SimCity

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Is there any way to view the worst rated products on amazon?
Just look through the best sellers on Origin. I'm sure a few will be up there.
Oh dear

Part of the problem with SimCity is that some of the calculations are done server-side, it's more than just used for DRM.
Oh dear again.

Okay I see what you mean Lambs. Is this what is in store for the PS4?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Sim City is on PS4?
Online DRM and cloud gaming are well known sources of apprehension among gamers. At least I'm interested if someone who has connections with the industry expresses concern, with regards to the possilbe future of these things. Posting in a thread partly about botched DRM, seems appropriate.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Oh dear

Oh dear again.

Okay I see what you mean Lambs. Is this what is in store for the PS4?
The next gen is designed to usher in cloud gaming and shit like this, yes.

It will get worse, if there's anything I'd love to be wrong about it's this, but I know for a fact there's stuff in the pipeline that'll make this shit seem like value.

I'm actually surprised on this game though, I can't believe people were willing to pay so much for it under those terms. But soon we'll have no choice in the matter.

Redlambs

Online DRM and cloud gaming are well known sources of apprehension among gamers. At least I'm interested if someone who has connections with the industry expresses concern, with regards to the possilbe future of these things. Posting in a thread partly about botched DRM, seems appropriate.
Well most actual developers are hardcore gamers and no, everyone I know hates where it's going.

The people in charge however, well they would have had it it last gen if they thought they could get away with it.

Steam has done well as a middle-ground, but that allows most games to be played offline and offers great value. Shit like Origin and the stuff Sony, M$ and other publishers are planning will take that model and feck it and us.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
People are well and truly pissed!

http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limit...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

That rating is quite something! :lol:
The most helpful review:

Fundamentally, SimCity has always been a 'software toy'. That means that there's no real end state, no way to win. It's just a thing that you play and experiment with. You build, and tinker, and mess around. It's a toy, not a game; it's a sandbox, not baseball.

So, in this iteration of the game, you don't even get to buy your toy. Rather, you rent a toy from EA, who lets you play with it only in very limited, circumscribed ways, only on their servers. So you have to have a live Internet connection at all times, and their servers have to be up, and have to have space for you. And the rules for play are draconian. If you want to, say, build a city, save it, blow it up with something terrible, and then restore from save, you can't do that anymore. That's an unauthorized usage of their toy. And if you figure out ways of using their toy that they don't like, they'll ban you forever.

All third-party modding is shut out. One of the best parts of SimCity 4 and The Sims is that users can create and share content among themselves for free. You will no longer be able to do this. You will be required to run only Official Authorized Content.

Further, you're not getting the whole game for your $60 or $80, depending on what version you're buying. EA's plan is to sell you Simcity 5 over and over and over. They've directly admitted that they already have it running with larger cities, but they're not releasing that now. They claim it's because it "won't run on Dad's PC", but the real reason is so they can sell it to you again later. Want subways? That's gonna be $20. Want railroads? Another $20. Bigger cities? Oh, that's in the $30 expansion.

Right now, if you look at The Sims 3, the game costs $30. But if also you buy all the DLC for it, it's *four hundred and seventy dollars*. This is what they are doing with SimCity 5; locking you into their server infrastructure, and then exploiting the heck out of your wallet.

This is a lousy deal, and you would be stupid to take it. Always-on DRM, and a deliberately crippled game, so that they can slowly uncripple it, charging you for every restored feature from prior versions.

Simcity 4 still works pretty well. It's not quite as nice as most current games, and can require you to 'pin' the process to just one processor on a multi-core system (ie, most current machines), but if you want a city builder where you won't have to pay extra to breathe both in AND out, that would be a better option.

But buying this game? In my opinion, you would be wiser to take three twenties out of your wallet, and light them on fire.

I don't think I'll ever buy a game that requires me to be online all the time.
EDIT- Well, on reading redlambs posts, who knows?

Is there a chance some niche developers exploit this and offers the opposite of this crap with quality titles?

NoLogo

It's amazing.

Every time I think it can't get worse with EA games they actually manage to feck it up even more.

The game itself is quite nice when you can play it, which unfortunately isn't very often.

rcoobc

What EA games have been completely and horrendously fecked up like this before? Or even close?

Spore was the original DRM bollocked game, but at least that ran. EA Games have always struggled with lack of patches and crap too.

NoLogo

What EA games have been completely and horrendously fecked up like this before? Or even close?

Spore was the original DRM bollocked game, but at least that ran. EA Games have always struggled with lack of patches and crap too.
Well I was more talking about franchises and companies they ruined through rushed releases and watering down gameplay according to what their analysts thought people wanted from games.

Castia

Star Wars: The Old Republic was a complete shambles on launch. For the first 2 weeks they even did scheduled maintenance in EU prime time because they refused to do it separate from the NA times. It was also incredibly rushed for release, another 6 months in production and this game could have been great. Massive failure in the end this should have done so much better, A Bioware MMO with the Star Wars IP and one of the biggest budgets in gaming history completely ruined.

Skywarden

It's amazing.

Every time I think it can't get worse with EA games they actually manage to feck it up even more.

The game itself is quite nice when you can play it, which unfortunately isn't very often.
The game is dumbed down and watered down to fit in a couple of expansions.

Regarding the bold part, it most certainly can:

:D

Redlambs

I don't think I'll ever buy a game that requires me to be online all the time.
EDIT- Well, on reading redlambs posts, who knows?
It will happen, that's what the next gen is all about, getting everyone signed up ready for it.

Is there a chance some niche developers exploit this and offers the opposite of this crap with quality titles?
Well there's a lot of indie stuff on Steam and there will always be those around, there always has been and always will be. However when we do go full cloud, we'll still be stuck with having to go full publisher servers to get them.

There will be good games coming through, but as we saw last generation and into the next, the mainstream ones will mostly be dumb as feck.

Drainy

I'd say that DA2's reuse of the same environments 15 times was almost as obnoxious as this issue :lol: At least this server issue will eventually be fixed, that shitty game design will be the same forever

Then ME3's ending was so rushed and utterly pathetic, just jarring with concepts introduced in the last 10 mins, that fans of the series felt empty for months.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Sadly I don't this is the end for DRM.

People should boycott the game as this issue affects all gamers. Imagine a future where building a museum in Sim City costs a real life £1 for the download.

feck that.
The concept for sim city 5 is pretty under-handed and I agree people should boycott it. Atleast sell the full game rather for that kind of money.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It will happen, that's what the next gen is all about, getting everyone signed up ready for it.

Well there's a lot of indie stuff on Steam and there will always be those around, there always has been and always will be. However when we do go full cloud, we'll still be stuck with having to go full publisher servers to get them.

There will be good games coming through, but as we saw last generation and into the next, the mainstream ones will mostly be dumb as feck.
You're not really buying the game are you? Effectively you're paying 40 quid to rent a game out. Don't like it at all. Don't mind DLC but if it gets to the stage where you have to start buying content within the game to 'keep up' with others I'll be really fecked off. Hate all the micro transaction bollocks.

Redlambs

You're not really buying the game are you? Effectively you're paying 40 quid to rent a game out. Don't like it at all. Don't mind DLC but if it gets to the stage where you have to start buying content within the game to 'keep up' with others I'll be really fecked off. Hate all the micro transaction bollocks.
What? Have you actually read my posts?

:lol:

:(

Redlambs

Sorry? Question wasn't aimed at you, just in general, in the future we won't be "buying" games but "renting" them.
Ahh, that wasn't very clear.

Actually you have been 'renting' the game in a way for years, now they've found a way to stop you selling a physical copy. (Andrew~ won't like this :lol:)

I never sell games anyway, so that aspect doesn't bother me, it's the overall direction it's all going that does. We are well and truly over a barrel, well we will be within the next few years.

They were always going to find a way to capitalise on the mobile-phone shit and bring it to the big stage. That coupled with Cloud means there's going to be even less option and even more of the whole "like what we tell you" mentality.

Might as well buy this shit and get used to it. (Yeah right...)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-censors-its-own-support-number-on-its-forums-248865.phtml

EA censors its own support number on its forums

EA's SimCity saga has provided no shortage of comedy. Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw just yesterday proudly announced that the company is "hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality." Surely EA must be receiving a mountain of complaints as well, unless it somehow found a way to prevent customers from even contacting the support team. Hmmm...

As EA forum member LeLedg and others have accidentally discovered in a thread about customers trying to make a legitimate SimCity complaints, EA is preventing the customer assistance hotline number from even appearing in the forums. When you type out the number 866-543-5435, it is replaced by an asterisk, a common message board function typically used to block course language. Just to be safe, the forum-goers typed other permutations of the number in addition to completely different phone numbers -- it's only EA's number that's censored.
Hehe.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
:lol: imaging the number of complaints they must be getting if they resorted to that.

Skywarden

It has been a complete clusterfeck and they really should tell Lucy Bradshaw to shut her mouth unless they are enjoying this butchering.

Straight answers, they told us.
http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

You just need to read this article over at RPS (it's a long one, but it's an essential one) to understand how they are straight up lying to everyone, including themselves.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/16/simcity-bosss-straight-answers-seem-pretty-wiggly/

The game has even been hacked so it runs entirely offline. The modder(s) out there only need to create some sort of local save file and the humiliation is completed.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/

It's the biggest cock up and lie fest in gaming history.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was looking into the last game and came across a site where people posted 'projects' they had like building a new motorway. They took pictures of every stage as if it was a report of some kind and even drafted a pretend application for the construction work. All the text was professionally worded and the whole thing was huge.

It was, without doubt, the gayest thing I've ever seen.

Drainy

I see that the CEO of EA has resigned due to the poor financial performance of the company.. not surprising with the way they piss off their customer base..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I see that the CEO of EA has resigned due to the poor financial performance of the company.. not surprising with the way they piss off their customer base..
They completely underestimated their customer base. Every game is made as simply and cheaply as possible in order to maximise sales through quantity rather than quality and reduce production costs. Their strategy has been to buy out publishers with titles and use the names of their titles to sell copies rather than the quality of the game.

It's all well and good people complaining about piracy but what they are doing to the games industry is just as damaging. They're buying up all the competition and exploiting their good names.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
About time it caught up with them. The number of excellent game series that EA has destroyed by buying out the competition (the company that actually made the game) is disgraceful. The screw over their customers at any given chance, so I imagine there'd be a worldwide celebration if they finally stopped existing.

Skywarden

He had it coming. I mean he was CEO when EA took over Bioware for a price of ten Bébés and then failed astronomically when they fuelled the SWTOR project with $200m to try battle WoW for market shares. Recipe for disaster really.

Retirantmobs

Stokke Stalker - smells of fish
Anyone playing this then? Had it since release and really enjoying it now. Looking to join a or start a region with a few decent people who won't just abandon after a day or so. Origin ID is same as on here if anyone fancies it.

rcoobc

Anyone playing this then? Had it since release and really enjoying it now. Looking to join a or start a region with a few decent people who won't just abandon after a day or so. Origin ID is same as on here if anyone fancies it.
I want to get it, but it's so expensive.

Might get sim city 4

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sim City 4 is far and away a better game. The new Sim City is seriously lacking any real depth. Once you've sorted out a layout, you don't really have to do anything else. It just sort of happens on its own.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Sim city launched on the mac today. Despite delaying the launch by two months they clearly didn't learn much from the PC launch. Most people reporting it unplayable, maxes out at a piss poor resolution, crashes quite a bit, goes to shit when you try to run it on mac settings (and that's for the new macs too), the controls on the trackpad are atrocious and feel counter intuitive.