Sky Sports To Slash Prices (Football included)

Peanut Butter

About time too. I might go back if they do have a 'football only' package for a reduced rate. I don't watch cricket, rugby, tennis etc and don't see why I should pay for it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This benefits everyone. Cricket/rugby/F1 fans probably don't want to be funding the football either. Why did this take so long?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Don't hold your breath until you see the breakdown for each channel.

Needham

If they get the lads back, too (Keys and Gray) this could be something special!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It won't save it. Sky TV as we know it is a dying concept.

I'll be interested in the value the next set of TV rights goes for. More and more people are refusing to pay for it, and especially when we need to pay for two fecking rip off services (Sky and BT) in order to get all the televised games.

Skills

Snitch
Online is the way. Surely there's a loop hole about them being allowed to broadcast 3pm Saturday fixtures online, as the internet wasn't even invented when that moronic law was put in place?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This sounds good on the face of it, and is strongly indicative in the shift broadcasters need to start making across the board. Tying people into contracts full of extraneous stuff is no longer washing with the public, and quite right too.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Well at least it's an improvement. Still the future is in a cheap online streaming service, like a netflix for sports, with all the games available. Something similar probably already exists in other countries.

Tiber

considering they lost the champions league etc this is long overdue

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It won't save it. Sky TV as we know it is a dying concept.

I'll be interested in the value the next set of TV rights goes for. More and more people are refusing to pay for it, and especially when we need to pay for two fecking rip off services (Sky and BT) in order to get all the televised games.
I wouldnt be too sad if went down significantly.

Its fuelled this ridiculous transfer market and this bubble just cant go on forever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wouldnt be too sad if went down significantly.

Its fuelled this ridiculous transfer market and this bubble just cant go on forever.
I think it needs to, as you say it doesn't achieve anything other than driving up transfer fees and wages which were already ludicrous.

The problem will be if Sky or BT consider it worth making a loss on in order to bring in customers for other packages.

Nick7

Wonder if getting all the sports channels will be more expensive now with this change.

SteveTheRed

As others have said, a legal streaming service for games is the future. Even at a small cost per game for a top quality stream would work.

Good news, i wonder how much football only will be though.

Their justification for falling subscribers doesn't seem right though. No-one is committing to Sky for TV when you have Netflix available for under 10 quid a month.

I've been watching LeTV this season, every game online via Samsung TV app for 16 quid a month.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Couldn't see in the article when this is actually happening, anyone know?

I'm at a crossroads at the moment as BT are offering me a deal on infinity 2 to stay with them but this could change my mind.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Wonder if getting all the sports channels will be more expensive now with this change.
It wouldn't surprise me.

"Dropping prices for football"

But if you want all the sports you have access to now it's actually more...

stubie

Couldn't see in the article when this is actually happening, anyone know?

I'm at a crossroads at the moment as BT are offering me a deal on infinity 2 to stay with them but this could change my mind.
Only reason I stuck with Sky is because they gave me 60% off for 12 months, BT were also generous to give me BT Sport on Sky for £17.99 for 12 months

Cheekiey

Finallly... Said it a while back that they should do dedicated sports channels like Sky Sports F1, I'd definitely be up for paying for the 2 football channels

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It wouldn't surprise me.

"Dropping prices for football"

But if you want all the sports you have access to now it's actually more...
This wouldn't be at all surprising, I agree. The idea of consumers being able to choose exactly which content they want is a good move but we have to hope (probably forlornly) that someone who likes more than one sport won't be paying more for the same package they have now.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think it needs to, as you say it doesn't achieve anything other than driving up transfer fees and wages which were already ludicrous.

The problem will be if Sky or BT consider it worth making a loss on in order to bring in customers for other packages.
Surely if it goes down significantly, it won't be long until we see the big clubs want their own TV deals. They'll point to the need to compete with Madrid and Barca.

luke511

When things like this happen you have to remember, it's being done to increase their profits, not yours ;)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This wouldn't be at all surprising, I agree. The idea of consumers being able to choose exactly which content they want is a good move but we have to hope (probably forlornly) that someone who likes more than one sport won't be paying more for the same package they have now.
Yep, if I have to pay more for golf/NFL/F1 whatever else I've forgotten I'll just move to streaming more.

Surely if it goes down significantly, it won't be long until we see the big clubs want their own TV deals. They'll point to the need to compete with Madrid and Barca.
Aren't La Liga rights moving to a more shared distribution? Not quite as good as the PL for the smaller clubs, but better than it is now? I don't see the PL going the other way, it's only right that the pot is split.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I pay £37 a month for Box Sets, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Documentaries - the lot basically, and all in HD.

Got the Sky Q package for half price for 18 months the other week so it makes no difference to me.

It would be good if they did away with that 15:00 o'clock kick off rule though. Might actually keep people off streams in UK.

MUFC OK

Online is the way. Surely there's a loop hole about them being allowed to broadcast 3pm Saturday fixtures online, as the internet wasn't even invented when that moronic law was put in place?
You obviously have incredibly fast fibreoptic broadband where you live/haven't streamed out in the country/haven't used the skygo app

MUFC OK

I've heard of those foreign 'master' boxes that have pretty much every channel on and show all the 3pm games every week. Anyone know anyone that has one or are they a mythical entity?

stevoc

I pay £37 a month for Box Sets, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Documentaries - the lot basically, and all in HD.

Got the Sky Q package for half price for 18 months the other week so it makes no difference to me.

It would be good if they did away with that 15:00 o'clock kick off rule though. Might actually keep people off streams in UK.
Yeah that would be great but too many people involved in football are too stubborn and short sighted to let it happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've heard of those foreign 'master' boxes that have pretty much every channel on and show all the 3pm games every week. Anyone know anyone that has one or are they a mythical entity?
Aren't they called Spider box or something? My local had one. You just hook it up to the internet and watch the stuff. Though they tend to stop working after a few months I've heard.

MUFC OK

Aren't they called Spider box or something? My local had one. You just hook it up to the internet and watch the stuff. Though they tend to stop working after a few months I've heard.
Bet that was a great few months to be fair though.

stubie

Sky just cancelled me last time I tried to bluff them, (hence my tagline). How did u manage the BT deal?
Had 5 months left of my contract paying full price. Phoned them up and explained that I would be prepared to take out a new 12 month contract if they could offer me a deal they ended up giving me £10 off for 12 months