Sjor Bepo VS Cal - All-time 3 yr peak - Auction Draft

Who would win based on the 3 yr peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annahnomoss

Tactics:
It will change during the course of the match but lets say its a defensive minded 4411 formation. We are playing against Tiki Taka side and the only was to beat them is to defend as a team and hit them with quick counterattacks.

Defence:

What can i say about our defence, the strongest part of our team with 3 GOAT players and the brilliant Jurgen Kohler. With my team sitting deep, plenty of protection from midfield and the defence marshaled by the greatest defender of all time IMO, the great Franco Baresi i really cant see any team scoring more then one goal, even the one with greatest player of all time - Lionel Messi.

Midfield:
On the right side we have the perfect combination in Cafu and Beckham. Cafu will use every chance to bomb down the right, helping Beckham with his overlapping which will create either the space for him or for Beckham to put one of his special crosses. Beckham on the other hand will help Cafu defensively and when not covering for Cafu he will help the midfield. Davids and Breitner can hold their own against any midfield in the draft, two workhorses who are also pretty complete players. We have 7 players who are great in defensive segment of the game + Czibor and Albert will help but not so much as this seven. Czibor and Albert will be on their toes every second as the team will try to counter in every opportunity they get and there will be chances as all of my players are brilliant on the ball and good distributors of the ball.
Davids and Breitner will both play in box to box role, when one goes up the other will stay behind. They are both smart footballers so that wont be a problem. Albert will play behind Van Basten and he will have the freedom to do his magic and create space for Beckham and others. Both him and Beckham will be able to quickly release Van Basten/Czibor and any of the runners from midfield while under pressure. Czibor will take Dani Alves on repeatedly and provide service for Van Basten.
Florian Albert known as the Emperor played one of his best games against Brazil on the WC 66 in the similar system, magyars defended most of the game and killed the brasililans with quick counteratacks and Albert stood out like a sore thumb. Almost every counter went over him and he will have the same role today.

Attack:
Marco Van Basten is a GOAT candidate and when you think he would be assisted by Albert, Breitner, Beckham and Czibor i can't see us not scoring with that amount of goal threat.
Additionally - Czibor, van Basten and Albert WILL get fouled a lot - and that means Beckham will have many freekick chances - that really is a goal head start for us.

Why should we win:
  • Tactical flexibility, we have a lot of players that can play several positions while cal "only" has Plan A....if needed my team can easily change to 3 man defence during the game.
  • Wrong players for Tiki Taka - Schmeichel, Vidic and Schweinsteiger/Makelele are not exactly the best fit for this system. I dont intend to press high so Schmeichel issue we can leave it out but Albert and Czibor can pressure Vidic and DM and their mistakes could be costly.
  • Front Three! Ronaldo, Messi and Robben....feck me, on paper looks brilliant but i cant see it work, specially Ronaldo and Messi in the same team. While both Robben and Ronaldo have goals from the wings and Ronaldo has great off the ball movement, the big part of their game(in this tactic) is making selfless runs to create space for Messi, i cant see either doing that. Not to mention that all three wants to be the main man, specially Ronaldo and Messi and i cant see how would they work together.
  • Barcelona vs Chelsea, at their best they had problems against the team that can defend well from deep. Offensively i think original Barca had more balanced attack(while cal's team has more individual brilliance) with Pedro/Villa/Alexis and with Busquets at DM. On the other hand my team is MUCH better then Chelsea in every segment of the game so i really think i can stop them and score one goal more then them, 1 could maybe be enough, 2 surely wins it for me.

Criteria:
The players are all judged solely on the years in their three year consecutive peak that will be listed. A players overall career greatness has no affect when judging and comparing them.

Walter Zenga

Peak: 1989 - 1991
Individual:
  • IFFHS World Best Goalkeeper: 1989, 1990, 1991

• Uefa goalkeeper of the year: 1990
Team:
  • Serie A: 1989
  • Italian Super Cup: 1989
  • Uefa Cup: 1991
  • World Cup: 1990(Third Place)

Cafu

Peak: 2000 - 2002
Individual:
  • FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2002(Reserve)
Team:
  • Serie A: 2001
  • Supercoppa Italiana: 2001
  • World Cup: 2002

Franco Baresi

Peak: 1988 - 1990
Individual:
  • Ballon d'Or: 1989(runner up)
  • Fifa World Cup All-Star Team: 1990
  • Guerin d'Oro(Serie A Footballer of the Year): 1990
  • Coppa Italia Top Scorer: 1990
Team:
  • Serie A: 1988
  • Italian Super Cup: 1988
  • European Cup: 1989, 1990
  • Uefa Super Cup: 1990
  • Intercontinental Cup: 1989, 1990
  • World Cup: 1990(Third Place)

Jurgen Kohler

Peak: 1990-1992
Individual:
  • UEFA Euro Team of the Year: 1992
Team:
  • Bundesliga: 1990
  • World Cup: 1990
  • UEFA European Championship: 1992(Runner Up)

Paolo Maldini

Peak: 1994 - 1996
Individual:
  • Ballon d'Or: 1994(Third Place)
  • World Soccer Player of The Year: 1994
  • Fifa World Cup All-Star Team: 1994
  • Fifa World Player of the Year: 1995(Silver Award)
  • Uefa European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1996
  • ESM Team of the Year: 1995, 1996
Team:
  • Serie A: 1994, 1996
  • Italian Super Cup: 1994
  • European Cup: 1994
  • Uefa Super Cup: 1994
  • World Cup: 1994(Runner Up)

David Beckham

Peak: 1999 - 2001
Individual:
  • Ballon d'Or: 1999(Silver Award)
  • Fifa World Player of the Year(Silver Award): 1999, 2001
  • Uefa Club Footballer of the Year: 1999
  • Uefa Club Midfielder of the Year: 1999
  • Uefa Team of the Year: 2001
  • BBC Sports Personality of the Year: 2001
  • PFA Team of the Season: 1999, 2000
Team:
  • Premier League: 1999, 2000, 2001
  • FA Cup: 1999
  • European Cup: 1999
  • Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Paul Breitner

Peak: 1980 - 1982
Individual:
  • Germany Footballer of the Year: 1981
  • Ballon d'Or: 1981(Runner Up)
Team:
  • Bundesliga: 1980, 1981
  • DFB Pokal: 1982
  • European Cup: 1982(Runner Up)
  • World Cup: 1982(Runner Up)

Edgar Davids

Peak: 1998 - 2000
Individual:
  • Fifa World Cup All-Star Team: 1998
  • Uefa Euro Team of the Tournament: 2000
Team:
  • Serie A: 1998
  • Uefa Intertoto Cup: 1999
  • World Cup: 1998(Fourth place)

Zoltan Czibor

Peak: 1952-1954
Team:
  • Olympic Champions: 1952
  • Central European Championship (CEIC): 1953
  • World Cup: 1954(Runner Up)
  • Hungarian League: 1954

Florian Albert

Peak: 1965 - 1967
Individual:
  • Ballon d'Or: 1967
  • Hungarian Footballer of the Year: 1966, 1967
  • Hungarian Championship Top Goalscorer: 1965
  • Fairs Cup(predecessor of Uefa Cup) Top Goalscorer: 1967
Team:
  • Inter-Cities Fairs Cup(predecessor of Uefa Cup): 1965
  • Hungarian League: 1967

Marco Van Basten

Individual:
  • Ballon d'Or: 1988, 1989
  • Onze d'Or: 1988, 1989
  • IFFHS The World's Best Player: 1988, 1989
  • World Soccer Player of the Year: 1988
  • Uefa European Championship Top Goalscorer: 1988
  • Uefa European Championship Best Player: 1988
  • Uefa European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1988
  • Uefa Best Player of the Year: 1989, 1990
  • European Cup Top Goalscorer: 1989
  • Serie A Top Goalscorer: 1990
Team:
  • European Super Cup: 1989, 1990
  • Uefa European Championship: 1988

Subs:
Gianluca Zambrotta

Annahnomoss

Subs:
Gianluca Zambrotta

Peak: 2004 - 2006
Individual:
  • Uefa Euro Team of the Tournament: 2004
  • Uefa Team of the Year: 2006
  • Fifa World Cup All-Star Team: 2006
  • FIFPro World XI: 2006
Team:
  • Spanish Super Cup: 2006
  • World Cup: 2006

Michael Laudrup

Peak: 1991 - 1993
Individual:
  • Don Balon: 1992
Team:
  • La Liga: 1991, 1992, 1993
  • Spanish Super Cup: 1991, 1992
  • European Cup: 1992
  • Uefa Super Cup: 1992

Mauro Tassotti

Team:
  • European Super Cup: 1989, 1990

Patrick Vieira

Peak: 2000 - 2002
Individual:
  • Uefa Football Championship Team of the Tournament: 2000
  • Fifa Confederations Cup Silver Ball: 2001
  • Fifa Confederations Cup Top Goalscorer: 2001
  • Premier League Player of The Season: 2001
  • Uefa Team of the Year: 2001
  • French Player of the Year: 2001
  • PFA Team of the Season: 2000, 2001, 2002
Team:
  • Premier League: 2002
  • FA Cup: 2002
  • Community Shield: 2002
  • Uefa European Championship: 2000
  • Fifa Confederations Cup: 2001
Previous team before tactical change
---------------(-
---------------
/
------------..................-----TEAM SJOR BEPO
--------------------------------------VS
----------------------------------TEAM CAL

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Tactics - CAL
How do you improve on possibly the greatest club side ever in Barca 2009? The Sextuple and all... here it is, the key players of the original Barca 09 side and a few more all time greats thrown into the mix and the best 2 players in the world (ever?) in the same team. :D

GK
Schmeichel (96-99), probably the best keeper ever.

DF
Rio and Vidic (both 06-09), needs no introduction here, our best CB pairing ever and probably the best in Europe over the last decade.
Dani Alves (08-11), a key part of the Barca Sextuple.
Lahm (06-09), 3 years when he was probably the best left back in the world.

MF
Schweinsteiger (11-14), key player for the Bayern side which halted Barca's reign, winning the Treble in 2013 and the World Cup in 2014.
Xavi & Iniesta (08-11), the best midfield partnership ever? Basically won everything there is to win in those 3 seasons, the World Cup, the Euro, 2 CLs, 3 La Ligas, including that Sextuple in 2009.

FW
Cristiano Ronaldo (11-14), 166 goals for Real Madrid during those 3 seasons, Ballon d'Or 13 & 14, La Liga in 12 and finally La Decima in 2014, possibly the greatest player ever.
Messi (08-11), Ballon d'Or in all 3 years, winning everything with Barca, also possibly the greatest player ever.
Robben (11-14), some believe to the the 3rd best player in the world, a key player for Bayern's recent domination in Germany and also Treble winner in 2013.

SUBS
Zinedine Zidane (99-02)
, one of the greatest players ever, only missing out due to the understanding Xaviesta have with each other.
Claude Makélélé (00-03), a rare breed of players that has a position named after him, selling him was probably Perez's greatest mistake ever (and he's made a few) as Real spent hundreds of millions to finally win La Decima.
Andriy Shevchenko (01-04), one of the best strikers of the 00s in his Milan days, Ballon D'Or winner in 2004.

The oppostions
The strength of Šjor Bepo's side definitely lies in its defense, Baresi & Maldini being 2 of the best defenders ever to play the game, protected by 2 defensive minded players in Davids and Vieira. However, my midfielders (and Messi occasionally dropping deep) should be utterly dominant in possession and starve his wingers and forwards of the ball.

paulscholes18

I'm confused who's playing Iniesta or Makelele?

Edit never mind been fixed now

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Šjor Bepo any particular reason why you use Davids and Breitner the wrong way around? It looks really odd.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Šjor Bepo any particular reason why you use Davids and Breitner the wrong way around? It looks really odd.
I wanted Davids on the same side as Iniesta.....but dont think it matters much on which side they are as they will be spending a lot of time in the defensive block in deep positions.

MDFC Manager

Sjor defense, vs Cal attack :eek: That promises to be some spectacle.

On the other end though, Beckham and Czibor supplying crosses to Van Basten. There will be goals in that.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Kohler and Baresi as well.
Don't think that matters actually. Both were comfortable on both sides. In a regular back four, I probably prefer Kohler on the right and Baresi played most of his career as the left centerback if I'm not mistaken.

I wanted Davids on the same side as Iniesta.....but dont think it matters much on which side they are as they will be spending a lot of time in the defensive block in deep positions.
I don't think it matters for Iniesta, the only reason I could think of is that Davids can match Cristiano's pace and physicality if he's helping out against him. Not sure if it's really necessary though and the downside in possession is definitely a bit of a problem. You don't want the leftie on the right and the right footed player on the left.

Šjor Bepo

I don't think it matters for Iniesta, the only reason I could think of is that Davids can match Cristiano's pace and physicality if he's helping out against him. Not sure if it's really necessary though and the downside in possession is definitely a bit of a problem. You don't want the leftie on the right and the right footed player on the left.
i accept that i wont see much of the ball, i can put both of them on the proper sides and have Laudrup at the top of that triangle and i would still be the second best on that field in terms of possession. Im letting cal the ball, will defend in numbers and use every chance i get on the counter and there will be chances thats for sure.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
i accept that i wont see much of the ball, i can put both of them on the proper sides and have Laudrup at the top of that triangle and i would still be the second best on that field in terms of possession. Im letting cal the ball, will defend in numbers and use every chance i get on the counter and there will be chances thats for sure.
Don't cut yourself short in terms of possession. Davids is a bit underrated on the ball, Breitner was a wonderful playmaker, Maldini and Cafu no mugs either. So getting the ball out of defense isn't that big of a problem, even against a well pressing Barca-esque side. Beckham will tuck in and give you another option and both your Hungarians know how to keep the ball under pressure exceptionally well.

You will lose the possession battle, but not by much. There's absolutely no need to park the bus with the team you have. You'll get your spells of possession. That being said, I'm starting to like the idea of having Davids a bit to the right to help out against Ronaldo. As much as I love Kohler, he's not necessarily the perfect fit against Cal's fluid attack without a real striker and certainly would prefer a battle against a number 9 inside the box than following Messi or keeping track of Ronaldo's off the ball runs.

Šjor Bepo

Albert played his most famous game in similar circumstances against Brazil and he absolutely destroyed them!

In this game he would be against pre peak Lahm, Dani Alves and Rio and Vida who we all know have problems against quick and agile dribblers, specially Vidic(even Carlton Cole destroyed him 1v1!).
And Albert is not only a dribbler, he can pick a pass too:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cal's team is essentially a perfect XI from the last 10 years. Impressive.

I like Sjor's approach - he's nailed his colours to the mast. The back four is as strong as you can get really. Midfield won't be as cohesive on the ball, but with Sjor's priority rightly being what happens off the ball it all makes sense. From Davids on the wrong side, Beckham tucked in, Czibor an outlet on the left, and Albert chosen ahead of Laudrup for his particular panache for the counter, it's a very well constructed defend-and-counter set-up.

Šjor Bepo

Don't cut yourself short in terms of possession. Davids is a bit underrated on the ball, Breitner was a wonderful playmaker, Maldini and Cafu no mugs either. So getting the ball out of defense isn't that big of a problem, even against a well pressing Barca-esque side. Beckham will tuck in and give you another option and both your Hungarians know how to keep the ball under pressure exceptionally well.

You will lose the possession battle, but not by much. There's absolutely no need to park the bus with the team you have. You'll get your spells of possession. That being said, I'm starting to like the idea of having Davids a bit to the right to help out against Ronaldo. As much as I love Kohler, he's not necessarily the perfect fit against Cal's fluid attack without a real striker and certainly would prefer a battle against a number 9 inside the box than following Messi or keeping track of Ronaldo's off the ball runs.
i know they are all good on the ball but im playing against Xaviesta and Messi + the only way to stoped them(proven) is to defend from deep as a team and kill them with quick counters. They never beat Chelsea, the team that are the best in the world in playing my style of game and my team is few classes above them, same cant be said for Cal's team and original Barca.
As for Kohler, i will sit deep so he will always have someone to mark. Cafu faced prime(in terms of dribbling) Ronaldo two times and both times got the better of him.

Šjor Bepo

im feeling like @Aldo , 4:0 and the other manager is still on his beauty sleep :lol:

Annahnomoss

Cal's team is essentially a perfect XI from the last 10 years. Impressive.

I like Sjor's approach - he's nailed his colours to the mast. The back four is as strong as you can get really. Midfield won't be as cohesive on the ball, but with Sjor's priority rightly being what happens off the ball it all makes sense. From Davids on the wrong side, Beckham tucked in, Czibor an outlet on the left, and Albert chosen ahead of Laudrup for his particular panache for the counter, it's a very well constructed defend-and-counter set-up.
I agree. I think that Czibor will have a great chance of providing a match winning threat on Dani Alves side who will be his overlapping-self as always. I would have preferred a regular lop-sided 4-4-2 though without the three-at-the-back formation thingie.

I don't think that a wrong-sided lonely Lahm will be enough against Cafu-Beckham either and they will provide a significant threat for early inch accurate crosses as well as beating Lahm with some link-up play.

Looks like a very tight and good game.

Šjor Bepo

I would have preferred a regular lop-sided 4-4-2 though without the three-at-the-back formation thingie.
but im playing 4411 and not three at the back, the three at the back is only mentioned as an option and Plan B.....

Šjor Bepo

am i the only can who cant see Messi and Ronaldo playing together? Probably the biggest rivalry in football history.....Ronaldo needs and wants that the team is built around him and this one is built around his biggest rival. And for Messi to play his role to the potential he needs both wingers to do selfless runs for him so they create space and i cant see Ronaldo doing that, and i dont think Robben would be happy to do the same.....

VivaJanuzaj

@Cal? is one of my favorite teams here, but I think @Šjor Bepo nailed the tactics here. Correct me if I'm mistaken but are you planning on playing a mould of Chelsea? You mentioned Chelsea in the tactics but I couldn't see you saying that's your tactics.
I think vB is perfect for that role upfront, especially with that right wing of Cafu-Beckham to cross to him and Czibor/Davids/Breitner/Albert joining.
And that defense, if there's anything that can stop Cal's machine is that defense.
The midfield battle is actually the most interesting one here for me, the best thing to do against that tiki taka is to have a superb midfield engine, Sjor's got two here with Breitner and Davids! They'll have their work cut out for them, that's for sure, but I think they're perfect for the job.

I'm torn here guys.

Šjor Bepo

Why is laudrup and Viera on the pitch? Perfect game for both of them.
Vieira - because both Davids and Breitner are better then him?
Laudrup - how is the game perfect for him, he enjoys possession game and i wont see much of the ball, its perfect for his replacement.

VivaJanuzaj

am i the only can who cant see Messi and Ronaldo playing together? Probably the biggest rivalry in football history.....Ronaldo needs and wants that the team is built around him and this one is built around his biggest rival. And for Messi to play his role to the potential he needs both wingers to do selfless runs for him so they create space and i cant see Ronaldo doing that, and i dont think Robben would be happy to do the same.....
In a draft state of mind I can manage to find a way to picture it working. Actually it's Robben that I find harder to believe will fit.

Šjor Bepo

Correct me if I'm mistaken but are you planning on playing a mould of Chelsea? You mentioned Chelsea in the tactics but I couldn't see you saying that's your tactics.
No, im not replicating Chelsea here. They are just used as example on how to stop Barcelona/cal?. Im not going to replicate that exact team/tactic but i will defend in numbers from deep positions like they did.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think Davids and Brietner positions makes sense especially in reference to the 3 at the back option- Brietner can play a pseudo-left wing-back come box-to-box CM. Davids on Ronaldo is a clear plus too. Also when shifting to three at the back having Baresi central means switching him and Kohler round.

Anyway this is a really tight game. I'm not sold on Ronaldo-Messi-Robben front three. If Ronaldo was replaced say with David Villa style play I'd have no problem but I don't see Ronny playing well with Messi, especially in a high-possession side. Czibor in behind Alves is Bepo's route to goal on the counter. Will have to think some more.

Šjor Bepo

David Beckham, workhorse that has 58 assists(club only) in the 3 seasons at his peak, 58 assists! And in this game he will have Marco Van Basten as a striker :drool:

Annahnomoss

Vieira - because both Davids and Breitner are better then him?
Laudrup - how is the game perfect for him, he enjoys possession game and i wont see much of the ball, its perfect for his replacement.
Personally I would have liked Vieira with Davids behind which would free up Breitner to link up pretty freely with Czibor and Maldini on that left side. Vieira would also be pretty free to burst in to the box and defensively it looks about as solid as it can get. Not including Laudrup was a great tactical decision, especially for a slightly lesser name though.

Czibor would be even more free to vacate in the space that Alves leaves behind too and your key to winning the game would be how well you defend but primarily have well you win the ball back and how aggressively you do so. That central midfield would be aggressive enough to win the ball back higher up the pitch and Maldini/Breitner defending the left flank looks even more solid than Beckham&Cafu which is hard to imagine being possible.

Annahnomoss

David Beckham, workhorse that has 58 assists(club only) in the 3 seasons at his peak, 58 assists! And in this game he will have Marco Van Basten as a striker :drool:
He is the perfect player against a possession team. He can decide this match with a pass from his own half straight to van Basten or Czibor(or albert)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Tough on Spo. His back line can handle that front 3 but for me it is Xavi and Iniesta who tilt this in Cal's favor.

Šjor Bepo

Personally I would have liked Vieira with Davids behind which would free up Breitner to link up pretty freely with Czibor and Maldini on that left side. Vieira would also be pretty free to burst in to the box and defensively it looks about as solid as it can get. Not including Laudrup was a great tactical decision, especially for a slightly lesser name though.

Czibor would be even more free to vacate in the space that Alves leaves behind too and your key to winning the game would be how well you defend but primarily have well you win the ball back and how aggressively you do so. That central midfield would be aggressive enough to win the ball back higher up the pitch and Maldini/Breitner defending the left flank looks even more solid than Beckham&Cafu which is hard to imagine being possible.
i thought about it but my attack would be to one dimensional.....Albert gives my attack that x factor + think i have enough defensive wise, 3 workhorses in front of the GOAT back 4 with Czibor and Albert helping in more higher pressure, most of the time pressuring Schweinsteiger and Vidic.

MDFC Manager

That for me is the easiest/shortest route to goal for either team.

Šjor Bepo

Tough on Spo. His back line can handle that front 3 but for me it is Xavi and Iniesta who tilt this in Cal's favor.
if my defence can handle the front 3 how will Iniesta and Xavi win the game, they already done they part as cal will have majority of the ball. You can argue that it will be Iniesta who will break my defence in half with his last pass but he will have little or no space in advanced areas + Davids will be on him like a rash.
Like i said in OP, i cant see cal's team score more then once and im sure my team will score at least one on the counter.

crappycraperson

Scout
Don't agree at all. Don't think you can bring arguments like that since they are rivals they would not want to work together. Pele and Maradona have featured in same fantasy team in these drafts successfully before. Ronaldo actually does not need the team to be built around him. He can play the wing forward role in many formations and Messi as a false 9 vacating the central space for him suits him well as does the fact that Iniesta will drift left to attack from the wing if needed. Only way to improve this would be add to add a proper marauding left back like Carlos instead of Lahm. Robben in Bayern's treble season too played second fiddle to other attacking players and Robben version which sees the most ball in the team is the most wasteful version. Coming to Messi, he will get to play his best role here except the fact that he would not get to score as many goals which would be a blow if not for Ron filling in. I think there are less chances of Messi working with likes of Cryuff, Maradona than someone like Ronaldo/

crappycraperson

Scout
if my defence can handle the front 3 how will Iniesta and Xavi win the game, they already done they part as cal will have majority of the ball. You can argue that it will be Iniesta who will break my defence in half with his last pass but he will have little or no space in advanced areas + Davids will be on him like a rash.
Like i said in OP, i cant see cal's team score more then once and im sure my team will score at least one on the counter.
I don't want to do Cal's work for him. But to explain myself better, I meant if you had any other 2 inferior CMs then I could see that front 3 being rendered toothless to an extent. With those 2 chiming in as well, it is unlikely.

antohan likes to imagine a 10 game series between 2 fantasy sides. IMO if that were to happen here, I think Cal's side will win about 4, 4 being draws either 1-1 0r 0-0 and you winning 1-0 in about 2. Just my take on it.

Šjor Bepo

Don't agree at all. Don't think you can bring arguments like that since they are rivals they would not want to work together. Pele and Maradona have featured in same fantasy team in these drafts successfully before. Ronaldo actually does not need the team to be built around him. He can play the wing forward role in many formations and Messi as a false 9 vacating the central space for him suits him well as does the fact that Iniesta will drift left to attack from the wing if needed. Only way to improve this would be add to add a proper marauding left back like Carlos instead of Lahm. Robben in Bayern's treble season too played second fiddle to other attacking players and Robben version which sees the most ball in the team is the most wasteful version. Coming to Messi, he will get to play his best role here except the fact that he would not get to score as many goals which would be a blow if not for Ron filling in. I think there are less chances of Messi working with likes of Cryuff, Maradona than someone like Ronaldo/
well, we will agree to disagree.
Pele and Maradona didnt played in same era like Ronaldo and Messi so their rivalry is a bit different and the fact they successfully played together in fantasy drafts means nothing, its fantasty :)
Back to Ronaldo, he had a team built around himself in every team he played(obviously not counting his time aat United when he was a young kid) and he always had plenty of protection from the back and in front with strikers sacrificing themself(Rooney, Tevez, Benzema) for him. He wants most of the balls and he wants to be the main guy in attack, with Messi he wont be.

antohan likes to imagine a 10 game series between 2 fantasy sides. IMO if that were to happen here, I think Cal's side will win about 4, 4 being draws either 1-1 0r 0-0 and you winning 1-0 in about 2. Just my take on it.
again i will take Chelsea as example as they are perfect for this, one of the rare sides that can play "my" tactic on a high level in todays game. They played 4 times, 3 draws and one win from Chelsea with Messi not scoring in any of the 4 games + they played pretty much against the peak Barcelona in 09 and 12.
If we include their meetings in 07 you then have 4 draws and 2 wins for Chelsea but i didnt include that as that was still Dinho Barca and not Messi's.