Should the Super League Six be rewarded for returning to the fold? (A Sensible Discussion)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It goes without saying that in turning down the opportunity to form their own elite competition by returning to the basic league fold, the big six have significantly raised the value of the Premier League and Champions League, and with that the value of each club competing in these competitions. Yet all you see online is scorn and morally outrageous teeth gnashing. Is now the time to have a mature discussion about how we compensate the clubs in question, or is everyone still too emotional to address it?

Something will eventually need to be done to recognise the sacrifice the top 6 made for the good of the game and there will have to be significant rewards placed before them in order to prevent this happening again.

And before you get all indignant again, remember there is precedent for honouring the returning:
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:

12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:

24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.

27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.

28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think a proper discussion needs to be had about how UEFA makes its money and what it distributes to clubs. I think it's unfair to tell clubs that are responsible for most of the revenues that they can't ask for more money.
UEFA have been accused of a lack of transparency. That needs to be addressed.

Siorac

I think every executive of the clubs in question should be awarded a diamond sculpture of Sepp Blatter, at the very least. Made by the same artist who created the unforgettable Cristiano Ronaldo statue.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Always thought the prodigal son was a crap parable

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'd say they all should be punished, but if that isn't realistic then they sure as hell shouldn't be rewarded.

Ixion

They should be rewarded with a 10 point deduction.

Woodzy

No but I wouldn’t punish them at this point either.

Let’s chalk the last week off as a moment of madness and the powers that be now need to focus on ownership at clubs.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There needs to be a stronger financial package coming from FIFA to the Champions League, be it TV rights or even guaranteed income based on domestic coefficient (for example, theres many probably better ways to do this).

The primary motivation behind this is obviously that the clubs feel they can get a better financial deal than they currently have. So the clubs and UEFA can sit down and have a long and productive discussion about that.

What is extremely clear is that FFP needs a real do-over.

As for rewarding the clubs, no. They only return over public pressure.

Don't punish the clubs now that this debacle is over, but lay punishment on the instigators and owners any way that is reasonable.

spiriticon

They should be rewarded with a severe warning about the massive fines and points deductions that they would definitely get if they do this again

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It goes without saying that in turning down the opportunity to form their own elite competition by returning to the basic league fold, the big six have significantly raised the value of the Premier League and Champions League, and with that the value of each club competing in these competitions. Yet all you see online is scorn and morally outrageous teeth gnashing. Is now the time to have a mature discussion about how we compensate the clubs in question, or is everyone still too emotional to address it?

Something will eventually need to be done to recognise the sacrifice the top 6 made for the good of the game and there will have to be significant rewards placed before them in order to prevent this happening again.

And before you get all indignant again, remember there is precedent for honouring the returning:
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No, I don't believe they deserve a reward for agreeing to a proposal that threatened to break the game as we know it, only to have a change of heart hours later because the PM threatened them with legislative action.

It's like thanking your rapist who was unable to 'do the deed' because Boris Johnson saved you before it could happen.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Of course, Uefa should give the big clubs a fairer share of the TV money, maybe let them sell their own online TV rights for CL games.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
@dumbo are you genuinely wanting this to be a sensible discussion, and are you genuinely using the bible as your basis that the "big 6" should be rewarded for returning to the fold?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It is divine to forgive, no doubt.

Still, a more appropriate analogy would be this:

There once was a man who had a son. The son was a greedy cnut who wanted a shitload of money. So, he devised a stupid scheme to get a shitload of money. The stupid scheme failed after roughly five minutes. And then the father forgave the greedy cnut even though there was no reason to think that he was no longer a greedy cnut.

ETA:

Possibly because the father was also a greedy cnut, and sympathized with his son's filthy greed, but thought he'd overstepped the mark - slightly.

If the father is the football authorities (UEFA), this works well enough.

If the father is us - football fans, the supposed backbone of the whole shitty structure - not so much. We might be inclined to welcome back the prodigal - but not after five minutes, and not if it's obvious to everyone and his dog that he's a massive cnut.

Last edited:

LoneStar

There needs to be a stronger financial package coming from FIFA to the Champions League, be it TV rights or even guaranteed income based on domestic coefficient (for example, theres many probably better ways to do this).

The primary motivation behind this is obviously that the clubs feel they can get a better financial deal than they currently have. So the clubs and UEFA can sit down and have a long and productive discussion about that.

Don't punish the clubs now that this debacle is over, but lay punishment on the instigators and owners any way that is reasonable.
Spot on. Now is the time for them to sir together and hear each other out. Come to a mutually beneficial understanding.

I can't see them punishing the owners on this though, but hopefully the government helps fans out here.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Surely you are just having a laugh with this OP

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
One year European ban.

Cash Allocation halved for the next five years and the ‘savings’ passed to their home leagues to level them up. Clearly if these teams need a breakaway tournament, having a more even home league would help them.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Why? This process suggests they should have their money halved. Not doubled. The teams don’t need more money. They need to understand that football as a whole needs more money. They don’t.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
There are two factors at play here.

1. The authorities (FIFA, UEFA, the FA and the Premier League) have been either corrupt, naive, incompetent or self serving for too long. They could get away with it with working class supporters with minimal knowledge, understanding nor capability to change things. Fans and players are much more savvy now. They need to work on solutions that fix the needs of everyone involved in the game. They need to fix the ownership issue first and foremost. They need to address racism. They need to address equality. They certainly need to address how agents operate. They also need to work on how money coming into the game is distributed, especially TV money. It's a 'league' not a popularity contest. If more people watch United on the box...because they are more popular...so what?

People say it's a business. Well in a a business there is a sales team. Some sales people bring in more revenue than others. The basic salary is the same (although bonuses might be different)...but the whole company benefits from what the sales team brings in. The whole business eco system benefits. Not just the sales team. Not one individual. It's a collective.

The infrastructure in football operates like a kindergarten. If we keep saying 'this is a business' then the administration needs to get a lot more professional.

2. The big clubs have got away with doing whatever they want for a long, long time. In the big scheme of things, the big clubs need the league to play in. Otherwise it's a vacuum. They need less successful teams. They need competition. So with that comes a responsibility. If you play in the Premier League you have to share the benefits. Because we have a weak FA the top teams keep demanding more and become more and more greedy.

It's no good fixing one without the other.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I can only see this ending one way and that's with some distribution/broadcasting rights going directly to the clubs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But it's time to make life uncomfortable for the owners.
Yes.

In any way we can.

What we've seen in the past few days is that a huge number of fans of these football clubs are against this crap. They don't want it - they're able to see past the flash and the bollocks.

My hope is that they - that we - remain in that mindset.

To see rival fans, whether they support "oil clubs" or "aristocrats" (or teams that are neither), get behind the same banner here - has been great. As silly as it sounds, it has been genuinely uplifting. And I really hope it won't fizzle out with everyone going back to just how it was.

jesperjaap

Why on earth should they be compensated? That is an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

I am also utterly fed up of all this "football being sustainable things need to change" from the top sides. What utter hogwash, there are big problems at the moment and that is purely due to the effects of the corona virus. The premier league and champions league and all the tv coverage brings in hundreds of millions of pounds for these clubs and in my mind NOTHING needs to change with the set up of them, the champions league has been changed a good 20years ago and is all the better for it, what needs changing with it now I dont understand?

The clubs can of course make MORE money from changing things from the worse, but it isnt the money coming IN to the clubs they should be looking to change, it is the money going OUT of the clubs. I know this is the top division in the country and arguably in Europe but look at the money clubs are spending. £30m THIRTY MILLION POUNDS on bang average players that are getting paid £100k every single week regardless of being sat on the bench or performing and to organise these ludicrous fees and wages they are shelling out ridiculous amounts of moneys to agents. I know he is at the top of the tree, but some of the money Raiola has been getting for dealign with transfers is quite simply scandalous.

Ironic that player power helped to a degree in stopping this going ahead. just imagine some of the transfers fees and wages that would have been paid out if this had of gone ahead. We already hear of the likes of Haaland maybe being the first million pound a week player, get out of here.

Players have a short career and we are talkign about players at the top end of the pyramid, but this is exactly where football needs to change.

Not meaning to pick on him, but lets use Pogba as an example.

2016 : £89m fee
Raiola reported fee £40m
Wages £290k per week

In Paul Pogbas time here he has cost us about £200m, £200m on just one player and we havent one a single league title, not even close, been nowehere near champions league success. Of coruse he brings in commercial revenue (which says a lot about the game now), but how can that kind of money ben justified and when you look at that cost how can anyone possibly justify he has been a success here, its not an argument whatsoever.

A lot of what JOhn Barnes said earlier is absolutely true

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Not punishing them would be more than enough.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@dumbo are you genuinely wanting this to be a sensible discussion, and are you genuinely using the bible as your basis that the "big 6" should be rewarded for returning to the fold?
It says sensible discussion in the title and the bible is a fundamental building block of Western jurisprudence.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Since OP quoted the bible, remember that Jesus once flipped a table to whip some greedy fecks in the face.
Matthew 21,12-13: "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."
John 2,13-16: "And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade."

Now I ask you: What would Jesus do?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm not sure how sensible this is but yes, the Six should be rewarded. 50+1, if their fans want it.

It's improbably this will happen but one can only hope.

BaneIsPain

I don't think they should be rewarded or punished. A scummy move but technically still legal, right?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think a proper discussion needs to be had about how UEFA makes its money and what it distributes to clubs. I think it's unfair to tell clubs that are responsible for most of the revenues that they can't ask for more money.
UEFA have been accused of a lack of transparency. That needs to be addressed.
The UEFA has a detailed annual financial report, we know exactly where money goes and where it comes from. It's fairly transparent.

In 19/20 the UEFA generated 3.038bn, 89.9% came from club competitions, 79.5% have been redistributed to participating teams which represents 2417m€ out of those 278m went to FAs, 1676m€ to CL participants, 478m€ to EL participants, 8m€ to Super Cup participants, 5.6m€ to the women CL. Then you have the solidarity package 33m€ were distributed to FAs and 241m€ to clubs. After that you have 156m spent on organizing amateur and professionals competitions for all ages and gender.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The UEFA has a detailed annual financial report, we know exactly where money goes and where it comes from. It's fairly transparent.

In 19/20 the UEFA generated 3.038bn, 89.9% came from club competitions, 79.5% have been redistributed to participating teams which represents 2417m€ out of those 278m went to FAs, 1676m€ to CL participants, 478m€ to EL participants, 8m€ to Super Cup participants, 5.6m€ to the women CL. Then you have the solidarity package 33m€ were distributed to FAs and 241m€ to clubs. After that you have 156m spent on organizing amateur and professionals competitions for all ages and gender.
Thanks.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
They should be punished by having the owners removed from any and all control of the clubs, with a forced sale of 51% to fans.

:angel:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
They should, but for one reason and on one condition. The reason: To piss off Real and their twat president, and the condition: That they each use the money to either raid madrid or buy perez preferred targets before he can find the oney