Should Hulk have had a better career?

stu_1992

I never felt he had any real ability beyond a decent shot and obviously he was built like a tank. That was enough to get him by in the weaker leagues, but was never going to translate well in the harder places. I thought he was awful at the 2014 World Cup.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Football at the moment is at a point where it requires a very specific list of criteria for a player to shine, an exceptionally talented individual may win you a few games here and there but in order to get the best out of them the primary requirement is how much the player is ready to push himself. If you’re not going to put in the hard yards and be disciplined tactically, most top flight teams are capable of dealing with a talented player and nullify them more often than not.

Then there’s the coaching aspect, it doesn’t matter how talented a player is, but if the coaching and the system is not going to create situations for them to excel in, they’ll look like any other player on the pitch.

Not every player has all the determination and commitment, coupled with the right manager/setup to get the best out of them.
Hulk is actually a very competitive player: he hates loosing and he works hard, and he even gets sent off . He just chosen money over playing in better clubs. His overall goals and assists are very good in terms of numbers, his Champions/Europe League numbers were also quite solid, and even now he's still performing.

He did the same choice as Óscar.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I never felt he had any real ability beyond a decent shot and obviously he was built like a tank. That was enough to get him by in the weaker leagues, but was never going to translate well in the harder places. I thought he was awful at the 2014 World Cup.
Everyone were awful on that cup. He's a hardworker with plenty of pace and actually his shooting technique will surprise you. In his peak he would easily play at Spurs or Everton.

Mike Smalling

Could certainly have had a more prominent career, but he was never all that. He largely relied on his physical traits.

Just checked his wiki, and apparently he never managed a competitive goal for Brazil. All 11 goals are in friendlies.

kthanksbye

Hulk is actually a very competitive player: he hates loosing and he works hard, and he even gets sent off . He just chosen money over playing in better clubs. His overall goals and assists are very good in terms of numbers, his Champions/Europe League numbers were also quite solid, and even now he's still performing.

He did the same choice as Óscar.
Right. I guess I was just making a broader point about how being talented does not necessarily guarantee a good career. Turns out I missed "selecting the right clubs to play for".

flappyjay

Brazilians that come from very little seem quite content with becoming insanely rich - and I can't say I blame him.

Could he have done more at the top level? sure, will he care about it when he retires swimming in money? probably not.

I do remember back in the day he was heavily linked with a move to Chelsea under AVB I think it was, could have been interesting.
He got loads of money and won caps for Brazil. I think for most Brazilian players that's the dream.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
He would have prospered in Pulis' Stoke or Dyche's Burnley side. He would even have been perfect fit with Wimbledon's Crazy gang.

He was not great. Kinda like Oscar with the added off field bad decisions. Both had decent enough quality to carve out a career in Europe, but chose Chinese money instead.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He got loads of money and won caps for Brazil. I think for most Brazilian players that's the dream.
Yep. Like Oscar and a few others - if you're being offered money far far higher than you'd get anywhere else you'd probably be mad to not take it.

Nobody is guaranteed to win anything even at a top club.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

He was well suited to being a consistent match-winning attacker for a top team in one of the typical bottom half of the top ten coefficient leagues of the time like Porto, Benfica, Zenit, Ajax....He had some great attributes and the relative weaknesses like a low level if off-form, trying too often to do everything himself and sometimes tactical issues off the ball weren't as big an issue as they would have been for an elite club. I think he was a more skillful player than often seems to get credit for, his shooting technique was excellent, not just power even if he was often too greedy with it, and crossing/passing from wide areas were strong. He didn't have great pace imo and was more someone that looked like he should be slow, but was capable of being agile and quick over a few yards, plus strong as hell. If he had the pace of someone like Mbappe, or Robben he could have been a monster

played very bad for brazil, showed how out of place he could look if a system was built around another star attacker and with him as just a hard working role-player doing his part in the collective there, but so did other bigger names during that time, especially at the world cup.

i don't see it as a certainty he would have failed at an elite club, but he would definitely have needed to work on things tactically. A move to a Sevilla, Spurs or maybe Roma, Napoli would have been his best choice after Porto if he had been focused on sporting legacy.

Last edited:

djembatheking

He had a great career, I`m sure there are a few players out there that are green with envy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. Very limited and was easy to stop due to him relying on one move his whole career.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Divorced his wife to marry her niece. Cold bastard.