Should we consider selling Pogba?

Plymouth Red

I have never believed in holding on to a player who clearly wants to be elsewhere.
His disaffection must show itself in the locker room, the gym, on the training pitch, outside club time (is there such a thing?) when playing Xbox games with team mates and potential team mates. It creates an increasing risk of rubbing off on others (which could easily include Martial, Rashford and Lingard) and it becomes hugely time-consuming for coaches and management.
This a point in time when we need everyone from the cook and physio, through the coaching team, the squad, senior management and PR team to be focused on making our players as good as they possibly can be and being totally motivated to perform every week at their best for the team, club and fans. Whether Pogba wants to go to Real, Barca, Juve, Plymouth Argyle or Aberystwyth should be a total irrelevance and not up for discussion, but it keeps resurfacing.
By now, when he's in the second half (i.e. the beginning of the downhill bit) of his career, fans, coaches and pundits are debating where and how to play him. Really? Did we need to ponder where Keano should play? Or Scholes? No. World class players make a role their own. They want to be first name on the team sheet, they do what it takes to earn that privilege and they fight to retain it. Pogba does none of these things. He isn't able to stamp his presence or authority (or legacy) on a specific position week in and week out, which is what class players do.
We may be giving him game time in the hope that the football equivalent of the tooth fairy will visit one night and turn him into the player we thought we were buying. Alternatively, we might see his time on the pitch as a shop window to attract decent bids. Good luck there, currently.
My recommendation would be to make it known widely that we don't want him any longer and we are willing to do a swap, citing the positions where we would consider taking players in return for offloading him. I'd rather have two or three decent new faces in defence or upfront if it means getting a bad apple out of the barrel.
Then, everyone can get back to the day job, which is still winning stuff, by the way.

-Supreme-

It'd be interesting to see our results with and without Pogba in the team, we had a long winning streak when he was injured in the 2nd half of last season.

Chairman Steve

I think he’ll go by the end of next season and I think we’ll be better for it. As someone mentioned before, it’s like Veron all over again only more disappointing and it’s a cautionary tale that the obvious standout first choice player who excites you, doesn’t always deliver and maybe it was the cheaper, less glamorous alternative who would have been better.

Foxbatt

I think he’ll go by the end of next season and I think we’ll be better for it. As someone mentioned before, it’s like Veron all over again only more disappointing and it’s a cautionary tale that the obvious standout first choice player who excites you, doesn’t always deliver and maybe it was the cheaper, less glamorous alternative who would have been better.
Veron should not have been sold that season. He was brilliant for us in the pre season and also in Europe. He always tried hard too and never talked about leaving United and that sort of thing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It'd be interesting to see our results with and without Pogba in the team, we had a long winning streak when he was injured in the 2nd half of last season.
Haven’t seen them overall but saw some stats for results with/without him against “big teams” (i.e. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs) and there was a massive negative difference in results for all the games he started.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Veron should not have been sold that season. He was brilliant for us in the pre season and also in Europe. He always tried hard too and never talked about leaving United and that sort of thing.
He was shit though. Mainly shit anyway. And poor for Chelsea too. He was even a shadow of his former self when he went back to Italy. Even with hindsight, it was the right decision to move him on.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Haven’t seen them overall but saw some stats for results with/without him against “big teams” (i.e. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs) and there was a massive negative difference in results for all the games he started.
the only big games he stood out in that I can think of off the top of my head are city away, Arsenal away when lingard scored and Spurs post lockdown. He’s been mostly invisible in the big games otherwise.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
the only big games he stood out in that I can think of off the top of my head are city away, Arsenal away when lingard scored and Spurs post lockdown. He’s been mostly invisible in the big games otherwise.
Invisible apart from ludicrous handball in our box against Liverpool last season and similarly stupid penalties against Spurs and Arsenal this season. Which arguably cancel out the positive contributions in the Arsenal/City/Spurs games you mention.

That City game was a weird one because he was atrocious for most of the game then superb for a short spell towards the end. That’s the sort of inconsistency that will sum up his United career.

-Supreme-

Must admit I'm not surprised by this.

His clear deficiencies that affect the overall balance of the team far outweighs his attacking play that he brings to the team.

clarkydaz

OGS could have sold Pogba for a good price in summer 2019. It could have had quite an impact, like Fergie selling Paul Ince. It could have been good for Ole's stature as a leader; drawing a line in the sand regarding attitude and work rate.
i dont think Ole would have the power to move him out of the club unless the board got their silly fee.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is our equivalent of Neymar where he plays for himself and not the team. Keeps taking too many touches of the ball and starts freestyling/doing all these stupid tricks, like he is in a circus.

We have to cut our losses and sell ASAP.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Invisible apart from ludicrous handball in our box against Liverpool last season and similarly stupid penalties against Spurs and Arsenal this season. Which arguably cancel out the positive contributions in the Arsenal/City/Spurs games you mention.

That City game was a weird one because he was atrocious for most of the game then superb for a short spell towards the end. That’s the sort of inconsistency that will sum up his United career.
I totally agree.

It’s clear at this stage he’s a busted flush for us. He does more bad than good and really does let us down more often than not in high pressure moments. It must be terrible for morale in general for his more committed teammates to see him get chance after chance. strolling around the pitch stinking up the place all while openly talking about wanting to leave anytime a reporter asks him and this has been going on for years. Just sell him already. Jose was right about him. I don’t want this guy to be our highest paid player and stuck here for another few years just because no other team can afford him but with Ed in charge he’ll probably end up getting a Sanchez type deal and the cycle will continue. I don’t know how they expect to have a happy squad when the top earner and self appointed poster boy doesn’t even want to be here. It’s a bad look all round.

mattsville

I think at this stage he is being managed to sell, he was motivated in the leipzig match after being dropped for a few matches, his determined run forward and pass to Greenwood, he should be doing that every match but it is like he does not want to, "time for a new challenge", giving away pens it is poxy, player and agent power.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
i dont think Ole would have the power to move him out of the club unless the board got their silly fee.
This is what I've suspected has been the problem for a while.

Jose clearly wanted to instill discipline in him and was blocked. Then he wanted to ship him out and was blocked. I think there's pressure put on the manager to use him because he's the club's biggest marketing asset, and that means there's no ability for the manager to hold Pogba to any kind of standards, because if he doesn't reach them there's nothing the manager can do about it.

Jose should have been allowed to get rid or he should have been put on the exit ramp with Jose as it was obvious by that point his attitude was a problem. I don't think he's deliberately volatile and is probably a nice enough guy, but he just doesn't have the mentality of a player you can put on a pedestal as indespensible. It just sends a message to every player that oafing about in games and being shite 90% of the time is a standard the club not only accepts but rewards.

11reds

Yes 100 per cent. The signing of Bruno showed us what we should have got from Pogba. His agent is poison, we need to get rid.

redmanx

"Should we consider selling Pogba?" Yes, as soon as possible; how many more excuses is his fan club going to make for him?

gztar83

Supports
Spurs
I totally agree.

It’s clear at this stage he’s a busted flush for us. He does more bad than good and really does let us down more often than not in high pressure moments. It must be terrible for morale in general for his more committed teammates to see him get chance after chance. strolling around the pitch stinking up the place all while openly talking about wanting to leave anytime a reporter asks him and this has been going on for years. Just sell him already. Jose was right about him. I don’t want this guy to be our highest paid player and stuck here for another few years just because no other team can afford him but with Ed in charge he’ll probably end up getting a Sanchez type deal and the cycle will continue. I don’t know how they expect to have a happy squad when the top earner and self appointed poster boy doesn’t even want to be here. It’s a bad look all round.
Definitely this for you guys. I think it's a real real shame that Jose never got a chance to squad build how he wanted, and it ended up bringing the worst out of him after signing a new contract and then never being backed in the market immediately afterwards. Not sure why the contract was offered if the board weren't ever going to back him in the market....

All he wants are players that give 100% effort and play for the team. And well quite frankly this Paul Pogba guy doesn't do either, and I doubt JM ever wanted to sign him in the first place.

If one player doesn't put the effort in a team structure, then it's room for the opponents to expose that area that's both with or without the ball. It's all very well being able to produce moments of quality which you can't doubt in PP - but you'll never win things with inconsistent key players in your squad, and this guy brings that in an absolute abundance both individually and within the team collective.

At Spurs right now he's got the same issue with Dele Alli and if that attitude and work-rate doesn't improve he'll continue to not even make the bench. You can excuse a player having a poor game every once in a while - but you have to make sure you always work your socks off and do your bit in the team structure , as the spark / brilliance can always come from a fellow team-mate instead...

Martial is another player in the exact same bracket and is why he wanted both out. With these two guys currently as key players in the United side, you can't ever expect to be consistent over the course of a year - a top four finish imo is a v good achievement with players having such characteristics in your squad.

It takes two to tango. All a manager can do is pinpoint the areas that are a problem and try to improve them but it's up to the player at the end of the day. And getting rid of Pogba and reinvesting funds will be a key part in improving the profile of the squad with a greater flexibility on how to approach games of football of different magnitudes.

If you do bring Poch in - Paul Pogba aggressively press? I'm not sure I can see that happening anytime soon...

SambaBoy

He's regressed massively since he's arrived at his club. I remember watching him for Juve as a young lad, seeing someone who had crazy talent but had a lot of weaknesses in his game. Already at that stage, he was good enough to hold his own in one of the best midfields in the world and contribute. He was playing for France and making an impression. His debut against Southampton was fantastic, he was skipping past players from deep, really driving the game forward. We've seen his repertoire of passing.

Since his long injury lay-offs, he hasn't looked the same player. He's lost some of his dynamism, he barely takes on players anymore, I haven't seen the defense splitting passes anymore. He was still inconsistent at these points, but he was a game changer. Now he just seems like another player, and not one that contributes too much. If we can sell him for over £70m, we should take the money. He obviously brings problems defensively and how to fit him into a team. We can't find a position for him apparently, and it's often used to defend him but it comes to a point, where you have to look at the player rather than the system.

USREDEVIL

I've got a Pogba shirt. I'm a fan. Yes, sell to Juve. Expecting him to be a talisman at this point is madness. We've seen what he's going to bring and it's not enough sadly. Have to move him on before it's too late. Might already be too late.

markhughes

He isn’t very good, tactically inept with no passion for the club, he should go play beach football or play in the MLS where he can be a star.

Any top club would be insane to take him on at this point, he will run his contract down and have a massive pay day somewhere before fading into obscurity.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Of all the ways the club has humiliated itself, offering Pogba a new improved contract as a reward for his contributions would be down there with the worst. It’s over.

The Urban Goose

Of all the ways the club has humiliated itself, offering Pogba a new improved contract as a reward for his contributions would be down there with the worst. It’s over.
You hear that, Mr Anderson? That is the sound of inevitably.

hungrywing

This is what I've suspected has been the problem for a while.

Jose clearly wanted to instill discipline in him and was blocked. Then he wanted to ship him out and was blocked. I think there's pressure put on the manager to use him because he's the club's biggest marketing asset, and that means there's no ability for the manager to hold Pogba to any kind of standards, because if he doesn't reach them there's nothing the manager can do about it.

Jose should have been allowed to get rid or he should have been put on the exit ramp with Jose as it was obvious by that point his attitude was a problem. I don't think he's deliberately volatile and is probably a nice enough guy, but he just doesn't have the mentality of a player you can put on a pedestal as indespensible. It just sends a message to every player that oafing about in games and being shite 90% of the time is a standard the club not only accepts but rewards.
Cue musical number: 'But Pogba Was a Jose Signing (reprise)'.

Prepare yourself in mind and body, man.

Not a response to JR's post: Posted about this a few times but really I guess the average person isn't going to understand what happened to Pogba. Also, Pogba leaving in the first place was all the red-flag anyone who knows what they're looking at needs.

Khalif_20

You hear that, Mr Anderson? That is the sound of inevitably.
Prepare yourself in mind and body, man.
I understand that the passions run high because the club finds itself in such embarrassing situation all around, but it's imperative that we remain clear-headed and logical.

The worst mistake here would be giving in to the hateful, biased media narratives and sell Paul - only to see him dominate all competitions at Real or Juventus.

Just imagine the shame when he lifts the Ballon d'Or in 2022 while we spend Paul's discount (80-90 million) transfer fee on some local mediocrity like Grealish.

We need a new manager, and we need one NOW. Let someone tactically astute and progressive evaluate Paul, and you'll see soon enough that the correct course of action is to build the team around him instead of scapegoating.

NFM

Definitely this for you guys. I think it's a real real shame that Jose never got a chance to squad build how he wanted, and it ended up bringing the worst out of him after signing a new contract and then never being backed in the market immediately afterwards. Not sure why the contract was offered if the board weren't ever going to back him in the market....

All he wants are players that give 100% effort and play for the team. And well quite frankly this Paul Pogba guy doesn't do either, and I doubt JM ever wanted to sign him in the first place.

If one player doesn't put the effort in a team structure, then it's room for the opponents to expose that area that's both with or without the ball. It's all very well being able to produce moments of quality which you can't doubt in PP - but you'll never win things with inconsistent key players in your squad, and this guy brings that in an absolute abundance both individually and within the team collective.

At Spurs right now he's got the same issue with Dele Alli and if that attitude and work-rate doesn't improve he'll continue to not even make the bench. You can excuse a player having a poor game every once in a while - but you have to make sure you always work your socks off and do your bit in the team structure , as the spark / brilliance can always come from a fellow team-mate instead...

Martial is another player in the exact same bracket and is why he wanted both out. With these two guys currently as key players in the United side, you can't ever expect to be consistent over the course of a year - a top four finish imo is a v good achievement with players having such characteristics in your squad.

It takes two to tango. All a manager can do is pinpoint the areas that are a problem and try to improve them but it's up to the player at the end of the day. And getting rid of Pogba and reinvesting funds will be a key part in improving the profile of the squad with a greater flexibility on how to approach games of football of different magnitudes.

If you do bring Poch in - Paul Pogba aggressively press? I'm not sure I can see that happening anytime soon...
Jose isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is no fool. He wanted rid of both Frenchmen. I would gladly drive them both to madrid, Juve or wherever. They act like slow poison in the club, their talent does not compensate.

Khalif_20

:lol:

He's doing it himself by being shit on terms of consistency and going missing for 2/3 of the season every year.

He loves and respect the club so much that he's openly pleaded for Real to sign him and has said he wanted out along with his agent and brother repeating it multiple times.

Signing him back was one of the worst mistake the club has ever made. The manager has to play him despite him being shit most of the time and we're effectively playing with a man down when he feels like he's not up for it.

No properly run club would play this clown, which explains why we're constantly playing him.
Yes for sure it was signing Paul back that was such a terrible mistake - not alienating him so much that he was forced to leave for free in the first place, not letting clueless clown Ed demolish the club from within year after year, not appointing terrible managers like Moyes, Mourinho or Ole, not wasting king's ransom on local mediocrity like James or Maguire, not failing to sign generational talent like De Ligt or Bellingham or Sancho, surely not - it was signing back the best midfielder in the world that was the worst mistake of all.
Am I implying that fair-weather footballer Pogba wouldn't displace the most reliable and effective COM in the world, reigning Bundesliga assist record holder, big game player and absolute Bayern legend Thomas Müller? Yes, I rather think I am. And when Tolisso gets playing time, it's never as Müller's replacement since that guy basically never misses a game.
I'll even go a step further and make a statement: Pogba would never displace Müller in our squad.
I appreciate your well-reasoned reply but respectfully disagree with the conclusion.

Last edited:

redmanx

He's regressed massively since he's arrived at his club. I remember watching him for Juve as a young lad, seeing someone who had crazy talent but had a lot of weaknesses in his game. Already at that stage, he was good enough to hold his own in one of the best midfields in the world and contribute. He was playing for France and making an impression. His debut against Southampton was fantastic, he was skipping past players from deep, really driving the game forward. We've seen his repertoire of passing.

Since his long injury lay-offs, he hasn't looked the same player. He's lost some of his dynamism, he barely takes on players anymore, I haven't seen the defense splitting passes anymore. He was still inconsistent at these points, but he was a game changer. Now he just seems like another player, and not one that contributes too much. If we can sell him for over £70m, we should take the money. He obviously brings problems defensively and how to fit him into a team. We can't find a position for him apparently, and it's often used to defend him but it comes to a point, where you have to look at the player rather than the system.
Sorry, but putting his woeful performances down to injuries doesnt work anymore, he was inconsistent and often very poor before they became a factor in his time at United.

SambaBoy

Sorry, but putting his woeful performances down to injuries doesnt work anymore, he was inconsistent and often very poor before they became a factor in his time at United.
Yeah I get that, but back then I always thought if he became consistent and ironed out some flaws, he would be world class. At this point, I don't even think his top level is that impressive and his good games are few and far between. He just lets games pass him by now.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I appreciate your well-reasoned reply but respectfully disagree with the conclusion.
Fair enough. We'll never get proof anyway since Pogba will never sign for Bayern, which I don't mind at all.

The Urban Goose

I understand that the passions run high because the club finds itself in such embarrassing situation all around, but it's imperative that we remain clear-headed and logical.

The worst mistake here would be giving in to the hateful, biased media narratives and sell Paul - only to see him dominate all competitions at Real or Juventus.

Just imagine the shame when he lifts the Ballon d'Or in 2022 while we spend Paul's discount (80-90 million) transfer fee on some local mediocrity like Grealish.

We need a new manager, and we need one NOW. Let someone tactically astute and progressive evaluate Paul, and you'll see soon enough that the correct course of action is to build the team around him instead of scapegoating.
White text?

Whilst I agree he's by no means the only problem at the club, in fact he's probably not even in the top 5, I'm staggered that people still come to the conclusion that he deserves having a team built around him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

If you are Pogba’s PR agent you are not even doing a good job at that.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Yes for sure it was signing Paul back that was such a terrible mistake - not alienating him so much that he was forced to leave for free in the first place, not letting clueless clown Ed demolish the club from within year after year, not appointing terrible managers like Moyes, Mourinho or Ole, not wasting king's ransom on local mediocrity like James or Maguire, not failing to sign generational talent like De Ligt or Bellingham or Sancho, surely not - it was signing back the best midfielder in the world that was the worst mistake of all.

So when he goes are you going to go support 'The best midfielder in the world' at his new club?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Get out of his ass, not even Pogba is delusional enough to think he's the best midfielder in the world at any stage in his career.

Go support whatever club he joins next because you're just a Pogba fanboy.

People like you are why the newbie forums needs to be brought back so people don't need to read your shit.

redshaw

I don't think Paul wants to hang around waiting for United, it's been 4-5 years and he'll probably be sold in a cut price deal. He's 27 so it's crucial he makes a move to a top two club.

hungrywing

Fair enough. We'll never get proof anyway since Pogba will never sign for Bayern, which I don't mind at all.
Are you insane? He'd improve any team. Okay, okay. We can see you drive a hard bargain. Expected nothing less from a fellow European powerhouse.

Also we'll throw in this box of erm... rum?

And then the question asked will be should we consider selling Bruno? i can see it happening.