Other Smart Home

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Went smart when I redid my home office/bedroom and it’s glorious now. I can say “goodnight” and everything goes off including lights and tv, plus anything left on from the day such as my monitor. Ideal when you’re knackered and can’t be bothered getting up to turn stuff off, or can’t find the remote.

If I step out of bed in the middle of the night the motion sensor turns a low level red light on (as it’s best for not waking you up too much and straining your eyes). When I wake up an orangey white low level light turns on and when I say “work” all my office stuff turns on with suitable lighting that adjusts to the lux level in the room based on light through the window (sometimes have curtains semi closed to avoid glare).

Also have various lighting set ups for movies, watching stuff in bed, sports etc. plus a dehumidifier that turns on when humidity goes above a certain threshold as was getting some mould around the window.

It’s flipping great.

Usin Siri with Apple TV as the hub, as well as a Hue Bridge, then Eve/Hue for everything so far. It’s worth not skimping on this stuff imo as it only invites issues which quickly negate the handiness of it all.

RedRoach

Have the same setup, just wish everything was more HomeKit compatible, you have to be very selective with devices. Seems Alexa and Google are winning this battle as there are more devices, but their system is not as secure or well thought out IMO. For example you can't easily have two homes with Alexa and switch between them based on location :houllier:

Big Andy

Bloke
I had smart plugs and lights in my old house, but my missus is a luddite when it comes to stuff like this, and she's reluctant to make the switch. She's away for a week at the end of the month, so I'll just Smartify the house while she's away and go from there.

All I really want is to set the bedroom lights to turn red when it's sexy time.

Drawfull

All lights and a lot of plugs are smart at home, and for a while I was using Alexa with that and with Harmony for AV. But it's a shitshow, so I just live with the lights/plugs now.

It's a bit overrated. It's nice to be able to say 'good morning' and lights go on/kettle boils etc but because the interaction with AV is so sketchy I can't really be arsed anymore.

And it clogs up my router with devices.

If Harmony hadn't been discontinued I'd probably be more invested.