Should we sell Dan James? - Leeds move confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiqCantona

James has already had 2 seasons with us, and I don't think his improvement has been satisfactory. He's hardly had a total of 10 games in the past 2 seasons where he's actually done well. He's also 23 (turning 24), the same age as Rashford - and he's miles away from the expected level. He needs to improve massively if he's to hold a place on the bench let alone the XI.

And after Sancho, I feel our squad is well-stocked in the RW area. We have Sancho, Amad, Greenwood, and Pellistri all vying for that 1 spot. I just don't see James getting much game time this season tbh.

I'd rather we sell him this summer while we can still get a decent fee for him.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It's a yes from me.
He has his uses, but to be honest, with Sancho in, I'd rather give these minutes to Amad and Greenwood

OverratedOpinion

Depends if Ole trusts Amad enough to give him those minutes. I would not see any issue with selling him.

Lelouch geass

Do you think you can win with only quality players? Dan James is a great squad player who can be used in cups and incase of injuries. I think he has pace and can score some odd goals. Plus Amad and Elanga are not ready yet. Bigger the squad better it is.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
100%. Give Amad his minutes. Only remotely effective when he has space to run in to. Even then his decision making and end product is not good enough. Sounds harsh, but he's well below the quality we need to even be a squad player IMO.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah it’s time. We’re pretty stacked in wide forwards now and Amad should be getting any minutes James could get.

From James’ point of view, he could be playing 40-50 games per season at a Premier League club.

We should be looking for £30m for him.

RiqCantona

Yeah it’s time. We’re pretty stacked in wide forwards now and Amad should be getting any minutes James could get.

From James’ point of view, he could be playing 40-50 games per season at a Premier League club.

We should be looking for £30m for him.
We'll hardly get £20m I think. £30m can get you Lingard or similar quality.

TehRed

I'd be happy enough to sell him at this point, or at least loan out with a buy option in there as well. Amad looks infinitely more promising. James hasn't shown too much outside of good pace in his time with us, the lack of end product doesn't help his cause.

padzilla

Hipster
I think if a player doesn't show something in two seasons playing regularly with the first team chances are they are never going to.
He will no doubt be given a nine year contract any day now by us though because he works hard regardless of what he actually produces.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think Ole will still like him as an option a times, so I doubt he'll go this personally.

I would imagine he's not on massive money either, so not exactly a priority to move on given some of the other players we need to shift this summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
yes.

he won’t ever be united quality and will find minutes even harder to get now.

SecondFig

I'd sell him with a buy-back clause - think he could make a step-up still but he needs regular game time to do that and he's not going to get that here. A club like Brighton would be ideal for him - good technical coaching and style of play, and guaranteed minutes on the pitch

Pickle85

Yep. I reckon he'll fashion a decent career at a mid to low placed prem team and good luck to him. He's always given everything when he's played and chipped in with a few goals from time to time.

El Zoido

I'd sell him with a buy-back clause - think he could make a step-up still but he needs regular game time to do that and he's not going to get that here. A club like Brighton would be ideal for him - good technical coaching and style of play, and guaranteed minutes on the pitch
He’ll never be anything other than average.

That said, I’ve no problem keeping him around for now, he’s probably on one of the lower salaries in the squad and can still be effective against certain oppositions and tactics. We wouldn’t regret selling him though.

RiqCantona

Do you think you can win with only quality players? Dan James is a great squad player who can be used in cups and incase of injuries. I think he has pace and can score some odd goals. Plus Amad and Elanga are not ready yet. Bigger the squad better it is.
We already have enough options. Amad isn't ready yet, true... but neither is James (and he's 24). Neither of them are the finished product, and I'd rather give minutes to Amad rather than James.

Having said that, having a "bigger" squad definitely helps - but then you don't want players to sit around just to make up the numbers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We'll hardly get £20m I think. £30m can get you Lingard or similar quality.
£30m can get you a nearly 29 year old Lingard in the last year of his contract.

Dan James will be 24 next season and has an attribute that midtable and below Premier League teams value over anything else - raw pace. He’d be an excellent edition to any Premier League side outside of the Top 6.

Bogga

Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Martial... lots of people ahead of him. Let him go...

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think we might need him this season. I don't think he's good enough but, with Rashford having surgery after the Euros, and Sancho potentially needing a settling in period, I don't think it does us any harm to keep him as an option for a little while longer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
with Elanga breaking through I think he’ll be talking James place in the near future anyway.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For the price we paid he’s done a job but no doubt we have much better options now for his position.

It would surprise me if we didn’t make a bit of a profit if we sold him too.

dinostar77

No, we need to keep him a squad is not just made up of superstar players. He works hard and has the lightning speed ole wants for our style of play.

Rather sell a lazy, unmotivated martial then a young hard working rapid winger like james. Plus hes better on the left so as backup for rashford he'd be fine.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Not really a question. It’s best for everyone if he moves on. 20m to Brighton seems about right.

Bwuk

Yes it’s time. I’d sell both him and Martial, we have a lot of players for the front 3 positions.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Depends on if Amad and Martial are staying, otherwise James is a solid back up to Rashford on the left wing if Ole chooses to use him regularly and in his favoured position.

Idxomer

He has proven he would never be good enough for a top club.

This is the best time to sell while his value is relatively high.

Don't Kill Bill

We have numerous brilliant young players who are better than him and need game time in his position not to mention better first team squad players now Sancho is here.

He had a good international tournament which gets us the best price we are going to get for him this summer.

Sell.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Keep him, he's a good squad player who i don't think will start sulking if he isn't always starting eleven.
There's value in having that kind of people in the squad.

davidmichael

My thoughts are that Dan James is a good squad player who’ll accept his role and never complain as he’s happy to be at the club BUT if we could get £25 million for him then I’d say yes sell him.

Rashford is first choice on the left (which is where James is best) followed by Pogba, Sancho, Martial, Diallo and Shoretire then on the right there’s Sancho, Diallo, Greenwood and Pellestri so we’re extremely well stocked on the wings and not one of those players outside of Pogba are over 25.

I’ve seen in a few places today that Real want DVB and he’s possibly being used as a makeweight for Varane then there’s potentially Lingard being used as a makeweight for Rice, potentially we could use James as a makeweight somewhere too ?

Obviously I’d prefer straight cash though and I think £25 million for a young wide player with outrageous pace who’s got a couple of years of Premier League and Champions League experience as well as being an experienced international that’s played international tournaments is a very fair price, I think James is a perfect mid table team player who’d probably be better playing every week.

POF

If he could use his speed more effectively he'd be a really good option. When the team is defending a lead, someone with his work rate and speed is a fantastic option.

But currently, he doesn't use his speed well enough.

I think he will be sold at some point. I'd rather they do it on the back of a good run of form to get big money for him.

RiqCantona

I think we might need him this season. I don't think he's good enough but, with Rashford having surgery after the Euros, and Sancho potentially needing a settling in period, I don't think it does us any harm to keep him as an option for a little while longer.
Agreed. And perhaps see if he does improve and hold his own. One more seasons can't hurt I suppose.

Dan_F

I was waiting for the “I’d rather sell Martial first posts” as I was scrolling down. James’ stock is pretty high after a good Euro’s, Martial is coming off one of his worst seasons, it’s pointless selling him right now regardless of what you think about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.