Sjor Harmsopoly R1: Zlatan vs PaulScholes18

With players at their listed peak, who would win? (only votes accompanied by a comment count)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
[

I had to find a winger who played in a World Cup over the age of 34. Choices were limited to say the least
Of RW's that haven been chosen in a post World War II world cup squad aged 34+ I would prefer the following to Di Livio as a RW in a 4-4-2:
  • Stanley Matthews
  • Tom Finney
  • Slava Metreveli
  • Luis Cubilla
  • Steven Gerrard
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Dani Alves (even though he was usually a RB)
I'd also consider choosing Claudio Caniggia, Cafu (even though he was usually a RB), and Angel Di Maria over Di Livio depending on the other players in my squad.

Enigma_87

You know who
[

I had to find a winger who played in a World Cup over the age of 34. Choices were limited to say the least
I think there are several as Mike mentioned above, but as others mentioned Di Livio did the job at the end so it was a good tactical option that can be easily upgraded after.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Of RW's that haven been chosen in a post World War II world cup squad aged 34+ I would prefer the following to Di Livio as a RW in a 4-4-2:
  • Stanley Matthews
  • Tom Finney
  • Slava Metreveli
  • Luis Cubilla
  • Steven Gerrard
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Dani Alves (even though he was usually a RB)
I'd also consider choosing Claudio Caniggia, Cafu (even though he was usually a RB), and Angel Di Maria over Di Livio depending on the other players in my squad.
honestly I think your knowledge of players and searching is better than mine.
However, I wouldn’t want iniesta out there as I don’t think he has the doggedness and defensive side di livio had, same for di Maria. Gerrard maybe but he’d be playing out of position. Possibly a right back but again I think that would be picked apart to have a right back playing infront of Lahm. The others you mention I wouldnt know too much about apart from matthews.
Although after all that I agree that di livio probably will need upgrading

Enigma_87

You know who
I was thinking Lahm fell into the 2nd category I mentioned where Di Livio's defensive ability gives Lahm more freedom to invert into central midfield making it a 3 man midfield often enough to mitigate one of the weaknesses of a 4-4-2 (numbers in a central midfield battle) which isn't necessarily that important in this match up but can generically be useful.
If Lahm was Breitner or Junior I’d understand as they can be a creative hub from midfield, but I don’t consider Lahm to be of the same mold. I get what you are saying in the defensive phase so that works. When Zlatan is on the ball though a midfield of Lahm, Crerard and Essien is lacklustre in terms of creativity and in the build up.
Di Livio can be useful in multiple roles I give you that but probably he’d be upgraded, although to me Crerard is the more problematic one as his credentials, especially from that box make him a bigger liability going forward.

Enigma_87

You know who
I was thinking that given the opposition are sporting Brehme then Di Livio is as good as it gets in keeping tabs on him.
That’s a good observation but I think it evaded Zlatans game plan as I didn’t see it being mentioned :D

Limiting Brehme would be a good plan as he’s probably the only natural width creator for PS on that side.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
jesus fecking christ right mid role isnt just to help out your fullback

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Blokhin isn't ideally suited to be a main goalscorer imo. During his prime he was prolific in the generic 1 in 2 sense, which was great considering how much he offered outside of the box (not easy in low scoring defensive soviet league), but that rate was because of his great movement, workrate, pace and dribbling. His actual finishing was inconsistent and he had endured no small amount of criticism for it while carrying the expectation and burden of primary goalscorer for Kyiv/NT...somewhat unluckily due to the drought of prolific traditional 9s in '70s/early 80s Soviet football. Opinions vary overall, but if you hear older guys who watched enough of both talking about how they think Shevchenko is the greater player, 99% of the time it's because they thought Blokhin was too wasteful.