Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ifightdragons

De gea is the best possible keeper we can have for the foreseeable.

people need forget this bad with feet stuff. A goalkeepers first job is keeping the ball out the net, there are very few better.

De gea for the last 9 years has had the worst of worst defended in front of him. Very rarely had a settled back four. Even this season varane or Martinez have had their injury problems. For a man United goalkeeper he is major over worked. De Gea is facing more shots in a game than big ed or schmeichel would face over a month of football. If your facing that many attacks eventually your gonna make mistakes it’s enevitable.

Schmeichel to me the greatest keeper I’ve ever seen was fond of the odd mad howler slicing a clearance or two and rush’s of blood to the head but he is maybe only facing 2/3 shots a game so mistakes seem few and far between.

De gea has saved us alot more than cost us and will continue to do so.

we shouldn’t be playing short from the back anyway cause it just invites trouble and we aren’t good enough to do it.
I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is simply emotional drivel, with no basis in neither facts or stats.

Schmeichel played in an era where teams didn't press us high. So he didn't really need to be great with his feet. Still, he was miles better at sweeping and collecting crosses than de Gea, even though he was prone to clangers.

As so many have already pointed out, the main problem with de Gea is that he stops us from becoming a side who can dominate possession and control games.

De Gea hurts us both defensively and offensively by not being able to:
1. Recycle possession without having to boot it long all the time.
2. Pick up high balls so the opposition don't create chances and we don't have to make clearances back into their feet.
3. Pass through the press to progress our possession up the field.
4. Maintain a high sweeping line, so that our midfield and attackers can maintain their high line.
5. Positionally command our backline, and effectively direct them by constantly pointing out the best passing lines, like any good keeper constantly does.

By replacing de Gea with a modern keeper who is an average shot stopper, but great with his feet, can collect crosses and maintain a sweeping line, as well as command, we will:
1. Concede far less chances and goals against.
2. Be more in control of the ball, thus increase our own chances and goals.

This goes to show that replacing de Gea improves us not only defensively, but also offensively.
You want to improve us both defensively and offensively? You can just replace de Gea with almost any other goalkeeper who plays in Europe's top 6 (including Portugal) leagues. That's a statistical fact. That also includes the goalkeepers sat on the bench at most clubs.

A modern goalkeeper's job is no longer defined by his shot stopping as the primary attribute. If that was the case, Ederson wouldn't be considered world class. Ederson's shot stopping isn't great, it's just good enough. But, he is a fantastic ball handling footballer, who acts as a third centre back, thus creating overloads in City's defense. As a result, creating chances and maintaining possession in City's final third is too hard for most teams to do. And this leads to them conceding far less chances and goals, than if they just had a great shot stopper like de Gea...

...you know, like Joe Hart was for City.

Last edited:

berbasloth4

These days, teams will do high press. We won’t be able to retain possession agains teams that play high press because de Gea will just kick the ball long and that becomes 50:50 turns over (De Zerbi calls it gambling). That’s why we have been struggling in away matches because opposition teams tend to play high press and press DDG, which forced him to play long and we couldn’t have control of the game. De Gea giving the ball away in this way is equivalent to us conceded shots and potentially goals.
which I find weird is when he was working with Steele and Alvarez his distribution was decent. Obviously not doing enough work on it. Schmeichel used to join in rondos with the outfield players to improve his and to give players confidence to pass to him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
which I find weird is when he was working with Steele and Alvarez his distribution was decent. Obviously not doing enough work on it. Schmeichel used to join in rondos with the outfield players to improve his and to give players confidence to pass to him.
Because DDG can distribute without being pressed which anyone can. Back then high press wasn’t a thing. These days, most teams including the lesser teams do high press and they will press defenders and keeper. If we want to survive and still take a control of the game against those high press, we need a keeper who can play from the back by remaining calm and capable to retain possession against high press. It’s a very important aspect of a keeper now that teams are doing high press.

Lights Out

Absolutely not. A new GK and a striker have to be the top priority this summer

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

people need forget this bad with feet stuff. A goalkeepers first job is keeping the ball out the net, there are very few better.

De gea for the last 9 years has had the worst of worst defended in front of him. Very rarely had a settled back four. Even this season varane or Martinez have had their injury problems. For a man United goalkeeper he is major over worked. De Gea is facing more shots in a game than big ed or schmeichel would face over a month of football. If your facing that many attacks eventually your gonna make mistakes it’s enevitable.

Schmeichel to me the greatest keeper I’ve ever seen was fond of the odd mad howler slicing a clearance or two and rush’s of blood to the head but he is maybe only facing 2/3 shots a game so mistakes seem few and far between.

we shouldn’t be playing short from the back anyway cause it just invites trouble and we aren’t good enough to do it.
It truly astonishes me that his defenders still try to make out that the only issue is his passing.

He's literally the worst in the league at dealing with crosses (which means he has to face more very dangerous close-range shots than a keeper who just deals with it), he's one of the worst at sweeping (which means he has to face more dangerous shots than if he'd come out to deal with it and also causes our defensive line to sit deeper than it should), he's poor at controlling his box and communicating with the defenders (which means he ends up facing more shots), he constantly hands possession straight back to the opposition (which means he has to face more attacks while reducing how many attacks we can build), literally concedes goals because he tries to avoid contact which might hurt him, and makes too many mistakes to concede goals that he should be stopping. Meanwhile he makes a small handful of truly great saves a season and somehow that more than makes up for all the problems and is almost impossible to upgrade?

Oranges038

That is all just an absolute load of horse shit.

Oranges038

It truly astonishes me that his defenders still try to make out that the only issue is his passing.

He's literally the worst in the league at dealing with crosses (which means he has to face more very dangerous close-range shots than a keeper who just deals with it), he's one of the worst at sweeping (which means he has to face more dangerous shots than if he'd come out to deal with it and also causes our defensive line to sit deeper than it should), he's poor at controlling his box and communicating with the defenders (which means he ends up facing more shots), he constantly hands possession straight back to the opposition (which means he has to face more attacks while reducing how many attacks we can build), literally concedes goals because he tries to avoid contact which might hurt him, and makes too many mistakes to concede goals that he should be stopping. Meanwhile he makes a small handful of truly great saves a season and somehow that more than makes up for all the problems and is almost impossible to upgrade?
I've said to people before who think it's ok to play like this.

To actually just go and play in goal and play exactly how he does, you'll soon see how much of a problem that this style of goalkeeping creates within a team.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's like the Gerrard version of a goalkeeper. A player whose highlight reel hero baller, Roy Of The Rovers style is to the detriment of his team.

At least Liverpool had the option of getting a midfielder like Xabi Alonso to do some of the work Gerrard couldn't do. I don't suppose we can play with two goalkeepers.

TheLittleOne

I’d be more than happy if we could sign someone of Romero’s quality to be our number one next season (and the foreseeable future). But there seems to be a belief that we can only replace DDG with an absolute world beater - which kind of overlooks the fact that Dave hasn’t been a world beater himself in years.
Someone just had the nerve today or yesterday to say DDG would have been considered the best ever in the 90's :D I'd take Oliver Kahn over prime DDG anyday of the week even when I have a United bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.