Should we give several of our players a loan when football return?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m fearful that the lack of football might hurt some of our younger talents during this time. We have quite a few young players at a stage where competitive, senior football could be crucial for their development.

Players like Greenwood and Williams would played very valuable minutes in the last few months of the season. Something they would be able to build on this summer while preparing for next year.

It is also looking increasingly likely that there will be no international football next year. Meaning no CL/EL or national football. For the best teams, this could imply that there will be 8-15 less games during the season for some players. I can imagine teams will turn this to their advantage as there will be less of a need for squad roation. Being able to play with the same 11 in most of the games could be a huge advantage.

But where does that leave players like Greenwood, Garner, Laird and Williams? Will we be able to give them the minutes they need to develop? I think we should consider giving some of these players a loan to a club where we they will get minutes and develop.

I know that it is probably not a very popular suggestion. My impression is that a lot of people in here overrate the quality of some of these kids (and then underrate their talent when they fail/stumble due to needing more time). Greenwood looks spectacular, but can we offer him 20 games next season if there is no international games? Probably not if we aim to compete. If we can not offer him 20 games, will it not be better for him to play regularly in the Championship? It is probably even more relevant for a few of the others.

The Championship has improved quite a bit the past couple of years, and it seems like a good place for a young player to develop. I’m sure several clubs will be coming out of this crisis lacking players.

Greenwood is not going on loan.

would you really trust another team to have his and our best interests in mind. I dont.

players like greenwood don’t go on loan.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I thought the OP meant we should give some players a financial loan

What is the success rates of loans for young players? If we can't make the commitments to give young players sufficient time, then they should be sold. None of this loan nonsense where they waste away on someone else's bench.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood's our 3rd highest scorer, he's not going anywhere, I actually think we'd be completely mental to loan him out in all honesty. Laird keeps picking up injuries, until we've helped him through that I wouldn't like us sending him anywhere, to be perfectly honest he's got great physicality and provides a very different option to Wan-Bissaka so I'd rather we didn't loan him out at all until we've seen what he's capable of for the first team. Williams is currently our only back up LB, without him we've not got anyone. Garner's probably the only one I'd consider loaning as CMs require experience as it's such a varied and difficult role. I'd loan out Chong too, he needs to get used to senior physicality.
I thought the OP meant we should give some players a financial loan

What is the success rates of loans for young players? If we can't make the commitments to give young players sufficient time, then they should be sold. None of this loan nonsense where they waste away on someone else's bench.
Not sure what the success rate is but I have noticed with our players that the ones who've done quite well on loan and have developed have been the ones who've gone to the same team for multiple seasons, for example Henderson and to a lesser extent Tuanzebe. I think if teams feel like they're getting a player for multiple seasons then developing them is more to their benefit than a one year deal. Might be talking out my arse here but just an observation.

Brightonian

Greenwood is our third highest goalscorer. Williams played the same number of games as Shaw this season.

In general, no. Loans are highly unpredictable and seem to work out less and less often, with the exception of structured foreign 'sister clubs' like Chelsea and Vitesse Arnhem. And all the lessons from our best recent academy breakthroughs are that with the real talents the most valuable thing is to be thrown into the first team as soon as they're ready and then spend a few seasons easing their way into regular game-time. See Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Williams. Recent academy talents who have been loaned out haven't had as much success breaking through, or have come back to us as diminished players. See Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah.

My god if they send Garner away I will be furious.

DVG7

I think we should loan Marcos rojo to liverpool

Web of Bissaka

Many lower table/league clubs will gain financial losses and had to release their players.

Win-win situation for those teams and us, if we loan them players we're not really using.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Greenwood is our third highest goalscorer. Williams played the same number of games as Shaw this season.

In general, no. Loans are highly unpredictable and seem to work out less and less often, with the exception of structured foreign 'sister clubs' like Chelsea and Vitesse Arnhem. And all the lessons from our best recent academy breakthroughs are that with the real talents the most valuable thing is to be thrown into the first team as soon as they're ready and then spend a few seasons easing their way into regular game-time. See Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Williams. Recent academy talents who have been loaned out haven't had as much success breaking through, or have come back to us as diminished players. See Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah.

My god if they send Garner away I will be furious.
I regret not asking what people consider enough minutes for these players and how we should provide them the minutes.

Unless Ole decides to play a few of them in the PL the will not get the games they need to develop if there is no international football.

Garner probably have to take games from Pogba, Matic, Fred or McTominay.

We might be able to give a few young players some minutes at the expense more experienced players. But to what degree? And is it fair to expect Garner to perform better than these at the age of 19? Cause he will have to perform bettet than them to get games, right? Or should OGS give him minutes thinking about the future rather than short term? Can we afford too?

Brightonian

I regret not asking what people consider enough minutes for these players and how we should provide them the minutes.

Unless Ole decides to play a few of them in the PL the will not get the games they need to develop if there is no international football.

Garner probably have to take games from Pogba, Matic, Fred or McTominay.

We might be able to give a few young players some minutes at the expense more experienced players. But to what degree? And is it fair to expect Garner to perform better than these at the age of 19? Cause he will have to perform bettet than them to get games, right? Or should OGS give him minutes thinking about the future rather than short term? Can we afford too?
I expect to see either/both Lingard and Pereira moved on. And Matic couldn't even handle playing a string of games in a row this season, so next season he'll be even more limited. That should mean plenty of minutes for Garner should Ole think he's up to it. Meanwhile Williams and Greenwood got plenty last season and there's no reason to expect that to change as long as they continue to deserve them.

Plus I think you're very premature to suggest there won't be any international football. Next season is still a long way away, and UEFA certainly aren't planning to cancel anything by all accounts. There might have to be games behind closed doors for a while, but their very existence relies on those big broadcasting rights cheques, so you can be sure if there's any possible legal way to keep their competitions running they will take them.

Mindhunter

OP should be changed to “should we send...”. Otherwise it sounded like another of those pro bailout package write ups.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I expect to see either/both Lingard and Pereira moved on. And Matic couldn't even handle playing a string of games in a row this season, so next season he'll be even more limited. That should mean plenty of minutes for Garner should Ole think he's up to it. Meanwhile Williams and Greenwood got plenty last season and there's no reason to expect that to change as long as they continue to deserve them.

Plus I think you're very premature to suggest there won't be any international football. Next season is still a long way away, and UEFA certainly aren't planning to cancel anything by all accounts. There might have to be games behind closed doors for a while, but their very existence relies on those big broadcasting rights cheques, so you can be sure if there's any possible legal way to keep their competitions running they will take them.
I actually think Matic was quite good when he played just one game a week. A big reason why our defence started looking solid. Furthermore, Fred and McTominay will want to play football too.

I hope you are right regarding international football, but I dont see it right now. If there is no international football and we play 8 games in the FA and League Cup in total we will play 46 games next year.

If our first choice midfield pair play 70 % of the games each (probably quite konservative) they will play 32 games each. A very low figure. That will imply that there is 28 games left, 14 for each, for our two senior backup players (McTominay and Fred/Matic). It will be difficult to give 10 games to Garner. And he probably needs alot more than 10 games!