Simeone's record in Europe (CL + Europa)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's unbelievably good considering the team he is managing.

His team was knocked out in group stages of CL last season and that's the only time they were knocked out from CL by other team. Only other team that knocked them out was Real Madrid in last 5-6 years.

2011-12: Simeone became Atletico's manager in december, they were in Europa league.
They won it beating teams like Lazio, Valencia, Bilbao

2012-13: Again they played in Europa league as they finished 5th in previous season (since Simeone took over, only Spanish big 2 won more points than Atletico).
In Europa league they lost to Rubin Kazan in round of 32.
Won Spanish cup

2013-14: They won La Liga.
In CL lost to Madrid in finals in Extra time. They eliminated Milan, Barca, Chelsea to reach finals.
Spanish cup: Eliminated in semi finals vs Madrid.

2014-15: They won the group stage beating Juventus. They again lost to Real Madrid in QFs.

2015-16: They lost to Real Madrid in finals, they eliminated Barca, Bayern to reach finals.

2016-17: They won the group beating Bayern. They lost to Real Madrid in Semi Finals. They eliminated Leverkusen, Leicester.

2017-18: They lost in group stage finishing 3rd, dropped to Europa league and won it. They won against Sporting, Arsenal and Marseille.

2018-19: They finished 2nd in group, level on points with Dortmund. Leading first leg vs Juventus 2-0.

This is just unbelievably good. Since he took over, only Madrid and Rubin Kazan have eliminated them till last season.

He played in Europa league 3 times, won it twice.
Played in CL 5 times, reached 2 finals, 1 semi finals, 1 QF. Madrid eliminated them everytime.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Considering the team he is managing? Atletico doesn't have a low budget.

roonster09

Scout
They have compared to other European big teams and also its reference to how much they have improved since he became their manager.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They have compared to other European big teams.
Its a Urban myth. But anyway you will never take from me something good to say about them because they are by far the club I least like in Spain. And not a Simeone fan neither.

Skills

Snitch
One of the best managers of this generation.

Only Guardiola is better than him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Its a Urban myth. But anyway you will never take from me something good to say about them because they are by far the club I least like in Spain. And not a Simeone fan neither.
How is it an urban myth? And whether you’re a fan or not you should be able to offer an unbiased opinion.

roonster09

Scout
How is it a myth when the money spent (in and out) is there for all to see and their wage bill (for FY17 as reported by UEFA) was 12th highest in Europe.

Re bold part, cheers.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How is it an urban myth? And whether you’re a fan or not you should be able to offer an unbiased opinion.
Because it is. Its my opinion, and I don't have to like their type of football just because everyone wants to say they are great because they are underdogs.

I mean they have more money to invest than a lot of teams in Europe, hardly proletarians.

Siorac

Ten clubs spent more than Atletico since Simeone had taken over, including Inter.

If we look at net spend (I know, I know but it is relevant for a club like Atleti that regularly had to sell its best assets), they are 40th.

And it's not like they started off that period with a world class squad (unlike Real Madrid, who also have a low net spend): they finished 9th and 7th in the last two full seasons before Simeone.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ten clubs spent more than Atletico since Simeone had taken over, including Inter.

If we look at net spend (I know, I know but it is relevant for a club like Atleti that regularly had to sell its best assets), they are 40th.

And it's not like they started off that period with a world class squad (unlike Real Madrid, who also have a low net spend): they finished 9th and 7th in the last two full seasons before Simeone.
And? Not saying he didn't deliver but honestly it isn't the most impressive thing ever done on European Football.

Siorac

And? Not saying he didn't deliver but honestly it isn't the most impressive thing ever done on European Football.
It is up there though. He's done an impressive job on a comparatively lower budget.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Would be the perfect fit for Chelsea actually.
Simeone is nailed on to be the next manager of Inter Milano first... After that he might fancy his chances in England.. The same can be said about Zidane and Juve too..

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It is up there though. He's done an impressive job on a comparatively lower budget.
Again the low budget. Honestly if I want to compare with things done in the past is this more relevant than what Benitez did with Valencia? Mourinho with Porto? LVG with Ajax? Imo not, but anyway like I said they are far away from being the mess they were under Jesus Gil Y Gil.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Oh now net spend relevant all of a sudden :lol:

Also, which best assets did they sell under Simeone? De Gea and Aguero were already gone when he arrived. He lost Falcao after a few years but that void was immediately filled in by Diego Costa, and when Costa was sold to Chelsea they bought Griezmann and Mandzukic to replace him. Felipe Luis was gone for like a year. Only other ones I can think of are Turan, Miranda and Alderweireld (who was never a key part of their defense), unless you count the likes of Hernandez, Torres and Carrasco as "best assets".

OT: he's done a fantastisc job and I love watching them play, they're fascinating in a special kind of way. Wouldn't mind them winning the CL at their own place this season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How is it a myth when the money spent (in and out) is there for all to see and their wage bill (for FY17 as reported by UEFA) was 12th highest in Europe.

Re bold part, cheers.
Quote me when they win the Champions League. Then I may concede something. ;)

Siorac

Oh now net spend relevant all of a sudden :lol:

Also, which best assets did they sell under Simeone? De Gea and Aguero were already gone when he arrived. He lost Falcao after a few years but that void was immediately filled in by Diego Costa, and when Costa was sold to Chelsea they bought Griezmann and Mandzukic to replace him. Felipe Luis was gone for like a year. Only other ones I can think of are Turan, Miranda and Alderweireld (who was never a key part of their defense), unless you count the likes of Hernandez, Torres and Carrasco as "best assets".

OT: he's done a fantastisc job and I love watching them play, they're fascinating in a special kind of way. Wouldn't mind them winning the CL at their own place this season.
I always found net spend relevant. It's stupid not to. If I buy a house and then sell it to buy another then surely I'm not as wealthy as someone who can just buy both houses outright.

The only cases where it isn't that important is when comparing the likes of City and PSG. They have virtually unlimited budgets, FFP aside, and it doesn't really matter which one can get more out of selling their unwanted players.

And your argument basically says that whem they had to sell someone (Falcao, Costa) they bought well to replace them. That is surely a pro for Simeone?

roonster09

Scout
Yeah we know you are very relevant.
What? How does Simeone winning or not winning anything to do with this thread when we are talking about his history in CL and Europa?

Siorac

Again the low budget. Honestly if I want to compare with things done in the past is this more relevant than what Benitez did with Valencia? Mourinho with Porto? LVG with Ajax? Imo not, but anyway like I said they are far away from being the mess they were under Jesus Gil Y Gil.
Those were also very impressive achievements. Not sure what your point is.

Red Star One

Since 13/14 Atleti played 16 home games in the knock out stages in Europe (mostly CL apart from one season). They only conceded two goals in those and never had to chase the score. I might not be the biggest fan of this team and the way they play, but that’s unreal record.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Those were also very impressive achievements. Not sure what your point is.
Ok. Regardless of being or not, I don't know why everyone to post something has to say he is impressed. I mean its quite boring if everyone says the same. Honest question. Would you pay a ticket to watch them?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Why exactly?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I always found net spend relevant. It's stupid not to. If I buy a house and then sell it to buy another then surely I'm not as wealthy as someone who can just buy both houses outright.

The only cases where it isn't that important is when comparing the likes of City and PSG. They have virtually unlimited budgets, FFP aside, and it doesn't really matter which one can get more out of selling their unwanted players.

And your argument basically says that whem they had to sell someone (Falcao, Costa) they bought well to replace them. That is surely a pro for Simeone?
Yeah of course it is, I'm a big fan of Simeone mind you. I just didn't really agree that he's had to cope with losing his best players, apart from Falcao at the time and arguably Turan (who was already on the decline IIRC).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Impressive record for sure.

I'm not quite sure how he'd fare at clubs where attacking football/entertainment + winning is the priority, but I am sure we'll find out someday.

What I will say though, is that I have seen a few impressive attacking Atletico displays as well.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Why exactly?
From a not very pleasant time with their ultras when they come to play here I guess it was when Quique Flores was managing them on the UEFA Cup.

Not to mention all the shit it happened with us during the Summer was related with the post reaction after we lost there.

On top of that their connections with Mendes and the fact Gelson signed with them and they didn't payed a single Euro. Call it irrational hatred of them if you want.

Siorac

Ok. Regardless of being or not, I don't know why everyone to post something has to say he is impressed. I mean its quite boring if everyone says the same. Honest question. Would you pay a ticket to watch them?
You don't have to be impressed.

I would have loved to go to a game in the Vicente Calderon. Not sure about the new stadium but probably worth a visit.

I wouldn't want Simeone at United though.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

I would have loved to go to a game in the Vicente Calderon. Not sure about the new stadium but probably worth a visit.

Ok its a good and rational answer.

Anyway regardless of that will try to forget my dislike of them and say this. They are a somewhat impressive team to face particularly on knockout stages.

Honestly its more easier for them to win Cups than Domestic Leagues playing this way. One good way to evaluate him will be the day he leaves them and if he can implement that style with similar results on another League.

roonster09

Scout

Yeah, I love watching them play against big teams as they are always a good underdog story but I wouldn't want him at United.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ok another positive thing I can say about Simeone is the fact he won the Domestic League against Barcelona or Real Madrid, even if it was against a Martino Barcelona. And enough. :D

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
They have been incredible. I don't know they keep doing it. I know a lot of people hate it but I personally enjoy them in the CL. In the league their style can put you to sleep though because it's hard to watch them keep the same style against much inferior opponent. But it's fun watching them suffocate an excellent attacking side. Playing against them probably feels like you're playing 15-a-side.

roonster09

Scout
They have been incredible. I don't know they keep doing it. I know a lot of people hate it but I personally enjoy them in the CL. In the league their style can put you to sleep though because it's hard to watch them keep the same style against much inferior opponent. But it's fun watching them suffocate an excellent attacking side. Playing against them probably feels like you're playing 15-a-side.
Yeah, I was sort of exhausted when I watched their games vs Barca and Bayern. So intense and not sure how those players have such a great concentration levels.