Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

Offsideagain

The lad doesn’t look interested anymore. He is obviously talented but where is the superstar the pundits were talking about when he joined United? Cash in now.

UnitedRepublic

The CAF would probably say the same if we had Coman, Dembele or Gnabry Martial brings atleast as much to the table as those guys but still people want to get rid of him because he’s not selfish enough like some other players in the team. I’m 100% sure though that we’re gonna keep him.

crossy1686

career ending
He's so gifted, I bet if we sold him he would look so much better in another team too. Frustrating.
When Mourinho was here and he wanted rid of him, people were saying that he would go on to be our Salah or De Bruyne for a rival team.

Still waiting for him to get anywhere near those two players...

Foxbatt

Martial for his sake should move on. The best thing he can do is hire that Ravioli guy as his agent. He will find him a good deal.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He's so gifted, I bet if we sold him he would look so much better in another team too. Frustrating.
I have serious doubts if that's true. I agree he's a gifted player but what's lacking is motivation and mentality to improve himself as a player. If he can't lift himself at one of the worlds biggest clubs then it's doubtful if he can do it at a club a tier or 2 below us because let's face it that's where he's going.

Djemba-Djemba

Yes.

Been here 6 years and little has changed. The questions around him that people were asking in 2016 and 2017 are still relevant today.

You can play him and he might decide he's up for it that day and he works hard and puts the effort in, as he did in the 2-0 win at City.

But it's just as likely, if not more so now, that you play him and he doesn't give a shit and ambles around the pitch all game with a scowl on his face. Too many examples from last season to name of that but Sheffield Utd at home in particular he was disgracefully bad.

He's on huge money too, If we could get rid of him we absolutely should. He's had enough chances here, we aren't winning big trophies with Martial.

Passitlikescholes

He had a good season in 2019/20 and the expectation was for him to kick on in 2020/21. The fact he didn't, after being with us for several years, IMO he's done at United.

Okey

If after 6 years in the first team, a player still inspires this discussion, then he's probably never gonna cut it to the acceptable level to quash such talk. I can't imagine one player who took that long to become a big star at one club. Maybe a move will help him, at which point I won't care anyway.

vanrooney

i like him very much as he is extremly gifted. this will be his make or break season with sancho added. there will be a lot of competition and that will hopefully be an additional motivation for all our attacking players. really looking forward to the new season

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How similar is he in output to Nani?

People would probably say that Nani is better because we were more successful as a whole during that time.

28gunsalute

Hes had enough chances and must now be got rid of. If only he could turn up week in week out and not when its easy for him.
A gifted player but not for us, we can't continue to carry players if we want to challenge for top honours.

dinostar77

I gave up on him a while ago.
Same here. He's the sort of deadwood the club need to get out. Need motivated, ambitious players who want to win at all costs and drive the players around them to perform.

Matthew84!

The CAF would probably say the same if we had Coman, Dembele or Gnabry Martial brings atleast as much to the table as those guys but still people want to get rid of him because he’s not selfish enough like some other players in the team. I’m 100% sure though that we’re gonna keep him.
I wouldn't want any of those players at Utd, Martial should be sold and get someone who's going to improve the team, pointless him being here if he's not going to try

Tallis

Will Madrid swap him for Varane. They need a backup for Benz and could use some firepower on left given Hazards troubles and Vini’s shooting issues

Jibbs

Offer PSG Martial plus 100, 120 million for Mbappe. Wouldn't get a better chance than this of getting Mbappe.

Idxomer

From another perspective, what does it say about Martial that he hasn't performed consistently for any of those 3 managers although they are all in different styles? If all our 3 managers are in the same mound of Jose, then you may say that about Martial.
He performed as consistently as anyone could've hoped for LVG.

17 goals and 11 assists as a teenager in his 1st year in England was a great output.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think if Martial had a proper wage reflecting his ability then no one would really complain too much about him. He can be a useful player to have even if it was just on the bench.

He has just somehow managed to get Rooney or Ronaldo type wages whilst not really ever being that type of player.

bosskeano

Simple answer is yes. He should be sold once we purchase Sancho and use that money to bring in a RB. We already have monies allocated for a CB and CM so that money should be for a more well rounded attacking RB

Aren86

Unbelievable that we're having this discussion at the end of every season.
Don't remember having this being a discussion after season 1, or last season tbh. Even in the Jose season, he was dropped for no reason for Alexis.

lsd

The Oracle
Offer PSG Martial plus 100, 120 million for Mbappe. Wouldn't get a better chance than this of getting Mbappe.

Or just get rid of him instead of making stupid offers which have no chance of happening

Baneofthegame

I think after dice years we should move him, Jose ruined him in my opinion, shame because when he first started with LVG I honestly thought he’d be amazing, just not consistent enough.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How come?

I was trying to say that unless we get a good offer for him (£50 million +) which provides us the funds to re-invest, then I think he should stay as he still has some quality to offer as part of our squad rotation.

I’m not desperate to see him sold, so I don’t think we should just sell him for the sake of it.
He's either to be kept in the team as He's quality or gone because he's isn't. Whether he's fetching a decent fee or not has no relevance to this.

For me he's a waste of space and should be moved on. If we get no decent fee he will stay and offer squad rotation. Not because we choose it. Because nobody ponies up the cash

If we want to sell him that's it.

Womp

idiot
Mbappe has only one year left on his contract.
I highly doubt PSG are strapped for cash. They'd rather as strong a team as possible to try and win the CL and lose him for free than get both money and a player which wouldn't come close to replicating what Mbappe does for them.

Thats even assuming Mbappe won't extend. It wouldn't even be worth considering for them imo. Unless we pay some ridiculous fees, Martial excluded

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Highly overrated, always has been, and given his massively inconsistent performances and the fact that he often looks like he can't be bothered, I'd move him on if we can get a decent fee. That said, if we can't get a decent fee, I'd still move him on. He's not a striker, never will be - his finishing is generally sub par - tries to side foot everything in rather than bang it in. He's a winger who has pace but who's dribbles come off too rarely as he hasn't actually got amazing ball control rather he's a glider who relies on exactly that movement to get past his man not his close ball control skills.