So how come we look like a football team again?

Thisistheone

We've played 10 games in a row without a loss in all competitions. The current longest streak since the first 11 game surge under Ole before he became permanent manager.

In that game span we've kept 8 clean sheets, scored 23 and allowed a grand total of 2 goals.

How big a corner do you need turned to see the positives here?
Might be wrong here but our XGoals stats are looking very good this time round where as the first 11 games under Ole the underlying numbers hinted at a big drop off.

Camilo

Long may it continue. Having the squad all fit at the same time is massive, and Fred, Maguire, AWB all getting settled a bit more making a big difference. I think Ole has done a good job of settling things down over the last 12 months too, and that's paying off. Good signings, simple play styles, good atmosphere and energy. You can't ask a manager to do much more than he has so far. Is he the man to take us forward and win something? Well he's no track record at all, but as long as we keep progressing he has to stay. As soon as things stagnate we can upgrade.

I don't think Ole is ultimately the man to take us right back to the top of Europe, but he could be challenging for the league next year... He should be challenging. City has stalled and Liverpool will drop right off.. We've a good squad, we've had a good squad for the last 6 months... But I suppose that's another chat.

Good fun times.

Camilo

We have got decisions our way that should be going our way within the laws of the game. If anything, the number of overturned decisions we have had this year just shows how much we got screwed by refs before VAR. Even yesterday we didn't get a penalty we should be getting. Its not like we are being handed decisions by luck, those are the correct decisions we haven't been getting for so many years.
No team has been getting the correct decisions. It all evens itself out. We got bad decisions no more often than any other team. VAR doesn't really change anything.

Theo88

It could be my red tinted glasses but since Bruno joined I've noticed players trying fancier through balls more often than usual.
Also Wan Bissaka has been ramping it up which is amazing to see. If that guy becomes better offensively goodness me what a player he can be.

ReddBalls

Bruno Fernandes.
Brilliant signing, and he entered a team built to his strengths.

When Ed Woodward visited Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s training-ground office just days after installing him in Jose Mourinho’s chair he was taken aback by what he saw.

As the pair chatted about the direction of a Manchester United team that had been on the road to nowhere for too long, Solskjaer suddenly played his trump card.

He produced a flip chart with United in formation with names or question marks in every position – a vision of how HIS United would look in the future.

“We need some transfer windows before then, but I set that plan out for Ed within a couple of weeks when I came here.

“I’m old school. I am not the iPad or powerpoint-presentation type! For me it’s a flip chart – write it down and put in the names. Yep, yep, no, no, yes. Players, gaps, holes. With what’s happened since, one or two things have changed – but he has known from the start what I think this group needs.

“I’d been watching. I had a clear idea of what a United team should look like. I have been part of a United team and I wanted to go back to our traditions of attacking.

“Quick, attacking football with pace, power, and personalities out there. And that is what we are doing. I can see fruits of what we’re doing. The seeds we’re laying are starting to pop up.

“Obviously we are one or two players down in numbers but it doesn’t have to be all done in this (January) window, it might be the summer window. But we are going to strengthen. We are going to get starters into this team. We need to.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-outlines-plan-21099212

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No team has been getting the correct decisions. It all evens itself out. We got bad decisions no more often than any other team. VAR doesn't really change anything.
Well then why bring it up in regards to the team's performance? I don't know if you were the poster who wrote that but whoever did, it's a silly thing to think that VAR has in anyway helped us this season. We've simply gotten the decisions we should be getting.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Team spirit is a very big reason for me. They look united and they are playing for each other. A lot of people scoffed at McTominays recent comment about players having dinner together, but it means something. I'll bet my last dollar that the free kick routine that we scored with yesterday was cooked up after training had finished.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
First half of the season you were regularly starting Andreas Pereria. Now it's Bruno Fernandes.

Much better structure and discipline in central midfield now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Based on what?
Based on the fact that he is the first manager in a long time to get majority of his players playing to the best of their ability for a start. Based on the fact that in several games, he has shown an ability to conjure a plan and execute it against teams who probably have more talent than us (at least more talent on the pitch in that game). And due to the fact that the team’s performances have been better and more offensive since he’s come in.

I think he’s the man, and have said for a while that we need to endure the caterpillar in order to get to the butterfly. But I think the butterfly is imminent and it will be beautiful.

Gasolin

You bring up a good point. One of the big changes has been the emergence of leaders on the pitch. Lindelof delivered an impossible pass to Bruno, and instead of ignoring it, Bruno made a motion to Lindelof like “what are you thinking?” A game or two ago Maguire threw Fred away from the ref after he received a yellow for arguing and he continued to argue on Fred’s behalf saving him from a red card. Early in the season it was every man for himself. Now they seem like a proper team. De Gea celebrating that second goal like he scored it himself, don’t recall seeing that before.
You’ve seen that same move for De Gea when Rashford scored the penalty against PSG. But yes, that’s what Ole brings to United. We are going to be an exceptional team very soon when we allow our manager to have hi players. I truly believe it now. And it seems players believe it too.

arthurka

It's not only Bruno.. his signing added the quality and depth to this squad that we needed it also allowed Ole to kick out Lingard and Pereira.

thepolice123

It's not hindsight at all if you're one of the posters who called it all along on Matic. Look at my history and you'll see it. Ivaldo (who hates Matic) will no certainly back me up here.

So it's hindsight for you maybe, but speak for yourself, and I'd argue that if you think you needed proof from Matic that he is a miles better player than Lingard or Andreas, you need your head checking. The bolded above blows me away. Andreas and Lingard have never been close to fit to lace Matic boots.
My point is simple, you don't have to keep jumping the gun over everything. Matic in CM/DM is obviously the better choice over Lingard and Pereira.

However, Matic was clearly in poor form and out of favour at the start of the season. Ole also wanted to give Lingard and Pereira chances to play. But to solely pin point his decision to play them as the reason for our poor form in the first four fecking games is just bizarre at best.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
What are the stats like for our last ten games versus Ole's first ten in charge as caretaker?

rotherham_red

Based on the fact that he is the first manager in a long time to get majority of his players playing to the best of their ability for a start. Based on the fact that in several games, he has shown an ability to conjure a plan and execute it against teams who probably have more talent than us (at least more talent on the pitch in that game). And due to the fact that the team’s performances have been better and more offensive since he’s come in.

I think he’s the man, and have said for a while that we need to endure the caterpillar in order to get to the butterfly. But I think the butterfly is imminent and it will be beautiful.
+1

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well he didn't have to play them @Theo88 and @Wumminator . For a start he could and should have used Mata more over these two non PL standard footballers, he would 100% have provided more goals, assists and quality even if he's not at Bruno's level.

Ole literally started the season for the first 4 games before Pogba's injury with Matic and Tuanzebe benched (2 DM options there, and Mata benched) and played Pogba deep so that he could fit one of Lingard or Andreas in at AM. In game 5 he put Fred on the bench to start Andreas. When Pogba came back he benched Matic AND Fred so he could play both of them vs. Arsenal :lol:. In the following game we lost to Newcastle with Matic benched for Andreas again. By this point we're up to October 6th, we've an awful record in the league and the management team is still refusing to start a single game without either Andreas or Lingard in the starting line-up despite having much better options than them on the bench.

After October 6th, Matic is injured, Pogba is out for months and your point becomes "somewhat valid", until January the management had not much choice if they didn't wanna go with Mata or a youth product like say Gomes.

So let's be honest here, the management team clearly believed in the two of them at the start of the season. There's a strong chance we went purposely into this season not pursuing the Bruno option due to optimism that Andreas or Lingard would "step up".

Once again people, don't rewrite the past. It happened, the management have learnt from it and corrected it. That's good management to always learn and to continue to evolve. It may well be the pig-headedness that prevents Mourinho from ever being a top top manager again.
True, but to be fair i dont think anyone expected them to be that bad. Mata is surely a level above these two jokers, but he does not have the legs to play week in and week out and even if he did he often struggles vs athletic defenders who beats him on both pace and strength

Lindgard getting Ravioli as his agent probably means hes being moved on and despite Pereria saying he want to stay here and "fight for his spot" i highly doubt he has much a future here seeing as hes been sent to the doghouse after Bruno arrived.

Both of them had way to many chances this season though so hopefully we''ve seen the last of them

TRUERED89

Defence concentrating and working hard, Bruno & Martial chemistry.. No JLingz or Andreas. Resurgence of Matic, return of McT and Fred working his socks off and looking forward at every opportunity possible. Plus Ighalo is a real presence with neat hold up play too.

bsCallout

It's not hindsight at all if you're one of the posters who called it all along on Matic. Look at my history and you'll see it. Ivaldo (who hates Matic) will no certainly back me up here.

So it's hindsight for you maybe, but speak for yourself, and I'd argue that if you think you needed proof from Matic that he is a miles better player than Lingard or Andreas, you need your head checking. The bolded above blows me away. Andreas and Lingard have never been close to fit to lace Matic boots.
Matic was useless at the end of last season and during the summer. Most wanted him gone. He's in the best form he's been in for years. That is because of how Ole treated him, and helped motivate him etc etc.

Andreas and Lingard weren't Matic replacements and Pogba isn't a no.10.

stevoc

Big time it can't be understated just how much of a detriment those two, Lingard especially can be to an attack. And we've spent most of the season play one or both regularly due to injuries.
No Steve, it had nothing to do with injuries until October, from October their choices were reduced to Mata or Gomes or one of Lingard/Andreas. Before October they had plenty of options like shifting Pogba forward and playing Matic or Fred, hell, even playing Tuanzebe. But time and time again miles better midfielders were put on the bench to accommodate Lingard or Andreas. The management quite clearly rated the two of them and wanted to give them a chance.

As I said earlier, you don't have to rewrite history to defend Ole and make out every move he has made has been "forced" or "perfect", making mistakes and quickly learning from that is all part of good management. I'd prefer him not to have learnt this "on the job" but feck it, if he's a quick learner, and Bruno, Ighalo say he is, fair fecks.
To be fair to me mate i did say they were being played most of the season due to injuries. Not the whole season, i wasn't particularly trying to defend Solskjaer. One of my own criticisms of him this season has been his continued faith in Lingard.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Bruno has been fantastic for us but I also feel at ease when I know Fred is playing alongside Matic and McTominay in our midfield. I feel that quartet are really doing well for us right now.

Without Pogba and Rashford as well which a few months ago I was dreading. We look fantastic. With these two guys back and a few additions in the summer we will be up there. There are games we’ve played this season where we play some incredible stuff and I don’t think Ole gets enough credit. He has our tails up and I am confident last nights win will give us a lift to go and beat Tottenham. We have to keep up this run.

Dve

To things: Fernando + the winter break.

Our lowest point this season came right after Rashford got injured (losses to Liverpool and Burnley at home). Without him, we looked incapable of creating chances, let alone scoring goals. At the same time, the crazy fixture before the winter break gave us no time to actually train, so Fernandes yes, he´s had a huge impact, but so did the winter break - both in terms of restitution + finding an attacking strategy that didn´t involve Rashford.

::sonny::

3 reasons:

- Bruno Fernandes
- Martial and Rashord can't play together
- Pereira and Lingard not playing anymore

These are the reasons of the improved performances

Luke1995

Ole ? Come on guys. If Ole was this genius, why didn't things look like this a year ago ?

RedRJ

Long may it continue. Having the squad all fit at the same time is massive, and Fred, Maguire, AWB all getting settled a bit more making a big difference. I think Ole has done a good job of settling things down over the last 12 months too, and that's paying off. Good signings, simple play styles, good atmosphere and energy. You can't ask a manager to do much more than he has so far. Is he the man to take us forward and win something? Well he's no track record at all, but as long as we keep progressing he has to stay. As soon as things stagnate we can upgrade.

I don't think Ole is ultimately the man to take us right back to the top of Europe, but he could be challenging for the league next year... He should be challenging. City has stalled and Liverpool will drop right off.. We've a good squad, we've had a good squad for the last 6 months... But I suppose that's another chat.

Good fun times.
Completely agree. I also don’t know whether Ole has what it takes to get us back to the top in England/ Europe, but, assuming the current upward trend in form is sustained until the end of the season, I can’t see that it would make sense to change manager again in the summer. Inevitably, any new manager would have a different view of players he wants and we’d potentially be back to square one and rebuilding again. I think that Ole is earning the right to try to get us a bit closer to the top of the table next season.

Reactions: Sultan

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Matic was useless at the end of last season and during the summer. Most wanted him gone. He's in the best form he's been in for years. That is because of how Ole treated him, and helped motivate him etc etc.

Andreas and Lingard weren't Matic replacements and Pogba isn't a no.10.
I certainly agree that Matic has made a huge difference.
He is a very physical but uncomplicated player and when he is in good form, he has a big impact. Andreas and Lingard are too weak.

But, we are all looking far stronger and more physical. Especially Maguire, Shaw and Wan Bissaka.
And the addition of Bruno has been transformational.
So it is reasonable to give Ole much credit.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
3 reasons:

- Bruno Fernandes
- Martial and Rashord can't play together
- Pereira and Lingard not playing anymore

These are the reasons of the improved performances
What? Martial and Rashford were hitting form before Rashford got injured.

boxykronikle

Ole and Bruno.

Injuries didn't help us much either but now with most players back, I do think Ole will make the right calls more than he has to deal with the two jokers. He has an idea of how his squad should be and it is showing now. Previously, we tried to build the team around Pogba and it has failed miserably because as simple as Pogba is not a no.10.

Not to mention that Ole has transformed the team back to the way it is supposed to be. Players are lifted and we are reaping the fruits now.

Bruno came at the right time to fill that no. 10 spot. He has been all positives so far. 3 goals and 5 assists after a month or two in joining us is quite a feat.

VanGaalEra

We’ve become increasingly solid since Matic came back into the team. Added Bruno to the mix and our attack has improved also.

Spine of the team looks good.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We've done well ever since Woodward's house was attacked. Clearly the mild terrorism method was an effective one.

Ekeke

I feel like its an attacking version of the Ander effect from last season. Last season when Ander came into the team starting, especially in the big matches, it seemed like his enthusiasm and will to aggressively win the ball inspired several teammates around him to try harder and they did better at it also.

With Bruno however its the attacking players being galvanised with players like Mata suddenly looking fresh like he's 6 years younger. The attackers know he's going to look to make things happen and quickly so their runs are going to be rewarded with being given the ball in dangerous areas. They dont feel like they have to come to the ball to collect it and then look for someone else making runs. Although if they do that, Bruno himself will be making an advanced run to join the striker and they can put him in too. He's essentially given both the creativity to find other players making good runs and also he himself makes good runs so that other players on the ball might be able to play him through. What more could you want from a new attacking teammate? If that doesnt make football fun again nothing will.