Should Michael retire?

RUnited

Gold Member
He's won the driver's title 6 times. No one is even close. Kimi and Montoya have also showed they can come close to beating him.

I think he should go out while on top. Like Cantona did.

Will be sad for the sports, but I think it's time we look to future generations. Alonso, Kimi, Montoya will make it tough for Michael next year like they did this year - and perhaps even take the title away from him, which won't look good on Michael's part.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I hope he does,that would be another rival gone for Kimi...

But seriously,he is gonna try for the seventh,but I hope that he won't get it

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
I hope he does,that would be another rival gone for Kimi...

But seriously,he is gonna try for the seventh,but I hope that he won't get it
don't you want Kimi to prove he's really good enough to beat Michael?

The reason I want Michael to retire is because I'm fed up of Bridgestone. They almost costed Ferrari the championship this year because they clearly couldn't match Michenlin on the dry courses..

When I found out that Michelin were using illegal tyres i said to myself "I knew it! Those bastards had something up their sleeves!"

So if the tyres are equal next year, I will hope MS continues on because he's still clearly the man to beat.

But if Bridgestone continues to be inferior then I don't want them to overshadow MS' true ability on the track.

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
don't you want Kimi to prove he's really good enough to beat Michael?

I would prefer if Kimi wins when Michael's still here in the F1 but I think it would be waay easier if MS retires now and Kimi continues,no doubt..

After all,you would hope for the best situation for your favourite driver,wouldn't you?

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
I would prefer if Kimi wins when Michael's still here in the F1 but I think it would be waay easier if MS retires now and Kimi continues,no doubt..

After all,you would hope for the best situation for your favourite driver,wouldn't you?
Of coz I would, but I would be much more proud if he beat the best in the business while becoming World Champion.

Vice Versa I don't want to see MS beat by other drivers. I won't be able to accept defeat and I'm sure he'll be devastated himself. At the moment I blame Michelin for MS winning only 6 races this year. We all know Michelin's been cheating.. but next year will be on equal terms and if Michael isn't really up for it he should retire. If he doesn't have the motivation he should retire.

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
Of coz I would, but I would be much more proud if he beat the best in the business while becoming World Champion.

Vice Versa I don't want to see MS beat by other drivers. I won't be able to accept defeat and I'm sure he'll be devastated himself. At the moment I blame Michelin for MS winning only 6 races this year. We all know Michelin's been cheating.. but next year will be on equal terms and if Michael isn't really up for it he should retire. If he doesn't have the motivation he should retire.
Michelin has been cheating - no one knows,except themselves,so you can't possibly they are cheating or not.

The reason why MS have only won 6 races is that 2002 was the pinnacle,you can't go any higher than that,so it was inevitable,along with the new rules,Ferrari wouldn't dominate the whole season.And they weren't helped by the fact that Gianni Agnelli died and Fiat in trouble,so their budget would be considerably lesser than the previous seasons.

pjaya

can't see him retiring for 2004 tho. Read somewhere that his wife corina (sp?) will not interfere before 2004 season. Anyway with his 6th WDC I do not think there's anyone is capable of beating his record.

I do hope Alonso will do well in 2004. And again the FIA is changing the qualifying format yet again. (it getting like WWE for my liking these FIA morons)

Amir

Why should anyone retire if it's not what he wants? As long as Schumacher still wants to drive he should, even if he risks the possibility of not retiring on an absolute high one day.

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
Michelin has been cheating - no one knows,except themselves,so you can't possibly they are cheating or not.

The reason why MS have only won 6 races is that 2002 was the pinnacle,you can't go any higher than that,so it was inevitable,along with the new rules,Ferrari wouldn't dominate the whole season.And they weren't helped by the fact that Gianni Agnelli died and Fiat in trouble,so their budget would be considerably lesser than the previous seasons.
Michelin was found out the race before Ferrari won - 4 races ago, which one was it i don't remember. Michelin came out to say they will change their tyres, and that's led to the obvious loss of speed from the Michelin-tyred cars.. and Ferrari have won the last 3 races since.. 'nuff said IMO.

I agree with you about Ferrari's budgetting.. teams go in cycle and I don't think Ferrari will be invincible either.. but their top bosses and MS himself signed a contract until 2006. I believe they will fork everything out for the next 3 seasons to keep themselves at the top - or until MS retires atleast.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think Schummi could well end up with 8 or 9 titles at this rate.

None of the drivers can match him given equal cars and I can't see
Ferrari being anything but very competitive come March. :D

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
Michelin was found out the race before Ferrari won - 4 races ago, which one was it i don't remember. Michelin came out to say they will change their tyres, and that's led to the obvious loss of speed from the Michelin-tyred cars.. and Ferrari have won the last 3 races since.. 'nuff said IMO.

I agree with you about Ferrari's budgetting.. teams go in cycle and I don't think Ferrari will be invincible either.. but their top bosses and MS himself signed a contract until 2006. I believe they will fork everything out for the next 3 seasons to keep themselves at the top - or until MS retires atleast.
In fact,Renault went faster,but Williams and to lesser extent,McLaren so no definite answer there.

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
In fact,Renault went faster,but Williams and to lesser extent,McLaren so no definite answer there.
The difference between Renault and other cars are that they have a very dynamic and complete car. Their engine is the old Ferrari and yet they can compete race in race out. Their car is still far from potential and they have been getting faster throughout the year and not because of the tyres.

In any case, the Williams' cars were what concerned Ferrari, and after tyre change it was obvious they went slower and therefore not deserving of a Championship title which proved correctly by the end :)

McClaren on the hand, has a shit car but a great driver in Kimi (just look at Coulthard's stats this year). Their performances have also been dependant on their drivers keeping the cars in the race and Kimi did that perfectly.

Conclusion:

Renault: Excellent car, Excellent driver, poor on speed.

McClaren: Excellent drivers, Shit cars

Williams: Shit without the cheating Michelin tyres. It only has speed, but poor on curves. Without those tyres they suffer on races with a lot of turns and short speed traps. At Indianapolis (the speed trap suited Williams perfectly) I thought MS would lose, but luckily it rained and yet again Williams and Michelin showed they are no match in the rain even on the track that allowed Williams to boast their speed.

Jason F

Hell no, should Fergie retire because we dominate the league? What of Rangers when they won 9 in a row?
Australian cricket team?

There are heaps of examples of teams and people dominating but they dont retire do they? you keep striving and pushing on, break more records etc, you only retire when you no longer desire to win and compete and only Michael knows how he feels about that.

Although if he did retire I would love to see Mark Webber racing in one of the Scarlet demons!

Schumacher is an absolute legend!

RUnited

Gold Member
Jason F said:
Hell no, should Fergie retire because we dominate the league? What of Rangers when they won 9 in a row?
Australian cricket team?

There are heaps of examples of teams and people dominating but they dont retire do they? you keep striving and pushing on, break more records etc, you only retire when you no longer desire to win and compete and only Michael knows how he feels about that.

Although if he did retire I would love to see Mark Webber racing in one of the Scarlet demons!

Schumacher is an absolute legend!
Don't tell me you didn't think for a second that SAF might have retired after winning the treble. It was certainly a very hot question back then. I'm glad he didn't, and am glad that MS has also decided to stay on to race.

Webber is a pretty good driver I think, but he will have to do more to drive for Ferrari.. who knows, once he's gained the experience Ferrari might not be the giants in F1 anymore! Top teams come and go.. I think next in line could be Renault and Williams.. they've been away from the championship for quite a while now and are both looking stronger every year..

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
The difference between Renault and other cars are that they have a very dynamic and complete car. Their engine is the old Ferrari and yet they can compete race in race out. Their car is still far from potential and they have been getting faster throughout the year and not because of the tyres.

In any case, the Williams' cars were what concerned Ferrari, and after tyre change it was obvious they went slower and therefore not deserving of a Championship title which proved correctly by the end :)

McClaren on the hand, has a shit car but a great driver in Kimi (just look at Coulthard's stats this year). Their performances have also been dependant on their drivers keeping the cars in the race and Kimi did that perfectly.

Conclusion:

Renault: Excellent car, Excellent driver, poor on speed.

McClaren: Excellent drivers, Shit cars

Williams: Shit without the cheating Michelin tyres. It only has speed, but poor on curves. Without those tyres they suffer on races with a lot of turns and short speed traps. At Indianapolis (the speed trap suited Williams perfectly) I thought MS would lose, but luckily it rained and yet again Williams and Michelin showed they are no match in the rain even on the track that allowed Williams to boast their speed.
Magny-Cours?Very tight corners but Williams dominated it,so your 'poor on curves' argument is wrong.

Renault wre able to compensate their less than competitive engine by good handling.In fact the best in business.(BTW it is SAUBER who are using old Ferraris)

McLAren had an old car,don't forget that but when the new one comes out,I will hope it to be fecking dynamite.

And if Michelin were indeed cheating,I hope they can find another tyre that can be competitive/

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
Magny-Cours?Very tight corners but Williams dominated it,so your 'poor on curves' argument is wrong.

Renault wre able to compensate their less than competitive engine by good handling.In fact the best in business.(BTW it is SAUBER who are using old Ferraris)

McLAren had an old car,don't forget that but when the new one comes out,I will hope it to be fecking dynamite.

And if Michelin were indeed cheating,I hope they can find another tyre that can be competitive/
my mistake there then! :p Always had it confused. Do you know a good Formula 1 website? I've always had to rely on espnstar.com and they only have news, no stats and team details and all that..

Should be a good competition next year, but I still won't bet on coulthard and ralf performing any better than they did this year. Maybe a little better for Coulthard, but Ralfie really needs a new sports shrink. He needs to learn to cope with pressure.

Williams' shortcomings have always been their ability on the curves. One race doesn't prove much, look at the big picture and you'll find Ferrari have outperformed in tracks that have shorter speed traps that don't allow Williams to reach max speed. At Indianapolis I had a complete shock when Montoya was doing 245km/h+ when MS could only pull off 230's on the qualification days.. the rain really came through for MS no doubt about it.

In any case, MS is the rain king and will remain so for the rest of his career IMO.. I hope to see Alonso at Ferrari after MS retires though.. I feel he's the only one who can fill in these huge shoes.. Barrichello, with unfortunate lucks, won't.

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
my mistake there then! :p Always had it confused. Do you know a good Formula 1 website? I've always had to rely on espnstar.com and they only have news, no stats and team details and all that..

Should be a good competition next year, but I still won't bet on coulthard and ralf performing any better than they did this year. Maybe a little better for Coulthard, but Ralfie really needs a new sports shrink. He needs to learn to cope with pressure.

Williams' shortcomings have always been their ability on the curves. One race doesn't prove much, look at the big picture and you'll find Ferrari have outperformed in tracks that have shorter speed traps that don't allow Williams to reach max speed. At Indianapolis I had a complete shock when Montoya was doing 245km/h+ when MS could only pull off 230's on the qualification days.. the rain really came through for MS no doubt about it.

In any case, MS is the rain king and will remain so for the rest of his career IMO.. I hope to see Alonso at Ferrari after MS retires though.. I feel he's the only one who can fill in these huge shoes.. Barrichello, with unfortunate lucks, won't.
Agree with you there,M.Schumacher is almost unbeatable in the rain with his bridgestones,but there are always more dry races than wets.

BTW I use www.f1.com