Sliding doors moments in United history

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
A mate came up with a new one last night. This is a long winded one based on United losing the Champions League final in 99. Nice bit of alternative history for you.

United lose the Champions League final in 1999. Unhappy with failing in Europe again, Fergie puts pressure on the board and we strengthen in the summer with at least 3 world class players (including a better goalkeeper). *We also don't end up competing in the World Club which means we compete in that season's FA Cup.

The Champions League is eventually won in 2000. On the road to winning it, we beat Real Madrid in tbe quarters. Fergie's determination to win the competition means he goes more defensive and we beat them 2-1 as opposed to losing 3-2. This more defensively minded system ends up with Yorke/Cole leaving in the summer of 2000. As he moves to a 433 formation, Veron still signs in the summer of 2001 and the slightly more evolved United gets the best out of him and we win the Treble in 2002. Ruud Van Nistelrooy, also signed in the summer of 2001, scores goals for run that season.

Still in 2002, the lack of title for Arsenal (they haven't won it since 1998 at this point) sees Wenger put pressure on the board for new signings. Due to a lack of funds, Arsenal start pushing for outside investment and Roman Abramovich buys the club in 2003. Wenger is eventually sacked in May 2004 as they only win the League Cup that season, and they appoint Jose Mourinho.

*There was evidence from various people that United got lazy after The Treble. We didn't strengthen enough even if we did dominate the Premier League, we struggledin Europe. Failing at the Nou Camp in 99 would have potentially spurred Fergie into action in a very different way.

NWOntario

Don't think I've seen this one mentioned: Drogba's "goal" in the 2009/10 title decider. He was miles offside. That goal made it 2-0 (yes, I know the 2-1 goal shouldn't have counted, but coming back from 1-0 is a lot different than coming back from 2-0). All else being equal, we win the league - and five titles in a row between 2006-2011.

Beyond that, the Scholes goal against Porto that was chalked off for offside fundamentally altered the landscape of English football...so I'd say that's a pretty big one.

Big Andy

Bloke
I wouldn't change anything pre 2012 when we last won the league. Other than Munich obviously.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In regards to the 2010 and 2013 ucls it's fair to say that while we wouldn't have been the favorites for neither we probably would have made the finals in either instance.

I'm more confident in us having won the 2010 version as Fergie seemed to have figured Jose out but it would have been no easy task but on the other hand the sentimental effect of that 2013 final between us and bayern out of all the possible opponents would have been through the roof so who knows what would have happened.

While I can't help but to think about what could have been it's no use and hey, it could have easily been 5 finals in 6 years with only one medal to show for it so there's that as well.

Yorke to Cole

We recovered from that Blackburn match to lead the table by something like eight points with six games to go, only to drop those eight points in three matches. That was the only thing that cost us the title. Not a match that was played five months previously.

Even if we had beaten Blackburn, who knows how the rest of the season would have panned out.
No. I respect what you say that is was earlier in the season than the Wigan and Everton matches.

But I stick by what my initial opinion. That was 3 points down the drain. It was opportunity to turn the screw on City and show them that the 6-1 result in October was a one off and we are top going into new year.

I think a 90's or 00's Ferguson plays Pogba in the Blackburn match. As much as I love the great man he cocked that season up with some decisions with team selection and each dropped point kept giving City encouragement.

A more ruthless United and indeed Ferguson would have shaken them off a lot sooner.

Amir

No. I respect what you say that is was earlier in the season than the Wigan and Everton matches.

But I stick by what my initial opinion. That was 3 points down the drain. It was opportunity to turn the screw on City and show them that the 6-1 result in October was a one off and we are top going into new year.

I think a 90's or 00's Ferguson plays Pogba in the Blackburn match. As much as I love the great man he cocked that season up with some decisions with team selection and each dropped point kept giving City encouragement.

A more ruthless United and indeed Ferguson would have shaken them off a lot sooner.
I agree about Pogba, and the Blackburn game was indeed three wasted points... But it just didn't cost us the title. We put City to the sword, everyone knew the title was done and dusted... And then we handed it to them. Not in December, but in April and May.

PeteManic

What if Howard Wilkinson hadn't phoned up about Denis Irwin? (Why did he phone about Denis anyway? Was Denis not playing every week?) That phone call is the most important moment in United's recent history.

Bondi77

Is that story true about Ronaldo and another kid being in a game where sporting's academy could only take one player, and couldn't separate them so they said whoever scores the next goal we take them, and the other kid had an open goal but square the ball for ronnie?
Sounds like a load of old shite!

Halftrack

Evra does make it 5:1 in that Eveton game. SAF retires one year early. We do get a different manager than Moyes.
SAF retired because Carhy's sister died, and he saw how lonely and isolated that made her. And that happened during the 12/13 season. Before that he had no plans of packing it in, so I highly doubt us winning it in 11/12 would have resulted in him retiring.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In regards to the 2010 and 2013 ucls it's fair to say that while we wouldn't have been the favorites for neither we probably would have made the finals in either instance.

I'm more confident in us having won the 2010 version as Fergie seemed to have figured Jose out but it would have been no easy task but on the other hand the sentimental effect of that 2013 final between us and bayern out of all the possible opponents would have been through the roof so who knows what would have happened.

While I can't help but to think about what could have been it's no use and hey, it could have easily been 5 finals in 6 years with only one medal to show for it so there's that as well.
In 2013 I wouldn't be confident at all vs Dortmund - they were a ferocious pressing team (a hyper version of Athletic Bilbao which had torn through us the previous year) and destroyed Madrid at home, 4-1. And beyond them was the Bayern machine which did ended Barca's mystique forever.
That Madrid loss and red card hurt a lot, but I don't think that CL was ever doable.

2010 on the other hand...Lyon in the semis :lol:
Inter's strength was defence. Worked great against possession hogs like Barca and LvG's Bayern....Would be meaningless against that counter-attacking winger-based system with Valencia and Nani.
Rooney's injury status is the big question mark. I guess, if Rooney doesn't get injured first leg, then the second leg works out anyway and the final is a coin toss.

Yorke to Cole

Ronaldo does not sign in 2022. Cavani stays as the main striker, there is more equilibrium in the ranks and Jadon Sancho number 7 shirt like he was promised when he signed. He performs like a genius that we all thought he was when at Dortmund.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ronaldo does not sign in 2022. Cavani stays as the main striker, there is more equilibrium in the ranks and Jadon Sancho number 7 shirt like he was promised when he signed. He performs like a genius that we all thought he was when at Dortmund.
And then there's a banging at my door. It's Holly Peers and Scarlett Johansson fighting each other shouting "No, I get to shag him first!" And as I calmly inform them that there's plenty of knob for the both of them my phone rings. It's the President of the Universe calling to offer me a job as Chief Pizza Tester, four days a week for an hourly rate of £3,000,000.

Yorke to Cole

And then there's a banging at my door. It's Holly Peers and Scarlett Johansson fighting each other shouting "No, I get to shag him first!" And as I calmly inform them that there's plenty of knob for the both of them my phone rings. It's the President of the Universe calling to offer me a job as Chief Pizza Tester, four days a week for an hourly rate of £3,000,000.
Never heard of her?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In 2013 I wouldn't be confident at all vs Dortmund - they were a ferocious pressing team (a hyper version of Athletic Bilbao which had torn through us the previous year) and destroyed Madrid at home, 4-1. And beyond them was the Bayern machine which did ended Barca's mystique forever.
That Madrid loss and red card hurt a lot, but I don't think that CL was ever doable.

2010 on the other hand...Lyon in the semis :lol:
Inter's strength was defence. Worked great against possession hogs like Barca and LvG's Bayern....Would be meaningless against that counter-attacking winger-based system with Valencia and Nani.
Rooney's injury status is the big question mark. I guess, if Rooney doesn't get injured first leg, then the second leg works out anyway and the final is a coin toss.
Yeah we obviously wouldn't have been the favorites in 2013 on the virtue of our declining squad alone but it really was a wacky year overall, Barcelona tragically lost their manager which im sure contributed to their utter collapse against bayern and madrid's catastrophic capitulation may have had more to do with the mandatory Jose meltdown than anything else, they had no right to go out the way they.

In retrospect while bayern were clearly the favorites I'd postulate that after them we had the most consistency throughout the season as if I remember correctly BVB struggled for form in Bundesliga that year, im also sure the simple sentimental value of the final had we made it would have made for a much closer affair than what the odds might have indicated.

That hypothetical 2010 final would be a coin toss as you said yourself, we were probably much better suited to beat inter than bayern were.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Chelsea v Barca CL second leg 2009

We should've became the first team to win back to back CL

Tyrion

Chelsea v Barca CL second leg 2009

We should've became the first team to win back to back CL
At first I thought you were a Chelsea fan and I was about yo correct you but now I see what you mean :smirk:

Speako

The pilot decides not to risk take off in Munich.

Just imagine what that team could have gone on to achieve. Domination. All those early Euro Cups don’t go to Real Madrid.

Nickelodeon

Last min handball penalty for PSG away win which made Ole permanent manager. Even though it is one of the best United moments post Fergie.

If we go out then and league results remain the same, Ole is never made permanent and we don't waste 3 years. Potentially, avoid signings of Maguire, Ronaldo, Sancho too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The pilot decides not to risk take off in Munich.

Just imagine what that team could have gone on to achieve. Domination. All those early Euro Cups don’t go to Real Madrid.
This plays on my mind a lot. The loss of life was the most tragic thing, but even just sporting wise there was so much lost that day. I know many say part of what endeared Manchester United to many around the world was the Munich crash, and the way Sir Matt fought back to win the European cup with a new team a decade later, but by all accounts there was a super team in the making on board that flight. Duncan edwards was already the best player some had ever seen, and he was only 21.

Would be interesting to see where things ended up if that flight made it home safely.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wouldn't change anything pre 2012 when we last won the league. Other than Munich obviously.
Two big ones for me would be keeping Stam and buying van der Sar sooner to replace Schmeichel.

After our treble, we routinely underperformed in Europe because our defence was very suspect. I think if we had done those two things, we could have probably at least reached another final or two because our midfield and attack was still top notch.

As far as Serie A maestros at the time, I would've loved Rui Costa or Zidane over Veron but I don't know how realistic that would've been :D

van der Sar
Neville Stam Ferdinand Silvestre
Keane Scholes
Beckham Zidane Giggs
van Nistelrooy​

JeffFromHK

If Man Utd didn't just send Fergie to talk with Pep in Scottish accent in a dinner but made a more serious approach to Pep (like how City did to Pep), Pep would join us over City for sure.

NWRed

The plane not attempting multiple take offs in Munich surely the biggest in United history. We might be close to out own 'La Decima' otherwise.

Beating forest to prevent Hillsborough is pretty shocking.

Maybe Fergie bringing a transalor to his dinner with Pep back in 2013 is a big one?
Ultimately this was the fault of the FA. They were very hostile to United taking part in the European Cup, they pressured Chelsea into withdrawing from it in 55-56 and Busby insisted we played in it against their wishes. The FA refused to accommodate us by moving fixtures and threatened to dock United points if they missed a fixture, hence the private plane and dangerous take off attempt.

JeffFromHK

Two big ones for me would be keeping Stam and buying van der Sar sooner to replace Schmeichel.

After our treble, we routinely underperformed in Europe because our defence was very suspect. I think if we had done those two things, we could have probably at least reached another final or two because our midfield and attack was still top notch.

As far as Serie A maestros at the time, I would've loved Rui Costa or Zidane over Veron but I don't know how realistic that would've been :D

van der Sar
Neville Stam Ferdinand Silvestre
Keane Scholes
Beckham Zidane Giggs
van Nistelrooy​
Playing with Barthez, Silverse, Brown, OShea, Phil (no offence, they were all good players) against Real Madrid was criminal, we scored 5 goals in two fixtures but got knocked out because we conceded 6, it is painful.

miked99

Holly Peers is a Man city fan. Yet another reason to choose Scarlett.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Holly Peers is a Man city fan. Yet another reason to choose Scarlett.
My research has turned up evidence that she has worn* a United shirt from time to time.

* "worn" being a relative term

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Rensenbrink scores the injury time winner against Argentina in 78 instead of hitting the post. Videla's regime has our national team thrown out of a plane, King Willem Alexander never marries Maxima due to this lasting tension and never has children, the line of succession is broken and we finallly become a republic.

If only....

Still thinking about how to link this to United.

bazza3727

Ultimately this was the fault of the FA. They were very hostile to United taking part in the European Cup, they pressured Chelsea into withdrawing from it in 55-56 and Busby insisted we played in it against their wishes. The FA refused to accommodate us by moving fixtures and threatened to dock United points if they missed a fixture, hence the private plane and dangerous take off attempt.
It's been said time and time again on here, it was the Football League under Alan Hardaker's direction (animosity) that insisted on the Saturday match going ahead.

Robbie Boy

Last min handball penalty for PSG away win which made Ole permanent manager. Even though it is one of the best United moments post Fergie.

If we go out then and league results remain the same, Ole is never made permanent and we don't waste 3 years. Potentially, avoid signings of Maguire, Ronaldo, Sancho too.
The biggest winner from that night was the Glazers as they got to take the easy way out and appoint Ole.

There was a-lot of pressure at that time due to 3 failed post-Fergie appointments. All the talk was of a DoF coming in at the end of the season along with a modern, progressive manager. The Glazers struck gold that night and they got to ditch any actual plans in regards to turning us into a modern club. The fact that we still talk about that night is telling, as it shows how little success we've had in the past decade.

miked99

My research has turned up evidence that she has worn* a United shirt from time to time.

* "worn" being a relative term
Obviously trying to get my attention, but I wouldn't fall for such a tactic

tentan

Poor man's poster.
7th Oct 2023

Mctominay scores two late goals to save Ten Hags job. Ten Hag goes on to become Uniteds greatest ever manager.

The_Midfielder

Is that story true about Ronaldo and another kid being in a game where sporting's academy could only take one player, and couldn't separate them so they said whoever scores the next goal we take them, and the other kid had an open goal but square the ball for ronnie?
But Barca were monitoring Quaresma and Ronaldo ..
They bought Quaresma and later we signed Ronaldo ..

norm87cro

04 Scholes scored a regular goal for 2 0 ruled as offside. Portos manager was a certain Mourhino too