Snail's pace!

OleTheGreat

Except for the time in transition from defense to attack, we look like a team that is clueless with the ball. We often get stuck going forward and have to keep going back. I watch every team in the Premier League who can go to their attack with an aerial ball and string together a few passes to get on goal but we have always always struggled to do that. Our midfielders are still trying to go direct and our forwards are not so good on the ball. Except for Bruno, most of the players in our team have a bad first touch (which is so annoying by the way). Cavani has been amazing in the front line and the rest the guys need to learn a lot from him. Next up, the build up play- we are awww sooo predictable and slow. It is so easy for opponents to shut us down and they don't even need to work hard. What's even worse than all this, our defense is so shaky. We leak so many goals and the movement in defense is next to useless and the same goes for our forwards.

I know we are getting some good results and as long as the results are good, Ole's job is safe but I think we need to play attractive football. I don't mind us losing the ball and trying to get it back but to have the ball and keep passing it to one another without actually have a plan in place is so ridiculous. We have all watched our front four standing still during attack and it breaks my heart to watch such moments. We were such a dynamic team under SAF. We often had 4 strikers who played in all kinds of positions to create for each other. I think the modern football has to many instructions and positions nailed down that players forget that getting out of their position will actually drag the opponent defense out of their position and in doing so create that extra space (vacated) for someone else to occupy and create a goal scoring opportunity.

I honestly don't know what kind of drills they go through during training but it isn't pleasing to watch this team play. I know that many of you will get offended by my comments but I'm very happy with the way we've progressed since Ole has got in but I still think there is a lot he has to do to go on and win the title from where we are now. I really honestly hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. We need at least 3 more match winners and we need to pick those who will impact the way we play. (Bruno is one who really made an impact and we need a couple more like him on the pitch).

Please don't gang up on me. I want us to play football in a way that is enjoyable which doesn't necessarily mean we win every game but I want us to try to go out and give it a go every time. That Southampton game was, I was so happy to see the potential in these players but we are not confident that way in every game and that's probably another concern of mine. We're one of the best clubs in Europe but our style of football doesn't show that.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Except for the time in transition from defense to attack, we look like a team that is clueless with the ball. We often get stuck going forward and have to keep going back. I watch every team in the Premier League who can go to their attack with an aerial ball and string together a few passes to get on goal but we have always always struggled to do that. Our midfielders are still trying to go direct and our forwards are not so good on the ball. Except for Bruno, most of the players in our team have a bad first touch (which is so annoying by the way). Cavani has been amazing in the front line and the rest the guys need to learn a lot from him. Next up, the build up play- we are awww sooo predictable and slow. It is so easy for opponents to shut us down and they don't even need to work hard. What's even worse than all this, our defense is so shaky. We leak so many goals and the movement in defense is next to useless and the same goes for our forwards.

I know we are getting some good results and as long as the results are good, Ole's job is safe but I think we need to play attractive football. I don't mind us losing the ball and trying to get it back but to have the ball and keep passing it to one another without actually have a plan in place is so ridiculous. We have all watched our front four standing still during attack and it breaks my heart to watch such moments. We were such a dynamic team under SAF. We often had 4 strikers who played in all kinds of positions to create for each other. I think the modern football has to many instructions and positions nailed down that players forget that getting out of their position will actually drag the opponent defense out of their position and in doing so create that extra space (vacated) for someone else to occupy and create a goal scoring opportunity.

I honestly don't know what kind of drills they go through during training but it isn't pleasing to watch this team play. I know that many of you will get offended by my comments but I'm very happy with the way we've progressed since Ole has got in but I still think there is a lot he has to do to go on and win the title from where we are now. I really honestly hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. We need at least 3 more match winners and we need to pick those who will impact the way we play. (Bruno is one who really made an impact and we need a couple more like him on the pitch).

Please don't gang up on me. I want us to play football in a way that is enjoyable which doesn't necessarily mean we win every game but I want us to try to go out and give it a go every time. That Southampton game was, I was so happy to see the potential in these players but we are not confident that way in every game and that's probably another concern of mine. We're one of the best clubs in Europe but our style of football doesn't show that.
The first half against Everton is one of the best halves of football we've played since 2013. I think you're suffering from a bit of confirmation bias here, thinking every team attacks better than we do.

I am not 100% sure what you want since we see things very differently, but yesterday we had 17 shots against Everton's 3.

youngrell

It's been a constant problem since 2013. Every time we play badly, it is usually linked to the lack of off the ball movement from our players which in turns slows everything down.

I miss Sir Alex always going on about penetration, and so do the players by the looks of it.

RUCK4444

The first half against Everton is one of the best halves of football we've played since 2013. I think you're suffering from a bit of confirmation bias here, thinking every team attacks better than we do.

I am not 100% sure what you want since we see things very differently, but yesterday we had 17 shots against Everton's 3.
Yeah agree with this. We've actually improved massively in this regard.

Over the past three managers though we were terrible at this. Slow, tumescent, boring, sideways, negative, football.

Under Ole though, other than the times where we have started games slowly, our approach is much more positive and going forward isn't a major issue for us right now (other than our forwards need more goals, like we had last season.)

That said we are top goalscorers in the league currently so the goal burden is being spread around the team, which shows it's a cohesive/functioning attacking unit.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
No tempo whatsoever in our team without Fred. Take him out and everyone else is back to passing at 5mph and hiding behind the opposition and playing long balls to nothing. We also let the oppo midfield play all over us and set their own tempo without him.

simmee

Yeah agree with this. We've actually improved massively in this regard.

Over the past three managers though we were terrible at this. Slow, tumescent, boring, sideways, negative, football.

Under Ole though, other than the times where we have started games slowly, our approach is much more positive and going forward isn't a major issue for us right now (other than our forwards need more goals, like we had last season.)

That said we are top goalscorers in the league currently so the goal burden is being spread around the team, which shows it's a cohesive/functioning attacking unit.
First half yesterday was really good as well imo. They needed about 5-6 last second blocks to stay in the game (which of course might also point to an issue with finishing chances but we're hardly clueless with the ball and created a lot of chances). Actually think we've improved quite a bit this season/last 5-10 games on how we move the ball quicker from side to side to create opportunities against teams parking the bus.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I think you’re expecting too much. It would be impossible (and predictable) to constantly attack with such intensity.

We’ve scored 3 or more 14 times this season.

It sounds like complaining for the sale of it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Top scorers in the Premier League. We must be doing something right.

I understand what you're saying, everyone would like to see sexy football. But we watch United more closely than any other side and are more emotionally involved. I think this leads to us watching with a more critical eye.

Idxomer

The intensity yesterday wasn't there but it was expected after pressing heavily against Everton.

RUCK4444

First half yesterday was really good as well imo. They needed about 5-6 last second blocks to stay in the game (which of course might also point to an issue with finishing chances but we're hardly clueless with the ball and created a lot of chances). Actually think we've improved quite a bit this season/last 5-10 games on how we move the ball quicker from side to side to create opportunities against teams parking the bus.
Yeah agree. You can definitely see progress in our attacking coaching/approach.

Quicker passing and movement should be a major focus for us. Bruno has been brilliant in improving this and creating/dictating the attack.

bsCallout

Speak for yourself. I'm enjoying our football.

Sometimes it doesn't click or we start slow but most games we have sustained periods of good football, being let down by poor finishing or calamity defending.

People also complain about the quality of players, well, when that improves so will the football.

We've had plenty of incredible games under Ole, breaking lots of records, post SAF atleast. People seem to look back and think it was always exciting 100% action packed games under SAF, it wasn't, especially during some of our lean years/transition.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People going back to 2013 as if we were some swashbuckling side back then.

We’ve had plenty of decent periods in the past decade where we’ve been good to watch. It’s just never been over long enough periods.

City and Liverpool have had tumescent periods in the last few years while they’ve been running up record points totals.

A knee jerk reaction after Moyes came to Old Trafford and threw 11 men behind the ball is not something to judge us on. We’ve been as entertaining as most teams this year. Often better to watch than City. They’re a far better side, but watching them hold onto the ball and struggle to break down sides is worse than what United served up last night.

With that said, we can’t keep removing our players that insert urgency, all at once. Shaw, Telles, Cavani, Bruno, Fred, McTominay, Pogba. I’d say you need 5 of that 7 in most games to maintain some level of momentum.

SER19

I think we do play good football quite often. Definitely still room to improve but people view other teams and our teams from the past through a highlight reel far too often

I think our counter attacks are the best and most exciting football we've seen since Ferguson retired

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

I totally agree.

KeanoMagicHat

We are top scorers in the league, even if it's boosted by a soft 9-0 win. In the Champions League group stage we scored 15 goals in 6 games. I think the style of football is much more attractive than it was a few years ago. It's not perfect, sure, but we play attacking enough stuff. The problem is more at the other end actually, we still concede too many goals.

Trex

It's down to the nature of our set up and the individuals at the club, the likes of Rashford and Bruno play football very directly when it comes off it result in a goal or assist when it doesn't we loose possession,you could tell Martial and Greenwood would rather slow it down and work the opponent but they're not as influential within the team. we lack a genuine playmaker to give us that class in possession,we need to have a player with more class technically playing as part of the pivot always(Fred and Mctominay together doesn't cut it)One of the front three has to have genuine playmaking skills and participate more in progressing from midfield to attack(I hope Diallo brings that element or Sancho)it would relief the burden off the cms and fullback to do it,no team plays with three strikers like we do it just makes us less fluid,we shouldn't be starting any of the current front three combination of Cavani,Rashford,Greenwood or Martial together all instinctly want to be higher up close to goal,none is capable of coming deeper in the way a Grealish,Saka or Bernardo Silva can to link attacks together this little detail affects the rest of the team badly, I feel we'll keep more clean sheets if we're better in possession without even purchasing a center back (not that am not in support of purchasing one)and playing with two midfielders who both have same problem in possession is unacceptable at a club like United
The draw against Everton doesn't happen if this two issues are solved because we'll simply deny Everton any possession in those extra minute

No Spring Chicken

I think the football is plenty attractive, easily the best since Fergie left. Our problem is consistency & solid defending, but we've played some great swashbuckling stuff this season.

Brightonian

Knee-jerk reaction to one sluggish performance. We were playing a b-team, with two defensive midfielders, in heavy snow, against a team who came to shut up shop. Of course it was laborious. We still dominated, produced 17 shots to their 3, and won the game. Move on.

Under Ole we generally play very good attacking football, and consistently have ever since Bruno arrived, which is now a whole year.

OleTheGreat

Top scorers in the Premier League. We must be doing something right.

I understand what you're saying, everyone would like to see sexy football. But we watch United more closely than any other side and are more emotionally involved. I think this leads to us watching with a more critical eye.
I think you are bang on there. I have always wanted us to do well and I'm probably being too critical but I still think we can play better if we are cohesive.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus

Throughout the season yes however, against Everton I genuinely though that was the best we had played all season just a shame our defence is pants.

poleglass red

I find at times against defensive teams, when they sit deep, our attackers tend to drop deeper to pick up the ball, and it can become a bit of a stalemate. In saying that West ham were ultra defensive, I get that they injuries etc, but in a cup game you would expect a bit more urgency from them. We were also missing our creativity in mid in Bruno and Pogba, plus we did miss the movement of Cavani in the box. I wouldn't get too downbeat after that game, it was an ugly cup game and we came through in the end

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's been a constant problem since 2013. Every time we play badly, it is usually linked to the lack of off the ball movement from our players which in turns slows everything down.

I miss Sir Alex always going on about penetration, and so do the players by the looks of it.
The zombie passing thread was made here around 2010.

LoneStar

Pretty sure other than City, we play arguably the best football in the league. Can you point specific teams who play better than us? Liverpool in Klopps first full season were all out attack, bit even they play super direct and more pragmatic now.

dinostar77

Slow pace in moving the ball is nothing knew. Happened under fergie as well. Then he would bollock them at half time and tell them "one-two", "increase the tempo", "move the ball quicker". Etc.

It also depends on other factors, oppositon you are playing, the pitch, weather conditions, tactics, tiredness complanceny etc.

cyberman

I dnt think this is true at all to the point I cant see how people even think this is possible.
If anything we get the ball forward too quickly when we struggle. Other than that we are very good at creating space for the forwards

OleTheGreat

Please don't gang up on me! :lol:
Yeah because people usually say your a plastic fan and you have no idea how football is played and so on. I love football and Man United and it sometimes pains me to watch us play. Sometimes so ecstatic! We're here just to exchange ideas. We cannot do anything about it anyway.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No Bruno no creativity. We always play a double pivot to protect our defense with the front 4 permanently detached from the rest of the team so we only score form counter attacking, which is why we never create against a team defending, if we play a high back line like we did against Everton then we do create but then any decent team can easily score against us just like Everton.

simplyared

No tempo whatsoever in our team without Fred. Take him out and everyone else is back to passing at 5mph and hiding behind the opposition and playing long balls to nothing. We also let the oppo midfield play all over us and set their own tempo without him.
So you mean you never see Fred backpassing! :houllier:

simplyared

Don't see this as an issue any longer to be fair. Defences are better drilled these days and leave fewer options than they did before. Thus making it harder to make that decisive forward pass. As much criticism as he gets, Matic often finds a way with through tight situations with an effective short pass. Fred, on the other hand, acts quickly but the pass is often sideways or backwards or not even on.
Generally we're as good as anyone else though imo!

Ali Dia

So you mean you never see Fred backpassing! :houllier:
sometimes you gotta go back to go forward. It’s more about tempo and work rate. Who else even tries to push the ball around beyond walking pace most of the time or tries to stop the opponents breaking on us and he does all that while also chipping in with key passes in our attacking moves. He can only do all that because of his crazy and pretty unique engine. Most of our front 4 don’t seem interested in defending from the front and our full backs bomb on and he covers. He does both things pretty well. He’s being expected by our fans to be far more complete and dangerous than other players in the same position for our opposition.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

No Bruno no creativity. We always play a double pivot to protect our defense with the front 4 permanently detached from the rest of the team so we only score form counter attacking, which is why we never create against a team defending, if we play a high back line like we did against Everton then we do create but then any decent team can easily score against us just like Everton.
with Pogba we still don’t create. The players in the pivot isn’t the issue. The issue is we are the highest scoring team in the league but scored 1/4 of our goals in one game. None of our midfielders have been creative beyond getting onto a ball on the edge of the box. Fred has set quite a few goals passing on the edge of the box or winning the ball high up. Bruno and Rashford are carrying the team with their numbers but when they aren’t at it nobody else steps up. Fred just provides a platform for these players to perform. He’s not the reason they are choking or not creating enough

Mindhunter

It happens some times during phases in a game. It also happens with all teams. I think the problem is that we watch our team for 90 minutes while we only watch highlights of other teams. Even prime Barca didn't do what you are asking for consistently.

Also, we have scored the most number of goals in the PL i.e., 49 which is 5 more than Liverpool, 6 more than City, and 11 more than Chelsea.

lsd

The Oracle
Can only play at a faster pace when we learn to pass the ball properly. Too many of our passes are hit behind a player or forcing him wider than he wanted

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We have our off days for sure, but more often than not I think we're massively improving in regards to this.

Sure, we struggled last night. But it was clear both teams were playing somewhat within themselves in order to stay fresh/not wanting to tire out too much. Yes, it is therefore ironic that it went to extra time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah because people usually say your a plastic fan and you have no idea how football is played and so on. I love football and Man United and it sometimes pains me to watch us play. Sometimes so ecstatic! We're here just to exchange ideas. We cannot do anything about it anyway.
Pain and ecstasy
Sounds like a good Utd movie

Ludens the Red

@OleTheGreat
Share the frustration. I think we started seeing some really good stuff against Southampton and Everton. Last night wasn’t great but we made some changes and it was a cup tie against a back eleven so I hope versus West Brom we see some of the stuff we saw in our last two league games.

But it’s still not as consistent as it needs to be. The bit about fixed position is important because most of our players bar Bruno seem to think they’re not allowed to leave their designated position. Is this an instruction? I don’t know but there needs to me more freedom in movement especially in our front three.

But it’s good that this post of yours has come from someone who clearly is pro Ole. Sometimes on here there’s this thought that if you criticise Uniteds style of play it’s just a ploy to lambast Ole.

A few have replied to you that actually we’re great to watch etc and I think I even saw someone say we’re better to watch than City :lol:
I can only describe this as ‘comedy bias’. When people who don’t support Man United start talking about how good are football is then we’ll know we’ve made that final step. At the moment that doesn’t happen.