Should football have its version of DRS Zones or Powerplays?

Skills

Snitch
You know to make it more exciting.

Say each manager gets 3 chips of 5 minutes each to play every game. What chips would you have?

1. 12th Man - for 5 minutes you can bring an extra player on the pitch
2. Shifting the goal posts - hitting posts or cross bar now counts as a goal
3. No holds barred - all stoppages go in the favour of the team using the chip. Balls goes out for a goalkick - but as you were using the powerplay, this is now your corner.

Open to more suggestions

Last edited:

My only Eric

Spanking the referee.. No, really!!!

Imagine being able to spank fat moss after another lazy call..

I'll leave the spanking of mike dean to you.

Strats

Wouldn’t surprise me if FIFA or UEFA wanted to implement som sort of feckery like this

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Can’t wait for the VAR checks to determine whether the ball grazed the goalpost on an atomic level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Say each manager gets 3 chips of 5 minutes each to play every game. What chips would you have?

3. No holds barred - all stoppages go in the favour of the team using the chip. Balls goes out for a goalkick - but as you were using the powerplay, this is now your corner.

Open to more suggestions
This would be hilarious. Foul the keeper deliberately. Doesn't matter. Its a pen for me. Karate kick their best player in the head. Doesn't matter. Its a red card for their best player. I'm game. Let's try this.

tomaldinho1

Something they should and could change that it’s ridiculous in my mind would be to make the GK area smaller.

Additionally get a clock timer that counts down around the stadium and then sounds a horn when a keeper picks up the ball to when they have to kick, I swear in the CL we lose so much viewing time with keepers timewasting. Same for throw ins.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Hi Gianni, welcome to Redcafe. I’m glad you’ve sought our advice on how to improve the game. I think you’ll find the football forum, and the match day thread in particular, a rational well balanced place full of considered views. Congratulations on your suggestion, may I also put forward the prospect of cheerleaders, timeouts, goal competitions at half time, an all star game, and special music when the home team are defending?

RomfordRed75

A 10 minute powerplay when United
players could actually be arsed would be a nice start

Skills

Snitch
The Diego - for five minutes you get an angry man in a black suit running up and down the touchline distracting everybody
How about a streaker who gets released onto the pitch for 30 seconds. And whichever player he can tag in that 30 seconds, has to go off the pitch. 0kay continues

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
each manager has a single opportunity per game to shout “sssssshhhhhoooooorrrrrrtttttttssssssss dddddddooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnnnn” once shorts down has been called, the entire opposition team must stop still and remove their shorts. they are out of the game until their short are off. this would mean teams would look to purchase players with shorter legs, to minimise the time it took for a player to remove their shorts. it would also settle the messi v ronaldo debate once and for all.

Mike Smalling

The manager should have a direct line to the FIFA president to be able to complain in real time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
The manager should have a direct line to the FIFA president to be able to complain in real time.
that would end in all sorts of confusion. like a goal randomly being given in a world cup final because any of the ball was over the line, rather than all of the ball.

Mike Smalling

that would end in all sorts of confusion. like a goal randomly being given in a world cup final because any of the ball was over the line, rather than all of the ball.
Based on F1, I would say the hilarity would make up for it. Can’t you just imagine hearing Southgate’s desperate complaining as his dreams are crushed in real time?

R'hllor

For the moment i thought this thread was created by that other guy.

Roane

The fans get given some sort of device they can press if they are bored with their team.

The number is on a big screen. If it hits 70% the manager gets a kick in the gonads

mjstokes85

What's always struck me as odd is that football has no other "format" like many other sports do. Cricket for example has test, one day and T20, all official forms of the game played by the same teams. Tennis has doubles for example. Football has no other official format other than 11 a side. For example a 30 minute each way 5 a side cup.

Abizzz

Open to more suggestions
I'm in favour of executing people who want to change the rules for entertainment. We could have it as the half time show.

That would add some spice.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
4) CEAT strategic timeout, called by a manager when the opposition is on top.

5) SUBWAY smart sub in of a goalkeeper incase the opposition win a penalty.

6) GILLETTE mid game trim of grass on patches that have come off.

... Just NO.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
each manager has a single opportunity per game to shout “sssssshhhhhoooooorrrrrrtttttttssssssss dddddddooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnnnn” once shorts down has been called, the entire opposition team must stop still and remove their shorts. they are out of the game until their short are off. this would mean teams would look to purchase players with shorter legs, to minimise the time it took for a player to remove their shorts. it would also settle the messi v ronaldo debate once and for all.
You've been sitting on this one for a while haven't you?

ariveded

Partially good suggestion. Would love to see additional/removal of 1 player for Extra Time. Brings new tactics, excitement and lowers the probability of PKs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
"No Gianni nooo, it's not right Gianni" cries Klopp as KDB blasts home a last second penalty that was given to City because KDB punched Alisson in the face.