Books Short story feedback, please

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
'Sup nerds. I'm looking to enter a short story into a competition. I only learned of the competition a few hours ago and it has some weird rules: must be under 1k words, must have something to do with quantum mechanics and must contain a certain phrase (brownie points if anyone can guess which phrase in the story is the one I had to include).

Normally I would leave the story for a week and then revisit it myself with fresh eyes, but the deadline is in two days so I need outside opinions. Nothing too in-depth, just any parts you didn't like, any parts that were confusing- or was the plot too easy to work out? Did you see it coming from a mile away and not feel inclined to keep reading? The working title is 'All the time we have' but I also don't know if I like that.

It should be a very quick read.

Thanks muchly.

“Hey, did I ever tell you how the world is made up of the five '-ons'?”

I sighed. I’d heard this a thousand times over; knew what was coming next.

“Protons, neutrons, electrons- and morons!” Grandpa finished, right on cue, just as the first rays of daylight began to leak through the small garage windows. “Those that don’t believe in the magic of the first three undoubtedly fall under the fourth!”

“I know that, grandpa. You’ve— wait! That’s only four. What’s the fifth?”

“Why, that’s the most important of all! The '-on' that really makes the world go round,”

“What is it?” I pressed excitedly; I’d never heard this version before.

Grandpa looked at me, before taking a big bite of his lunch. “Bacon!” he declared with a wink.

I groaned. Not quite the breakthrough I was hoping for. “Just terrible,” I mumbled.

He smiled, showing me a mouthful of his sandwich. “Did I tell you about the wave—”

“Yes, Grandpa,”

That puzzled him; wrinkles deepening on a face already worn and made loose by time. “What about—”

“I’ve heard that too, Grandpa.” I probably sounded ungrateful, irritable. He didn’t understand, I knew that. But if he did, I’m sure he would forgive me.

Muttering under his breath, he turned back to his project. I closed my eyes. The sunlight was slowly moving, and I could feel it fall across my shoes. The timing seemed wrong. It was too soon. Something was different this time. Was it the bacon joke? Despite my doubts, I could feel a small spark of hope begin to grow. The joke was new, and any new event had to mean progress.

It just had to.

I opened my eyes. Grandpa was fiddling away with tools and implements. I made my slow way over to him, tapping my fingers against his workbench. In response he shooed his fingers at me; his way of saying ‘stop doing that’. As he did so, his watch caught the coffee cup perched on the table edge. It wobbled and then tumbled. My hand flashed out, catching it a foot from the floor.

Grandpa’s eyes widened; his mouth opened.

“How’d I do that?” I asked before he could. “Maybe I’m a Jedi!”

He laughed. “Thank you. That cup was—”

“Grandma’s,” I finished. “She gave it to you for your first anniversary. You were poor at the time and weren’t expecting anything, but she had secretly saved her waitress tips to buy it.”

He frowned. “I’ve told you that story before, huh?”

“Something like that,” I mumbled. I was being unfair. Kissing the top of his bald head, I said, “love you grandpa.”

“Love you too, kiddo.”

I knew the gesture was worthless. He wouldn’t remember it. I would though, and it made me feel slightly better. The ray of sunlight was widening, and it seemed all the dust particles in the world had assembled inside it. It was strangely beautiful to watch the flakes twist and swirl within the light; almost as if they were looking to escape.

I knew how they felt.

The scene should have been relaxing; instead it was a reminder time was running out. It would happen soon. And, as I’d found countless times- there was nothing I could do. I picked up a heavy book: The Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

I’d read that thing from cover to cover a dozen times, yet it seemed I knew less now than when I started. What I needed was Quantum Mechanics for Dummies or, How Not to be a Dummy, for Dummies. I laughed at my own joke, but it was a laugh filled with little humor. More of a cackle, really.

Fortunately, Grandpa was too busy humming away to hear it, or he might have been concerned for my sanity. Though at least he wouldn’t have been for long. About four more minutes, if my guess was right.

Unless the bacon joke really had changed something.

Grandpa’s hum was joined by a familiar vibrating sound as his machine whirred to life.

Three more minutes, then.

“Kiddo! Come. I think I may have cracked it!”

Not likely, but I kept the thought to myself. Resting my hands on the back of his chair, I stared down at the transparent polycarbonate box. It was the size of a shoebox and contained the life’s work of a great mind. Two gravity coils burst into life, powered by a much larger liquid thorium fluoride reactor of Grandpa’s own design.

Two minutes…

Grandpa jumped up so fast his chair fell back. I was already bracing for the sound of the heavy steel cannoning against the old concrete floor. It hit with a clatter that was drowned out by Grandpa’s yell, “It’s working! Can you believe it?”

I could. It was tough to feign surprise and excitement after the hundredth time. Or was it the thousandth? Who could say. Time is relative, after all.

As the gravity inside the box began to decrease and weaken, so too did the time around it begin to speed up and distort. I watched as a fresh yellow banana quickly began to blacken and die inside the apparatus.

One…

“It’s a miracle! Do you have any idea what we’ve done here?”

I didn’t. But then nor did he.

“Now, watch as we increase the gravity!” Grandpa shouted, turning a dial slowly. I resigned myself to letting him do it. The first ten times I’d stopped him. The next ten I’d even turned it myself; left, right, up, down. Nothing had made any difference. But maybe the bacon joke had changed something…

Zero.

There was a bright flash. The world around wavered as reality began to melt. I was thrown backward…

And then I was on my feet again.

“Hey, did I ever tell you how the world is made up of the five '-ons'?”

I could have sobbed. The first rays of sunlight trickled into the garage.

Things used to be so simple— before my grandpa broke time.

Last edited:

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I liked that. I don't have much else to add, sorry, but it was nice.

I must be part of the fourth group of -ons though, as I can't seem to see how there are 6 -ons?

SmashedHombre

I must be part of the fourth group of -ons though, as I can't seem to see how there are 6 -ons?
Oops! Yeah, that's supposed to read five. I deleted the number 5 to replace it with the word and apparently wrote six instead. Nice catch, thanks!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Glad you said it. I re-read the first few lines looking for the other ‘on’ and can’t work it out and assumed it was my own stupidly

But it’s a very nice story. Really well written. Well done author

BD

Oops! Yeah, that's supposed to read five. I deleted the number 5 to replace it with the word and apparently wrote six instead. Nice catch, thanks!
Ah right, good stuff.

Good luck with it!

SmashedHombre

Glad you said it. I re-read the first few lines looking for the other ‘on’ and can’t work it out and assumed it was my own stupidly

But it’s a very nice story. Really well written. Well done author
Yeah I think I had a brain fast (that's the quantum mechanical term for it btw). I've edited it now. Thanks for the feedback- glad you enjoyed it!

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Really enjoyed that read can't find anything to pick holes, bravo to yourself. Although I can't decide if I prefer the use of grandad/ grandfather or grandpa but that's just me.

SmashedHombre

Really enjoyed that read can't find anything to pick holes, bravo to yourself. Although I can't decide if I prefer the use of grandad/ grandfather or grandpa but that's just me.
Yeah I dunno either. What's the Americanism? I would normally say grandad but these things are always judged by Americans so I try to use American words and spellings.

DVG7

I opened my eyes. Grandpa was fiddling away with tools and implements. I made my slow way over to him, tapping my fingers against his workbench. In response he shooed his fingers at me; his way of saying ‘stop doing that’. As he did so, his watch caught the coffee cup perched on the table edge. It wobbled and then tumbled. My hand flashed out, catching it a foot from the floor.
This segment is open to all sorts of interpretation!

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
You know what, I could actually feel the dynamic of the relationship between grandson/grandfather. You did a good job with that. At first I thought it was going to be about him having dementia/Alzheimer's but for such a short story, it took a good sharp turn. The whole thing, it actually felt like the first chapter of what would be a good book. I enjoyed that. You should continue that story, if you can.

As for the phrase, I'm going with; The Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

RK

Can you whitetext us the phrase? Might have a bearing on how well the story will be received.

I enjoyed it anyway.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Really enjoyed it, didn't see the end coming until a couple of sentences before, though once I realised what was going on all the pointers were suddenly very clear. No idea what the sentence was, as a guess I'm going for "Time is relative, after all."

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Loved it.
My grandfather had dementia, and I like the thought he was maybe a time traveler too.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Excellent read, Smashed. Think you should expand on this further as your next project. This makes for a really enticing first chapter.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yeah I dunno either. What's the Americanism? I would normally say grandad but these things are always judged by Americans so I try to use American words and spellings.
I get what you're saying, you're dumbing it down for them, all joking aside its a good piece of writing.

SmashedHombre

You know what, I could actually feel the dynamic of the relationship between grandson/grandfather. You did a good job with that. At first I thought it was going to be about him having dementia/Alzheimer's but for such a short story, it took a good sharp turn. The whole thing, it actually felt like the first chapter of what would be a good book. I enjoyed that. You should continue that story, if you can.

As for the phrase, I'm going with; The Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

The Alzheimers thing was where I wanted the reader to go with it, so I'm glad you picked up on it. Thanks! If it doesn't win I'd like to turn it into a novella actually. I have an idea of where I want to take it. If it does win though then I will no longer have any rights to the story.

Was there anything that made you think the grandkid was a boy? I was trying to keep the gender ambiguous.

Can you whitetext us the phrase? Might have a bearing on how well the story will be received.

I enjoyed it anyway.
The phrase was
Things used to be so simple
I'm glad nobody picked up on it, I didn't want it to seem crowbarred in.

BD

I also imagined it as being a boy. Probably because most stories of granddad - grandkid interactions, especially when concerned with 'garage' science, are with a grandson.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Not only is the writing good but the theme and sentiments are, I think, deeper than appear at first glance. Excellent.

Edit: It's actually better than my inelegant review suggests, in fact.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That was great, kept me hooked just to find out what the feck was up. Hat's off to you and your grampa.

SmashedHombre

That was great, kept me hooked just to find out what the feck was up. Hat's off to you and your grampa.
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Not only is the writing good but the theme and sentiments are, I think, deeper than appear at first glance. Excellent.

Edit: It's actually better than my inelegant review suggests, in fact.
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Especially coming from a published author! I was happy with it, but still not too confident in my writing. I think I'm improving daily, though.

If the story doesn't win then I'll very likely continue it. And as I've only just read that it actually goes to a public vote, I'm feeling a lot less confident!

Depressing lack of gay aliens.
Oh, they're there. You just have to read between the lines.

Reading it again, no. I'm ashamed to admit I just assumed it was a male, probably due to it being about quantum mechanics and the relative lack of females in the STEM field.
I also imagined it as being a boy. Probably because most stories of granddad - grandkid interactions, especially when concerned with 'garage' science, are with a grandson.
This is probably true. When I first wrote it I realised I'd made the lead a boy and quickly decided to change that as gender wasn't important to the story. I also think people tend to imagine protagonists to be like themselves until they get more details from the writer. I'm curious if any women readers pictured the main character as a girl.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Could you please tell us (in spoilers, perhaps) what the solution is? By which I mean, what is actually going on i.e. what has really, happened due to the experiment?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Could you please tell us (in spoilers, perhaps) what the solution is? By which I mean, what is actually going on i.e. what has really, happened due to the experiment?
If in doubt, gayliens did it.