So after all the concern, how do you rate our squad’s midfield?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We have good #6s and good #10s, I don't think we have any good #8's which leaves it a little unbalanced. You could put together a half decent midfield though, Bruno, Ambrabat and Casemiro would be my pick and I think that's strong enough to take on most midfields in the league albeit defensive.

CM

Not very highly. The balance concerns me and relies heavily on Amrabat and/or Mainoo hitting the ground running. McTominay should've been forced out and I don't rate the Mount signing at all.

mintyred

Unless something happens at the tenth hour, our midfield unit is set. Amrabat is included as we’ll get that over the line, right?

Perhaps McTominay and Van de Beek go, but let’s assume they don’t:

Defensive midfielders/DM’s/#6’s: Casemiro, Amrabat, McTominay*, Gore

Central midfielders/CM’s/#8’s: McTominay, Amrabat, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo, Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Van de Beek

Attacking midfielders/AM’s/“#10’s”: Bruno, Mount, Eriksen, Hannibal, Van de Beek

Collective: Amrabat, Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, Gore, Hannibal, Mainoo, McTominay, Mount, Van de Beek (10 players)

Are you happy with this collective? Where do you see them taking us to? And is it enough to cover until at least January?

Will update if aforementioned players leave.
It doesn't feel like we've got a plan, it feels like we've got remains of old managers and whatever we could find. There doesn't seem to be much balance and it feels like we're trying to play 3 ways at once.

Telsim

If the goal is to compete for Top 5, then I suppose it's good enough.

If the goal is elite competition, it's out of the question.

So, basically what we've been doing for the past 10 years. Not awful, not great, just patently average.

TheRedHearted

2 DMs and an AM who basically does play in midfield, is balanced?
If you remember the way casemiro can bring the ball forward and play a key pass into our forwards then yes. It is balanced. If he an Amrabat can communicate well we will be dangerous if they make sure one slots backwards while the other drives forwards.

wolvored

We have been hampered with the parasites still in charge. We have been fortunate that Amrabat only wanted Utd.
Overall comparing with other teams midfield, we aint better than City or Arsenals midfield on paper. Maybe level with Newcastle and slightly in front of Liverpool and Spurs.
What I am hoping for is Mainoo to come on leaps and bounds over the season, maybe Mejbri gets game time and possibly Gore as well.
With new owners hopefully next season a ball carrying midfielder like FDJ is bought to supplement the rest and Casemiro will probably head off to Saudi for a large fee.

BillJonesUK

Unless something happens at the tenth hour, our midfield unit is set. Amrabat is included as we’ll get that over the line, right?

Perhaps McTominay and Van de Beek go, but let’s assume they don’t:

Defensive midfielders/DM’s/#6’s: Casemiro, Amrabat, McTominay*, Gore

Central midfielders/CM’s/#8’s: McTominay, Amrabat, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo, Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Van de Beek

Attacking midfielders/AM’s/“#10’s”: Bruno, Mount, Eriksen, Hannibal, Van de Beek

Collective: Amrabat, Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, Gore, Hannibal, Mainoo, McTominay, Mount, Van de Beek (10 players)

Are you happy with this collective? Where do you see them taking us to? And is it enough to cover until at least January?

Will update if aforementioned players leave.
McTominay & Van De Beek will leave & unfortunately Eriksen doesn’t have the legs but if we get Amrabat Alongside Casemiro and Bruno we will challenge anyone.

BillJonesUK

We have been hampered with the parasites still in charge. We have been fortunate that Amrabat only wanted Utd.
Overall comparing with other teams midfield, we aint better than City or Arsenals midfield on paper. Maybe level with Newcastle and slightly in front of Liverpool and Spurs.
What I am hoping for is Mainoo to come on leaps and bounds over the season, maybe Mejbri gets game time and possibly Gore as well.
With new owners hopefully next season a ball carrying midfielder like FDJ is bought to supplement the rest and Casemiro will probably head off to Saudi for a large fee.
Why would we want FDJ ? He didn’t want to come to us so let’s concentrate on players who want to play for us

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We realistically have 6 options: Amrabat, Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, Mount, I wouldn't count on the others too much this season, they are either too young or VDB.
I would choose this as our starting midfield(without seeing too much of the newcomer):

Casemiro-Amrabat
Bruno

with the others playing a role in different scenarios or change of form.

In terms of numbers we are more than ok, in terms of quality I'd say a 6.5/10.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If Mainoo can step up it’s fine. Otherwise bad.

Jeffthered

Amrabat adds something... we needed to freshen it up. Year's of McT and Fred hasn't been good. Casimero is not as bad as Carragher suggests, but these players will help. Mainoo and Ericksen are good football players, they are key.. Mount and Bruno attack the box in different ways and are responsible players. If ETH can get them into a decent, disciplined, clearly structured shape, with defined roles (and this is key...), playing with confidence, then we should be ok. There's no reason why we should not compete with all other midfield's, may bar citeh, but they are weaker in there this season.

I worry about the attacking unit... that's been my concern for ages. But big welcome to Amrabat (and Rasmus). Go make a name for yourselves! :)

Abraxas

I'm going to pretend Van de Beek doesn't exist because that's essentially how he plays and how regularly he plays.

The positives:

We have a world class defensive midfielder in Casemiro, and I think we have offered him some much needed support in Amrabat. This allows much more flexibility. We can shore up the midfield with both, we can potentially rest Casemiro more often (but must be careful that Amrabat can provide defensive solidity in some games)

Amrabat seems a really good progressive and consistent passer and in a similar vein Eriksen has a decent amount to offer if not overburdened.

Bruno is a world class player and gives a genuine X factor.

Mainoo could break through and looks very talented and this is important given the age profiles we see among some of our best midfielders. Fingers crossed.

The negatives:

Do we lack some mobility that will be exposed with the likes of Bruno, Mount high up the pitch at times? I think this is possible with an axis of Eriksen, Casemiro and Amrabat. It looks a bit trundley.

Do we give the ball away too frequently with the types we have?

What do we do with Mason Mount? I'm a bit baffled by how we're supposed to use him and as a result why he was a priority signing.

Scott McTominay is not great so I wouldn't rely on him for depth too often, but it's okay I suppose, no real issue with him around the squad.

Ceteris

A forward short i reckon. what worroes me is our great Dane has a back injury and these tend to pop up at some point in the season

If that happens it back to Rashford and Martial

Hammondo

If you remember the way casemiro can bring the ball forward and play a key pass into our forwards then yes. It is balanced. If he an Amrabat can communicate well we will be dangerous if they make sure one slots backwards while the other drives forwards.
Ah, but I think casemiro is a bit old for that, he's not aged well and has lost quite a bit of mobility.

Plastic Evra

On paper the midfield looks pretty good actually with Amrabat in provided he lives up to expectations. Not necessarily in the sense that we have 1 for 1 cover for every post but an unit where you get partial cover on the whole spectrum : Amrabat is up to replacing Casemiro if needed, but can also do some of what we expect of Eriksen when partnered with Casemiro, The Dane himself can sub in for Mount or Fernandes etc...
Even McTominay and van der Beek (as a depth option at 10) could have some contributions to make. We'll see how well Mainoo slot in and if Hannibal can get a few minutes too.

Zoo

Happy with Amrabat and Mount being new to the mix. Can’t judge fully until we see what Mainoo is all about. That injury was so annoying.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Our midfield have never been as bad as some make out, but I do think ten Hag has a duty to make sure he gets the balance right, which we've yet to see so far this season.

That said, I do think we lack a first phase midfielder.

What do you think @Champ?
We haven't had a top midfield since Carrick retired. Potentially, we have a very good midfield. I have three questions, though.

- Is Amrabat a quality PL midfielder? I just need to see it happen before I believe.
- Will Mount fit in and where?
- Can Casemiro be good for the whole season?

If two answers are negative, it could be another long season with a weak midfield like the past 10 years. Fingers crossed.

Swerny

Poster originally known MS MSP
It's better than McFred...so 6/10

I still don't get the Mount signing, not what we needed and too much $

Can't believe VDB wasn't moved

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Our midfield have never been as bad as some make out, but I do think ten Hag has a duty to make sure he gets the balance right, which we've yet to see so far this season.

That said, I do think we lack a first phase midfielder.

What do you think @Champ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said. :wenger:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m trying to get my head around how it will work. We’ve got Bruno, Case, Mount, Amrabat, McT, Mainoo, DVB all presumably vying to fit into a midfield 3 whether it’s a double or single pivot. I guess we have cover/options at least now but I think we sold the wrong MF.

wolvored

Why would we want FDJ ? He didn’t want to come to us so let’s concentrate on players who want to play for us
Where have I said to sign FDJ I said a player like him. I know FDJ doesnt want to come.

wolvored

We realistically have 6 options: Amrabat, Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, Mount, I wouldn't count on the others too much this season, they are either too young or VDB.
I would choose this as our starting midfield(without seeing too much of the newcomer):

Casemiro-Amrabat
Bruno

with the others playing a role in different scenarios or change of form.

In terms of numbers we are more than ok, in terms of quality I'd say a 6.5/10.
TH has said Mainoo will play and hes promised Mejbri game time as well, but I dont think he will get as much as Mainoo.

Daily_Blind

I think Amrabat can potentially make it a much better unit because we’ve really lacked enough midfielders with the ability to play deep, break up play, stay composed and move the ball forward. Case can do it but not entirely on his own. Bruno is very good. Mount is average. Erickson is slowing down and lacks defensive attributes but produces sublime passes. I’m curious to see what Hannibal can eventually offer. He appears to me to have improved his game in the last year or so and is a little more calm and composed on the ball now.

Trequarista10

Amrabat signing is exactly what we needed.

Question mark remains over Mount being able to adapt into the number 8 role.

windycityfan

In my opinion, it depends on the pairings:

* Two attacking 8s (Bruno and Mount) and single pivot (Casemiro or Amrabat)? 5/10
* An attacking midfielder (Bruno or Mount), a ball carrying 8 (Eriksen) with a DM (Casemiro or Amrabat)? 7/10
* An attacking midfielder (Bruno or Mount), a pressing 8 (Amrabat) with a DM (Casemiro)? 6/10

Too early to tell what Mainoo can do, or I don’t feel McTominay makes the above any better.

windycityfan

Casemiro one of the best DM in the world. Bruno one of the best AM in the world. The big question mark is our 8.
Not quite about Casemiro. But that aside, you’re spot on- this is exactly why we needed a class #8, and none of the shit we brought Mount in for.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Mount seems unnecessary purchase but ETH hinted he has different plans for him.

Overall pretty good window. If we had accepted 30m for Scott and Harry had accepted WHU offer, this would have been great window. I assume we would have got a CB to replace Harry

OldTrevil

I'd give it a B- potentially for now, but lets see how they get on the pitch.

SamVimes

At the moment it is a 7/10 for me, with a 3/10 for sales. Not sure about the midfield, but goalie and striker good buys.

ManRed

Lot of cover and numbers in midfield.

Bruno / Eriksen / Mount / VDB

Amrabat ------------Casemiro
Eriksen --------------Amrabat
Scott
Mainoo

We were 1 bruno and casemiro injury away from our midfield quality dropping massively. I think its the last season for Eriksen, VDB, Scott anyways and will be playing small part in the season.

jesperjaap

We have good #6s and good #10s, I don't think we have any good #8's which leaves it a little unbalanced. You could put together a half decent midfield though, Bruno, Ambrabat and Casemiro would be my pick and I think that's strong enough to take on most midfields in the league albeit defensive.
Completly agree with the majority of this, we have bought two midfielders and for me there best positions are not the one we most needed to really improve. Aramabat is a number 6, isnt really progressive but could do the defensive part of the role where as Mount is a number 10 and the opposite.

As you say think it improves our options a lot in two positions, but personally the players I think offer the most at number 8 are Hannibal who wont even get a look in and Mainoo.

In terms of balance to the midfield and success, Mainoo has a lot of pressure to come through and will he get that opportunity starting after those signings?

I think the midfield you suggest looks pretty solid and should be better defensively than the debacle we have seen so far, and will contain possesion far better too....but in terms of progression...its reliant on Casemeiro actually being more of an 8 than Aramabat and the inconsistencies of Fernandes and his passing, it is definately in my mind at least lacking as a creative force, especially with the lack of movement in front of it....hopefully the addition of Hoijlund changes that.

The positive part for me, is we should now have much better progression from the back to midfield having Onana and stronger, more positionally aware and consistent players of the simple pass in the pivots....but midfield to attack, still a concern

Ollie Derbyshire

I think our midfield is getting a lot of negativity, if ETH can get them well drilled there’s no reason a combination can’t come out of them depending on the opposition. I think we have a very good mix.

croadyman

It gives us a year to assess our options and bring in a bit of worldie next summer. We basically need young versions of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes to appear from thin air within the next twelve months.
Guaranteed that only happens IF we finally get the new owners we need to compete again,otherwise can see major issues signing players and another window where we still can't shift McTominay & Maguire

Yagami

Good post resistant
About a 5/10

If Amrabat can get back to his Verona levels, a 7, but he's had years of managers messing with his game so it's not a dead cert.

croadyman

I expect the Amadou Onana rumours to return next summer. Could see us being genuinely interested there.
Does he carry the ball well enough though,dream would be for Qataris to come in and lure Camavinga/Tchouameni next summer. However a more realistic top CM target is Barella.