Should we start booing to show our discontent?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Booing.

That'll teach some owners who probably haven't been within 1,000 miles of the ground in years.

youmeletsfly

Yes, booing is a start, but it mostly aimed at players/the managers.
The easiest way for the board to notice it is if we stop going to games.

Whatsername

Some big banners direct to the team might be more to the point and effective
The huge ‘standards’ one showing Cantona, Keane and Robbo has been displayed at some games but not sure how much notice the players would take of it as they’d only see it during the warm up, it’s too big to have on display during the game. Not sure if they’d understand the meaning of it anyway.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
What makes you think so?

People and players reacts to carrot and also "stick"

Fergie is well known for his hairdryer, and Keane wasn't a nice fella either. Some people / players reacts to applaud, some got into their head.

I don't know where this myth that only applaud make them feel better as if it's set on stone, it's not like they're playing much better with all the applaud these last 10 years isnt it?
You are probably quite smart. Have a look at any articles on the internet and see what the experts say about how people react to public ridicule and embarrassment. I've worked in the field of leadership and psychology for the last 35 years...it doesn't motivate people to perform better.

However, just like on social media and in the pub if it makes YOU feel better to vent in this way...go for it!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You are probably quite smart. Have a look at any articles on the internet and see what the experts say about how people react to public ridicule and embarrassment. I've worked in the field of leadership and psychology for the last 35 years...it doesn't motivate people to perform better.

However, just like on social media and in the pub if it makes YOU feel better to vent in this way...go for it!
Stick and carrot has been around since... you know... civilization.

But hey. 20th century positivity vibes is the hype

Maticmaker

It would not surprise me with this set of players who seem so weak-willed/lacking in confidence etc. that they would start crying if the crowd booed them!
Ralf would then have to tell coaching staff to make sure the players have a handkerchief tucked down their shorts when they take the pitch, and don't forget to show them the Ipad/tablet app on how to use it! :rolleyes:

USREDEVIL

This thread has me asking if anyone at United, be it Ragnick or one of the coaches pulls these players to the side during training or whatever and gives them fecking hell about not giving up. Is nobody holding these players accountable? Do they just shrug their shoulders after a display like that against City, approve of their marketing people's ("we go again") post and then just wait for the next game? Because it sure seems that way.

Fluctuation0161

More protests against the running of the club by the Glazers? Need to pressure them to spend the money and give power to strucutre the club to someone like Ralf. Not only hire him as a consultant so they can ignore him.

Wing Attack Plan R

No. Booing just makes match-day fans look like cnuts. We all know the team is not performing well, we all know we want and expect to win every match. It's like, no fecking shit, people, we aren't good enough. Booing does no good, does not help the players play better, and does not force the hand of the Glazers.

JB7

This shit again, fecking booing like a kid at a pantomime? Get a life.

van Nistelrooy

Yes. When deserved.

It's the only way the ownership understand our frustration, bar a protest to the scale of last season before the Liverpool game.

MrBest

In my opinion, booing does nothing except create noise. You need to hit the club and players in the artery to make an impact, stop attending games, don't buy merch, cancel mutv subscriptions etc. Money talks and walks for pur owners and these players get paid because we do all the above.

diarm

Players go to Real Madrid to be the best in the world, in large part because their fans accept nothing less.

It doesn't matter if you're Karim Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo or Zinedine Zidane - you play 2 bad games in a row and their fans are going to let you know in no uncertain terms.

Meanwhile at United, we've sat through a decade of abject performance and have threads wondering whether or not we should boo.

You get what you ask for, and while we're happy to settle for mediocrity, that's exactly what we'll get.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Stick and carrot has been around since... you know... civilization.

But hey. 20th century positivity vibes is the hype

Apparently the stick never worked. But yeah...let's bring back 19th century motivational methods and try applying them in 2022.

Seriously...have a good read of some articles and books by:

Triplett 1897
Paulus 1974
Social Psychology 1983
Teresa Amabile - Harvard Business School 2011

I guess you know where this is going.

I think I will believe my own work based experience and the studies of major psychologists over the last 100 years.

Good luck with your stick.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So getting a bit of perspective, Booing is just the simple act of showing the team that you are pissed off with them. It doesn't improve anything, it wont get players who aren't trying, to try harder, plus it sends really mixed messages to the players who give a shit.

Booing makes us sound like a bunch of entitled pricks like Villa fans were a few years back, what next, white handkerchiefs like Madrid. If you want to make a demonstration, get behind the players who clearly DO give a shit, sing their songs etc. The ones left out will get the message and can FRO in May