but I'd presume its very hard for an average citizen to obtain one ?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
After? It kinda always was and that’s it’s charm.

saying that blanchardstown area is obviously one with a lot of drugs and crime
Dublin is one of the world's safest capital cities, so kip is a bit harsh, to be fair. It has dodgy areas like parts of Blanch (not Blanch as a whole) but where doesn't?

Massive Spanner

I am not aware of your gun laws , but I'd presume its very hard for an average citizen to obtain one ?
Pretty much, farmers are the exception. Sadly with the rise of drugs here the illegal gun trade has become more common, though. There are likely much more firearms here now than .. say.. 20 years ago, but gun crime is still extremely low even by western standards.

Withnail

You can get a rifle or a shotgun for hunting or target shooting and need a licence from the Police. I think you also need to prove you've permission to shoot somewhere as well. Personal protection is not a valid reason.

I think it's quite difficult now to get a handgun licence. Ordinary people just don't tend to have guns here. My Da had a rifle and a shotgun years ago but I don't know anyone who owns a gun at the moment.

The Firestarter

Pretty much, farmers are the exception. Sadly with the rise of drugs here the illegal gun trade has become more common, though. There are likely much more firearms here now than .. say.. 20 years ago, but gun crime is still extremely low even by western standards.
You can get a rifle or a shotgun for hunting or target shooting and need a licence from the Police. I think you also need to prove you've permission to shoot somewhere as well. Personal protection is not a valid reason.

I think it's quite difficult now to get a handgun licence. Ordinary people just don't tend to have guns here. My Da had a rifle and a shotgun years ago but I don't know anyone who owns a gun at the moment.
In such circumstances it absolutely makes sense to keep most of the police unarmed. Are they allowed stun guns or similar?

Massive Spanner

In such circumstances it absolutely makes sense to keep most of the police unarmed. Are they allowed stun guns or similar?
Why? Garda in Ireland very rarely have to deal with people with guns and if they do there is an armed response unit that can be on the scene really quickly. It's actually a policy that most people in Ireland respect and like, if they were to start arming Garda, people wouldn't be happy at all.

As pointed out above Garda shootings are incredibly rare here, to the point that when they do happen it makes headlines for days and huge funerals and mourning takes place, so it's not like them not having guns is causing deaths, if anything, it probably prevents it.