Simon Stone's article on Ole's United

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Interesting read. Most of it is clarifying what we already know/suspect, but it's certainly encouraging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49144693

A couple of key points:

On training and fitness:
At the end of last season, when United's encouraging response to a change of manager gave way to a series of disappointing performances that culminated in an away draw at Huddersfield - who had taken four points from their previous 23 Premier League games - and a home defeat by already-relegated Cardiff, Solskjaer knew his squad were simply not fit enough for the front-foot style he wanted to implement.

United addressed that problem at the historic Waca cricket ground in Perth, which they used as their training base during an 11-day stay in Western Australia...

...Interestingly though, high-intensity work rose by 50% on the previous summer. During the two games in Australia, against Perth Glory and Leeds United, total distance covered rose by 10%, although, in the heat and humidity of Singapore and Shanghai that fell slightly in matches against Inter Milan and Tottenham.

Although most certainly not a return to the old days of going on long runs to build up endurance, Solskjaer does place value on running and expects an element of this in most aspects of training, even during tactical drills.

There were more gym sessions and more preventative work on the hamstring and groin areas, in addition to a greater amount of core strengthening work.

This might be viewed as routine stuff. But Solskjaer felt he had to address the fitness of his squad as a matter of urgency. In his view, Mourinho had built it to counter attack, not to dominate and press as sides such as Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham do, and which he feels United's tradition demands.

By its nature, this requires greater fitness, allied, in theory, to better technical ability. It is no surprise City are one of the Premier League's most hard-working sides, in addition to the most skilful.

"We've been working on intensity and pressing," said Solskjaer. "We've got players who like to be on the front foot and we want that to continue.
On Transfers:
And, with just over a week left before the English transfer window closes, his squad is still not the one he wants.

Lukaku seems certain to leave. A new central defender - specifically Maguire - is the top target but there are alternatives, and one will surely come in.

Confidence has been expressed often that Pogba will remain at the club but if he did leave for Real Madrid or Juventus, the Frenchman would need replacing. Either way, further strengthening in midfield is possible.

Some senior squad men may go as Solskjaer intends to use younger players, such as striker Mason Greenwood, in the Europa League rather than pack his team with experienced ones who cannot get a game in the Premier League.

Whatever the eventual make-up of the squad, the Norwegian will have the final say: "There won't be any players here I don't want."

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s right about the fact that if it doesn’t work out for Ole, the fans will turn on Woodward and the Glazers. So they better hope he’s the second coming.

Good to hear that Lingard got his balls rolled and responded well to it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
More propaganda, no actual departures yet.

Johan07

Seriously? We have lost Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia within the last six months. Rojo and Darmian will be gone sooner or later during this summer. Thats a lot of experience out the door; no matter what one thinks of them as players.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I imagine the trimming of the squad will happen towards the end of the European window. He said himself he will give everybody a chance in pre season, but with the injury to Bailly maybe only Rojo+Darmain might leave.

Kostov

Seriously? We have lost Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia within the last six months. Rojo and Darmian will be gone sooner or later during this summer. Thats a lot of experience out the door; no matter what one thinks of them as players.
As you said, lost a player we should have kept in Herrera. The ones that should be sold are still here.

Good read but it's little different to the “it's different this time“ we get during every pre season. We'll see what it's really like a month into the new season.

Johan07

As you said, lost a player we should have kept in Herrera. The ones that should be sold are still here.
I would have liked to kept Herrera as well. Loved him as a player.
We are way to short at DM now squad-wise IMO.
At the same time; PSG gave him a 5-year contract. At his age and at the wage he was demanding it was never gonna happen and the club´s decision was very understandable.
I am more surprised that we seem to be looking at an another offensive midfielder in Fernandes instead of a more experienced and defensively-oriented one. But thats me.

Ranchero

Interesting read. Most of it is clarifying what we already know/suspect, but it's certainly encouraging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49144693

A couple of key points:
Interesting perspective but not based on reality. As it stands will we make top four? I dont think so without recruitment of the quality we need alongside the prospects.
And from pre season it looks like we are playing one deep lying midfielder not two.

Kostov

I would have liked to kept Herrera as well. Loved him as a player.
We are way to short at DM now squad-wise IMO.
At the same time; PSG gave him a 5-year contract. At his age and at the wage he was demanding it was never gonna happen and the club´s decision was very understandable.
I am more surprised that we seem to be looking at an another offensive midfielder in Fernandes instead of a more experienced and defensively-oriented one. But thats me.
Well we created the situation that in order to keep a player of the quality of Herrera we had to offer him a wage well beyond his actual quality, we did that by absolute shit management from top to bottom, and at the end of the day it's Woodward and his team's fault. Either way we we going into the summer needing to replace Matic, now in reality we should replace Matic and Herrera. We are yet to bring in one, and yeah I agree that we should be targeting a CDM as a priority instead of Fernandes.

Jacob

How do you now about Rojo and Darmian? Rojo wouldn't have played as much during preaeason had he been on his way out.

mango_goal

Writing about speed, fitness and strategy without even mentioning Aaron Wan-Bissaka makes no sence.

"
And Wan-Bissaka admits he was impressed by Solskjaer’s vision at Old Trafford. ‘Yeah it is an exciting plan,’ the defender told United’s official website. ‘I can’t wait to get started and, as I said, I can learn from the more experienced players as well. ‘Ole’s plan also helped me to make my decision to come and I knew at the same time that I could develop even more with that decision.’

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/30/aaro...er-convinced-join-manchester-united-10092106/

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Interesting perspective but not based on reality. As it stands will we make top four? I dont think so without recruitment of the quality we need alongside the prospects.
And from pre season it looks like we are playing one deep lying midfielder not two.
We will easily make top four.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I find it odd how Simon Stone is a BBC journalist. I don't actually like his work, or the way he panders to the likes of Luckhurst or Howson.

He's clearly a bit biased too. For examine he appears to put Lingards social media issue as an example of Ole forgiving "youthful exuberance".. Lingard is 26 isn't he?!

Also he's talking about how we didn't have a set system or formation before but under Ole we do. This isn't the case, because we are unsure if Rashford or Martial should start down the middle. Whether it's two up top or one, etc. It's not Ole's fault of course as Lukaku is in limbo and he can't help that. But Stones presumptions bias is irritating.

Treble

Apparently, the guiding idea is to win the ball high up the pitch and hit the opposition with pace. High pressing is not likely to work over the whole season without enjoying a lot of possession though. Already Fergie, as he himself admitted, tried high pressing about 15 years ago and gave up during the season for the players were too tired.

Now, if you want to have a lot of possession and stay defensively solid, you have to be press resistant. So, there are several things that need to be in place to play with a high pressing style the entire season and not run the team in the ground or be defensively vulnerable. These are the thing which will show whether Ole is up to the task.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We will easily make top four.
Dopends. I don't expect us to. But if we carry our oreseaaon form into it and try to dominate games, we could be in for a surprise. My main concern is for players like Martial, Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood, Gomes, Lindelof etc to show aignificant improvement and for us to create an established style. Not one game, try to dominate, the next game, try to counter.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That reads like the kind of article you get on manutd.com.
Well of course? Stone is nothing more than the clubs media puppet. That's why I always find it funny that people class him as some kind of reliable source of information when it comes to transfers, he only knows what the club tell him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s Simon Stone on BBC. How do you make that propaganda?
He's quite biased in his thinking if you read the article. Presumptions that we have our system set in stone, suggesting Lingards social media stupidity was just youthful exuberance, etc.

reddevil80

fair read, not anything outstanding or of a revelation but fair points non the less. I feel as though his approach to player management is what I would expect and hope from the clubs standing. I think that our attracting "big names" will only happen should we gain more success than previous seasons. He seems to prefer doing his speaking behind closed doors and not in public which is refreshing thinking about the last few years. Fitness was one of the first things I recall OGS mentioning, I thought it was just an excuse at first but, my word, was he right. Bringing in youth and promoting from within will build a much better, fitter Utd which will have the knock on effect of "big name" stars wanting to come play for one of the biggest clubs in the world via success both at home and in Europe.It is not going to be overnight and, as long as he can keep Woodward out of the equation, I fancy he will turn the clubs fortunes back around.

Johan07

He's quite biased in his thinking if you read the article. Presumptions that we have our system set in stone, suggesting Lingards social media stupidity was just youthful exuberance, etc.
The story clearly states that Lingard was told off in no uncertain terms. Its actually a more hardline approach from OGS than I thought it would be.

Grande

What do you think is unrealistic? That we will strengthen in defence and midfield, and replace Lukaku or Pogba if they leave? Or that we will be able to make top four given these changes?

I think it’s fair to say we have played with a deep lying pivot where one is licenced to push up more than the other.

Dopends. I don't expect us to. But if we carry our oreseaaon form into it and try to dominate games, we could be in for a surprise. My main concern is for players like Martial, Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood, Gomes, Lindelof etc to show aignificant improvement and for us to create an established style. Not one game, try to dominate, the next game, try to counter.
I think we’ll see switches between ‘domination’ and ‘counter’ even within matches. All the best teams are able to do that, and even Guardiola is doing it more now.

Johan07

What do you think is unrealistic? That we will strengthen in defence and midfield, and replace Lukaku or Pogba if they leave? Or that we will be able to make top four given these changes?

I think it’s fair to say we have played with a deep lying pivot where one is licenced to push up more than the other.

I think we’ll see switches between ‘domination’ and ‘counter’ even within matches. All the best teams are able to do that, and even Guardiola is doing it more now.
Yeah, this. Especially when Matic plays it looks like more of a conventional 4-3-3 with a No6 but that might just be because it comes naturally to him to occupy that space. Otherwise if we have learned anyting from OGS tenure so far is that the system we play is very flexible. Which I guess is what Stone´s article is stating as well.

Reddy Rederson

Read enough of these over the past 6/7 years to know its mostly bullshit. Luckily, Ive liked what Ive seen in the few preseason games that we've played, so Im hopeful that we can kick on from here to have a good season. Im only cautiously optimistic though, as pre seasons are never a good measuring stick for how a season will go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The story clearly states that Lingard was told off in no uncertain terms. Its actually a more hardline approach from OGS than I thought it would be.
The reported approach from Ole was bang on. I agree wholeheartedly with the way he has handled the situation.

It's the media twist that I dislike. Simon Stone has taken it as a forgiving of youthful exuberance, which is stupid because Lingard is 26. It's one of the things that make him sound more like some propaganda journalist for us.

Grande

Biased, you mean Stone is a United supporter?

That’s not how I read the Lingard part btw.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Biased, you mean Stone is a United supporter?

That’s not how I read the Lingard part btw.
How did you read it?

"It is understood Jesse Lingard was given a severe dressing down over a controversial summer social media post. Yet, rather than react badly, the England international has responded by putting in a series of outstanding performances in training. He has been willing to forgive, therefore, an indiscretion he puts down to the exuberance of youth, confident his harsh words will ensure it won't be repeated."

Its the bold bit I find too much, personally.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Meh, it's the same old stuff really. I'm sure we saw the exact same article in some form or another when Moyes, LvG, Mourinho took over.

Just like the article where Ole was going to get rid of the deadwood, or sign up to five players before pre-season bla bla.

I'll take that article with a pinch of brown-bosing salt and let's see what actually happens on the pitch

Johan07

The reported approach from Ole was bang on. I agree wholeheartedly with the way he has handled the situation.

It's the media twist that I dislike. Simon Stone has taken it as a forgiving of youthful exuberance, which is stupid because Lingard is 26. It's one of the things that make him sound more like some propaganda journalist for us.
I read it more like the main thing was Lingard taking it on the cheek, accepting blame, knuckling down and giving 110% under preseason and thats why he is back in good graces again. Which makes complete sense.

Bojan11

Meh, it's the same old stuff really. I'm sure we saw the exact same article in some form or another when Moyes, LvG, Mourinho took over.

Just like the article where Ole was going to get rid of the deadwood, or sign up to five players before pre-season bla bla.

I'll take that article with a pinch of brown-bosing salt and let's see what actually happens on the pitch
Exactly. Still remember the hype LVGs first preseason got and then look what happened in the first game.

Pavl3n

Simon has always been very conservative and diplomatic with choice of words when describing a transfer situation about our club. And of course, these articles came when Moyes came in, Lvg and Jose. Lvg had installed cameras and introduced extra fitness trainings, didn't he?
But there's something about Ole's approach that charges me with confidence. I could easily see us having a frustrating, yet promising season. A season where we could dominate Chelsea, demolish Watford and then lose 2:3 at home to Brighton.

A season of synchronizing, followed by a season of fine tuning.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apparently, the guiding idea is to win the ball high up the pitch and hit the opposition with pace. High pressing is not likely to work over the whole season without enjoying a lot of possession though. Already Fergie, as he himself admitted, tried high pressing about 15 years ago and gave up during the season for the players were too tired.

Now, if you want to have a lot of possession and stay defensively solid, you have to be press resistant. So, there are several things that need to be in place to play with a high pressing style the entire season and not run the team in the ground or be defensively vulnerable. These are the thing which will show whether Ole is up to the task.
I think Ole realizes that. He has emphasized in every press conference that he wants his players primed for the first match so that we make a strong start to the season. I think even he realizes that with his physical demands of the players and the lack of world class quality in our squad, we will tail off as the season progresses, so its imperative to get as many points on the board as possible in the first half of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a season similar to what Chelsea had last season, where they started strongly and there were murmurs about them being in the title race, before they faded away mid season but still managed to snag a top 4 spot. I think come Christmas, we'll be in touching distance of the top, but will tail off as the season winds down. Hopefully we do enough in the first 20 games or so to guarantee a top 4 spot in the end.