Single-Legged ties are better than Two-Legged ties? Three-Legged ties would be even better!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So says I.

First Leg - Home
Second Leg - Away
Third Leg - Neutral - But conditional on one team not having "won" both legs.

So the first condition is Games Won. The second condition is goal difference.

Some historical examples of how this would work:

2018-19 Champions League Semi-Final, Barcelona vs Liverpool

First LegBarcelona (home) vs Liverpool3-0
Second LegLiverpool (home) vs Barcelona4-0
Final LegBarcelona vs Liverpool (neutral venue)TBD

Liverpool go into the final game with an effective 1 goal advantage

2014-15 Champions League Quarter-Final, PSG vs Barcelona

First LegPSG (home) vs Barcelona1-3
Second LegBarcelona (home) vs PSG2-0

No final game required as Barcelona won both games

2013-14 Champions League Quarter-Final, Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

First LegMan Utd (home) vs Bayern Munich1-1
Second LegBayern Munich (home) vs Man Utd3-1
Final LegMan Utd vs Bayern Munich (neutral venue)TBD

The final game is required because Bayern didn't win both games. Bayern go into the final game with an effective 2 goal advantage

Edit - Obviously I am talking about *AFTER* the coronavirus pandemic

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Would feck up scheduling, but its better than away goals

ti vu

So some teams potentially have to play more games over the same season!? Not gonna work. FA replay system has been under criticism. This for European competition is just not feasible.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What about both teams get two games at home apiece?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worst idea for a long long time.
Everything is moving towards fewer games, especially in cups.

Imagine going back to the insane days of infinite FA cup replays until a result.

rcoobc

Worst idea for a long long time.
Everything is moving towards fewer games, especially in cups.

Imagine going back to the insane days of infinite FA cup replays until a result.
That's not true. Before the pandemic, the background noise was that the big European clubs are unhappy that they don't play enough games against each other. (I'm guessing that's big European clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal, rather than Barca and Real Madrid).

Dante

Average bang
How about 9 legged ties like the American's do in in their versions of rounders and netball?

Paul_Scholes18

Just make the winner advance like in many other sports. Would be fairly dull though I think. Best out of 5 even worse.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Finals are best of seven then, I take it

ti vu

That's not true. Before the pandemic, the background noise was that the big European clubs are unhappy that they don't play enough games against each other. (I'm guessing that's big European clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal, rather than Barca and Real Madrid).
The point being, they despise minnows, filler clubs. From big leagues, where more teams are competitive, they're trying to get more of those teams in. For example, Milan not doing that well, but their history, and investment would make exciting match up, than say Romanian champion.

The point of penalty shoot out, extra time, golden goal, away goal is to help ending the tie where both teams dragging thing out. Some teams playing more game than others is just terrible idea especially now the schedule is packed.

rcoobc

The point being, they despise minnows, filler clubs. In big league, where more teams are at competitive, they're trying to get more team in. For example, Milan not doing that well, but their history, and investment would make exciting match up, than say Romanian champion.

The point of penalty shoot out, extra time, golden goal, away goal are to end the tie where both teams dragging the tie out. Some teams playing more game than others is just terrible idea especially now the schedule is packed.
Yeah I'm not suggesting it during coronavirus years. They need to cut the fat from the schedule as much as possible.

macheda14

So wait I'm confused, do you go into the final game with that goal advantage? So if it was 2-0 to team A in the first game, but 3-0 to team B in the second, the final game starts at 1-0?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I reckon they keep the group stages etc and then once it hits quarter final time they have it at the end of May and conclude all the games as single legs. Means teams can concentrate on the league and domestic Cup games.

Oh and scrap international football, personally I find them a waste of time. Don't mind the tournaments but nations league and friendlies are dull.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I like the idea but think each tie is just too dragged out.

Watching these euro competitions during pandemic the one tie Matches have been fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed them, but, you can’t beat a European night at Old Trafford in the latter stages, I’d hate to lose those. So I’d say leave as is is best

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only if there's the long debated euro league.
It'd realistically mean pulling out of the normal league though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So wait I'm confused, do you go into the final game with that goal advantage? So if it was 2-0 to team A in the first game, but 3-0 to team B in the second, the final game starts at 1-0?
Yes

Gazza

You've misunderstood. They may want to play more games against each other, but that doesn't mean they want to play more games.

Robertd0803

Leave as is. Imagine the lack of famous European nights at Old Trafford/Anfield etc. in favour of a neutral choice of Bragas stadium instead.

Cloud7

Someone’s been hitting the bottle a little early before the match I see

Chipper

Adulterer.
Win first match 5-0
Draw second leg 0-0 playing weakened side because it doesn't matter

Still have to play 3rd leg?

rcoobc

I like the idea but think each tie is just too dragged out.

Watching these euro competitions during pandemic the one tie Matches have been fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed them, but, you can’t beat a European night at Old Trafford in the latter stages, I’d hate to lose those. So I’d say leave as is is best
Have the one-tie matches actually been good? I think they've been sterile and crap!

One or two games aside!

rcoobc

Win first match 5-0
Draw second leg 0-0 playing weakened side because it doesn't matter

Still have to play 3rd leg?
Yup. So if you,

Lose first game 9-0
Win second game 1-0
Win third leg 1-0

You go through having two wins vs one win.

Jev

Anything to avoid the away goals rule, which has always been entirely unfair and nonsensical.

Three-leg ties would be fun but would create a bloated calendar and lots of scheduling conflicts so I'd prefer the one-leg tie for the future.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I like it although I would only have the third game if they were tied on aggregate after the first two legs. To make space I would drop the group stages of the CL as they're generally quite dull.

rcoobc

For those saying there is no room in the calendar, the Europa League is currently an extra 2 games than the Champions League (which will change soon). The Champions League used to have an additional 4 matches (1999-2003)

If it was used only in the Last 16, Quarter Final and Semi-Finals in the Champions League Only, we're talking only an additional 3 matches. So those same two Europa League matches already in the calendar, plus one extra.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Have the one-tie matches actually been good? I think they've been sterile and crap!

One or two games aside!
Maybe I just enjoyed the game after game element of it, mini World Cup like

Chipper

Adulterer.
Yup. So if you,

Lose first game 9-0
Win second game 1-0
Win third leg 1-0

You go through having two wins vs one win.
Well in my example I think it would be very boring having a third match where one team was obviously better than the other and barring miracles we already knew the result. Although that said, the team who won the first leg 5-0 might choose a strong side in the 2nd leg too if they know the rules ahead of time, wanting to win that game and avoid a 3rd match.

In your example and being so used to aggregate it would feel weird to 'win' 9-2 over the 3 games but still go out at first but I suppose one could get used to that. It's what Americans do in baseball, ice hockey and basketball play offs I think. They have best of 7 series.

rcoobc

Well in my example I think it would be very boring having a third match where one team was obviously better than the other and barring miracles we already knew the result. Although that said, the team who won the first leg 5-0 might choose a strong side in the 2nd leg too if they know the rules ahead of time, wanting to win that game and avoid a 3rd match.

In your example and being so used to aggregate it would feel weird to 'win' 9-2 over the 3 games but still go out at first but I suppose one get used to that. It's American do baseball, Ice Hockey and Basketball olay offs I think. They have best of 7 series.
Exactly. I agree, it would fee very strange for a team to "win" 9-2 and not go through... but that makes that 2nd leg so important. You can win 9-0 in the first match, but if you lose the 2nd match, you could still go home in the third.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm all for getting rid of the away goals rule and forcing a tie-breaker on neutral ground, like it used to be at the beginning, in case of a split or two draws

el3mel

Too many games just to get past one round.

Two is enough and fair.

Tiber

My main reaction to the Champions League final tonight was that it would have been so much more fair to PSG if there was 2 more legs