Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

spiriticon

Yes as a top top superstar, No as a squad option. When he's on form he's definitely good enough to be playing.

Certainly we need to think hard about offering him 250 k a week in the next round of negotiations. Will he take a wage cut? If not, is it better to sell him than lose him for free? Squad options don't command high wages.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The point is not having a bench warmer on 250 grand a week.
In terms of competition for places, we know a few things about him:
- when someone takes his place, he sulks instead of pushing forward
- he usually misses a few months a season through injuries
- he usually misses a few months a season just strolling around the pitch

If we need to sell Pogba because he's inconsistent then we need to send Martial to the fecking moon.
Who is going to pay the 250k?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if give up is the term, the caf loves deadwood and giving up but then wonder why we don't have depth. So unless we can actually make a financial gain, Martial is more useful for United, one thing that Martial has done continuously is fight for a starting position unlike what some tend to say, he seems to be better when he isn't guaranteed to start when he has to fight for his place, so we should use that and put in a position where he has to push the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
He has the talent to be a top player, but hasn't shown the temperament. I like him very much, and think he should get another year. It could go either way, but I'd hate to give up too early and watch him tearing it up elsewhere. Even with his shortcomings he's twice the player Lukaku or Depay are.

I feel he could come good, but I'm struggling to remember any players who had seasons as terrible as his and then managed to turn it around (without changing club). Does anyone remember any?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We really need to stop giving people big contracts unless they perform for like 2-3 years consistently.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
'Give up' is harsh but if we can offload him for 40-50m and reinvest I think we'll be better off. He's not causing problems but he's moving further and further away from the starting roster.

If we can't get that much money, he may as well stay because he's a good option.

Withnail

No we shouldn't. He's had one bad season. This streaky business is a bit of a myth.

If you look at his goals per 90, for most of his time at United it's been going up season on season and improving the more minutes he got.

I've no idea what happened last year but he's never had such poor goal scoring form. I think it's much more likely that his shooting boots return than not and the previous year he has shown his able to play as a 9.

Obviously if he has another stinker then get rid.

Nori-

He's had 6 years at the club and we still don't know what his best position is?!

This has been one of our biggest problems post Fergie, sticking by players everyone else can see are not good enough.

Look at City, Sterling has been great for them since he joined, he's had a bad season and there's talk of him being moved on. They are always thinking about improving.

Meanwhile some of us after 6 years are still talking about giving Martial more time. Crazy.

el3mel

No. He is first cover for both Cavani and Rash. But this season he must step up. No question about it.
He'll be definitely be better next season. I mean it's not even that hard of a task, considering he only scored 7 goals in 36 games last season, this includes a brace in one game, so basically he scored in 6 games only out of the 36 he played, which is fecking atrocious, so improvement over it won't be hard.

The problem is, I don't see it with this guy as a long term main starter. He'll be where he's, a squad option for rotation and resting key players. After Cavani leaves, we'll need another top striker to replace him, not Martial.

So if he's content with a long term bench option at Man United, then great, I don't care. If he wants a main starting position then time for a new club.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's had 6 years at the club and we still don't know what his best position is?!

This has been one of our biggest problems post Fergie, sticking by players everyone else can see are not good enough.

Look at City, Sterling has been great for them since he joined, he's had a bad season and there's talk of him being moved on. They are always thinking about improving.

Meanwhile some of us after 6 years are still talking about giving Martial more time. Crazy.
His best position is obviously striker. That's pretty clear.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Just imagine if we were to get a 'rejuvenated Luke Shaw style' Tony Martial next season. He was on fire a couple of years back. He really is a scorer of beautiful goals but the inconsistency is just killing him.

pascell

It pains me to say it because his football in his first season was a delight to watch, but yes I'd sell now.

He's not improved at any aspect of his game and is wildly inconsistent. He's been unfortunate to have come into the club during our worst spell for managers and their ethos of the game. Going from LvG>Jose>Ole has killed him really.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just imagine if we were to get a 'rejuvenated Luke Shaw style' Tony Martial next season. He was on fire a couple of years back. He really is a scorer of beautiful goals but the inconsistency is just killing him.
He was on fire following COVID restart but people seem to forget.

Last season wasn't great, and was interrupted by injury, but as @JPRouve says why get rid and weaken the squad just for the sake of it when our biggest issue compared to city is depth.

youmeletsfly

Who is going to pay the 250k?
Nobody is going to pay him the 250K. If he wants to play week in week out at a decent team, he needs to lower his salary demands otherwise he'll warm the bench here if Sancho comes.

spiriticon

I'm personally hoping Shaw will still be in Super Saiyan mode next season. It's still a niggling worry in the back of my mind that he could go back to Hamburglar mode at any time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Give up on is probably not the best term. We should however look to move him on if a buyer emerges, or else use him as bait for the likes of Haaland or Kane.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wouldn't frame it as "giving up" on Martial, because that suggests the prime driver of the decision would be Martial himself, some sense of greater potential for the future or some sense of investment we now have in that future. Instead I would think of it in terms of the practical make-up of the squad.

Martial is what he is, a good but often frustrating player who is not in our first choice eleven. He's also worth what he's worth. From that POV, are we better off with him here as he is? Or can we strengthen more with other incomings if we cash in on him?

I certainly wouldn't base the decision on potential that after over half a decade here he is still very unsure to ever realise. Instead accept him for the inconsistent player he actually is and make a practical call on that basis. The key factors in the call should be what he's worth and what else we could do with that money, not that unrealised potential.

If he stays, that's fine. If he goes, it's no great loss.

McSauce FC

No. Cavani is here for just 1 more season. Then it should be up to Greenwood and Martial to rotate as ST, with Sancho and Amad rotating the RW. Martial could also cover for Rashy as LW.

Wich striker could we realistically replace him with anyway?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He lacks fight and pride. I am 60% sell him, 40% give him one more season.

MrBest

Not enough hunger on the pitch for me to be a starter but would make an excellent bench or squad player. 4 years left on 250k a week, if there are no buyers, good impact player off the bench but if things continue to spiral downwards for him, best to sell and let one of the young prodigy kids take his place, after they have gained some loan experience.

There is no rush to get rid, what is the panic?

red4ever 79

Wrong attitude and effort levels when he plays. Wont be a starter next season when Sancho comes. We have seen how he folds when he has competition like a snow flake. Offload, get a good fee and put it towards a striker

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He definitely lacks the drive you need to be a top player. He's really talented and that's taken him a long way and of course he tries his hardest. However, I just don't think he has the mental strength to push up to the next level, there's no shame in that not many do.

GueRed

Yes.

He's had ample time to prove himself.

Talented but he's too flakey to be a top player. He's the most Arsenal Spursy player we have.

I'd rather sell him and move Hannibal and Elanga up the pecking order for that left wing berth...

sokol11

Should give up? Gave up long time ago. Any talent that is there is offset with his shit attitude and no workrate. Sell if possible.

El Jefe

Keep him for the season and accept any contribution he gives us as a positive. He should be moved on next summer though.

Hopefully he performs well enough to fetch us £40m at least

Champagne Football

Yes, doesn't have Utd DNA. Perfect for Spurs - only need to play well in 2 out of 5 games there for everyone to be happy.

But we're stuck with him due to monster salary.

ShoePolish

Depends who we can get in his place, and I don't consider Sancho as his replacement.

Just to raise funds for other areas - I'd say no, but if letting him go means getting someone like Kingsley Coman in, Im all for it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You don't win titles with players like James or McT on the bench. You need quality backups. You need players like Telles, Martial, Donny and Greenwood on the bench. Just like Chelsea and City have. We must keep him.

Devil81

A good gauge for Martial is the fact I've asked multiple fans of various clubs if they'd have Martial. Majority said the same thing, on his day he's fantastic, but those days are few and far between and an average day is lackluster.

Most people also think their is no passion for his work either.

Andersons Dietician

Cavani is surely first choice now but Cavani isn’t going to be able to play week in week out so we are going to need a back up. I’m guessing when the season starts he’ll probably be the starting 9 just due to having had a full summer off. At least till Cavani is up and running.

As for giving up on him I’m just not sure. He has uses and in moments you can see what he could bring to the team. He’s just never going to be a 9 like Cavani. What he has done this year often is fill the space Bruno leaves behind which has allowed us to move the team up at times or keep possession better. The real issue with him is that when he drops deep does his part he doesn’t really have the willingness to then get in the thick of it to get a goal.

I personally think if he gets game time with VDB, Pogba, Sancho and Amad players who pass and move and will go beyond him you’ll probably get the better version of Martial. Or play him in a two with Cavani. The partnership he had with Lukaku the odd times they played as a two was great.

lsd

The Oracle
He is a total con man and should have been binned years ago.

Sums up everything that has been wrong with United post Fergie that this appalling miserable lazy excuse for a footballer had lasted six years and counting at the club.

The only decent think Jose did in his time here in my opinion was to take the Number 9 shirt from him but then he ruined it by giving him another one

dinostar77

Yes, had long enough at the club. The benchmark for performances for all players needs to be consistently high. Cant make or wont make the effort to get to that benchmark or standard? Then get rid of.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
At some point we’re going to need attacking players in their prime…he’s 25 - we’ve waited this long and as we don’t exactly have amazing options up front then unless we’ve got some insane talent hidden under the coach we can sign then I think he should stay another year.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's had a bad season, but I do hope that we keep him as an attacking option. The quality he has is exactly the level we need on the bench if we are to win trophies consistently.

As far as contract is concerned, it's cheaper to retain him than replace him with another player of that quality

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Yes as a top top superstar, No as a squad option. When he's on form he's definitely good enough to be playing.
bolded = bang on

it only hurts Tony and the team when he’s relied on to start week in week out when he has zero consistency to be able to let anyone know which version of himself will be showing up.

Keep him for the sake of squad competition but nothing more/less atm. And if the opportunity presents itself to bring in a striker in the next year or 2, by all means we should look at selling him(moving on) if things are still status quo.