SKY Sports agree new Premier League TV rights deal with 70% more matches being screened live

RedRocket9908

SKY Sports agree new Premier Leave TV rights deal with 70% more matches being screened live

A record 215 games will be shown live

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Where will the 70 per cent come from?

They can't show 3pm Saturday ones so does this mean more of the 2pm Sunday games will be broadcast?

I'd assume we're getting more Friday and Monday football too

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"More Premier League action than any other broadcaster, with at least four matches every week."

More than which broadcasters? Other places show 10 matches every week.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

They can't show 3pm Saturday ones so does this mean more of the 2pm Sunday games will be broadcast?

Thought the blackout was ending?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They're gonna crack down hard on streaming and dodgy boxes after spending that kind of money.

Stay strong, stream and dodgy box providers. You fecking heroes.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

The unrivalled line-up of Premier League football on Sky Sports will include

• At least 215 live games each season.
  • All first pick matches, giving fans the best matches week in week out until May 2029.
  • Super Sunday remains the flagship kick-off slot at 4.30pm.
  • First and last word on a Premier League weekend with more live games on Fridays and Mondays.
  • For the first time, all the final games on the last day of the season will be live in one place, creating a real moment for fans.
  • And in another first, Sky Sports will now be able to offer multiple live matches on a number of weekends at Sunday 2pm.
  • Most of the festive season fixtures, with Boxing Day Premier League football back on Sky Sports.
The last point is interesting, are amazon getting something different /anything?

CloneMC16

"More Premier League action than any other broadcaster, with at least four matches every week."

More than which broadcasters? Other places show 10 matches every week.
I guess Sky Sports thinks the UK is the only place in the world.

It's pretty shit that everywhere else can watch every game in the PL, but we can't in the UK. At least they will show some more on Sundays.

RedRocket9908

The unrivalled line-up of Premier League football on Sky Sports will include:

At least 215 live games each season.
All first pick matches, giving fans the best matches week in week out until May 2029.

Super Sunday remains the flagship kick-off slot at 4.30pm.

First and last word on a Premier League weekend with more live games on Fridays and Mondays.

For the first time, all the final games on the last day of the season will be live in one place, creating a real moment for fans.

And in another first, Sky Sports will now be able to offer multiple live matches on a number of weekends at Sunday 2pm.

Most of the festive season fixtures, with Boxing Day Premier League football back on Sky Sports.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Shite for consumers. No 3pm kick-offs as per. Streaming confirmed for another 4 years.

lostcauz

Is this what the Glazers are hanging around for?
Sounds like a 4% increase so a extra £300m? (£75m per season)

I don’t know if this is what they thought was going to explode or whether it’s the international tv deals?

Edit: ignore me. I think the current deal is £4.7B and new deal is £6.7B

Edit 2: I’m confused
“The announced agreements will deliver a total of £6.7billion in revenue across the four-year period, inclusive of a four per cent increase in live rights value compared to the previous process. “

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3807882

Last edited:

Steve Bruce

I wonder what the increase in money is. You'd imagine it would be quite significant

Oranges038

70% more Newcastle at half 5 on a Saturday.

dinostar77

Is this what the Glazers are hanging around for?
no. they are hanging around until PL clubs can show their games live on their own in house channel.

#loadsandloadsofwonga
#showmethemoney
#manutdmademeabillionaire
#manutdgoingtomakemeatrillionaire
#screwthestadium
#screwthetrainingground
#ilovemydividends

clarkydaz

Sounds like a 4% increase so a extra £300m? (£75m per season)

I don’t know if this is what they thought was going to explode or whether it’s the international tv deals?

Edit: ignore me. I think the current deal is £4.7B and new deal is £6.7B

Edit 2: I’m confused
“The announced agreements will deliver a total of £6.7billion in revenue across the four-year period, inclusive of a four per cent increase in live rights value compared to the previous process. “

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3807882
Yeah thing is there were whispers about digital season tickets that would blow the doors off, but that must be a while off

pascell

I'm sure I read somewhere that either Saturday/Sunday 8pm ko will also now be a thing.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Wonder when the PL will get wise to the idea that they should be cutting out the middle man. So depressing to see the status quo.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This will passed down to the consumer - sky sports will only get more expensive.

GazTheLegend

This will passed down to the consumer - sky sports will only get more expensive.
You think people will keep paying it? I just feel like there's going to be a LOT of people that prioritise heating their homes and feeding themselves over listening to Gary Neville waffle on. I wouldn't mind getting Sky but it's barely worth the price as it is, get more value out of just about every other streaming service to be honest.

The weekly VAR controversies aside, until City etc get their comeuppance it all feels wildly inauthentic.

Hoof the ball

Sky Sports will hike the price. 100%.

You can watch more games, but you'll have to pay more money than before. That includes to TNT too.

Fvck off, Sky. I'm quite happy with the Canadian company that gives me 100% of the games for way cheaper.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You think people will keep paying it? I just feel like there's going to be a LOT of people that prioritise heating their homes and feeding themselves over listening to Gary Neville waffle on. I wouldn't mind getting Sky but it's barely worth the price as it is, get more value out of just about every other streaming service to be honest.

The weekly VAR controversies aside, until City etc get their comeuppance it all feels wildly inauthentic.
Ah yea people will keep paying it.

What i would do is just get the sky sports package on now tv - dont bother getting the tnt package at all and just go to the pub when their match is on at 12.30 on saturday. At least this is what i would do if i wasnt getting sky sports off my parents account.

Spark

I don’t know about anyone else, but I really dislike the Saturday evening games. Means there’s feck all to watch in the morning and it usually clashes with whatever bollocks I’ve got going on in the evening.

Although that’s not necessarily a bad thing, considering how shit we were on Saturday.

Reynoldo

I don’t know about anyone else, but I really dislike the Saturday evening games. Means there’s feck all to watch in the morning and it usually clashes with whatever bollocks I’ve got going on in the evening.

Although that’s not necessarily a bad thing, considering how shit we were on Saturday.
And it’s not even the worst 8pm, Sunday at 8pm is just awful

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The cost per game has gone down quite a bit I think.

Agree they're still wedded to the same dinosaur model... Will change, eventually.

Robbie Boy

There was a point in my life when I would have been delighted with this. But, trying to get to watch even a few matches per week is tough these days.

leontas

Just allow people to stream the games directly in the PL app and sell a season pass like F1 or the NFL. I get it's complicated with all broadcaster contracts already in place worldwide but this should be the future. And they should stream all the games and do away with the 3pm blackout.

Castia

So 4 on sky and 1 on TNT? Better than what we have now but I was hoping the blackout would be gone.

neon_badger

Would it be possible for the government (or a future government) to intervene with these tv deals, I understand this would be unthinkable in the past due to Murdoch, but someone needs to point the Premier League in the direction of setting up a direct streaming services that brings in the revenue they need without fleecing fans. I understand there's an independent regulator appointed by the government to protect fans, but I suspect that's only been set up to get a slice of the pie next time an oil sheik wants to buy a club.

RedDevil@84

More Gary Neville commentary on our games. Yay!!!! (If we are still in PL then)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Will the Premier League schedule fewer 3pm games moving forward? Some Saturday 3pm slots this season have only had 3 or 4 games, and then loads of games on Sunday instead.

Maybe more Saturday night games too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Will the Premier League schedule fewer 3pm games moving forward? Some Saturday 3pm slots this season have only had 3 or 4 games, and then loads of games on Sunday instead.

Maybe more Saturday night games too.
I'd imagine so yeah, I'm not sure if the PL is obliged to have Saturday 3pm kick-offs but we may see only one or two games some weekends

In theory it could be

1 Friday night game
3 Saturday games at 12:30, 5:30 and 8
3 games maybe more on a Sunday at 2, 4:30 and 8
1 Monday night game

That's 8 games which only leaves 2 Saturday 3pms

Spark

Just allow people to stream the games directly in the PL app and sell a season pass like F1 or the NFL. I get it's complicated with all broadcaster contracts already in place worldwide but this should be the future. And they should stream all the games and do away with the 3pm blackout.
Dunno if they’d manage to get £6.7bn out of that.

Sounds good for the consumer your idea, though, like it.

It’s just the lowest priority for the prem :lol: