Smashley Young

kps88

He's just 5 ahead of Downing ffs. Perfect proof that assist stats don't always tell the full story.

Comsmit

He played a blinder against City @ the Etihad last season. He scored a valid goal that was disallowed by a blind referee, he assisted Rooney's first goal with a penetrative run that distabilised City. At Stamford Bridge, his intelligent run got Ivanovic sent off when we were under Chelsea's cosh after Ramirez's equaliser. How's he not worth £18m? Compare him to Caroll(£35m), Downing(£20m) and you would realise he's good value.
One good performance at City and a run against Chelsea quantifies his fee? No I don't buy that. Don't bring Carroll into it everybody realises what was wrong with that transfer fee. He's not worth £18million as he hasn't justified the fee from his performances. Antonio Valencia is admittedly a mess right now but if you look back at his collective effort since 2009, particularly 2011-2012 (one of the finest seasons from a United winger in memory) you could argue his £17million fee has been justified. Young hasn't got anywhere near that standard and this is his 3rd season now.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jeez, such a negative bunch of cnuts... never happy unless you're slating some united player/manager...

Young
Anderson
Nani
Carrick
Valencia
Evra
Ferdinand
Scholes
Giggs
SAF
Rooney
Fletcher
O'shea
etc...

The list goes on and on... anyone would wonder how we've been so successful with this pile of dross...

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Jeez, such a negative bunch of cnuts... never happy unless you're slating some united player/manager...

Young
Anderson
Nani
Carrick
Valencia
Evra
Ferdinand
Scholes
Giggs
SAF
Rooney
Fletcher
O'shea
etc...

The list goes on and on... anyone would wonder how we've been so successful with this pile of dross...
Exactly. Helped us to three points today.

mufcwarm92

And played quite well either side of it. Disappointing to see a player going down easily but I'm pleased with how he played

Sir A1ex

Seriously though, it's annoying enough when one of your top stars goes down dubiously and invites criticism... Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, they've all been there.

But when it's somebody of Young's ability it's just, well, embarrassing.

NoLogo

He had a good game today against what was a very week opponent but the thing that irks me about Young is that an 18 year old player came on the pitch for him today and made us look like an entirely different team. I feel that even on a good day against a shitty opponent it's not really much what Young offers to our game.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Definitely better in the second half against 10 men. Looked to be more confident and damaging with the ball rather than trying to be the 'set up' guy all the time.
Get him on the right though please.

204Red

If you take away the dive... he had a pretty good match... miles better than Valencia today.

But that dive was awful... and although it wasn't "simulation" per se, he was looking to get fouled for the peno

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Just seen yesterdays dive, jeez.

Need to start giving a straight red to anyone who does this now, whoever they play for.
Fair play to Moyes in what he said afterwards.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Just seen yesterdays dive, jeez.

Need to start giving a straight red to anyone who does this now, whoever they play for.
Fair play to Moyes in what he said afterwards.

Agreed, he blasted Young like pretty much every diver should regardless of who they play for.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well it seems his only worth in the team these days is to win a penalty, from whatever measure he could take.

Ash_G

fecking no chance unless we want to actually lose the game before we start. Welbeck and Valencia wide. Rooney playing just ahead of Carrick and Fellaini.

Tbf Young might give us more in attack than Valencia is right now. Either way right now 2 of Welbeck, Young and Valencia doesn't seem to be particularly creative.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Ignoring the embarassing dive, I thought he played quite well. Although even on an on-day his limited game always shines through.

Castia

The dive aside he was actually quite good yesterday. How anybody can complain about Young when we have Valencia playing on the right is beyond me, he's been by far our worst winger for well over a year now and I still don't see any signs of that changing.

Rossa

Valencia was OK yesterday, but Young was actually quite good, and that is coming from someone who is usually quite critical towards him. He showed terrific acceleration to win the penalty, which is why I can't understand why he can't do the same to fullbacks. His crossing was decent and he also had a fairly good shot. He does fall more theatrically than Italians in the 90s though.

Robbie Boy

Premier League All-Time Assists

131 - Giggs
94 - Lampard
85 - Gerrard
81 - Rooney
56 - Van Persie
53 - Ashley Young
49 - Nani
48 - Downing
48 - Duff
45 - Scholes
44 - Lennon
44 - Beckham
38 - Valencia
34 - Bellamy
That list is completely wrong anyway. All-time? You having a laugh? Didn't Henry get nearly 100 assists at Arsenal and it's just plain wrong anyway.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
That list is completely wrong anyway. All-time? You having a laugh? Didn't Henry get nearly 100 assists at Arsenal and it's just plain wrong anyway.

Yeah it seems way off. Bergkamp would surely be up there too. And Scholes must have got more than 3 assists per season.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

They only started officially keeping assist stats after 2001. Those are numbers since 2001. Giggs must have 250+ or something, unofficially.