Television Slow Horses (Apple TV+)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Lamb and his gang deserve their own thread. New season starts on December 1st :drool:

In Season 3, a romantic liaison in Istanbul threatens to expose a buried MI5 secret in London. When Jackson Lamb and his team of misfits are dragged into the fight, they find themselves caught in a conspiracy that threatens the future not just of Slough House but of MI5 itself.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
where is severance - apple you cnuts

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Do you like any tv shows?
Quite a few tbf, considering I rarely watch TV alone. It's the wife who's got something on constantly and I get more invested in the actual watching while she keeps it on as background noise.

Got her to watch The Bear, Severance, Andor that have been good in the recent past. Leftovers, Scrubs, 30 Rock probably in my top 5. EDIT - And Arrested Development S1-3, how could I forget.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Huh? It is great fun. The plots aren't that complex but watching Gary Oldman in this role is fantastic.
It's got a fixed template, the plotlines ludicrous, but yeah I'd say it's a fun enough watch. No Oldman and Scott Thomas, however, and this show tanks without a trace.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's got a fixed template, the plotlines ludicrous, but yeah I'd say it's a fun enough watch. No Oldman and Scott Thomas, however, and this show tanks without a trace.
True for many crime or espionage TV shows. Books often have 1/2/3 main regulars characters that make them suitable for slotting a star or two into e.g. Bosch

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Quite a few tbf, considering I rarely watch TV alone. It's the wife who's got something on constantly and I get more invested in the actual watching while she keeps it on as background noise.

Got her to watch The Bear, Severance, Andor that have been good in the recent past. Leftovers, Scrubs, 30 Rock probably in my top 5. EDIT - And Arrested Development S1-3, how could I forget.
Those are all great shows, odd to me that you don't rate Slough Horses. I mean, there's preference for certain genres, kinds of humor, pacing etc. of well made TV shows. And then there's "middling to crap" shows of which there are plenty (bad acting, cheap cinematography, bland and stereotypical characters) but I would have never put Slough Horses in that category.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Enjoying the new season.

Think the first couple of seasons started well and dropped off a bit, for me.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The overall grimy patina of Oldman is crafted so well, from the greasy hair to ‘bathing’ in the sink.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Good first 2 episodes.

Why is River always running? It has always been so I guess.

icehole

So-so third episode redeemed by the final 5-ish minutes which were the most satisfying of the whole series.
It's starting to look like River Cartwright actually does belong in Slough House. His judgement is not great.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Again, starts promisingly and then meanders so much it's genuinely like watching a slow horse eating...slowly. All day.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Those are all great shows, odd to me that you don't rate Slough Horses. I mean, there's preference for certain genres, kinds of humor, pacing etc. of well made TV shows. And then there's "middling to crap" shows of which there are plenty (bad acting, cheap cinematography, bland and stereotypical characters) but I would have never put Slough Horses in that category.
Slough horses don't sound like thoroughbreds though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Excellent so far. Gary Oldman is having great fun. Farting in the car was the highlight.

Spark

Some great writing, I love it. Do wonder how it plays to an American audience though, it’s properly sarcastic throughout and genuinely British.

Almost seems like it would fit very well on the BBC, only to be remade in the US.