Small moves for small players that turned out well

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Shinji Kagawa to Dortmund from Cezero Osaka

Patrice Evra to United

Roy Keane to Nottingham Forest

What are some other small moves for small players that turned out well?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Shinji Kagawa to Dortmund from Cezero Osaka

Patrice Evra to United

Roy Keane to Nottingham Forest

What are some other small moves for small players that turned out well?
What is this? texts for ants?

Gerrard to Liverpool

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Drinkwater to Leicester
Karius to Besiktas
Old Moura to Tottenham
Old Dzeko to Roma
Old Evra to Juventus

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mathieu Valbuena from Lilbourne to Marseille

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Lewandowski from Lech Poznan to Dortmund for just 4 million. Žigić went to Birmingham for 6 million in 2010, and Arsenal signed Eduardo at a cost in the 6 million bracket too. Further evidence of it being a small move is that he nearly signed for Blackburn.

In terms of "turned out well" ... in his debut season Dortmund won the Bundesliga, and he scored a hat trick against Bayern Munich in the DFB Pokal which earned Dortmund a historic double.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
It's clear we are all missing our football when threads like these pop up.

Fetshu

Some of you have mentioned players moving to Leceister, but how about Vardy? It's not like he was an established striker when he went there. Plucked from the depths of lower leagues and a true underdog story, rest is history.

...hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here and misremembering things. :nervous:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Marc Overmars from Willem II to Ajax.

Raymond Kopa from Angers to Reims.

I wish I could add Maradona, but he was a god from the outset.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Some of you have mentioned players moving to Leceister, but how about Vardy? It's not like he was an established striker when he went there. Plucked from the depths of lower leagues and a true underdog story, rest is history.

...hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here and misremembering things. :nervous:
Yup. Same with Alli.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Marcelo to Madrid from Fluminese.
Coutinho to Liverpool.
Sneijder from Madrid to Inter.

Winrar

Drogba: Guingamp to Marseille for 3.3m. Before that he sold for 80000 euros from Le Mans to Guingamp.

Of course, he's most famous for his time at Chelsea but he was bought for 24m then so it's not exactly a small move at that point.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Daniel Passarella from CA Sarmiento in the Argentine Primera C (third division) to River Plate. Small player as a centerback/sweeper (5'8"), bare minimum compensatory fee — one of River's all time greats as a player and captain (nicknamed El Gran Capitán) and then as a manager.

Berti Vogts from Büttgen to Borussia Mönchengladbach. Small player (5'6"), small fee — but ridiculous impact: club captain for the better part of a decade, consistently one of the best defenders around, 10 x Bundesliga Team of the Year nominations (highest after a certain Franz Beckenbauer), 5 Bundesliga titles, et cetara.

Dani Alves from Bahia to Sevilla. Small player (5'7"), small fee (roughly €1 million including loan obligation), and probably their best transfer for at least this century (peaking as Ballon D'Or 15th in 2007 and UEFA Cup MVP in 2006). Left for a club record fee, too — eclipsing Sergio Ramos.

P.S. Cheers, @harms! :lol:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Numerous signings made by Blackburn under Souness and Hughes:
Brad Friedel from Liverpool's bench
Tugay from Rangers
Steven Reid from Millwall
Morten Gamst Pedersen from Tromso
Ryan Nelsen from DC United
Christopher Samba from Hertha Berlin
Roque Santa Cruz from Bayern's B team

I wasn't old enough to enjoy us winning the title in 1995 in real-time, but 2001-2010 was another a golden era, with a promotion and numerous memorable wins along the way, League Cup win, 6 Premier League top 10 finishes within 9 seasons and 5 more cup semi-finals. We really overachieved for a small town club during that period, and with Jack Walker's money long-gone as well.