Should we take the FA Cup seriously?

lysglimt

Scout
Mason Greenwood can't become the first player to score a hat-trick in an FA Cup final since erm the last player who scored a hat-trick in an FA Cup final if we don't take it seriously, so tomorrow is the most important game of the season so far, none of this go through the motions/don't get injured nonsense, let's win it.
Only Stan Mortensen has done it - in the 50s :)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think you have to take every competition seriously if you want to instill the right mentality. When you start making concessions on competitions, you end up with an Arsenal like mentality.

led_scholes

It s a no brainer for me. If we were talking about Europa League than A team for sure. Unfortunately, FA Cup has lost its value. We should focus on top 4 only now. Why risk our players' health?? I am also confident that by going with a counter attacking B Team, we have some chances too. Its not like we will field a Rostov-like u-18 team. I want to see Axel, Dalot, TFM, Fred, Mctominay, Ighalo, Romero, Chong even Pereira play. They will be motivated and in case we go through I want these players playing in the final too, no matter our program.

Since the beginning of the season, for me it was always PL Champions>EL champions> 2nd, 3rd, 4th place >>> FA Cup > League Cup. Thus, EL should be our priority, but since it does not mess with our current program, full speed ahead for top 4.

ArjenIsM3

I think you have to take every competition seriously if you want to instill the right mentality. When you start making concessions on competitions, you end up with an Arsenal like mentality.
There's a difference between taking a competition seriously and not rotating the team though. What Pool did in playing a full youth team and Klopp not even showing up for a game, that's not taking it seriously. Rotating because the team are knackered and we've a busy schedule ahead doesn't mean you're not taking the competition seriously.

Romero
Laird-Bailly-Lindelof-Dalot
Fred-McTominay
Chong-Mata-James
Ighalo

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There's a difference between taking a competition seriously and not rotating the team though. What Pool did in playing a full youth team and Klopp not even showing up for a game, that's not taking it seriously. Rotating because the team are knackered and we've a busy schedule ahead doesn't mean you're not taking the competition seriously.

Romero
Fred-McTominay
Chong-Mata-James
Ighalo
I get that but playing the above is not going to beat a full strength Chelsea side.

Romero
Dalot - Maguire - Lindelof -AWB
Fred Matic
Rashford Mata James
Igalho

Is enough rotation for me. You've changed far too much IMO.

Redfrog

We have 3 matches left and then if we are on the final we will have a week rest.

I think we should go all out for every game. 3 matches are not that much...we are not playing for the long run there. The players should just give everything.

I don't think we are that tired anyway. We started to play after the second goal yesterday. It is a confidence thing more then anything IMO. And for confidence nothing will be better then a win on sunday. We have to extend that unbeaten run...

The FA cup is a trophy and we are two matches away. It will do wonders for a young team as ours. It is a trophy in the cabinet and we are one away from Arsenal I think. It is the oldest competition in football !

Would like for us to win the FA and the Europa ! At the end of the day it would have been the best season since Fergie if we can do that.

Reactions: Rolandofgilead

ArjenIsM3

I get that but playing the above is not going to beat a full strength Chelsea side.

Romero
Dalot - Maguire - Lindelof -AWB
Fred Matic
Rashford Mata James
Igalho

Is enough rotation for me. You've changed far too much IMO.
I don't believe Chelsea are going to go full strength. They're in the same position as us. Yes, I've made a lot of changes. But that's because so many first team players look knackered. Matic, Pogba, Bruno, AWB, Maguire.. they all need a rest.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't believe Chelsea are going to go full strength. They're in the same position as us. Yes, I've made a lot of changes. But that's because so many first team players look knackered. Matic, Pogba, Bruno, AWB, Maguire.. they all need a rest.
Fair, I think they will, but we'll see. I think Bruno and Pogba do for sure, but I think changing our main midfield AND half our back four is asking for a poor performance - which helps no one.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Romero
Fred-McTominay
Chong-Mata-James
Ighalo
This. We are playing very lethargic. Tired.

Priorities are 1) League
2) Europa League ... and a distant
3) FA Cup

In a couple of summers, I think we will have a squad to have a go at all four fronts, not this summer when we need to get into the CL -- of not for anything, financial reasons.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We both play Wednesday with crucial games: West Ham are still in big shit, Liverpool? Maybe they will want to sign off with 99 points even though the record is gone. Either way, Lampard isn't going to leave it to chance that Liverpool will be on the 'beach.'

I expect changes but I fancy one of Rashford and Martial to be on the bench,Greenwood and Odion to start. Bailly,Fred,McT. If Shaw is still feeling his ankle then TFM to continue

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Anyone know what's happened to Chong? I know he signed but not heard a thing. Is he training with the 1st team?

ArjenIsM3

Fair, I think they will, but we'll see. I think Bruno and Pogba do for sure, but I think changing our main midfield AND half our back four is asking for a poor performance - which helps no one.
Yeah I agree it's risky, but I'm not sure playing more first team players will be any less of a risk. Our performances since the Villa game have been pretty poor while playing our best eleven. We've not dominated those games and we've looked knackered. Yes, we were unlucky in the Southampton game with the Williams injury and the Romeu red card situation but we weren't dominating the game. We had 10 good minutes in which our performance was good but in the rest of the game we didn't play well at all. Same with Palace. A few flashes of brilliance from Rashford and Martial resulted in the two goals but based on performance and chances on another day it would have been a draw or a loss even. They just didn't finish their chances while we did. In both games it was obvious the other team had higher energy levels than us. It's a very difficult decision that Ole has to make and the reason it's so hard is because of our poor squad depth.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah I agree it's risky, but I'm not sure playing more first team players will be any less of a risk. Our performances since the Villa game have been pretty poor while playing our best eleven. We've not dominated those games and we've looked knackered. Yes, we were unlucky in the Southampton game with the Williams injury and the Romeu red card situation but we weren't dominating the game. We had 10 good minutes in which our performance was good but in the rest of the game we didn't play well at all. Same with Palace. A few flashes of brilliance from Rashford and Martial resulted in the two goals but based on performance and chances on another day it would have been a draw or a loss even. They just didn't finish their chances while we did. In both games it was obvious the other team had higher energy levels than us. It's a very difficult decision that Ole has to make and the reason it's so hard is because of our poor squad depth.
Yeah, I don't think there is a a definitive answer as there's pros and cons due to the poor squad depth. I have faith Ole will make the right call though :D

Goku23

Normally yes but under current circumstances definitely not players need a break going into the final games of the season

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I mean Pogba was right all along, as I said he was at the time. We all want a new challenge. We all are fecking sick of just competing for top 4 every year. Now’s our chance to actually do something rewarding that will be remembered... yet people want our management to tell the lads to not worry about winning trophies and just focus on beating West fecking Ham for fourth! I’d get it if we had league deciders for the title and a Champions League quarter or semi sandwiched around this one, but not a game against 16th at home for third or fourth.
We’re gonna be tired against Chelsea regardless, so we may lose even with our strongest selection, but let’s look to make this season a memorable one. We’re not Spurs.
Be clear: you are willing to greatly jeopardise qualification into CL, for the chance the play in FA cup Final, likely vs Man City?

The situation demands prioritisation: Which one are you choosing?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Be clear: you are willing to greatly jeopardise qualification into CL, for the chance the play in FA cup Final, likely vs Man City?

Well that's a straw man if I ever saw one.

fps

B team and kids please with maybe 6 first team squadders and 2-3 first 11 players. Even though I think some of the performance drop is nerves bringing on fatigue rather than simply fatigue.

Withnail

Well that's a straw man if I ever saw one.
Not if you take it as read that we can't do both and I'd agree.

If we play a full side against Chelsea on Sunday the tanks will be completely empty against West ham on Wednesday.

They'll have had 5 days rest since tonight's match and we only beaten them once in two years.

With CL qualification on a knife-edge, we should rest players but I think Ole will go for the win.

Loon

:lol:
I want to win this. Which means, the law of averages will favour Chelsea or City will bum us in the final...

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thankfully Ole is not a caftard and is of the oldschool mindset in wanting to win trophies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Those two extra rest days will be a massive advantage. Can't really see us winning this one. Even with our best side.
How many times have we seen teams having had extra days rest and having rings run round them by a team that played a few days before. It's all to play for.

How many times have we seen teams having had extra days rest and having rings run round them by a team that played a few days before. It's all to play for.
Yeah, but we've played a lot of games lately, with little rotation, and I think we've looked tired last couple of games. I do hope we give it a go, we are one match from the FA-cup final, but I have a bad feeling. Think the run ends at 19.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm just gutted that we've already lost against Leicester on the final day. Insurmountable that extra rest. Ditto West Ham. Ditto Chelsea.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Domestically we have a maximum of 4 games left. We are 5-0 up from the first leg of the Europe league and a quarter final draw that is extremely winnable, plus a decent rest in between.

There isn't even a question that we should be also going out for the FA Cup.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What are we going to do next season we've CL football midweek and PL at the weekends? Everything is going to be jeopardised.
It seems as though you only started following football since the lockdown.

Early stages of CL have many easy games that allow for squad rotation, we don't have to win every single game when we play during those sequences, the squad will have a different spread of fitness/recovery amongst the players, we'll have a stronger squad because of incoming transfers.
Many more reasons I cant be arsed to write, because it's all so obvious, unless you only started following football since the lockdown, in which case watch more football and learn.

Lastly, we wont have the conundrum you write about if we don't get CL football next year, so your whole premise is rather pointless too.

Your stance reminds me of the redcafe infamous words of @GlastonSpur 'want, Want, WANT'.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It seems as though you only started following football since the lockdown.

Early stages of CL have many easy games that allow for squad rotation, we don't have to win every single game when we play during those sequences, the squad will have a different spread of fitness/recovery amongst the players, we'll have a stronger squad because of incoming transfers.
Many more reasons I cant be arsed to write, because it's all so obvious, unless you only started following football since the lockdown, in which case watch more football and learn.

Lastly, we wont have the conundrum you write about if we don't get CL football next year, so your whole premise is rather pointless too.

Your stance reminds me of the redcafe infamous words of @GlastonSpur 'want, Want, WANT'.
Playing your strongest team, i.e. the team that you feel will give you the greatest chance of winning that particular match, on Sunday, Wednesday and Sunday doesn't mean making no changes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If we play a full side against Chelsea on Sunday the tanks will be completely empty against West ham on Wednesday.
They'll have had 5 days rest since tonight's match and we only beaten them once in two years.
With CL qualification on a knife-edge, we should rest players but I think Ole will go for the win.
If OGS goes for it, and we drop points vs West Ham or Leicester and miss CL through league, he will have to deal with the fall out.

Ive been 100% behind him since his appointment. But I'll be fuming at him if he makes a miscalculation on player fitness because of his stupid macho ego.

If he manages to pull off both, all the more power to him. But I've followed football for 35 odd years, and seen teams fall for this mistake time after time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Playing your strongest team, i.e. the team that you feel will give you the greatest chance of winning that particular match, on Sunday, Wednesday and Sunday doesn't mean making no changes.
Name me your three teams that win those 3 games. Lets see how you'd do it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If he manages to pull off both, all the more power to him. But I've followed football for 35 odd years, and seen teams fall for this mistake time after time.
Because famously the teams winning competitions rarely win multiples...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think the time to think about rotating was a few games ago. We only have 3 significant matches left we may as well play as strong of a team as possible in all of them at this stage and sub players off as appropriate. Definitely higher quality backup needed for next season

Paul_Scholes18

Name me your three teams that win those 3 games. Lets see how you'd do it.
De Gea x3
AWB x2 Dalot Lindelöf -Maguire x3 Shaw 2x Williams
Matic x2 Fred x2 Pogba x2 Mctominay x1
Bruno x2 Lingard x0
Greenwood x2 Ighalo x1 Martial x3 Rashford x3

If this makes any sense. How to do it is pretty straightforward.

Gasolin

This. We are playing very lethargic. Tired.

Priorities are 1) League
2) Europa League ... and a distant
3) FA Cup

In a couple of summers, I think we will have a squad to have a go at all four fronts, not this summer when we need to get into the CL -- of not for anything, financial reasons.
I don't think we are tired. We are not focused enough because we have some trauma but the fitness seems to be there. So we need to keep winning and create momentum with wins.

Lynty

---------------------De Gea-----------------

AWB---Lindelof----Maguire---TFM

-----------McTom-------Fred-----------

Greenwood-----Pogba-----Rashford

----------------------Ighalo------------------

Minimal changes for me. Still have to be in for this and a win could give us swag going into the final few games.

Can't afford injury to Martial. More important to keep Matic fresh for West Ham.

Bruno needs a rest

HailtotheKing

Yeah, it's not even just about the West Ham game. If we play full strength against Chelsea, we'll be knackered by Wednesday. What will we be by Sunday then when we play Leicester, who have had a whole weeks rest? Chelsea have had two days extra rest for the Cup game so will make us work harder. West Ham will have had 2 days extra rest by the time we play them so will make us work harder. And Leicester will have had 3 extra days rest by the time we play them. It's virtual suicide to play most of our first team on Sunday. I really hope Ole sees sense. Pogba, Bruno, Martial. Rest all please!

If we don't qualify for the Champions League it's not just Sancho not coming, it's the threat of our own stars leaving.